Modding Tutorial 2 - Taillights

http://youtu.be/lTFBl9pNW40

Thanks.

Will there be a body creator (to make a body from scratch), or can you create bodies from scratch already. I really want to recreate this body from the Bentley Continental GT (My Favourite Car Of All Time)

Hopefully, because then when v12’s (possibly W12’s) are released, i can recreate the car :smiley:

[size=200]nicroh007 (C.E.O of RHC and RAE Pty Ltd)[/size]

You can make the body right now if you want. 3DS Max is advised as that is what the plugins are for. If you use something else then make it in there and then export it in a file format that 3DS Max supports.

There is no tutorial yet as to how to set up the car body and I have only seen one livestream so far when the devs were making a body and setting it up ready to go in game (and I know they have probably streamed this many more times before), so I have no idea what you have to do. There should be a tutorial eventually, but the devs have a million and one other things to do as well.

There won’t be any kind of ingame body creator, no, as that’d be almost impossible. It’d basically have to be an entire 3d modeling package built into the game.

You will be able to build new car bodies with 3ds max though, yes. And we will eventually do tutorial videos for that. It’s not easy though, and you’d need to be quite skilled at 3d modeling to get good results.

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]There won’t be any kind of ingame body creator, no, as that’d be almost impossible. It’d basically have to be an entire 3d modeling package built into the game.

You will be able to build new car bodies with 3ds max though, yes. And we will eventually do tutorial videos for that. It’s not easy though, and you’d need to be quite skilled at 3d modeling to get good results.[/quote]

I better start learning :laughing:

[quote=“nicroh007”][quote=“Daffyflyer”]There won’t be any kind of ingame body creator, no, as that’d be almost impossible. It’d basically have to be an entire 3d modeling package built into the game.

You will be able to build new car bodies with 3ds max though, yes. And we will eventually do tutorial videos for that. It’s not easy though, and you’d need to be quite skilled at 3d modeling to get good results.[/quote]

I better start learning :laughing:[/quote]

Yes! there are loads of free tutorials and resources on the internet for learning. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Daffyflyer”][quote=“nicroh007”][quote=“Daffyflyer”]There won’t be any kind of ingame body creator, no, as that’d be almost impossible. It’d basically have to be an entire 3d modeling package built into the game.

I better start learning :laughing:[/quote]

Yes! there are loads of free tutorials and resources on the internet for learning. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Great! I’ll show you the finished result when i’m done (maybe 2 months at my artistic talent :laughing: )

Anyone know how I get the bones to move once I place the headlights?

Hmmm, assuming you’ve done the skinning step correctly they should just WORK.

Send me the files and I’ll take a look when I get a chance. :slight_smile:

I can get everything to work but the materials. The UV mesh just won’t make the texture tile no matter what I do. I have 2 finished models, but I can’t release them because the materials are just solid colour.

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]Hmmm, assuming you’ve done the skinning step correctly they should just WORK.

Send me the files and I’ll take a look when I get a chance. :slight_smile:[/quote]

It’s been sent. :slight_smile:

In the headlights, what are the [0], [1], [2]… in the lua file?

In the grilles, are explained:

--This vent has 2 materials, [1] is the texture grille, [0] is car body paint Materials = { [1] = ECS_STANDARDMAT, [0] = ECS_BODY, },

But in the headlights, aren’t explained very well.

It depends on the headlight, and on the way you modelled it. My Audi headlight has 7 different materials for an instance, numbered [0] to [6]

But which is the function of this numbers

Every number means a separate material. So, if your headlight is all chrome, you will only have one material, which will be [0]. If you have some black plastic and some chrome, one of them will be [0] and one of them will be [1] (though you gotta experiment to determine which is which, because it differs between headlights.) Also note that headlight glass materials (normal Materials) and headlight casing materials (SkinnedMaterials or something like that) have separate numbering.

When in the game I put a custom headlight (made by me); Says that had no bones (JELLY UVMESH), and closes.

Well if it says it has no bones, it means it has no bones. :stuck_out_tongue: Double check that you have skinned the model properly, and have added the bones.

The bones are the dummies?

I can’t fix the bones in the headlight.

Yes, the bones should be the dummies. Test it by moving one of the dummies and see if it also moves some of the verts of the headlight.