NASCAR and Le Mans-1976

Just as a heads up, did a bit of testing and my car needs about 460hp to reach 180mph according to the chassis rules, might want to consider bending a few if you want higher top speeds. allowing 5 quality points in aero, undertrays, and multi carbs to free up engine power (a single carb at my bore size restricts power after 286hp) is good for about 10-15mph, and dropping my engine into a smaller body can hit 180 with those allowances.

Provided that the car remains price competitive, I will update to rules to allow multiple carbs and a changing of the quality slider for aero/ undertray. The carb concession is more so because the carbs in this game don’t seem to match up to typical NASCAR carbs. Plus, hey, I’m already taking creative liberties with the real regulations

I’d suggest also reconsidering the rules regarding cast engine internals and single exhaust. VW Beetles of the same era had forged cranks and rods, I’d imagine they weren’t uncommon among US V8 race cars. And what kind of ‘Mercian muscle car doesn’t have dual exhaust? Single exhaust is for communists.

My ban of forged comes from a desire to not make a car that requires any special factory components (forge works). Therefore, I intend to keep this rule in place (for the time being).
I’ll allow the dual exhaust, though. Time to make another change. At least I haven’t added any restrictions.

The 1967 Alba Longsword LG1 SuperSeries, A car designed for running in NASCAR (Not actually that successfully on Speedways, due to it’s lack of speed) That was put up into the 24 Hours of LeMans, Due to it’s Remarkable reliability (Among NASCAR Cup cars, Of course) and Nippy handling, It would definitely do at least OK in the race.

Unlike most other cup cars, The car didn’t run the traditional 90° V8, But rather a 60°.
The engine is also smaller than usual, Measuring in at only 347 CUI.
This also then means that it doesn’t have much power, At only 312 HP available. However, It only weights 1255 Kg

(Car Pictured in #72 Alba Racing Livery. Alba Performance Division decals not applied dut to there not being a proper Coloured stock badge fixture)

(Note: Images may not be entirely accurate to final version.)

hmm

facepalm just reread the rules and i was keeping 70% competitiveness in muscle premium not muscle. going back to the shed to iron a few things out.

Certainly a wonderful entry to the field.
This marks the fourth contestant and the sixth cup car to take American muscle to the French roads.

2 Likes

I’ve got a question about reliability.

Is the number of 50 is only for the engine or the lot, I mean the number you find at the one to last page?

It is for everything. Survivability of the engine isn’t the only problem for a car at Le Mans.

2 Likes

My entry for this challenge!

Bringing some serious street muscle, I see.

Introducing the Mons Iskotew

Both street and race trims feature a 5 L (305 ci) V8 OHV, producing 304.9 HP with its modern 4-barrel twin-carbs. The wide rear tires (295/50R16) allow for superb acceleration (6 seconds to 100 km/h or 60 mph) and a top speed of 281 km/h (175 mph). Fuel consumption remains reasonable at 27 L/100km (8.7 MPG). Confidence-inspiring breaking is provided by front and rear disc breaks. Power steering makes this beast of a car easy to handle on twisty roads without sacrificing acceleration abilities.

Mons Iskotew

The street version comes standard with luxurious rich paint (black shown), stylish chrome accents, and prestigious side exhaust pipes to deliver a satisfying V8 rumble. If you want to make a statement, this car is for you!

Mons Iskotew GT

The sport version has an eye-catching orange and blue livery, enhanced air intake and aerodynamic enhancements for improved performance, and larger vents front and rear for enhanced brake cooling*. The side exhaust has also been re-routed to the rear for added protection and enhanced gas flow.
* Don't worry, for this competition aero is set to 0 and is decorative only. All other fixture changes are decorative only as well - the two models are mechanically the same in terms of the game.

Some stats

4 Likes

A lovely new addition. I suspect those Europeans will be in for quite the shock on race day.

Not sure if this is still active, but I decided to try the challenge anyway for myself and I am still tweaking my cup car, but I finally beat the qualification time of Hershel McGriff with a 4:28.7 time on La Sarthe (for what it’s worth on a simulation).

1 Like

It’s as active as the community deems fit. I reckon it would be your cornering that saved you time. The steel monsters struggled there.

Not that I’ve got a problem with this personally, but the entrant pictures don’t seem to be complying. Maybe they could be allowed. Even with wing angle set at 0, they do have an impact on lift and V.max.
(This post might also be because I’m jealous.)

I feel that the aero shown here is more along the lines of the typical muscle car and not the crazy wings of, say, the Plymouth Superbird. I wanted to stop those from appearing (even if they look sick).

Angus Automobile - Verdun V8

The Verdun V8 was designed by Angus Automobile in 1967 and launched on the Canadian and American markets in January 1975. With 278hp and 321 lb-ft of torque, the 327 engine running on regular unleaded packed quite a punch. It was luxurious and comfortable, but with a styling that was unfortunately not as popular as expected.

The compact muscle car did not sell incredibly well due to its smaller size and styling compared to competitors, and the fact it tended to oversteer at lower speed due to its short back design. However, it did very well on the track with the R/T version released the same year.

Verdun Octane R/T Cup

The R/T trim was launched in 1975 as well and was homologated by Octane Racing for NASCAR. In 1976, Octane Racing released a modified version as a Cup Car for Le Mans - and thus the Verdun Octane R/T Cup was born.

With enlarged wheel wells to account for the wider rear tires, sleeker side mirrors and door handles, stripped interior with a bucket seat and rollbars, extra headlights, an enlarged 354 cid engine producing 329 hp and a astounding 380 lb-ft of torque, and a top speed of 289km/h, this Canadian beauty roared on the oval all season and is now ready for the ultimate challenge : La Sarthe.

Note: I used mods, like everyone, for fixture styling - hope that’s ok. I did one stock version without all the moded fixtures tho. I did not put any aero components at all. Engine reliability is slightly under 50 - without redoing a whole new engine or starting earlier, I couldn’t bring it above. Fuel econ is 22.3 L/100km on the cup car version, better than the 23.9 on the street version - quite fond of that high torque 354 engine.

2 Likes

I love the look. The engine reliability, while lower than desired, is probably better than whatever the reliability was of the two actual cup cars that raced. It just means that you’re taking a bit more of a risk. Other than that, interesting headlight design and good job!