New Ford GT

My god! It’s got a V6, and no manual transmission! But 600 horsepower sounds nice.

autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016 … -official/

Ecoboost. FORD WHY!!!?

V6. FORD WHY!!!?

Engine from a Transit (in the US at least). FORD WHY!!!?

Nope, don’t like it. Bring back supercharged V8s

1 Like

It looks so generic. It looks like a porsche/lambo from front and ferrari/porsche in the back.

EDIT: Looks like a porsche had intercourse with a miura concept and ferrari 430

1 Like

Personally, I think it looks goddamned sexy.

Damn right it is, but it sure looks a ton like this:

It’s not a very good Ford GT in my opinion, but it is a very good supercar I’d say?

You think it should have a whopping great V8 and a manual? Yes, that would be nice, but this is a good reflection on how times have changed in the automotive landscape. Plus, the exhaust note from the V6 is terrific. Why would Ford put an archaic V8 in?

Nah, it’s more that I wish there was still a Ford GT that looked like the original, as I really loved that style. But I also love this new one.

I wish they’d make the early 2000s one again, AND this one at the same time.

I think it looks good, but it doesn’t look right somehow. The proportions aren’t well balanced, I think it is very weird. Cool, but weird.

The rear sloping strut inlet thing is reminiscent of the concept F80, something I like but part of what’s unusual in terms of a Ford GT.

I agree with jakgoe that this is a sign of the times and Ford (unlike some other companies) does have some track record of recognising the future directions of the automotive world. As a nostalgia piece, of course it’s going to raise an outcry, particularly the lack of manual!!!

As for calling v8s archaic… I’m no engineer, so this is an honest question when I ask is this really the fairest call? Is a v6 really a superior way to go?

V8’s aren’t archaic, but going smaller capacity and turbo is generally acknowledged to be the way of the future.

Personally I think the superior drivetrain for a supercar is whatever the buyer damn well pleases, given that it’s purely a toy. Small capacity flatplane v8s are probably not the ideal engine for a Ferrari, but they still sound great and make their owners smile :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Cheeseman”]Ecoboost. FORD WHY!!!?

V6. FORD WHY!!!?

Engine from a Transit (in the US at least). FORD WHY!!!?

Nope, don’t like it. Bring back supercharged V8s[/quote]

Yea, I like the styling. But as far as the drivetrain, no thanks… When automation 1.0 is released, I’ll be sure to prove (yet again), that I could’ve sold supercharged V8s in this car, meet economy and emissions requirements, and still turn a profit. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This car is being built for homologation purposes so Ford can re-enter endurance racing in LM GTE class. Class rules limit cars to 5.5L naturally aspirated or 4.0L forced induction, and in most cases requires the same engine to be used. This allows Ford to use the same engine for both street and racing version, which will be as similar to a run of the mill Ecoboost V6 as the VQ35DE in the Nissan Quest minivan is to the VR38DETT in the Nissan GT-R.

This car should be a track monster.

Well then, I’m very eager to find out how the v6 performs, as well as how the body gets around a track!

:laughing: Nice!

It looks good, and sounds like Ford is really stepping up the game, and I’ve never been one to judge a car by it’s brand often, but being a successor to the Ford GT in my head always = not up to par with it’s Euro counterparts.

I like it, and I also like that its a v6 ( dont hit me just yet… )

the ford GT has always been my most favorite American car, it was a true RACE CAR. Nowadays our regulations and restrictions are getting very high and more and more things are being regulated. Now fuel consumption has always been one of these things since i started watching racing, and a big supercharged V8 is anything but close to a fuel efficient engine. However a V6 turbo is, and if you think Ford did that on accident then id say your wrong. This engine out of the box weighs less, produces more power and is way more efficient. Now think of how that can play a role when they decide to put this into races? They will be able to make up more ground due to less time in the pits, have faster times due to the car weighing less then its counter part and lets face it, it sounds so much better. Even when it was a V8 I wasnt impressed with the sound it made until Hefner decided to twin turbo it.

Yes its a shame its not Merica and V8 powered, but look at it from all the other benifits it has. This was originally a RACE CAR I feel ford is just trying to keep it within regulations and Still try to excite people. Plus now for can officially say they have the best sounding V6 ever produced haha.

Because the original Ford GT40 totally didn’t beat Enzo Ferrari at his own game at Le Mans.

I did think Ford have been particularly attentive to their development of turbo in the past few years.

TT V6’s can be rather potent as well. ETS/English Racing have a full interior GT-R running 7.8s @ 182mph in the 1/4 mile, and it’s surpassed 2,000whp on the dyno this winter.

While part of me would love the idea of a hopped up coyote being in this, the ecoboost in in a hell of a lot of fords and Lincolns, so to prove to the public that it can stack up to v8’s is important. Hell the 4 pot turbo is in the new mustang after all. Ford is loving the smaller turbos and I’m actually finding myself agreeing with them.