New generation body to reduce penalties

Maybe we can conscript a generous community member to make modernised variants of older bodies. Is making bodies that difficult?

That is a very subjective question. In my experience it all depends on a number of factors including skill level, complexity of your subject, your goals for the resulting body and your tolerance to the quality of the output.

A couple of my bodies I’ve come away thinking “that was hard work”, even starting over when I’ve felt it was not going right. With others I’ve felt they were easier than expected.

I just want it noted that me as the OP that mentioned the 911 as an example, never claimed you could do a 996 with a body of a the first 911 from 63. You could hower make and jump 30 years and do one from 93 with a 63 body by flaring the arches and using era suitable trims for each of the cars.

And if we take the 996 and the two body “generations” that follow it they are basically indistinguishable so that one seems to be servicable at least 20 years, and who knows what the future will hold.

That is the reason i said you could cover 7 911 generations spanning over 50 years with only two bodies. (Also the reason i proposed diminishing returns from a re-engineer body feature)

That being said the question/proposal has already been adressed here and this “concern” is solvable within the confines of the game, either as more bodies get released or through moded bodies.

1 Like

Game’s not stopping you though. You can do so if you want. However are you really expecting Singer and Morgan to cater to the same clientele as Porsche and Lotus? The only negative downside to using an older body in game from what I’ve seen is a desirability hit and drag.

Well, I just made an example of porche being able to sell body that 30 years old. Yes it changed styling quite allot with the 996 (it was even criticized for that very thing as well as becoming bigger)

Lotus Is another good example of a company that re-engineered a car chassis (to meet new safety standards even) The Lotus Elise is still in production after 20 years and 3 generations. And I am positive they could be represented with the same body.

Currently when dealing with premium cars that care about prestige (and safety to an extent) its hard to sell a car 20 or 30 years later simply due to the body being old. Irl they sometimes go through generations with little external change like the mentioned elise or 911 (still excluding the big change that happened during the 90s) or with basically the same mechanical basis but more and more stuff added to a long going iconic line like the Citroen DS.

The reason I created this post is that I wan’t to be able to have those iconic cars based on what becomes successful in my company’s own story rather that hopning I have suiting body as a followup to a especially successful car.

With re-enginering (done properly with a cost weight increase and diminishing returns) It would be possible to create my own icons, and extend the life of a hit upwards to 30 years as long as you keep bringing out new models and include new innovations when applicable to. (Would be very hard to do in a category that cares about prestige and safety otherwise)

It’s not stopping me, but it’s kinda like saying “Pokemon isn’t stopping you from leading the life of a Ghost-type guy”. It technically allows it, but it’s definitely pushing the player away from it. As for your example, no, I don’t think Morgan and Lotus have the same clientele at all, I agree with you 100% there. But Morgan still has a clientele, despite how archaic they look, is my point. The world hasn’t jumped in and said “You’re receiving a massive penalty for using a body style from the '40s”. I like the year system, I like that certain aesthetics are locked off early on (As they should be). I like that certainly technologies and materials don’t become widespread until later. I like that countries’ demands change with the times. What I don’t like is the game saying “OK, this style of body is now punishable to even think of. We haven’t got a suitable replacement for its aesthetics, so if you were wanting to do a similar style, tough luck.”

Make no mistake, I absolutely adore Automation, and even if this is never changed, I won’t stop enjoying it. It just does feel a little confining to have the game give me a finger-wag for trying to do a classic style over modern drivetrain.

But you do have a clientele. If you don’t have a consumer base your desirability would be zero. Alot of the car buying public is turned off with very retro designs.

2 Likes

Guys, it’s really simple…

1. Learn 3D modelling
  2. Make the modern versions of the “classics”
  3. Upload to Steam Workshop

:laughing:

The devs can get on with the game instead of upsetting you! :laughing: :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Or just edit the LUA file to unlock it later in game and you can use it without penalty.

2 Likes

To add to this, copying the folder from the “camso” folder, pasting it in “gamedata” then renaming it and editing the year in the .lua should have it working correctly as a “new” car.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how to organize my thoughts nor how feasible (extra work developing or testing, game balance, etc.) this will be, but here goes.

Say there is a not-911 body that unlocks in 1960 game year. There’s the 3d model, the deformation data, and the body specific lua (passenger / cargo boxes, aero, etc. for coupe, sedan, wagon, etc.), if I’m not mistaken.

(Numbers made up, and by someone less than amateur)
Another section could be added to the body lua which describes scaling modification for specific years e.g.:

In 1990 the car body gets scaled along the x, y, and z to 1.10* its base value (space used by additional safety stuff), the aero gets scaled by 0.95 (larger surface area for same body style), weight would increase, etc.
*It could be adjusted based on axis (e.g. 1.10 along x and y, 1.05 along z)

Maybe the boxes (passenger, cargo, engine, etc.) wouldn’t increase because there’s just more padding around them, not usable room? (Again, less than amateur here.)

In 2010 the scale factor is now 1,20 the base value (20% increase of the base, 9.1% increase of 1990, assuming my math is correct), aero is now 0.90, weight is increased compared to 1990, etc. (Again, made up numbers for illustration purposes; I haven’t a clue how “realistic” or verisimilitude they are).

The year could be saved with the specific model, which would be used to calculate the “too old” modifier. e.g. You make a 1960 not-911 which is deemed “too old” in 1990. You could clone the 1960 model which then updates the model year to 1990 and inherits the updated stats (base * 1.10 visual scale, base * 0,95 aero, etc.). If you cloned it in 2000 it would inherit the 1990 stats. If you cloned it in 2010 it would inherit the 2010 stats (base * 1.20 visual scale, base * 0.90 aero, etc.)

This would effectively be a “clone model” button (similar to “clone trim” currently). You’d still have to engineer the car like it was new, but maybe you gain some familiarity bonus to engineering the body.

Fixture placement should only have to be recalculated; it’s the same body, just scaled differently (similar to how morphing a trim adjusts fixtures now).

Thinking on it more, it also seems rather niche; a decent amount of work that probably won’t get too much use (e.g. compared to clone trim or morphing a body with fixtures intact). Though, perhaps more feasible than several variants (1960, 1970, etc.) of every style (coupe, sedan, etc.) of every body (not-356, not-911, etc.).

This “clone model” feature would favor people who don’t want to redesign the fixtures every time they make a new car; people who are more engineer (stat tweaking), rather than aesthetic designer, or people who want to roleplay a retro car maker.

(Or a personal use case of mine: make a DeLorean replica that sells from 1980 to 2020 and only updates the engineering / tech side of things :stuck_out_tongue: )

The thing is that it’s not just a question of scaling.

The bumpers especially are quite different between 1960 and 2010.

Same thing for stuff like the fatness of the various pillars.

1 Like

Yeah, visually it wouldn’t line up, but purely on the stats it could work. Though the dev time, and testing time for such a niche feature, yeah… still, I thought I’d throw out the most feasible way I could think of doing it (a bit of extra lua data, and backend code).

Regardless of retro refresh (getting rid of “too old”), being able to “clone model” would be less niche, I believe. I’d be nice for us people who suck at aesthetic design, but don’t want to just make cars that are just a grill. We could make something passable, once, and use it for the entire body’s lifetime (maybe 3 or 4 models, in current terms). Though, I believe, the UE4 UI design overhaul will add something equivalent.

1 Like

I think he’s thinking of the same thing I am, which is a cheap and dirty way of “faking” a newer car. Of course it won’t be a perfect new 911, but so long as it’s a “close enough” job, we can live with it.

I’m curious to know if it’d work myself.