Old Cars in Full Drag - Conke-PMI Drag Meet [COMPLETED]

The flying brick awaits your challenge! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I do remember, before I finished, seeing 12.something (vague enough)

EDIT: I’ve decided I hate this competition. I’m building faster cars with each new experiment. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Dont be hate’n, keep participate’n

This contest taught me a lot more about weight transfer than the older drag race events I’d entered pre UE4. according to automation I’m a few seconds faster than you, but who knows what will happen in the brackets.

3 Likes

Does fuel load make a difference? And, if so, will you be adjusting it or just running with the default setting?

I’m still waiting to explode… tick tock tick tock. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

All cars are driven with 5 liters of fuel. So there’s no fuel load difference.

2 Likes

An idea struck me…

1 Like

Bamford BL Teuton "Gremlen 2"
Built on a 1970 Bamford Teuton “Gremlen 1” was a 3 litre V12 Steel bodied dragster and was one of eight factory built Teuton dragsters, Gremlen 1 (A corruption on the spelling of Gremlin) was rebuilt into a 450ci V8 fibreglass funnycar and is still racing today.

In 2010 Bamtech (The modern interpretation of Bamford) built a new Gremlen after purchasing the last remaining all-steel Teuton dragster.

Gremlen 2, being somewhat historically significant as a rare example of a British built factory dragster, was kept with it’s original 450 V8 (The V12 Gremlen being a factory experiment) and was bored out to 470ci and it’s Liberty gearbox and transaxle were updated to modern standards.

3 Likes

Quarter Finals

Note: a full list of best clean run times will be shared at the end, after the final.

1. Centauri Marauder Mad Drag vs Epoch M40 Atlas 2300 DRAG
Summary

Neither of the two drag cars have a particularly good start, although the Marauder is off the line with quicker reaction times than the Epoch (here seen in practice).

The Epoch follows closely early on, but higher power and a dual clutch gearbox give the Marauder an insurmountable advantage. At the finish, the difference is nearly a second.

The Centauri Marauder Mad Drag qualifies for the semi-final.

1. Ardent Marathon Drag Spec vs Lagerfelter Performance Engineering (LPE) Emerald Draggin
Summary

Impressive start from the LPE Emerald, who has been impressive over practice yesterday. The power and weight difference with the Ardent is significant, and after 200 meters, there’s quite a gap already, despite the Ardent being the first of the line.

The Ardent braves on regardless, and it pays off, since the LPE Emerald is slowing down, smoke bellowing from under the hood. Something went wrong there. At about 50 meters from the finish line the Ardent overtakes the stricken LPE and finishes first with a sub-11 second run.

The Ardent Marathon Drag Spec qualifies for a semi-final against the Centauri Marauder Mad Drag.

1. Meijer Tokyo 57 SportC vs G&W Seax 1969 - 2015
Summary

Not much of a competition here, as the small Meijer Tokyo blows up its engine at the start line. A pity for the small Meyer as the team completed practice yesterday with a lot gusto.

The G&W finished the run, but spared car and engine, not going full throttle.

The G&W Seax 1969 - 2015 qualifies for the second semi-final.

1. BL Teuton Gremlen 2 vs Bogliq Coyote 590 Night Terror
Summary

Final run of the day. The BL Teuton with the odd choice for an automatic gearbox depends more than other cars on quick reactions at the start. The gear changes later the driver cannot butch up, but they aren’t optimal either.

The Bogliq has a standard manual transmission and a screaming V8 under the hood, but the start is disappointing from the driver. Lower power and heavier weight don’t even give the car a chance against the BL Teuton after that.

The Bogliq finished just above 12 seconds, although practice has shown it can go well into the 11 seconds.

The BL Teuton Gremlen 2 will battle out the semi-final with the G&W Seax 1969 - 2015.

6 Likes

Still not on fire… :thinking:

1 Like

Well, it sux that I didn’t get to run against that scumbag in the Ardent (:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) but that’s racing, I guess… :relieved:

1 Like

Good race everyone, sad to see two car fail due to rapid unplanned mechanical disassembly, I’m glad the drivers walked away unscathed.

That said however, It’s on to the semi finals! And the Mad drag Marauder’s magnesium block 662ci V8 is still hungry for blood.

4 Likes

RIP little V8, you sadly weren’t that long with us

Good race. I guess shoving an old road-based engine (although updated and modified) into a 60’s light van/truck was a little too unconventional to be competitive :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Bummer. At least the driver just blew up the engine and didn’t drive it over the wall on launch, or die trying to stop 2700 lbs from 150+ mph with 6.5" drums (which are pretty much on fire at that point). The 1960 version ran under 11 seconds. The 2020 version was, um, faster. Still curious to see some timeslips.

Semi Finals

1. Centauri Marauder Mad Drag vs Ardent Marathon Drag Spec
Summary

Welcome to the first of these two semi finals on the second and decisive day of the meet!

The best start is for the Ardent, with the Centauri Marauder lifting its wheels dangerously high from the ground, necessitating lifting off the throttle briefly.

Again though high power and the sophisticated gearbox of the Marauder are enough to reign its opponent back in. Team Ardent cannot be totally disappointed though, as they set down a time much faster than in practice.

1. G&W Seax 1969 - 2015 vs BL Teuton Gremlen 2
Summary

Both cars are off the line in less than the blink of an eye. The BL Teuton cannot gain much more in terms of fast gear changes with the automatic gearbox, so all the pressure is on the G&W Saex.

The G&W is taking the lead, though it’s very close, both cars having very similar power to weight ratios.
Close to the finish, we can hear the G&W buzzing the limiter, allowing the BL Teuton to catch up.

It is not enough though, and the G&W can prepare for a final against the Centauri Marauder!

5 Likes

Yee-haw! Hang on to your butts, the Marauder is flying to the finals!

Dom’s_Charger_-RWD_Wheelie(TFaTF)|690x293

Nice race @VicVictory , you had me on the launch, I just had enough engine to reel you back in before the end.

Well @stm316 good luck tomorrow, I’ll be seeing you at the lights. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Final

Centauri Marauder Mad Drag vs G&W Seax 1969 - 2015

It’s a nervous start for both cars, neither is off the line quite as fast as they could. Cheers from the crowd for the wheely the Marauder is pulling off.

The G&W, though more sedate, is on its heels though. The power difference between both cars is sizable, but the G&W is almost half a metric ton lighter. It looks like this might just be a win for the underdog!

But then the low top speed comes into play again, and on the last few meters, the Marauder passes the G&W buzzing the limiter to victory!

Congrats @nialloftara for the victory!

Congrats also to @Obfuscious, who was marred by bad luck from the random number generator, despite the relative low odds of mechanical failure, as he built the fastest car.

Top times for each car were (I ran three runs each, and positions 2-6 actually overlapped and could largely beat each other in the quarter and semi):

User Car Time
Obfuscious Lagerfelter Performance Engineering (LPE) Emerald Draggin 00:09,129
Nialloftara Centauri Marauder Mad Drag 00:10,013
Stm316 G&W Seax 1969 - 2015 00:10,328
BailsMackenzie BL Teuton Gremlen 2 00:10,501
VicVictory Ardent Marathon Drag Special 00:10,857
Machalel Epoch M40 Atlas 2300 DRAG 00:10,861
HighOctaneLove Bogliq Coyote 590 Night Terror 00:11,789
TheAlmightyTwingo Meijer Tokyo 57 SportC 00:12,698
Marcus_GT500 Bridgell Horizon Drag 00:13,070

Thanks for competiting. There weren’t that much submissions, and I am trying to figure out a way to report these kind of events better. I also need to refine the rule set if I ever host a drag racing event again. It was in any case nice to see everyone experiment and in some cases get impressive results within the set limitations.

9 Likes

Not a bad time for only 417Kw. Those PMI V8’s fit into a G&W quite nicely. :grinning:
Congrats to Niall, well done to those who finished, better luck next time to those who didn’t.:+1:
Thx @Private_Miros for hosting, and hope there are more entrants if there’s another meet.

3 Likes

Thank you for hosting. Interesting to see how close most of times were, even with a relatively open rule set!

2 Likes