My F1 Style Engine

Hey guys, this is my first post here so be gentle :stuck_out_tongue:. I just wanted to share my newest engine, a 1.6L Twin-Turbo V6 Making 617BHP @ 10000RPM.

Cheers :smiley:!

2 Likes

you can make the engine better by dropping the turbo size down a bit and adding more aar, (or whatever itā€™s called, turbo to exhaust ratio), most people aim for read on both and 1.1 on the ratio from what i remember.

But otherwise, a damnsight better than my first engines :slight_smile:

Cheers for the suggestion man. I went back and did some fine tuning, and it turns out there was quite a bit of power untapped! I hadnā€™t set VVT for all cams, so I did that 1st. Then, I ever so slightly lowered the boost (literally about 0.1 PSI :stuck_out_tongue: ) and after some playing around found that I needed to slightly increase both the compressor and turbine size and lower the AR Ratio :slight_smile:. Iā€™m trying to keep everything in the green(ish) so I may fork the engine off into a full race build with no holds barred, like this one here:

And a street build that makes about 660hp, was about to screenshot it, but the game crashed :slight_smile:.

The one problem is that your torque and power curve are very messed up for actually putting in a car, plus the eco of the engine would make it difficult, one way iā€™d suggest practicing would be to use a 2L i4, itā€™d give you some good practice at making a NA engine, (another tip, 5V is always the best, unless your going for a full racing high bore low stroke engine) youā€™ll want 4V as you can add and play around with vvl to make your torque and power curve smoother :slight_smile:

Awesome, cheers man! I generally jump on to mess around, but the deeper down the rabbit hole I go, the more I want to do things properly. I get where youā€™re coming from with the weird torque/power curve, but I assume thatā€™s because the turbo doesnā€™t start producing power until ~6000rpm? This was supposed to be a crazy stupid racing engine, but whatā€™s the point in using it on tight tracks if you have no power due to there being no power/torque :stuck_out_tongue:

Thatā€™s the problem for you here. Good try, sure, but the lag means that this would be practically unusable in the lower half. Then as literally almost all the power is made after 10k, Iā€™d say youā€™re using simply too much boost pressure. Next time, try building an engine with a smaller turbo, that gives good practice in making efficient engines. Keep at it :smile:

There is no such thing as ā€œtoo much boost pressureā€ :wink: Only late spooling turbos.

1 Like

You guys have clearly not seen some of the engines that are being run in the 1976 BRC, this engine is a drivers dream in comparison to some of those :stuck_out_tongue:

Also in real life F1 you have electrical power to supplement the low end power, so it would likely be fine! Although looking at your power curve you could definitely let the boost come on earlier by using a smaller turbo to get a wider power band at the top of the rev range.

1 Like

Thereā€™s also the issue with automation not having a single turbo option for v engines. This would help with lag and lower weight, at the expense of a more complicated header design.