New panel materials

what about replacing corrosion resistant steel with something else since we already have treated steel

5 Likes

I think you don’t quite get the massive difference in gameplay between those two options :slight_smile:
Corrosion resistant steel is super expensive (10x), but doesn’t need specialized equipment (other than steel presses).
Treated Steel requires a large factory and massive tooling investment, but the material costs are very inexpensive, more or less like steel plus a little extra. So no, I wouldn’t want to remove either.

1 Like

Make the text smaller so more can fit into one box.

But yeah. I also like the idea that one could just choose there desired combination (If possible) from two boxes then. Select for example Steel in the first and then Alumnium in the next. Would remove the need to list Partial Alu

1 Like

Please have a look at the current UI, which other list would you get rid of in order to make that extra one fit? xD

True, but not many car companies IRL use corrosion resistant steel for body panels because as you said, its super expensive. You could replace it with something like partial CF instead.

Because Partial CF is being used in so many cars? :wink: Probably still more than CRS, but still. CRS is potentially relevant for longer in the game.

A lot of sports cars nowadays use it, even somewhat affordable high end stuff like Corvettes.

1 Like

whack

(Hey, had to take the opportunity while it was there)

1 Like

I mean, yes they are used in a lot of modern sports cars. Whereas I can count one car that uses CRS.

Also regarding the relevancy of CRS, I dont see any reason to use it at all. Like you cant practically use CRS for a mass produced car really since its expensive and for a luxury car you might as well invest in using aluminium panels even if you cant mass produce it because its not like you can make that many cars using CRS.

2 Likes

That is a fair point regarding the utility, it does requite steel presses.
I don’t think that Partial CF is a good choice though, because of how it first becomes a thing around ~2010+, which means an unlock year of 2015. You’re basically going to use it for your last generation of sports cars and their first facelift. That is not great utility in the context of the campaign. Partial plastic is more interesting in that regard, it is more of an option for the lower end market. Of course you guys are more into the high end stuff in general as car enthusiasts, but that is not what Automation is about in general. :slight_smile: So I can see a good case to remove CRS and add partial plastic, using SMC Injectors as a prerequisite.

11 Likes

I mean

I mean… translations :stuck_out_tongue:
I don’t think you’re reasonable here, just squishing those panels, doesn’t convince me :slight_smile:

I guess resizing would be also a problem because every other list has the same dimensions?
The only other think would be making these spaces smaller :

But yeah i get it, every other tab would need to be resized.

I guess the only real option would be scrollable lists and find options for other lists to. But i guess having content for the sake of content is not the way to go. The only real options to add rn would be Portal Axles/ more Gearboxes and more Gearbox ratios.

While it is sad i guess i will accept defeat. Thanks for considering though

Yeah, listboxes are standardized sizes, we’re not going to change that for one tab :slight_smile: UI conventions keeping a consistent look are important. There is not enough space on the sides for another listbox, otherwise I would have considered that.
Cheers

1 Like

Fiero.

Steel hood & roof, plastic everything else.

On a similar note, I fully condone partial plastic replacing CRS. It’s a far more common prospect.

How about this:

Have the Partial Panel Material selection in the Trim Body tab!

This would not only allow mixing and matching of panel materials,
but also allows variations of these depending on the trim levels.
This is actually a quite common thing car manufacturers do, eG, out of my head:
Volkswagen Lupo
Basic trims: Steel - Steel
3L (Eco) and GTI (Performance) Trims: Steel - Aluminium (For that Lightness!)

Or even updates on facelifts:
70’s trim: Still uses Steel - Steel
80’s unlocks Polymer material
80’s trim update/facelift: Steel - Polymer

-Also note, while I mocked that UI layout up, I considered that it was planned to remove the Fixture Quality slider, anyway

What do you think?

18 Likes

The new Prius Prime uses some carbon fiber bodywork along with some aluminum ones too. I think partial carbon is a lot more useful than CRS. Also, adding an 8th option (at least) for UI lists could be pretty beneficial, because then aren’t limiting yourself due to space in the future if you ever come up with any more options. Sure, it would be a lot of work and take quite a bit of time and effort, but i think it would be worth it in the end. At least eventually.

1 Like

In regards to CRS being replaced by partial plastic in the panel materials, how about replacing CRS in the chassis material tab with treated steel?

No, that doesn’t make much sense considering there is an item (Galvanized Steel) that fills the exact same role. :slight_smile: Also, the CRS option for the chassis saves you one addon slot, making it an interesting option for smaller scale productions.

Update on the new item for the panels though: Partial Plastic won’t happen because those parts are not SMC, so we don’t have the factory component to make that. So it looks like we’ll settle with a Alu / CF combo instead, which the addons already do exist for.

6 Likes

That’s a shame since partial plastic or some type of partial polymer is almost an essential choice for nearly all cars since the late 1970s at least with regards to the front and rear bumpers becoming whole plastic sections of the whole body then later developed into the whole front and rear clips and in some cases also includes the front fenders.

Cars like the Camaro added polymer front and rear front 1978 so it wasn’t just used in economy cars.

By the 1980s almost all cars had fully integrated plastic or polymer bumpers

By the 1990s this often turned into full front clips like the Carmaros.

Into the 2000s plastic or polymer front clips were and remain the go to for pretty much all common vehicles.

5 Likes