MrComputah's city can, aka Hyundai i10!

Hey guys here’s an idea let’s stop feeding the troll and leave him to sulk on his own.

EDIT - Source:

16 Likes

So, back to the i10. How does it feel when you really pile it into the corners? I ask because other budget cars in the same class I’ve driven almost universally just scrubbed and nearly fell off the road. If the i10 doesn’t do that, you’re already doing well.

7 Likes

Well it really feels quite agile. I’ve shoved it into a couple of deserted roundabouts but no real serious cornering yet. I’ve had no issues so far though, and that’s on skinny eco tires.

4 Likes

Apparently an usb stick is enough to play my own music in the car’s sound system. Therefore I shall rename it the Synth-10 :musical_note:

11 Likes

City boi does touge

Starring the Synth 10

It’s a wonderful Sunday morning. You wake up quite late, all shops are closed and there’s nothing you can really do…or can you not? Most people are out for lunch in their relatives’ countryside places or at whatever restaurant is open today, so traffic is light…very light. I knew it was my chance to test the i10 for real.

Extra majestic from a hilltop, isn’t it?

I remembered a road from my childhood days, leading to my aunt’s countryside house where she would bake bread and whatnot. I never really explored this road past that however, so I decide to venture deeper into it, and the deeper I go, the more I climb, until I reach a hilltop and turn around. But before tackling the touge, it’s photo time.

On a clear day like this you can see Malaga and the sea.

I press the clutch and place the shift into first. Once I’m sure there’s no traffic, the i10 starts pulling me through this extremely twisty and tight course. I keep playing between 2nd and 3rd gear, the steering has good response and the three cylinder sounds like it could punch above its weight, but it still has only 67 horsepower. I feel it lacks a bit of grip from the thin eco tires, but nothing disasterously dangerous. Of course, its tendency is to understeer. It’s still a city car after all.

I reach the end of what, to me, is the end of the first segment; no more scary tight bendy slopes. We have something more similar to a professionally built mountain pass; I let a Citroen that was in front of me lose me before I get going again. Time for another shot.

I resume my run five minutes later. The now wider road, but still twisty, makes me go a bit more comfortable if still cautious; the i10 is answering nicer now with more grip, and the fact that it’s a naturally aspirated engine makes it extra responsive. Pair that with a manual 5 speed stick and you have a recipe for fun right there. I reach the bottom of the hill, and there’s a good two kilometers of fast section with few to no turns, so I decide to drop a gear and floor it taking advantage of the lack of traffic. For 67 horsepower, the i10 sure pulls. And pulls. My god, it’s getting too fast for me, I decide to lift off gently before the turn and brake a little bit. The i10 complies, it’s a loyal fella.

Veredict? Really fun to drive and surprisingly sporty for a city car. I think I’m falling in love with this lil’ box on wheels.

19 Likes

Nothing like driving tiny econoboxes faster than they’re designed to go. Reminds me of my old Tercel. Bit more power at around 93 hp, but the same principle is there.

2 Likes