New Age Of Engines ( N.A.O.E ) 1955 V8 Engines Only Challenge

Greetings! I had a fun idea of doing a 50s challenge about the modern v8 engine.
I’ve come up with quite a bunch of challenges that me and my friends play out, never a forum challenge though.

RULES! there are twelve of them. (subject to change depending upon the community and professional challenge makers opinions!)

I , Year : 1955

II , Displacement Limit : 348 C.I or 5.7 L

III , Physical Dimensions : 28 x 28 x 22 (the approximate size of a small block chevy)

IV , Fuel Type : Regular Leaded

V , Service Cost : Less than $1250 ($50 over limit maximum) *

VI , Reliability : Greater than 40 (35 minimum permitted) *

VII , Material Cost : Less than $1100 ($50 over limit maximum) *

VIII , Fuel Economy : Greater than 14.00% *

IX , Total Weight : Less than 700 LBS or 258 KG (50 LBS over limit maximum) *

X , Production Units : Less than 30 (40 maximum permitted) *

XI , Loudness : 50 ( 55 maximum permitted) *

XII , Smoothness : 50 (40 minimum permitted) *

All quality sliders must remain at zero.

Here is how the competition shall be scored.

I will be utilizing Automation and Beamng.

A typical score card i’ll call it would look like this,

Engine Family : Engine Variant : Displacement : HP TQ @ RPM
A
1 - 5 points
2 - 5 points
3 - 5 points
4 - 5 points
5 - 5 points
6 - 10 points
7 - 5 points
8 - 10 points
B
0-60 : 12 seconds
0-100 : 34 seconds
Top Speed : 118 MPH
Track : 3 : 24: 01
Drive ability : Low
Off-Idle quality : Poor

Rules V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI and XII are the only scored rules

Rule V : Minus 1 point for every $10 over the limit, up to a maximum of 5 points.

Rule VI : Minus 1 point for every 1 reliability under the limit, up to a maximum of 5 points.

Rule VII : Minus 1 point for every $10 over the limit, up to a maximum of 5 points.

Rule VIII : Minus 1 point for every 1.0 % under 14.00 %, up to a maximum of 5 points.

Rule IX : Minus 1 point for every 10 LBS (4.5KG) over the limit, up to a maximum of 5 points.

Rule X : Minus 1 point for every 1 Production Unit over limit, up to a maximum of 10 points.

Rule XI : Minus 1 point for every 1 Loudness over the limit, up to a maximum of 5 points.

Rule XII : Minus 1 point for every 1 Smoothness under the limit, up to a maximum of 10 points.

Extra points will be awarded for engine names that appease me and suit the time period. (Rocket, Turbo-Thrust, etc. etc)

There is a maximum possible score of 50 points.

The fuel economy testing of the engines shall be done in a car I’ve designed in automation (the 4-door unlocked around 1950), a 4-door sedan with six person seating, no radio and standard safety. Design year is 1950, it weighs in at around 3000 lbs.

The Following Tests Are To Be In Beamng, Specifically the 1953 Burnside Special W/3-SPD Manual.

All engines will be subject to a barrage of tests including : 0-60, 0-100, Top Speed, Test Track and Drive-Ability. Off Idle Quality will also be measured.

I will be using an automation to beamng engine converter for the engine conversion. I’ve noticed either beamng itself or the converter deducts anywhere from 15-30 hp and torque, be warned that if for example your engine puts out 200 HP, in the game it could be 175-165 HP.

Also participants are encouraged to provide additional information such as : The weight of their engines rotating assembly, I’ve concocted a simple list of choices.

Light : 0.25 Medium : 0.50 or Heavy : 0.75

Please select one of the three above or include your own custom weight between 0.25 and 0.75 in a PM.
(if a weight is not provided I will have to pick one of the three, so please pick one!)

SUBMISSION!

Users have the choice of submission either through a PM or posting the engine they’d like to enter in this thread (picture optional, engine file is mandatory though) with the .lua/.zip file named after the competing engine(s).

There is no deadline yet until I am assured the rules fall within fun and reasonable bounds, so enter away.

Notes : I read the tournament hosting thread by strop but I’ve never hosted a tournament.
If there is any obvious stuff you feel I left out let me know, and I’ll edit this post.
Why beamng? because it is different and I’ll have more fun than using the automation tracks.(I’m not big on numbers, I find it boring and math is my worst subject, but no offense to all the math junkies out there!) I could even record the tests with bandicam or something and put them here or on youtube.

So yeah, there is my first challenge, lets see what happens!

Current Submissions

VicVictory - Toledo Ironworks - Triple Three

Myself - JMC - Thrust-Matic

Little Brother - LOCO - Boom-Town

2 Likes

I’ll throw my hat in on this one.

My only suggestion is wording. For those stats where a low number is bad, you should say “minimum allowed”, instead of “maximum allowed”

2 Likes

Looks cool, three things
1 how do we measure milage without a car? Shouldn’t it be the percent thing?
2 you’re losing power in the converter because it is probably deducting diff and gearbox inefficiencies
Will love to participate!
3 don’t use bandicam, use Nvidia shadowplay or if u have a new-ish AMD GPU the built in recorder that is in the settings, old AMD or Intel OBS

3 Likes

Edited the post :smiley:

‘EDIT’ My goodness I feel remarkably dumb right now, I completely forgot that. :smiley: You are correct my mistake, It should be min. 14 percent, my mind was using mpg.

Dooly noted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Toledo Ironworks presents… The Triple Three!

Power, smoothness, and economy. The Triple Three is also a Triple Threat. Drive a car equipped with one today, and you’ll see just why.

Or, if you’re feeling rebellious, try a Super Triple Three. Over 200 horsepower, and lightning-quick response.*

*Obviously, the Super Triple Three is not the engine I submitted. The standard Triple Three was. But it was fun throwing it together after I had submitted the original version. Also, probably not a big spoiler here, but “Triple Three” refers to its displacement of 333cid.

3 Likes

Introducing a brand new engine from JMC, the 266 C.I Thrust-Matic V8!

Questionably flee from the scene of the crime with 135 horsepower, all while smoothly carrying the family and the groceries home, with 225 ft-lbs of torque. (this was my original entry but I competitively entered the 348 instead of the 266. I like this engine more.)

Also from a completely not better company, The LOCO Motors 348 C.I Boom-Town…

I am not required to write a creative horsepower and torque story so here it is : 219 crap horsepower and 333 lb-ft of crap torque, this motor will break down a lot.

2 Likes

what represents the total costs??

1 Like

It should be Material Costs. :slight_smile: (gonna fix that now)

but why use those? because the more quality points you have on your engine, the lower the material costs (on the same engine). that’s skewed

That’s logical. Better production process = higher product quality and less material losses, but also more complicated production, which is reflected by skyrocketing production units.

@VicVictory Great to see that Toledo engines haven’t disappeared!

1 Like

Is this… is this even possible? How does one not break at least one of those rules?

1. that’s the challenge. it is possible. but hard. also you can break some to some extent. just face the panalties
  2. it is possible to fit within all the limits. but from what i’ve tried. it becomes a not very compelling engine.

Numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 are laws (figurative), these cannot be broken and aren’t scored. Numbers 5-12 can be broken, they are scored rules and add up to 50. For example the boom-town 348 abides by the laws, there is no hope for it receiving anything more than 25 points. like they say, rules are made to be broken. ( I encourage it, in this case makes things more interesting. :slight_smile: although more difficult to judge in the end )

use of quality sliders aint allowed. if I allowed use of those I’d need to adjust the material cost and production units accordingly. one less rule to write down, two or three less rules to adjust and for participants to worry about.

With engine design like that, how could they?! ( just saying the triple three seems quite kosher on paper, excitedly waiting to test it out! )

1 Like

oh right. missed that. sorry about that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, there’s no way I can even get close to $1300 in service costs! So… throwing those out the window it is!

1 Like

If I recall, the Triple Three hits EVERY mark without deductions. Or maybe minor deductions. So yes, it’s possible.

The Super Triple Three was way out of spec. Just something fun I did afterward. :slight_smile:

2 Likes