Mille Monti 1953 [DESIGN VOTING]

This is true. The first three Corvettes were also built on pretty much traditional ladder frames.

aluminium bodyshells were also very common on limited-production cars of the time (including sports cars)

So basically, ā€œPlease like, comment and subscribe, and donā€™t forget to tap the bell for notifications!ā€

3 Likes

any chance we could get screenshots showing how to do this? I doubt players who donā€™t pay attention to anything campaign wise(including myself) know what exactly youā€™re wanting us to do here.

3 Likes

Just making sure iā€™m interpreting this right. Sports is open top stuff like the porsche 550 and maserati birdcage and Touring is stuff like a Ferrari 340 America coupe or Fiat 8V or Aston DB4?

GT cars like the aston or ferrari would probably also fall under sports (although Iā€™m unsure of their construction so maybe they might be touring if they had unibody or steel panels?)

the touring class is more designed for cars that arenā€™t purpose-built performers

The screenshots are already part of the soon to be published announcement video. Iā€™ll grab them when Iā€™m back home and also add them to the challenge brief here. Thanks for the hint!

Sports is anything limited production, no matter if open or closed top, sports ā€œprototypeā€ or GT. Touring is ā€œmass productionā€ with more than 2 seats. The target demographics show the distinction as well, but Iā€™ll separate the inspiration images into the two groups.

3 Likes

Just to be sure, is every entrant limited to a total of 1 car each (regardless of class)?

Yes, only one entry. I though I already had this in the text, but I added it now.

Do we have any idea what a decent time is for each leg in each class? Just as a reference, to make sure Iā€™m not completely off pace.

You may know already, but both the Fiat 1100 and Lancia Aurelia in your Touring category actually raced in the Sports class IRL. I canā€™t quite figure out why the Aurelia was, but my guess is that the production numbers were too low for the Touring class?

Anyway, hereā€™s a film about the real event that may give some inspiration.

Also a bunch of data about the cars, including a list of entries and photos where available:

https://www.racingsportscars.com/race/Mille_Miglia-1953-04-26.html

5 Likes

Does change version to stable broke cars with beta only engineering parts?

Have a look at the spreadsheet. There are some figures Der Bayer has left in there which may help.

Iā€™m pretty clueless in the old days of cars. Would having any sort of toe in be a realism bin? If not, how viable or authentic it would be in the setting of this challenge? Thanks in advance!

What I meant is that, since Iā€™m trying to build a car for the touring class, I donā€™t know how big the gap might be realistically: as of now, Iā€™m like 1 and a half hours behind the spreadsheet time, but I donā€™t know if thatā€™s ā€œnormalā€ for a touring car based on these rules or if Iā€™m somehow miles behind because Iā€™m missing something.

I didnā€™t make it clear before, my bad.

As far as I know, a little bit of toe would not be unusual at that time, but Iā€™m not sure of any specific examples.

Question, which I assume wouldnā€™t affect many people if any

Are there rules against tire lettering? I have researched some old Dunlops that had lettering in white.

2 Likes

Hi, I am new to the forum and its my first time joining a comp so apologies for what may be stupid questions. I am hoping to get some clarification on the rules.

• For the tech pool does 5 mean +5 over the default setting? Slider moved +5?
  • Is ā€œnormalized desirabilityā€ the ā€œbest desirabilityā€ field in game @ max sales price?
  • How do I ā€œmaxā€ out a sales price? Seems like I can mark up the car to whatever I want without a limit
  • And is the normalized desirability based on all regions or a specific region?

Yeah, I know, and before posting I thought ā€œnobody will care or noticeā€ :smiley: . The ruleset for the Mille Monti is not 100% realistic, and I just put the images into the categories that would suit them best. In the end, what decides what goes where is you chassis / panel / seating choice and the target demographics. If it works in-game, it is fine. Images are just there for a rough idea how things could look like.

Iā€™d suggest to make a copy of your sandbox database first before switching back to stable if you were on beta. I donā€™t know if it will break.

I will not do any realism bins based on slider settings and at all, as long as the car is built according to the given rules (and not an obvious meme entry).

No rules against that. Do it if you think it looks good/realistic.

Default setting. Screenshot will be added to original post for clarification in a minute.

Screenshot added in original post for clarification.

Your budget is the approximate cost from the ā€œDetailed Statsā€ tab. By choosing more expensive parts/materials/quality settings, you can max it out. The sales price in the ā€œMarketsā€ Tab needs to be set to the approximate cost limit manually. Screenshots added to original post.

All regions for the sake of simplicity. I had this in mind and forgot to list it. Will do so now. Thanks for the reminder!

4 Likes

I thought fuel economy would be a consideration here - but it hasnā€™t been listed as a factor yet. Or should it? After all, more economy means less time spent stopping to refuel (and fewer fuel stops, to boot) - Iā€™m assuming the crews must use their onboard supplies to do so, if they ever have to.

Also, I think it feels odd to allow the use of fiberglass panels for any Touring class entry, even though real-life equivalents generally had steel bodies. Then again, such lightweight materials may be too expensive for those classes anyway.