Once More (Unto the Breach) [FINAL RESULTS]

Maroon Marauders - Part 4

Early evening, east of Missoula

Having refueled their car just before crossing the state line, the Maroon Marauders continued to maintain a steady pace. Few other teams were within sight, but at least they were running near the front - fourth overall, in fact. And thanks to the car’s comfortable ride and plush interior, they had not yet shown any sign of fatigue.

It was then that Gary began talking to himself: “So many of the other teams are having issues so soon, I hope at least some of them are equipped to deal with major mechanical emergencies. And even if they do, there’s no guarantee they can hold out for the whole race. I’m just hoping they stick around long enough to give us some real competition. In the meantime, we could be better off sticking to our plan of steady driving until the time comes to take a break.”

Denny somehow heard him and silently acknowledged the team’s plan to stick to their usual pace. With that, the Maroon Marauders continued on their way and drove off into the sunset… For the first time in the race.

4 Likes

Tiger Trouble

@Private_Miros

Kayden heard the CB “echo” and turned to face the source of the sound, his eyes focusing on Alice of Team Trinity. He spoke to his siblings in Tigrilan, “Anything happens, find safety,” before getting out of his seat. He walked toward Alice with a tiger’s grace, each step light on the floor, nearly silent despite his nearly 400 pound body, and despite wearing a robe that would make a Sith Lord jealous.

He sat down at Alice’s table, then said, “I believe introductions are in order. I am Kayden of the Tigrilan Warriors. Who are you?”

5 Likes

Team Trinity

Alice composed herself - silently swearing at John.

Nice to meet you Kayden. I am Alice of Team Trinity! Just having dinner here while my team mates are fixing the car.

She looked down at her untouched plate, and briefly considered saying “sorry, I hadn’t noticed you”, but that would have sounded less than convincing.

I am happy you guys came to say hi. I usually like talking but I drove the way here and felt a bit tired.

She had half stretched out her hand in his direction, but held back. She wasn’t sure whether shaking hands, or a paw, or whatever, was a good idea. Ask him something neutral, she thought.

How is the trip going? What brings you here?

Quickly adding:

To the competition I mean.

Meanwhile outside, John watched Matt as he added oil to the gearbox when Ivy Mike tugged on his leash and scratched the door to get back in.

We’re compromised. John mumbled.

We’re what now?

Finish up and go get Alice, we need to get going. Look at the clouds. I don’t want to be driving in the dark and in the rain.

John got back in the car, leaving Matt confused. But he shrugged and started packing up. Having done so, he walked into the direction of the Grill place that Alice was having dinner at.

4 Likes

Tiger Trouble

Kayden smiled as Alice asked how the trip was going, and what brought them into the competition. “Our trip is going about as good as one can expect in transports purchased for less than 30 silver Crowns. Our transport rattles like a grallik nest, and we have had a few mishaps with learning our vessel. As for our reason for being in the competition, we are using the journey to explore. I believe the word you might use is ‘tourist’ to describe us. And to answer your unspoken question, we are here because our ship is out of fuel for our faster than light engine. It is only a minor problem, we are searching for a compatible replacement fuel to make it home.”

Kayden smiled before asking, “So, you know why we are here in this challenge, so I ask the same in return.”

5 Likes

Team Trinity

Faster than light!? How does that work?

Composure, Alice. John always said: “never show them what you know, yes. But more importantly, never tell them what you don’t.”

Fuck John, right now.

We’re… tourists as well in a way. We do the trip for the adventure. To see the country. And to compete. It’s nice to be among the leading cars.

Actually, there might be an opening here. Why am I thinking about openings? I ought to be thinking about getting away from this huge tiger-human from who-knows where.

My friend Matt is a good mechanic, he could take a look at your rattling car. Not sure he is familiar with Graellinks [mispronounced] but he sure knows his ways around all kinds of vessels.

Matt enters the restaurant and freezes. He sees the two Tigrilans at the table first, huge, animal-like, yet strangely human. He follows there gaze and sees the tallest of the entities standing over Alice. She looks composed, but she seems to shiver a bit.

What is John planning with this, Matt wonders, putting pieces together. Alright then, get Alice out of here I suppose.

Alice! we’re leaving. John is in the car already!

Alice smiled at Kayden and shoved her chair back, grabbing her note book.

I need to go.

Adding the invitation.

Feel free to meet up with us further down the route if the car still rattles. Maybe we can talk again.

Looking at the big cat she could she him half-looking at the food.

You can have it, if you want. I had enough.

That was a lie. She was suddenly hungry. But she was happy to go. She didn’t dare to look back at them. Matt saw the three Tigrilans look at him. He simple nodded at them while letting Alice past and then turned around and walked with her to the Ardent, hoping that they would not immediately follow.

5 Likes

Tiger Trouble

Kayden shrugged as Alice asked how the faster than light engine worked. “What little bit I know, it is a combination of localized wormholes and strong enough shields to keep your ship from breaking apart. Nova or Sentinel could tell you more, but I doubt that either of us have the time to listen to an AI explain how it works.”

As Alice then offered Matt’s assistance in looking at the rattle in their car, Kayden nodded lightly. “Perhaps when next we meet. You mentioned earlier that your partners were already repairing your vessel.”

As Alice left with Matt, the three Tigrilans shared a momentary glance at each other before watching the pair retreat back to their car.

“Trouble?” Kaylie asked.

“They are up to something.” Jaden replied, looking at Kayden. “She was able to keep it together, but she was just as frightened as the rest of the humans in here.”

Kayden nodded lightly, though said, “She could have unnaturally high self-confidence. Or a lack of a self-preservation instinct. We have to consider those options as well.”

Kaylie gave a toothy grin, then said, “You should have turned up the intimidation a bit, maybe you could have scared a little more information out of her.”

“The humans don’t work like that. Some can be intimidated, but others fight back. I prefer to use my blade as little as possible.” Kayden replied.

Nova added in, “The humans have an interesting saying that goes well with what Kayden is saying. ‘You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.’ Frightening another team for information might get us a bit of useful or useless information. Being polite may get us a little bit of useful information, and possibly some help in the future, if we require it.”

Jaden grinned, then said, “And the Wise One has spoken. If no one else is going to eat that, I will. Twin Suns, traveling makes me hungry.”

6 Likes

The Thompson Family

Greg, Rick, Kate, Danny
Danny: Dad, it’s getting so hot!
Greg: Oh, let me make the A/C blow more, wait what?! It seems that the AC is broken.
Danny: Oh great!
Opens window
Danny: Dad, I want to replace our minivan…
Greg: With what?
Danny: I don’t know. But the other day I saw a Module XR-20. It looks cool not going to lie.
Kate: Just have a wagon.
Greg: A crossover would be fine… The Module seems to be awesome!
Rick: You want SUVs, you go with the Corsica Yosemite. I mean it’s a Corsica. It’s reliable and popular.
Danny: Not as cool as the Module…
Rick: I have to agree on this one…
Greg: Why not a Saminda or an Auxuras?
Rick: They have many recalls. You want your car to be recalled? Hell nah!
Greg: Hmmm… I don’t really want to replace our trusty Hokuto though…
Danny: You buy that Module, we’re going to be the coolest in school.
Greg: Not really, I heard someone brought a Shromet Levine RINO to school. It’s absolutely purple.
Danny: Oh, well then…
How about we buy a truck?
Danny: What truck?
Greg: I don’t know, a Tanaka Biome?
Danny: That’s generic…
And so, they continuously talk about cars., to be continued…

6 Likes

Team Rockport

Zack and Leo are done eating. They’ll be leaving the restaurant shortly and head for their next waypoint.

Zack: Proceeds to take out wallet
Leo: You’re paying for the gas, drove over 200 miles, paid for all the repair works. I think I should be paying for this.
Zack: But… Dude I appreciate it but Leo, I brought you into this. And besides it’s not cheap.
Leo: You brought me into it and I wanted in. Just let me take care of this for now. Also I’m driving until our next two waypoints I guess…
Zack: Not a hard limit, as long as you could hold.
Leo: Alright!

Bills have been paid, it’s go time. Leo takes the driver’s seat finally. He gently turns the ignition key as the 4 Liter V8 rumbles back to life once again, ready to churn up miles. They’ve got a lot of catch up to do, many obstacles to overcome. But they have faith in themselves and their car

Yeah that repair work really fucked me over innit

4 Likes

RK Series Racing; Chapter IV; debuff for Connor

With the team in a fairly good mood, nothing much happens at first, until the fuel gauge nears the E mark.

Tonsom: “We should start looking for some fuel…”
Redwood: “Yeah… better safe than sorry.”

Not even 10 minutes later, the car comes to a halt at a small-ish gas station in Spokane, WA.
Tonsom gets out and starts to refuel the car. The other two follow, for differing reasons.
Redwood wants to get some walking distance after sitting for 4 hours, and Connor exists the car just for the sake of proximity to Tonsom.

Tonsom: “I think we should switch drivers… i’ve driven for YEARS, but i need a break…”
Redwood: [while trundeling up and down the length of the Dione] “Guess it’s Connor’s turn then.”

Connor, without a word, get’s into the driver’s seat and starts adjusting his seating position and steering column.

Connor: “I am ready.”

A few more minutes of refilling pass. Then, everyone gets into the car and Connor starts the Dione’s 5 cylinder turbocharged engine. Though getting the gearbox into gear seems to be a challenge as Connor tries to aim for the gear stick, but misses it entirely.

Tonsom: [obviously annoyed] “Something wrong, Connor?”
Connor: [in denial] “No. I’m fine.”

He reaches for the gear leaver again, yet fails to grab it.

Tonsom: [more annoyed] “U Kiddin’ me?? You’re missing the shifter by about a foot there, boy!”
Redwood: “If you’re hurt you shouldn’t be driving, u know that?”
Connor: [defeated] “It’s the damage dealt before we went to the so-called Great Automation Run 2…”
Tonsom: “Wait… you haven’t got around to get that fixed?”
Connor: “How can you fix something if there is nothing to fix it with and nobody able to fix it?”
Tonsom: “Aw FUCK! So… where’s the issue?”
Connor: [hesitant] “I would like to have my coin back.”

Tonsom, very reluctantly, hands out the coin again…

Connor's Coin Fuckery

Connor rolls the Coin around his left hand knuckles a few times.
Then he flings the coin across to his right hand in a perfectly straight line.
The coin quickly flies back to his left hand, repeating the process back and forth a few times.
To finalize the calibration process, the coin flies back to his right hand once more and comes to a stop with it´s edge between his right index and middle finger.

Totally not ripped off, but shhhh

Afterwards, Connor pockets the coin and tries to grab the gear lever again. This time, the attempt is successful, but Connor cannot exert enough force to actually put it into gear.

Redwood: “Wait… what?”
Connor: “I had to shut off Thirium flow to the affected area to prevent further leakage. Power is severely limited.”
Tonsom: “So you are saying that you now have the coordination to drive, but not the literal strength?”
Connor: “In a sense, yes. And this problem will persist until we can repair the damage.”
Redwood: [trying to break the less-than-optimal mood] “Okay… you cannot shift on your own, right?”
Connor: “Yes.”
Redwood: “How about me doing it for you?”
Tonsom: [confused] “How’s that gonna work, smartass?”
Redwood: “Please! Let me finish!
A friend of mine has a right-hand-drive car which i drive fairly frequently. I can shift with either hand. He could call out the desired gear and i’ll do the rowing.”
Tonsom: [not particularly impressed] “I don’t know how a 19 year old kid could come up with THIS abomination of an idea…”

A moment of thinking in silence…

Redwood: “Here’s the exact plan i have.
Connor will be driving, obviously. When desired, he will call out the gear he wants. I’ll engage the gear wanted and repeat the callout to confirm the gear change being done, thereby letting Connor know when i’m done sifting.”
Tonsom: “Huh… you can try… seems like we don’t really have a choice anyway.”

The team begins setting up their semi-automated gearbox. Tonsom enters the car in the rear left seat after paying for the fuel. Redwood occupies the co-driver seat, ready to take on his new job as a voice-controlled gearbox operator. The car is about to hit the road again.

Connor: [calm] “Okay… Egange first gear.”
Redwood: [putting the Dione into 1st] “First.”

The car rolls out of the gas station and onto the open road.

Connor: “Second.”
Redwood: [after completing the shifting] “Second.”

Not even half a mile later, Connor floors it to gain speed onto the highway.

Connor: “Third!”
Redwood: [putting in third] “Third.”

Connor: “Fifth.”
Redwood: [taking longer than usual, having expected 4th] “Err… Fifth.”

Tonsom: “Well… seems to work… but try and get yourself fixed when we stop for rest, okay?”
Connor: “I can try, but no promises.”

About 25 minutes later, Redwood wants to meet some more people.

Redwood: “Err… RK Series Racing to anyone in range. Just… ehhh… wanted to have a chat to kill so-”
Connor: [audible] “Fourth.”
Redwood: "Right…

Fourth."

Redwood: “Sorry… we have some gearbox issues… again if anyone’s up for some chit chat or something, i’d appreciate meeting new people!”

note: Text in blockquote is audible through the CB.

Teams in range:
@Centurion_23

@SkylineFTW97

@Caligo

Teams for telephone contact:
@Mythrin (you have to initiate it in this case, though)

6 Likes

Team Beer Blokes & BBQs

In dialogue:
S = Sam
T = Tom
M = Mike

M: Well, we’re here, lets head inside for something to eat
T: Finally, I’m starving.
S: You’re always starving Tom.

The trio head into the waffle house to grab some food, while waiting for their waffles to arrive, they decided to talk about some of their competition

T: There sure is some weird cars in this comp, we have a semi, a ups van with a v8, a hearse, and a shitbox with eyelashes just to name a few.
M: The weirdness doesn’t stop at the cars, some of the competitors are a little odd too, the giant tiger people for one, and that robot in the anhultz.
S: I wonder how those tiger people got here, they can’t be from this planet.
T: Probably from somewhere in a land far beyond our understanding of space I guess.
M: I wonder how everyone else is faring reliability wise.
S: I heard along the grape vine that some teams have had a few issues, but most are still sailing smoothly like us.
M: Speaking of, I should probably give the car a quick once over to make sure nothing’s gone awry.
T: And here comes the food, let’s not waste any more time.

They finish their food and head to the gas station check over the car.

M: Welp, time to see what hidden nasties we’ve been neglecting have shown up.
S: Hey, there’s a hardware store just over the road, Tom, could you pop over there and see if they have any earmuffs while Mike and I check over the car?

Tom walks over to the hardware store and the two of them get to work, starting in the engine bay

M: Everything’s looking fine as far as cooling goes, all the hoses seem to be tight, no leaks that I can see.
S: Can you smell fuel?
M: What kind of question is that? We’re at a fuel station for gods sake, of course I can smell fuel.
S: I know that, I meant from the engine. As soon as you opened the hood, the smell of fuel got stronger.
M: Oh, right. I’ll look over the fuel system now then.
S: I think the smell is the strongest over here.
M: Oh yeah, I can see where it’s coming from. Right there, from the fuel pulsation dampener.
S: Well that’s no good, we might need to tell Tom to pick up a fire extinguisher while he’s over there in case a fire starts under here from that leaking fuel.
M: That would be a good idea, besides, I can’t do anything about it here, I need a proper workspace and tools to fix this.
S: Next town that has a shop with the right facilities is Missoula, and that’s about 2 hours away.

As they look over to Tom, back with the earmuffs, they notice a familliar white van stopped at the traffic lights

M: Hey isn’t that the team with the weebs in it?
S: I think it is, and surely you must have another way to refer to them as, that’s a little insensitive of you.
M: diverting attention away from himself Sorry Tom, but you’re gonna have to go over to the hardware store again, we found a fuel leak and want to have a fire extinguisher handy in case something catches fire.
T: sigh Okay.

Tom heads back over to the hardware store, and the two finish checking over the engine bay, finding no other issues.

M: Where did we put that jack, I want to check the suspension.
S: I think it’s buried somewhere in the middle.
M: Ugh, who packed this thing again?
S: You did.
M: Oh, right then.

Mike dug through the mountain of spares, food and camping gear they had packed for the trip, eventually finding the jack and the two jack stands they packed.

M: This wheel feels a tad loose, I think the wheel bearing’s gone bad.
S: It feels like a similar story on my side too, looks like more work for when we stop in Missoula.
M: We’re gonna need to drive like the wind to have any chance of winning after this setback.
S: As long as you don’t bin it in a divider like the truck or get caught by the cops, do whatever you need to.

Tom returns from the hardware store with the fire extinguisher as requested. They made room for it in their pile and set off as soon as possible, not wanting to lose any more time than they needed.

4 Likes

yeah close enough xD

2 Likes

Team Harcourt-Entwhistle

Stage 3

Gran - That’s it boys, we’ll pull over there and have a BBQ.

Mopey - So what does roast deer taste like?

Spanners - It’s meat so tasty, I guess.

Gran - If it’s been marinated and cooked properly then it tastes divine dear.

Mopey - It’s a divine deer?

Spanners - That’s what she said!

Gran - No, no, no…I meant…pah! Why do I bother. Lets make a fire to cook it.

After eating…

Mopey - That did taste good.

Spanners - Mmmmmmm…sure did.

Gran - can you boys get rid of the carcass somewhere?

Both - Sure, will do.

Spanners checks the coolant level and is happy that the Radweld has worked.

At 7 the team get back on the road, with Gran driving. 20 minutes later Gran braked harder than normal…

Gran - What’s that running down the window?

Spanners - Looks like deer blood Mrs E.

Mopey - Yup, I’d concur.

Gran - So it’s still strapped to the roof?

Both - Yes.

Gran - Even though I distinctly told you to get rid of it.

Spanners and Mopey looked at each other…

Both - Erm…

Gran - Next bin we see gets the carcass…it’s starting to smell!

5 Likes

Meanwhile at Team Gizzle

After a lof of insults and discussing, Zack and Jayson finally calmed down. Finding fitting tools was not difficult. Most of the time was spent assigning roles, on which they managed to agree on.

Z: I don’t know what annoys me more… sitting here for the next few hours fixing the car, or sitting here for the next few hours listening to you rapping.

J: [while lying under the car, searching for a source of the coolant leak] Fuck you! Get over here and explain why this cross-headed screwdriver wouldn’t fit in this slit-headed bolt.

Z: Hey Pussy! You’re not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, right?

J: …

Z: [angry; throwing some tools into a corner] Just because of this shitbox i cannot have some fun with that girl from the gas station.

J: [rapping] YO chill out bro is just a random hoe, we are the biggest fuckers in the world the biggest pimps not like small fishs more like shrimps. Expensive sea food. Yeah …

Z: Does ANYTHING make at least SOME sense in your life?

random mechanic: Hey! You have to behave yourselves or else my boss will kick your sorry asses outta here.

J: …
Z: …

to be continued

5 Likes

TGGBA: Shitbox Crusaders: Part IV I suppose

The van continues steadily trundling past.

EMILY: “…So, you prefer waifus?”

YURI: “Sometimes? This is awkward! I need to stop speaking of this subject!”

EMILY: “I guess we could talk about the 1980s aesthetics, with the grids?”

YURI: “Maybe…”

EMILY: “Oh, there’s a Module UR-15 overtaking us.”

YURI: “That is a very nice car.”

EMILY: “Me and Haruki have one. It’s gorgeous. And fast. And fun.”

YURI: “So… nothing like me then.”

EMILY: “Yuri, you look beautiful.”

YURI: “Thanks… I suppose.”

Meanwhile in the front row…

DAVID: “I might see if anyone else is nearby. I swear I saw that rusty SUV a few minutes ago, looked to be the same one we saw at the start.”

HARUKI: “Go on.”

DAVID on CB: “Tojaro Poojoe, does anyone copy?”

(@yangx2 is within CB range, a CB interaction can be made.)

Yes - Roundabout plays…
TO BE CONTINUED.

3 Likes

Team Wang Lao Ji - Fri 4-6 PM

As the decrepit HAC pulls into a Spokane Mobil, Anderson wakes up. Jackie was already inside the Seven-Eleven at the station.

H: Finally you’re awake, sleeping on the job…
A: You don’t need me for anything yet… is that A-Lin playing on the aux? Never knew you were into her
H (annoyed): She’s great, don’t knock on her aye.
A: Jolin Tsai a fine one though
H: Lexie Liu over that shit

The gas pump stopped. The bill read $30 which Harry ignored entirely. Both Harry and Anderson let out a yawn. They were quite tired by now, and the drab landscape of Spokane didn’t help much either.

A: All these damn buildings are sandstone… so boring.
H: Okay, engineer

Jackie then walked out of the convenience store with a bag of Cheetos and condoms.

H: The fuck did you buy condoms for?
J: Y-you said for me to get laid on this trip. Right?

Harry wanted to continue speaking, but the looks of everyone at the gas station left him restrained. He instead, let out a deep sigh.

H: Whatever.

4 Likes

Team “Buy Skyrim”

Meanwhile, the team has found a small eatery, which sells traditional German and also Central European food. They sat down on a table and Nathan ordered several bottles of beer in the scene.

VINCENT: These pork ribs taste a bit…oily. Do the Germans really do that? I went to Germany before, BTW. I don’t think they…

NAOMI: It’s okay, darling. Just eat it. We haven’t been eating anything proper since like, 2 days. Let us enjoy our food shall we?

Nathan suddenly took a beer, drank it and started moaning about The Elder Scrolls for some reason. He looks drunk, probably because he drank a lot of beer.

NATHAN: Dude. Skyrim is just a puddle compared to the classic that is Morrowind. You can get lost and have the fun you won’t intend to know in Morrowind. Trying to do that in Skyrim? Nah. Tough luck.

NAOMI: Uncle, It’s not the time for which TES game is better anyway. You’re drunk, by the way.

NATHAN: I ain’t drunk! Erm…Naomi, I want to tell you…your parents are di…

VINCENT: Dude, stop saying shit, I’ll take you to the car. Naomi, take him to the back seat, and I think I’ll drive.

NATHAN: Fucking Todd dumbing down my Elder Scrolls…

Naomi took Nathan to the car, and they continued the journey later on.

NAOMI: yawns I need to sleep.

4 Likes

James is driving, Charles is in the passenger seat, and Nathan is somewhere in the far back…

Nathan: The best way to leave the gas station is with style! …Driver please?
James: Oh, you’re getting it today…

They drive peacefully out of the gas station to get on the highway. When they get just onto the on-ramp James stops the car, with quizzical glances from Nathan and Charles, and gives a wink to Charles.
James then proceeds to brake stand the limo in first gear, creating a small but steady pouring of smoke from the rear tires, then hits second as he eases off the brakes. Outside observers get to see an old rusty limo pouring smoke from the rear tires as it accelerates on the on-ramp getting up to speed to merge. And it is quite the spectacle with the V8 roaring and the whole car going slightly sideways before James corrects it and zips into traffic.

A few minutes prior
Nathan: So where are we meeting them?
Charles: We’be meetin greasy lightning at Casagranda’s Steakhouse
Nathan: Ah, good, cuz I’m getting hungry. So driver [referring to James], gonna take me in style?
James: Oh, you are really pushing the VIP treatment now, since I’ve finally been driving my birthday gift.
Charles: We gonna get a hotel tonights? Ma back’s a acken!
James: Yes, yes, in Sheridan, Wyoming.
Nathan: Ah, good. My accommodations are all in order. What a fine chauffeur I have. Maybe he’ll even open the mysterious package we received on my behalf…
James sternly: We are not touching that package! That’s a rule.
Nathan: …I still think its a pie.

3 Likes

Previous time block

Friday, 8PM - 10PM Eastern Time

Legend of Terms:

POI NOTE: I will NOT be pre-warning of upcoming POI points. I will ONLY auto-stop teams for two things: fuel and, when completely exhausted, rest. Anything else you want (including tourist POI, restaurants, premature fuel, rest at any point before complete exhaustion), YOU need to PM me in advance (before I run the time block that you’d complete it in). Also, please don’t map out everything from here to the end in one PM… try to keep it within a couple time blocks. Remember: Tourist POI and sit-down restaurants (not fast food) give bonuses to morale and fatigue, but take some time. Tourist POI also give points to the POI award at the end.

BD: Block Distance. This is the amount of mileage covered during the current 2 hour period.
OD: Overall Distance. This is the total distance that the team has covered since the event started.
FS: Fuel Status. Approximate fuel reading on the vehicle’s fuel gauge.
MRL: Morale modifier
FTG: Fatigue Level
Last Town: Last town of note that was passed (will not include tiny villages)
Next Waypoint: Should be self explanatory.
Weather Condition: Current weather condition at the end of the time block.
Notes: Any notes I have for your team during this time block. Including POI results, car issues, etc.

VicVictory:
BD: 75 mi OD: 598 mi FS: FULL MRL: +3 FTG: +0
Last Town: Butte, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairgrounds
Weather Condition: 84 degrees, mostly cloudy
Notes: Vehicle has passed through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. Team has refueled in Butte, MT. Team has stopped for dinner at Casagranda’s Steakhouse in Butte, MT. They are headed back to the freeway at the end of the time block.

@Elizipeazie:
BD: 162 mi OD: 560 mi FS: 1/3 MRL: +0 FTG: +4
Last Town: Deer Lodge, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairgrounds
Weather Condition: 74 degrees, thunderstorm
Notes: INCIDENT: at the end of the time block, this vehicle loses control in the thunderstorm and skids off the road. They do not hit anything, however there is potential wheel and suspension damage.

@Fayeding_Spray:

BD: 52 mi OD: 576 mi FS: 1/3 MRL: -4 FTG: +6
Weather Condition: 78 degrees, raining
Notes: Team has passed through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT.
CRITICAL FAILURE: Clutch has failed catastrophically.
FINAL MORALE/FATIGUE: (-3/+24) (Cranky and tired)

@BannedByAndroid:
BD: 168 mi OD: 664 mi FS: 1/4 MRL: +0 FTG: +6
Weather Condition: 85 degrees, mostly cloudy
Notes: Team has driven through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. Team has crossed the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass. SES light has turned on. Team is currently climbing Bozeman Pass. Team is feeling a bit tired.
Ongoing issue: Vehicle is making a clunking noise from the front going over bumpy roads.

@kobacrashi:
BD: 159 mi OD: 644 mi FS: FULL MRL: -2 FTG: +6
Last Town: Butte, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairground
Notes: Team has crossed the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass. INCIDENT: Team has been pulled over and cited for speeding by a Montana Highway Patrol trooper. They are back on the road before the end of the time block. Team is feeling a little bit tired.
Ongoing issue: Car is making a grinding noise when turning right.

@Madrias:
BD: 156 mi OD: 636 mi FS: 1/4- MRL: +0 FTG: +3
Notes: Team has driven through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. Team has crossed the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass.
Ongoing issue: Rattling noise in engine.

@yangx2:
BD: 148 mi OD: 571 mi FS: LOW MRL: +0 FTG: +4
Notes: Team has driven through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. Team is starting to feel slightly fatigued.

@mart1n2005:
BD: 139 mi OD: 499 mi FS: FULL MRL: +1 FTG: +5
Last Town: Missoula, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairground
Weather Condition: 85 degrees, dark clouds ahead
Notes: Waypoint complete: Lookout Pass. Car has passed into the Mountain Time Zone (ET-2). Team is starting to feel slightly fatigued. Team has refueled in Missoula, MT.
Ongoing issue: Jury-rigged RR suspension mount. Unknown how long it will hold.

@Kubboz:

BD: 153 mi OD: 568 mi FS: 3/4+ MRL: -6 FTG: +5
Last Town: Drummond, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairground
Weather Condition: 76 degrees, thunderstorm
Notes: Team has refueled in Three Forks, MT.
CRITICAL FAILURE: At the end of the time block, during a thunderstorm between Drummond and Deer Lodge, team begins to hydroplane due to car’s terrible handling. They slow down but are unable to completely correct, pitching into the median and rolling twice. Both occupants suffer minor injuries.
FINAL MORALE/FATIGUE: (-5/+10) (Ouch, that hurt)

@Mikonp7:
BD: 0 mi OD: 352 mi FS: FULL MRL: +2 FTG: -3
Last Town: Kellogg, ID Next Waypoint: Lookout Pass
Weather Condition: 80 degrees, sunny
Notes: Team is resting/napping this entire time block.

@Centurion_23:
BD: 163 mi OD: 564 mi FS: 1/2- MRL: +0 FTG: +4
Weather Condition: 76 degrees, thunderstorm
Notes: Team is currently passing through a thunderstorm.

@Xepy:
BD: 109 mi OD: 545 mi FS: 1/3 MRL: -2 FTG: +8
Weather Condition: 78 degrees, thunderstorm
Notes: INCIDENT: Cooling hose burst just east of Missoula, MT. Team has replaced from spares, and used spare coolant. INCIDENT: Team is having difficulty controlling vehicle during thunderstorm and has been slowed dramatically. Team is feeling a bit tired.

@Private_Miros:
BD: 157 mi OD: 637 mi FS: 1/2 MRL: +0 FTG: +4
Last Town: Butte, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairground
Weather Condition: 80 degrees, cloudy
Notes: Team has driven through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. Team has crossed the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass. ISSUE: transmission starts slipping slightly going over Homestake Pass. Team is starting to feel slightly fatigued.
Ongoing issues: SES light is on

@Boiled_Steak:
BD: 150 mi OD: 611 mi FS: FULL MRL: -1 FTG: +0
Last Town: St Regis, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairground
Weather Condition: 84 degrees, cloudy
Notes: INCIDENT: Driving through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT, team loses control and lightly taps a guard rail with the RF at speed. They bounced off and continued at speed. Damage: RF fender damage, RF door damage (difficult to open/close), possible tire/suspension damage. Team has refueled in Butte, MT. Team has crossed the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass. ISSUE: at end of time period, temperature gauge reading is climbing in an alarming manner
Ongoing issue: Slight hesitation at high speed. More pronounced now that the speed limit has increased. Team is feeling a bit tired.

@GetWrekt01:
BD: 142 mi OD: 425 mi FS: 1/3+ MRL: +1 FTG: +5
Last Town: St Regis, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairground
Weather Condition: 82 degrees, mostly sunny
Notes: Waypoint complete: Lookout Pass. Car has passed into the Mountain Time Zone (EST-2)

@Mythrin:
BD: 159 mi OD: 595 mi FS: LOW MRL: +0 FTG: +8
Last Town: Deer Lodge, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairground
Weather Condition: 82 degrees, light rain
Notes: Team has driven through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. Team will refuel early in the next time block in Butte, MT. Team is starting to feel a bit tired.

@Ryan93:
BD: 0 mi OD: 283 mi FS: FULL MRL: -1 FTG: +10
Last Town: Spokane, WA Next Waypoint: Lookout Pass
Weather Condition: 81 degrees, sunny
Notes: Team is off the road performing a head gasket replacement. They will be off the road for several hours. Team is feeling tired, and will hit a hotel when their repair is done.

@abg7:
BD: 164 mi OD: 655 mi FS: 1/3 MRL: +0 FTG: +5
Weather Condition: 82 degrees, cloudy
Notes: Team has driven through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. Team has crossed the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass. Team is starting to feel slightly fatigued.

@Radster:
BD: 161 mi OD: 643 mi FS: 2/3+ MRL: -1 FTG: +10
Weather Condition: 82 degrees, cloudy
Notes: Team has refueled in Butte, MT. Team has crossed the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass. Team is feeling tired.

@SkylineFTW97:
BD: 155 mi OD: 554 mi FS: 1/3+ MRL: +0 FTG: +5
Notes: Team has refueled in St Regis, MT. Team is currently driving through a thunderstorm, and is having some control difficulty. Team is starting to feel slightly fatigued.

@findRED19:
BD: 118 mi OD: 598 mi FS: FULL MRL: +3 FTG: -2
Weather Condition: 84 degrees, mostly cloudy
Notes: Team has driven through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. Team has refueled in Butte, MT. Team has stopped for dinner at Casagrande’s Steakhouse in Butte, MT. This will bleed into the next time period.

@Jaimz:
BD: 156 mi OD: 534 mi FS: 1/4 MRL: +0 FTG: +4
Last Town: Clinton, MT Next Waypoint: Gallatin County Fairground
Weather Condition: 79 degrees, heavy rain
Notes: Team has disposed of deer carcass at the Quartz Flats rest area. Team anticipates a thunderstorm shortly.
Ongoing issues: Car has a squeak and slight lateral shift of the rear going over bigger bumps. Small crack in windshield.

@Caligo:
BD: 177 mi OD: 571 mi FS: LOW MRL: +0 FTG: +11
Weather Condition: 82 degrees, raining
Notes: Team has passed through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. ISSUE: There is a slight smell of fuel in the cab. Team is feeling tired.

@Aaron.W:
BD: 149 mi OD: 557 mi FS: 1/2+ MRL: +0 FTG: +7
Notes: Team has refueled in Missoula, MT. Team is currently driving through a thunderstorm (cooler temps + rain is a bit of a relief). Team is starting to feel slightly fatigued.
Ongoing issue: AC compressor failure (irrepairable, comfort penalty)

@Keikyun:
BD: 154 mi OD: 574 mi FS: 1/4- MRL: +0 FTG: +4
Notes: Team has driven through a thunderstorm near Deer Lodge, MT. Team will be refueling near the beginning of next time block.

Vehicles that are traveling in packs:
598 mi - Torg, Keystone

Note: vehicles within ~5 miles of each other are within CB range. Group chats via social media are available.

Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks

Quartz Flats Rest Area, 8pm local time

“The hell do you make of this, Jim?” Wayne blurted as he scratched his head.

Jim finished slipping on the latex glove, knelt down, and gently lifted the leg of the deer carcass. “Don’t rightly know. I mean, it’s a white tail. But its an Idahoan, not a Northern.”

“Well just how the hell did it get out here?” Wayne pressed.

Jim shook his head. “I don’t know. I mean, it’s almost like it was carved up and dumped here. Smells of poachers, but why would they drag their waste all the way out here instead of dumping it where they butchered it?”

Wayne sniffed, and his lip curled in disgust. “We’re dealing with a psychopathic sicko, that’s what.”

Team Greasy Lightning

(Casagrande’s Steakhouse, Butte, MT)

Fuzz looked around the restaurant for the 10th time since they arrived. Jen rolled her eyes at him. “Will you quit it? They said they’d be here!”

“Yeah, I know. But they’re late,” he shot back.

“Only because you were playing leapfrog at warp speed with Team 49,” Rick muttered. He shook his head sadly. “Too bad about them. I was really looking forward to seeing their headlights behind us some more.”

Fuzz nodded in agreement. “Yeah, now I can’t punk them, either.” Both Jen and Rick glanced quizzically at him. “What? I brought a little something extra along just in case.”

Jen stammered for a moment. “You don’t mean… Project Brown? From our last trip?”

Fuzz chuckled. “Exactly that.”

A moment later, the waitress arrived with their food. A drunken ribeye for Fuzz, prime rib for Jen, and a petite fillet mignon for Rick. When the order was placed, it elicited a snicker and derogatory comment from Fuzz about Rick watching his figure. That, in turn, garnered a response from Jen in the form of stomping Fuzz’s foot under the table, as well as a rebuke from Rick about how his selection was both more sophisticated and expensive.

Rick paused for a moment, pondering whether it was right to dig in to food with the other half of the table empty, yet expected to show up.

Just at that moment, the trio from Pit Stop US arrived and took their seats opposite the Greasy Lightning crew.

“We were worried something had happened,” Jen chimed in. "We’re glad you’re here. Hope you don’t mind that we ordered already.

(@findRED19, your turn)

Most of you will have noticed a big jump in speeds after the cars reach Lookout Pass. This is because the speed limit is 10 MPH higher in Montana than WA or ID.

11 Likes

OOC.
SHIT. Thats a fuel leak.

1 Like

Team Tiger Trouble

Kaylie, Kayden, and Jaden left Jakers Bar and Grill hot on the tails of Team Trinity, the Sinistra’s wounded V8 rattling along behind them. Kaylie gripped the wheel, her teeth bared in concentration, looking like a feline (and female) version of Mad Max as she chased them.

Jaden shook his head and chuckled, before saying to Kayden, “The Huntress has found her prey.”

Kayden nodded, before grabbing Nova’s handheld. “Nova, what methods of communication are the teams using?”

Nova checked all available sources, before returning with, “I have discovered three main methods of communication. The first is physical, by showing up to the same location, whether planned or unplanned. The second is through the CB Radio, which I have been communicating with. The third is a social media page, locked down to contestants only.”

Kayden nodded, before saying, “I want access to that page, if possible.”

“Done. What screen would you like to read on?” Nova responded.

“Jaden, the big tablet. No, not yours, mine.” Kayden growled out. Jaden passed Kayden the nearly 18-inch tablet, then moved to read along with Kayden.

“Twin Suns, how do they read this?” Kayden growled out. “It’s like they write out everything the wrong way up the page.”

“The humans write English from left to right, and top to bottom. We write Tigrilan from left to right, and bottom to top. I can adjust this digital format to read in Tigrilan style, if you approve.”

“Do it, Nova, before I get a headache from trying to read like this.”

Jaden noticed Kayden’s look of discomfort as they approached Deer Lodge, MT, heading into the thunderstorm. While Kayden was busy with his reading tablet, and Kaylie was concentrating on driving, Jaden reached between the driver’s seat and the door, and pressed the window lock switch. “Kayden, the handheld, so I can keep up as well.” Jaden said, and tried to hide his smile as Kayden handed over Nova’s handheld unit.

Kaylie hit a relatively small bump, but it was just enough. Jaden got on the radio, asking,

(CB) “How are you liking this weather we are having? We are doing well en-” FFFRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRPPPP!

With the CB still transmitting, Kaylie yelled out, “Kayden! By the Twin Suns, that is horrible!” The sound of a window switch clicking could be heard clearly, and Kaylie growled out, “Why is this not working?” Nova responded with, “Because Jaden pushed the window lock switch.”

Despite the fouled air, Jaden was laughing quite hard, and in the process, unleashed his own cloud of gas, which prompted Kaylie to start pushing every button on the driver’s side door cluster. Eventually, she found the lock switch, and all four windows went down, despite the thunderstorm outside. Kayden, who had been getting a self-education on English swear words, growled out, “Fuck you, Jade.”

Only then did Jaden release the transmit button, and he followed it up with, “Nova, I know you record all audio transmissions. Post the audio on the Once More media page, in a format compatible with most of the devices used by our fellow competitors.”

“Uploading… Complete.”

Kayden shook his head, then said, “You know, Jade, she might actually kill you this time. You knew just how bad the gas would be, and you trapped her with it.”

“I doubt she would actually kill me. Wound me, maybe, but I am the older brother, it is my duty to bother both of you. I do not get many chances to annoy you, so annoying Kaylie is my best option.”

5 Likes