Monolith [Vän]

Back to the usual with what should have been an IAA reveal, but isn’t therefore its here.

The Saturn is not only the 2nd longest running Monolith SUV after the M-Series, It’s also the only car based SUV aside from the Meteor. The larger Saturn comes with six engine options, three Diesel and three Petrol. A 2.7L Inline 6 Turbodiesel and a 2.25L Inline 6 Petrol mark the entry level trim which is the only one available in RWD and using a 6-speed manual transmission as standard. One step above reside the 3.4L Diesel and the Monolith version of the 3.0L Turbo I6, with 3.3L and 300hp. From this point on Viscous AWD with a 43/57 F/R split is standard equipment. The Saturn S1 and R1 have sports tuned suspension and more powerful versions of the 3.4L Diesel and the 3.3L Petrol. The only visual difference between them and other Saturns are dual exhausts.

Stats:
Saturn 225:
2.25L Inline 6 Turbocharged [IMP KE-25MET], 250hp, 370Nm, 1470-1595kg, 6MT or 8AT, RWD or AWD, $46,750

Saturn 330:
3.3L Inline 6 Turbocharged [IMP JG-33MET], 305hp, 490Nm, 1570-1685kg, 7MT or 8AT, AWD, $54,630

Saturn S1:
3.3L Inline 6 Turbocharged [IMP JG-33T], 370hp, 540Nm, 1665kg, 7MT or 8AT, AWD, $59,620

Saturn 270D:
2.7L Inline 6 Turbodiesel [IMP D623M T-V215], 214hp, 500Nm, 1485-1700kg, 6MT or 8AT, RWD or AWD, $48,000

Saturn 340D:
3.4L Inline 6 Turbodiesel [IMP D634M T-V245], 245hp, 580Nm, 1599-1760kg, 7MT or 8AT, AWD, $53,200

Saturn R1:
3.4L Inline 6 Turbodiesel [IMP D634M T-V320], 320hp, 710Nm, 1685kg, 7MT or 8AT, AWD, $63,999

4 Likes

How we work: A new irregular series in which we’ll present selected technologies and features commonly used on vehicles of the IMP group, to expand on the company lore and to change up my usual presentation style.

Ep.1, The Monolith “TwinTrac” Axle.

The TwinTrac axle is quickly explained. It is in essence just a live axle but instead of a conventional leaf or coil spring setup it exemplifies the IMP tradition of overengineering most things like few other things by employing not one, but two sets of coil springs and shock absorbers per wheel. The springs used have longer travel and are actually softer than common coil springs. By this method the load on each spring is decreased while the total load capacity is increased. The result is improved suspension travel and ride on all surfaces, all while offering payload comparable to conventional leaf springs.
The TwinTrac first appeared in 1977 on the Monolith M112 Super, and has since been introduced to all of our Body on Frame vehicles, starting with the V-450 Adventurer in 1988, selected trims of the A-Series and N-Series in 1991 and 1995 respectively, the Okavango in 2002, the Alpine in 2005 and the Atacama of 2017.
It helped the 1980s M130 gain fame for its endeavors in the Paris-Dakar rally by allowing the trucks to make optimum use of their behemoth turbocharged V12 engines.

The latest car to use the TwinTrac is the N-Series Pro-G 4x4, a hardcore off-roading trim of our popular Mid-Size truck.
The Pro-G also features robust Steel underbody protection, a roof rack, additional auxiliary lights, high mounted air intakes with provisions for mounting a snorkel, sealed engine and electronics, a six-speed automatic transmission with low range and front, center and rear locking differentials.

7 Likes

Haven’t seen too many vehicles using the vintage 1970s Truck body since, well, thecarlover’s Super Duty Ram came out, and there don’t appear to be that many people making work vehicles in general, so naturally I had to have a go at the 1970s Truck myself. It also fits quite well into my lore as there needs to be a reason why a european automaker like IMP builds the distinctly american style Artisan Full-Size Pickup and Jupiter SUV, despite such small annoyances like the chicken tax.

IMPs first small pick-up truck, the N-Series had been quite popular in the US back in the 1950s mainly due to the availability of a 3.9L Two-stroke diesel and a mighty 6.6L V12 that offered efficiency or brute force in a durable package.
Come the 1964 second generation the newly imposed 25% import tariff on light trucks resulted in a considerable slump in sales. Anticipating the chicken tax to be a short lived one, IMP decided not to pull the Monolith brand altogether, instead introducing creature comforts unheard of in trucks of the time, such as high-end audio systems, climate control, electric windows and in-car refrigeration to keep the beer cold in all weathers. By 1968 however only three models were left in the US, the M110/M120 four-wheel drive estate cars, the V-200 Passenger van, and the A-series pick up in 420DLS form. This meant a 4.2L Diesel engine (something not yet established in light trucks), a three-speed Chrysler Torqueflite transmission and the amenities described earlier.

By 1975 the V-200 was also gone, and IMP thought to rethink the A-Series, which had previously been an elongated N-Series. The result came in 1979 and was distinctly more american than the predecessor.

Size and construction were conventional and in-line with other american offerings, except with a very utilitarian, european spin, devoid of any chrome ornamentation. The US once again only saw the Diesel engine, now up to 4.8L and 135hp, while the rest of the world also got the famous 3.8L “A” Engine and the 5.0L “HK” I6. 1981 saw the introduction of the LS Permanent, an enhanced version of the luxurious LS with full time All Wheel Drive, an automatic locking center differential and an all new 4-speed Automatic transmission with lock-up torque converter, available in the 500 or 480D. The A480DLS Permanent remained IMP’s sole full-size truck in the US for many years, a lone ranger not willing to be broken by pesky economics. Sales, while low, were consistent and the Truck has become a cult classic due to its unique status among light trucks.

Epilogue: OMG HE USED A BARTH BODY AS WELL!

5 Likes

More Sport.

6.0L V12, RWD, Manual, regular cab, short box big brother of the S270 GT. Gets 28mpg without VVL.

6 Likes

Now I want to see it compared with some similarly priced mid engined sports car :smiley:

We tried hauling 900 kilos of manure in a KHT. It did not work out. Pickup truck wins :frowning:
Or that wasn’t the test you had in mind?

1 Like

Overall test, so hauling too :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no doubt that this one would be a drift monster despite its size…

So, the good old M-X. Quite a special car. It was the first vehicle ever presented in this company thread, winner of the prestigious Automation SUV of the year award in 2016 and in the running for the 2017 awards as well, only to be beaten by our very own S340D Blitz built in conjunction with KHT. It was also the first carbon fibre body, aluminium chassis transaxle SUV on here, but perhaps better known as the very first forum appearance of IMPs famous 4.25L Straight 6 Diesel. Now it is time to bring it into the next generation of Automation. Not lore-wise, but literally. In some ways it is the same immensely popular vehicle, in others completely new.

The familiar: It is still a carbon fibre bodied super high end full-size SUV and a more on-road proficient alternative to the M160. It is still the No.2 in the Monolith hierarchy, only inferior to the aforementioned M160. The core engines haven’t changed either, they are still all Straight 6, a 3.0L Petrol Turbo with 350hp or a 4.0L Turbo with 500hp, as well as the 4.25L Diesel with 310 and 410hp. You still get 6 individual bucket seats, you still get the same quality interior, and one can still spec the 310hp Diesel with a 7-speed Manual Transmission. All other engines are equipped with the familiar IMP 885AE 8-speed automatic transmission.

The new: It is not as large as it used to be. Whereas the Kee version was almost identical in size to the behemoth Jupiter, the UE4 version is altogether a more maneuverable 5.1m in length, similar to the M160. While the body panels are still made from Carbon fibre and other compound materials, the chassis is no longer adapted from the aluminium transaxle floorpan of the Opera sedan. It is now a bespoke steel monococque with conventional transmission location. As a result it is just as heavy as the much larger Kee version, although still far from the over 2.6 tons of the M160 and the nearly 3.0 tons of the V12 Jupiter. Suspension is all-independent, but with new twin coilover packs per wheel on the entry level models, derived from the Twin-Trac live axles. And although the core engine designs are the same, the 3.0L and 4.0L Petrol engines employ the same emission-reducing technologies as the KK-Series in the 2018 Impakt range. With that the 300T model is capable of a combined fuel economy of just 7.7L/100km (30mpg US, 37mpg UK).
But I assume that the people will care more about the name change. Officially the M-X is now the Monolith X-Series, but of course one still can refer to it as the M(onolith)-X.
One more addition is a more off-road oriented Pro-G version of the 300T and 425D1. The Pro-G comes with a shorter final drive ratio and low-range gearbox, a mechanically locking rear differential, new springs and Fox competition shock absorbers, raised ride height, more aggressive, larger wheels and modified front and rear bumpers. Naturally the design has evolved as well.

Lastly, the new price. Starting at $79,885 for the X300T all the way up to precisely $140.000 for the X400T Ultima.

4 Likes

Hmm, I used the Ultima name :wink:

1. Its a trim level

2. One of my very first posts in the IMP thread from way back was a 1950s Luxury barge with a 370hp 7.3L V12 called the L12 Emperor Royale Ultima. The car has since been erased from my lore but the engine survived as the IMP Light Truck V12.

3. What cares.

1 Like

Old. Another M. So manly it has a Mustache.

Quoted from a contemporary news article:

The Monolith 140 is the successor to the much respected 130 Series of robust, go anywhere four-wheel-drive wagons in production since 1979. The new Brute is clearly following the principle of evolution over revolution, but with some very thoughtful updates. The new Body is more rounded and aerodynamic than the outgoing model, but remains distinctively identifiable. The suspension has gained anti-roll bars for better on-road dynamics and coil springs have been moved from the options list to standard equipment. For heavy duty use Leaf sprung axles remain a no-cost option, but if the old model was any indication the so called “TwinTrac” suspension should provide a much better compromise in 90% of all driving conditions. Monolith has also carefully reworked the drivetrain, which is largely identical apart from a new 4.0L Turbodiesel that replaces the old naturally aspirated 4.8L Unit. Power is up by 20hp and 90Nm. The familiar 4.3L Petrol engine was reworked for better fuel economy, power stays at 190hp/350Nm. Likewise the new 6.0L V8 is only modestly more powerful than the previous 5.6L at 290hp/505Nm. The popular 7.6L V12 does not return. We expect the 140 series to be priced in the range of the new W463 Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen and Toyota LandCruiser.

9 Likes

Given that Forza 7 just banned the Honda Odyssey from public lobbies, here are more tales from the IMP Conservatory, this time a remake of a personal favourite:
The lore side of things hasn’t changed much. Still based on the V-450 Platform, shared with the V-450 Commercial Van and Adventurer Off-Road Van, the Viaggio (italian for Journey) is the most carlike of the triplets, with independent Semi-Trailing Arm rear suspension with miniblock coil springs or optional air suspension on higher trims (GT, GT 4WD and Super), a unique interior styled after the IMP Magnum and exclusively offered with six individual seats. As its name suggests the Viaggio was designed as the ultimate long distance cruiser, the aerodynamically optimized styling allowing high cruising speeds and reasonable fuel economy.
All four engines are of the IMP UM92 family, with four, five, or six cylinders. The powerful 3.8L I6 was at the time only shared with the Opera luxury sedan and can propel the 1.8 ton Viaggio to 100kph in just over 7 seconds when equipped with the standard Five-speed Manual transmission and a top speed of up to 247kph (380GT RWD 5MT). The 2.5L I4 and the 3.2L I5 are certainly not underpowered though, being optimized for low- and midrange torque rather than horsepower. Also available was a 3.3L 5 cylinder Turbodiesel with intercooling and 140hp.

The upmarket nature of the Viaggio resulted in a high price tag and thus low overall sales, but still managed to shift 143.468 units until its discontinuation in 1998.

5 Likes

I have yet to figure out how towing capacity works. I’d imagine one of these should technically be pretty damn good and not worse than a 1.4L econobox. Adding to the weirdness the twin-turbocharged 8.0L V12 Diesel is now even more ecnonomical than before, at 9.7L/100km it is probably the most efficient vehcle per pound we make.

Why am I posting this, because I need to remake my stuff to see how I’ve evolved (I kinda didn’t), and the amount of ludicrously heavy and overengined vehicles is too low.

2012-Present Monolith Jupiter:

760: 7.6L DOHC V12 Petrol, 570hp, 750Nm, 2800kg
760S: 7.6L DOHC V12 Petrol, 620hp, 800Nm, 2980kg
800D: 8.0L DOHC V12 Twin Turbo Diesel, 577hp, 1400Nm*, 3095kg

*exaggerated figure due to limitations of the game mechanics

Another Reason I am bringing this up is the possibility of a facelifted model coming soon.

8 Likes

I think this quite literally qualifies as a Lorry now. Canyonerooo!

5 Likes

It does in Sweden at least. If the car weighs more than 3500 kg fully loaded you need a truck drivers license… So with over 3500 kg only as payload… :smiley:

A waste with a top speed of 257 though when you’re only allowed to drive 90…

5 Likes

Oh look it is a Minivan! Or perhaps more accurately a tall station wagon.

The Monolith Cosmos was a mid-size MPV built from 1996 to 2005. Like most of our Minivans it was closely related to a van, sharing the floorpan, engines and transmissions with the V-340. Suspension components were not shared however, as the Cosmos was designed to meet a goal of a car like driving experience. A fully independent A-Arm/ Multilink setup was adapted from the executive sized IMP Magnum station wagons and needed little tuning as the shorter Cosmos ended up being nearly the exact same weight as the Magnum SW. Due to the Van platform the Cosmos had an incresed payload over the Magnum despite a lack of the optional air suspension.
The styling was more similar to IMP than Monolith, with rounded and aerodynamic lines giving a good drag coefficient, a roof rack was standard while a three-piece panoramic roof was reserved for the exclusive 335S and 337S.
The Cosmos was available with either five or seven individual seats. The second row of seat could fold flat into the floor, while the third row seats had to be removed from the car altogether. A small revision in 1999 fixed this inconvenience by repositioning the spare tire and introducing a flat-folding third row, which lost some maximum cargo capacity as a small tradeoff.
Continuing the parts bin nature the dashboard was taken from the Impakt line,
Like the Magnum and V-350 it either was rear wheel drive or all-wheel drive and could be had with a selection of five engines from these two models. A petrol 2.2L 16V Inline 4 with 137hp marked the entry to an IMP-style Minivan. The petrol engined models were rounded off by the 2.5L FB25 I4 and the 3.3L J1-series Inline 6 with up to 194hp. Also available were two four cylinder turbodiesel engines with direct injection, a Monolith-spec 2.3L with 110hp and 260Nm and an IMP-spec 2.3L with 145hp and 310Nm. All engines made use of a conventionally mounted Monolith 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission.

7 Likes

I don’t really do much with the 2000s, so I thought I’d change that.

This is the third generation Monolith Saturn, launched in late 2006 and to this day the most successful Monolith. The 3rd generation Saturn (internal code 06MS) is a 7-seater Executive SUV, the last in the series to use a ladder chassis, and also the last available with a V8 engine, although the latter is due to the twin turbocharged JGT-series inline 6 replacing the RL-series V8 in IMPs executive cars from 2015 onwards. The V8 only made up a small portion of overall sales anyways. The majority of 06MS would be sold with the 3.3L Inline 6 Petrol engine and, in Europe, the 3.0L inline 6 Turbodiesel. The Turbodiesel was noteworthy for being the first and so far only Diesel engine in the world to use 5-valve per cylinder technology. It produced 235hp and 520Nm of torque and was highly efficient when combined with the standard 6-speed manual transmission or 6-speed automatic, being capable of a combined average fuel economy of 6,6-6,9L/100km depending on transmission choice. The suspension design was a refined version of the previous generations double wishbone/ multilink design with coil springs and air suspension being fitted on the top of the line Super Saturn
All-wheel drive was standard equipment on all Saturns except for the 2.5L base model which was RWD by default. A viscous type limited slip rear differential was fitted to petrol engined Saturn, with an electronic locking center differential on AWD cars. All Diesels used a mechanical limited slip differential.

2007 Monolith Saturn (06MS) 300D Technical Specifications.

7-seat Executive SUV, fully boxed AHS Steel Ladder Frame, Corrosion resistant steel body.
Double Wishbone front suspension, independent five-link rear axle with coil springs (optional air suspension) and anti-roll bars
4-wheel hydraulically assisted vented disc brakes, 335mm all around

Engine code D630R-T23
DOHC 30V Inline 6 Turbodiesel with compacted graphite iron block and aluminium cylinder head
Common rail direct injection, VTG Turbocharger
Bore x Stroke 85x87mm, 2962cc
Compression ratio 18.6:1
230hp @ 5400rpm, 518Nm @ 2300rpm
Engine weight 199kg

6-speed manual transmission, optional 6-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission.
Speed sensitive, hydraulically assisted rack and pinion steering
245/55R19 wheels
Total weight 2147kg
Fue economy (avg): 6,6-6,9L Diesel per 100km
0-100kph 9.4-10.3s, Top speed 226kph
Price: (2007): €47,499

6 Likes