One Last Hurrah [FINAL RESULTS]

Team Marx

Lenin: Well, it’s race day. you get the snacks and spares stocked up?

Marx: as well as I could with our space and budget.

Lenin: yeah. it’s also cold being here in Quebec.

Marx: you’re from Rissia, you should be used to it from Siberia.

Lenin: I’m fine with it, but you’re german, I’d worry more about your temperature levels.

Marx: it doesn’t matter as long as the car doesn’t run hot.

Lenin: I suppose that’s true. anyway, we’re coming up on the starting line.

6 Likes

Team Scandalnavians

Cap Tormente National Wildlife Reserve, 11.30pm, -18 C

Near the tent in corner of parking lot, campfire lit and a freshly killed canada goose roasting over the coals in the smoldering end.

B: “Quite nice spot to start this adventure, isn’t it? Beautiful weather, even prettier scenery, car that somewhat works and quite comfortable temperature. Reminds me of that trip on Hardangervidda a couple of years ago”

R: “Indeed the views are really something, and the temperature at least made sure the ice was safe, though it did look rather thin at some places. Wonder if someone will notice that our tracks come from the waterfront and not the road tomorrow morning”

B: " They did look rather funnily at us when we drove onto the St Lawrence Bay at Grève Joliette, didn’t they? But it was the only way to avoid traffic and also the shortest route, that’s a win win. And with the hydraulic handbrake in place we could have some fun on the way. Besides, the car is so light I was never really worried about going through. With the time left I even had time to find us some proper food"

Børre points at the goose roasting and smelling rather delicious.

R: “Fair point, even though I know you are not supposed to hunt in a wildlife reserve off season I am not complaining. Look forward to seeing what our fellow adventurers brought to take on this trip. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow”

Råger takes the goose off the roast and splits it in half before they dig in.

4 Likes

TEAM OUTRIDERS

Arriving at Cap Tormente National Wildlife Reserve, 5:15 PM.

Luigi: Man, it’s cold out there.

Blake: Good thing these old big blocks have no trouble keeping warm.

Marc: I’m not so sure about shutting the car off.

Blake: Relax, the battery is mostly new. And if not, we’ve got a set of jumper cables in the trunk. I figure anyone has trouble starting we should lend a hand.

Zach: Kill em with kindness?

Blake: It’s the Christian thing to do.

Marc: Cough.

Luigi: Don’t tell me kindness isn’t allowed in the Lunatic Religion.

Marc: Of course it is. How else do you think I manage to tolerate your foreign ass?

Luigi: No testosterone? Would explain the ED. Don’t worry, I’ll help you out. Zach, you’re not dating anybody, you can satisfy his wife for him.

Zach: No thanks, I’m not gonna cross a Jew with a gun.

Luigi: No, it’s cool. We’re in Canada, he had to leave it behind.

Marc: Until we cross the border. Then we meet up with Bonnie and I grab it.

Zach: Your wife is gonna bring you your gun once we get back in the US?

Blake: There’s a devoted wife. Okay, we’re here. Is everyone’s phone charged?

Luigi: Yup.

Marc: For the most part.

Zach: About 75%

Blake: Okay, We’re not gonna use the inverter or anything electrical once we’re stopped. The battery tested good before we left, but I don’t want to take any chances.

(The Enforcer comes to a halt, the men get out and set up camp.)

Zach: I’m cold, when’s that fire gonna be ready?

Luigi: Working on it.

Marc: Walk around, stamp your feet. Help keep you warm. Five winters walking the beat, I know a thing or two about dealing with the cold.

Blake: I wish we had some dry kindling with us, I didn’t think about that.

Marc: We’ll just have to make some and dry it out in the car.

Blake: Okay, it’s starting to catch now. Luigi, get the propane stove. Let’s get some coffee started.

Luigi: On it. (rummages through the trunk) Hey, there’s a second battery in here! Why didn’t you say anything?

Blake: So we wouldn’t take it for granted. While you’re in there, take that ice scraper out. I’ll put it in the tent.

Luigi: Got it, coffee will be ready in fifteen minutes. You guys want leaded or unleaded?

Blake: It’s gonna be a cold night, leaded.

Marc: Leaded.

Zach: Leaded?

Blake: Do you want alcohol in it?

Zach: Oh, leaded then.

Luigi: Right. (Grabs the bottle of Baileys out of the cooler and leaves the half and half in)

(Fifteen minutes pass, the fire is going and the men are seated around with coffee)

Blake: Looks like a couple other teams are camping here too.

Marc: We might want to make more coffee in case anyone else wants some.

Luigi: Fine but we ration the booze.

Blake: Fair enough.

6 Likes

Team X/2000: Gathering with the other cars

After checking out from the hotel last night and wearing their winter clothes, they were now ready for the harshness of Canada.

*on the road*

Iman: Are we there yet?
Karmenn: It seems like there are a couple of cars, this might be it.
turns right and parks in an empty spot
Karmenn switches off engine
Karmenn: Well this is it.

As they step out of the car, Iman wonders in amazement how many cars so unfamiliar from him.Karmenn too is also in amaze as there a wide variety of cars, from pickups to sporty coupes.

Karmenn: Are you ready, Iman?
Iman: Ready? I was born ready!
Karmenn: Well then, lets rip open a pair (of chips).It is in the trunk BTW.
Iman: Ok dad.Also, I will be getting my Mp3.

While Iman was opening the trunk, Karmenn unleashed his box of cassette which was placed on the backseat. They are now on an euphoria trip (not literally) while they are awaiting go time.

Status

Karmenn's feelings : Relaxed

What Karmenn is listening to: Men At Work - Who Can It Be Now?

Iman’s feelings : Excited
What Iman is listening to: Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

Car condition : Everything working fine, clutch gives off weird chatter.

6 Likes

Team Harcourt-Entwhistle arrive at the start point

Mopey: SPANNNERS!!! Look over there!

Spanners: Huh? Where?

Mopey points at a brown pickup……or more importantly 2 of the crew members….

Spanners: Aaaaaw shit!

Gran: DAVID! Mind your language!

Spanners: Sorry Mrs E but look over there.

Gran: A brown monstrous pickup truck. What about it?

Spanners: It’s not the truck….it’s 2 of the guys standing next to it.

Gran: Oh, do you know them?

Spanners: Sort of….you remember the car that fired a firework at us….then threw a nappy at us….and then cough “lost” their wheel nuts….and then the numpty that attacked us?

Gran: Erm…yes….what about it?

Spanners: Well standing over by that pickup are 2 of the occupants of that car. I can’t see the numpty though. I’m going over there to speak to them!

Spanners walks over to Team Vandals to clear the air……

Mopey: Gran….

Gran: Yes George?

Mopey: Spanners doesn’t look like he’s wandering over for a friendly chat……I think we’re going to be a duo team driving this……

Gran: Oh dear. You don’t think…….

Mopey: I hope not……

Spanners: Guys! I’d say it’s good to see you again but then after our last meeting……. How about a clean slate and a clean race?

Spanners will stay and chat depending on how he gets received……

Over to @Madrias

8 Likes

Team V6 Vandals - Day 0 Arrival

(OOC Note before starting: 3 of the 4 members of the V6 Vandals are inside a building with Otis and Jake of Team Redneck, and Ana and Alejandro of Team Shitbox Brothers. As such, we’ll continue from Luke’s point of view.)

Luke watched as Spanners from Team Harcourt-Entwhistle walked over to the Truckling, just after Amy, Jake, and Cody had headed indoors.

“Guys! I’d say it’s good to see you again, but then after our last meeting… How about a clean slate and a clean race?” Spanners said.

“I don’t know what you’re implying, but I race clean.” Luke said. “As for the others in my team, while I can’t speak for them, I’m sure they’ll agree on clean racing. Now, I have to give fair warning, if you’re over here to get ‘revenge’ for something either Trevor or Marcus did, drop it. They’re not here, and I can make your life all sorts of miserable if you try anything on me.”

After a few seconds of letting his words sink in, Luke then extended an invitation. “I know it’s cold out here, and you’ll need heat. The other three are in that building over there, though they’re, given the fact that I just got butt-dialed again, more than just lightly drunk. But I can get the cab of the Truckling warm enough to keep off the chill. Might be a better place for us to talk, anyway, so I can get up to speed with both sides of this story, because I heard about the fight, but I have a feeling some details were… intentionally omitted.”

(And back to you, @Jaimz)

7 Likes

Spanners climbs into the truck with Luke…

Spanners: Thanks for talking. Here is my side and is the complete truth. We ran into your colleagues on road. They fired a firework at us as they drove past and then through a gunky nappy at the windscreen…peanut butter I believe.

The police weren’t interested in doing anything.

We drove past the campsite and stopped.

I decided to prank them back… it was a dark eerie night…well dark and I saw their Dynamite…my original intention was to jack the car up, remove all of the wheels, stack them on top of the car…throw the wheelnuts away and steal the jack.

Instead I stole all but 1 wheelnut from each wheel…the final wheelnut was loosened. They wouldn’t have got over 10mph with them like that. So nump…Marcus’ claim that I tried to kill them is bollocks.

They eventually caught up with us in Baker County, Marcus steered into our van and came at us. I defended myself but still spent 48 hours in a cell.

I just want a clean race this time, no monkey business and no aggro.

I’m sure you can understand. So can we agree and I’ll buy you a pint…Castrol?

@Madrias - Over to Luke. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

V6 Vandals - Day 0 - The Confrontation

Luke nodded as he listened to Spanners’ side of the story.

“You see, I like the honesty. I heard about the firework and the diaper, but no one told me they were used on the same car, let alone in the same pass. As I said before, I had a feeling that someone was obscuring information. At least you’re honest about the fact that you did take the wheel nuts.” Luke said.

“Not, perhaps, the nicest of things to do, but then again, neither is scaring an elderly lady with a firework, or throwing things at the windshield. As for the police not doing anything, I’ve found that to be a common theme. Wasn’t until things got serious that they turned up to deal with the problem, and they decided to just deal with the problem as fast as they could, rather than doing the right thing, discovering who did what and why, and then arresting only the guilty party. Still, justice was served in the end. You got 48 hours to think over your life choices, but Marcus got two counts of felony hit and run, and assault with a deadly weapon.” Luke was watching Mopey and Gran park the wagon as he spoke, more out of needing something to do than anything else.

“I just want a clean race this time, no monkey business and no aggro. I’m sure you can understand. So can we agree and I’ll buy you a pint… Castrol?” Spanners said.

“You’ll get a clean race. Closest thing I might do to ‘monkey business’ is honking the horn at you as we drive by. And you only have to worry about aggression if you do something to us first, and by the sound of it, that’s unlikely. As for an equivalent drink… I’ll take it in coolant, 50/50 pre-mix. Any other fluids I use just end up too expensive.” Luke replied.

(@Jaimz - Back to you if you need to.)

5 Likes

I don’t know how many of you know this already, but at the temperatures our groups are at a lot of windshield washer fluid will freeze. I know this, but forgot until they got to Quebec. Its not an issue if the roads are dry, but if they are slightly wet you will get a lot of road gunk on the windshield that quickly dries and smears making it damn near impossible to see the road. Yes I had it happen to me in Colorado, the windshield washer tank was in the fender so it wouldn’t thaw by engine heat. We had to stop and park the car with that fender in the sun to thaw it out, then used the windshield washer to pump out the tank so we could put the proper low temperature fluid in.

@VicVictory How I am playing it is my guys forgot since I forgot until they were in Quebec. If its dry no big deal, but if the roads are wet they will have to pull into a gas station to get the proper stuff and thaw out the reservoir with a propane torch they have which will delay them some.

4 Likes

Team Redneck day 0

Jake and Otis are in with the Vandals and the Shitbox Brothers drinking and talking. When the Vandals mention that the Turd Truck (Truckling) is front wheel drive Jake busts out laughing, and Otis was mid drink and starts choking on his beer and winds up with foam coming out his nose.

Otis, “Fuck that stings”, after gaining some composure, and cleans up some of the mess “Say that again, a front wheel drive truck!?!?!”

After the Vandals confirm that the turd is indeed front wheel drive

Jake still laughing comments, “I doubt that would be able to pull a single axle utility trailer up Bobs driveway without a running start”

6 Likes

@Zabhawkin - that part goes to trail experience. :slight_smile: And it’s more than just washer fluid.

2 Likes

@VicVictory lol cool. A personal experience at -17f, aparrently 90w gear oil gets pretty thick, stalled a manual in neutral by letting the clutch out.

1 Like

Legend of Terms:

NOTE: Every team’s block information has changed significantly! There will be more info than previously, partly due to the expected spread of distance between entrants.

POI NOTE: I will NOT be pre-warning of upcoming POI points. I will ONLY auto-stop teams for two things: fuel and, when completely exhausted, rest. Anything else you want (including tourist POI, restaurants, premature fuel, rest at any point before complete exhaustion), YOU need to PM me in advance (before I run the time block that you’d complete it in). Also, please don’t map out everything from here to the end in one PM… try to keep it within a couple time blocks.

BD: Block Distance. This is the amount of mileage covered during the current 2 hour period.
OD: Overall Distance. This is the total distance that the team has covered since the event started.
AT: Ambient Temperature
FS: Fuel Status. Approximate fuel reading. May also include other fuel related concerns.
MRL: Morale modifier
FTG: Fatigue Level
Last Town: Last town of note that was passed (will not include tiny villages)
Next Waypoint: Should be self explanatory.
Notes: Any notes I have for your team during this time block. Including POI results, car issues, etc.

Thursday, 10AM - 12PM

VicVictory:
BD: 68 mi OD: 68 mi AT: 4 F FS: 3/4 MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)
Notes: Waypoint completed: Museum of Civilization.

@Madrias
BD: 33 mi OD: 33 mi AT: 4 F FS: Full MRL: -1 FTG: +2 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)
Notes: Waypoint completed: Museum of Civilization. Truck had unexpectedly poor handling at the start. Team has determined that there is a manufacturing defect in one of the front tires, causing it to harden badly in the cold and lose traction prematurely. At this time, the spare is currently on the vehicle.

@Mr.Computah
BD: 67 mi OD: 67 mi AT: 4 F FS: 3/4 MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)

@Jaimz
BD: 68 mi OD: 68 mi AT: 4 F FS: Full MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)
Notes: Waypoint completed: Museum of Civilization. Also, please read the bit on POI at the beginning of this time block, since it will affect you the most.

@Awildgermanappears
BD: 67 mi OD: 67 mi AT: 4 F FS: 3/4 MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)

@BobLoblaw
BD: 65 mi OD: 65 mi AT: 4 F FS: 3/4 MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)

@Zabhawkin
BD: 67 mi OD: 67 mi AT: 4 F FS: Just under full MRL: +0 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)
Notes: Waypoint completed: Museum of Civilization. Heater is weak; team has to periodically wipe the windshield with a cloth, and the interior is getting up to about 54 degrees even at full blast.

@HighOctaneLove
BD: 70 mi OD: 70 mi AT: 4 F FS: 3/4 MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)

@Fayeding_Spray
BD: 54 mi OD: 54 mi AT: 4 F FS: 3/4 MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)
Notes: Waypoint completed: Museum of Civilization. This vehicle is poorly suited to the conditions.

@DoctorNarfy
BD: 68 mi OD: 68 mi AT: 4 F FS: 3/4 MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)

@FindRED19
BD: 56 mi OD: 56 mi AT: 4 F FS: 3/4 MRL: +0 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)
Notes: Waypoint completed: Museum of Civilization. This vehicle is poorly suited for the conditions. INCIDENT: Team slid through a curve near the exit of Cap Tourmente Nat’l Park and hit a tree (gently). Superficial front end damage sustained.

@Puffster
BD: 42 mi OD: 42 mi AT: 4 F FS: Full MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)
Notes: Waypoint completed: Museum of Civilization. Extreme turbo lag is both a boon and a hindrance under the current circumstances.

@stm316
BD: 45 mi OD: 45 mi AT: 4 F FS: Full MRL: +0 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)
Notes: Waypoint completed: Museum of Civilization. Car is poorly suited to the conditions.

@yurimacs
BD: 39 mi OD: 39 mi AT: 4 F FS: Full MRL: +0 FTG: +2 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)
Notes: Waypoint completed: Museum of Civilization. Car is poorly suited to the conditions, team has to be VERY cautious to keep it out of its power band, and has spun out several times on frost and ice patches.

@Mythrin
BD: 43 mi OD: 43 mi AT: 4 F FS: Full MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)

@abg7
BD: 65 mi OD: 65 mi AT: 4 F FS: 3/4 MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)

@Nicholander

@LordLetto
BD: 43 mi OD: 43 mi AT: 4 F FS: Full MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)

@cpufreak101
BD: 68 mi OD: 68 mi AT: 4 F FS: 2/3 MRL: +1 FTG: +0 Last Town: Quebec City, QC Next Waypoint: Mount Royal Chalet (Montreal, QC)

Vehicles that are traveling in packs:
68 miles - Communitasia, Erin, FM, Townsend
67 miles - Contendiente, Jager, DMA, Takemi
43 miles - Letto, Ceder

Team Moss Boss

“Sweet mother of mercy,” Hank gasped as yet another breathtaking view unfolded before them. “Now I know why you wanted to run this thing.”

“I had no idea it would be like this. I just thought it would be a fun, weird thing to do,” Kyle responded.

Hank snapped a few pictures of Quebec City and the frozen Saint Lawrence River on his cell phone. “Should have brought my actual camera. This piece of shit won’t do the view any justice.”

The road curved slightly to the right, and their view changed to that of the dingy back end of Team Entwhistle-Harcourt’s FM wagon. The grandmother-grandson duo with third wheel mechanic had been ahead of them since Cap Tourmente, with their ownTownsend truck, the Communitasia off-road wagon, and the Erin Merna rounding out a small wolf pack.

They headed in to town, seeking the first waypoint on the list. It would be the Museum of Civilization in Quebec City. After that, and eclectic mix followed. Montreal. Kingston. Sudbury. Northern Minnesota. Minneapolis. Des Moines. St Louis. Nashville. Vicksburg. And the finish line would be Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

Hank dug his phone out of his pocket and brought up the weather app, refreshing the hourly report. It had looked decent this morning, but a welcome change came with the update.

Hank picked up the handset for their CB radio. “Hey, everyone. Moss Boss here. Got a weather update for you.”

“Go for it,” came the reply from one of the Spanish brothers from the Contendiente.

“Looks like the warm front is coming in faster than expected. Looks like it’s going to warm up sooner than expected. If we’re lucky, we might even see temperatures above freezing once we get into South Ontario.”

“Looking forward to it.” Hank wasn’t quite sure, but he believed the response to have come from Team Redneck.

Hank placed the handset back on the hook.

“Almost to the first point,” Kyle remarked, glancing at his cell phone, which had been mounted to the dash and converted to a GPS navigation device.

Hank nodded. “Looking good. Keep it up.”

7 Likes

V6 Vandals - Day 0 - Final Pre-Race Segment

“God damn, Luke! Ever heard of throttle control!? You’re spinning the tires more than you’re driving.” Amy said, after the fourth intersection they’d passed where Luke’s heavy right foot had lit the passenger side front tire up.

“Something’s not right. It didn’t spin that badly on the way here. Temperature’s lower than it was yesterday, though.” Luke responded. “Let’s pull off to the side, put the spare on there. If it keeps doing it, we know it’s the car, not the tires.”

A quick pit-stop later (well, as quick as Luke could manage with a rusty tire iron and cars zipping by), and the full-size spare was installed. Luke got back behind the wheel and rolled into the power, only for the truck to actually respond this time and not just burn rubber.

“Bad tire. We’ll have to stop somewhere and get a new tire on that rim before too long.” Luke said.

“The fuck causes that?!” Jake said from the back seat.

“Manufacturing problem. Much more common on cheap road tires than anything else, and knowing Trev, he probably put the cheapest eco tires he could salvage on this thing when he sold it. I knew I shoulda pushed to get that Ishu Myriad.” Cody said.

“Yeah, and then we’d be spinning all over the place because those things are the very definition of ‘ass heavy’ cars.” Amy said.

“So, we’re in last place, right?” Luke asked.

“Yeah. But to be fair, I think we’re the only ones that had to stop to solve an immediate problem.” Jake said. “And we’re good on gas, I think, for a little while more.”

“Plus, if we really have to, we can always open the throttle more, do a little speeding.” Cody added.

Morale: -1
Bad tires are not good for morale.

Fatigue: +2
Changing tires on the side of the road sucks!

Waypoints: 1
We didn’t break down on the starting line!

(Edit: As multiple teams have a CB radio, it’s only fair to give the warning that Luke’s onboard radio runs on the hot side. Luke needs to calibrate it to CB specifications, but isn’t likely to do so until after he gets told that he’s way over the power limit. The Vandals do have a standard CB in the Truckling, but Luke won’t use it.)

7 Likes

Spanners shakes Luke’s hand and wishes him well for the journey before getting out of the pickup…

Mopey: No bruises….no arrests……what happened?

Spanners: We had a chat. Numpty was done for a whole range of offenses. The new guy’s fine and we won’t be having any shenanigans from them. We ready to go?

Gran: Well that’s good news. Is everything OK with the car?

Spanners: Yeah, found a garage that let me use a ramp for free….although I did spend an hour helping with a couple of jobs. Also got some free additives to help more with cold protection. Mechanic was impressed with the HiWay until I told him about the broken cruise control…… Anyway, first stop is Museum of Civilisation.

Gran: Oh, I am getting excited about this trip.

After museum

Gran: Well that was educational.

Mopey: (glumly) If you say so gran.

Spanners: Well I wouldn’t get your hopes up about the Chalet, according to this pamphlet it’s a building with a nice view. Laughs

Team moral: 1

Fatigue: 0

Notes: Everything is moving along smoothly. Team happy to be on the road. Mopey less happy to be looking at “culture”.

7 Likes

Team X/2000

The duo expected the better of starts even when its snowing.They got the EXACT opposite.

Karmenn steering left and right to try and make it go straight at speed limit

Iman: * moves from the steering left and right * Ow! Dad, can you at least not make the steering aggressive?

Karmenn: I cant! We are behind schedule and probably left behind by the others but I think we passed by a truck which seems like a problem with their tyres.

Iman: But ours is a more immediate and severe problem! First, we got a 292 hp REAR WHEEL DRIVE monster to control. Second, we havent fitted the snow chains yet (we even spun out exiting the parking lot earlier).

Karmenn: Please BE QUIET! I am trying to control the damn car!

*car spins out,narrowly near missing a barrier *

Iman: . . . . . . . .

Karmenn: . . . . . . . . . * sighs * I will just have to short shift to see if we can actually make steady progess, it is better to make steady increase than rushing it.

Iman: If you say so. . . . .

Karmenn: Oh by the way, let me just change one of the cassettes

Morale: +0 ( Just a little argument taking place, don't mind)

Fatigue : +2 ( you know that driving what basically feels like a 80’s rally car in the snow is hard)

Karmenn’s feelings : Stressed and Focused
What Karmenn is listening to:Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

Iman’s feelings: Worried
What Iman is listening to: same with Karmenn

6 Likes

Team Thunder Taxi, Part 1

En route to Montreal, Quebec

As the RG4 left Quebec City, Jack was feeling relaxed and soon settled into a steady pace.

“This thing is running all-season tires. I wonder if this is the right decision?”

Chris’ response was: “It is - for now. A few of our rivals’ cars are not quite as suited to these conditions as ours and are struggling to cope. One of them even hit a wall, but managed to drive on. We need to be cautious until conditions improve.”

Bob couldn’t help but agree. “You are absolutely right; it’s so early in spring that the snow hasn’t completely melted yet.”

Vince, meanwhile, was meticulously scanning a physical map with the hope of finding points of interest. “Sit tight, boys. I’ll remind you of any interesting places you may be visiting; however, it’s up to you as to whether or not you actually decide to stop there for a while.”

And so Team Thunder Taxi headed south to Montreal, braving the frigid temperatures and slippery roads as they began their quest.

4 Likes

Pit Stop US - Part 1

The team is seen leaving a hotel all bundled up. Charles seems rather cheerful, while Nathan and James are somewhat indifferent due to the weather.

Nathan, into the camera: “Well, here we are at the start of the roadtrip. It’s four degrees out and we’re in Canada. …Why did it have to start in canada?..”
James: “Well, let’s see if she starts for us.”
Nathan: “This one’s on you, Charles, if it doesn’t.”
Charles: “Oh, don’t be such a pessimist.”

The car is sitting with the hood up, air cleaner off the carb as James adjusts the manual choke. Charles turns the key… The starter turns over, faster than expected in the cold weather, and keeps turning… A cough, wheeze, more coughing and the engine finally catches in a cloud of smoke. It’s running slightly rough due to the cold.

Nathan to camera: “Whooo! It lives! Now just don’t ever turn it off and we should be alright.”
James to Nathan: “You did put fresh 50/50 mix in the radiator, right?”
Nathan: “Of course. I also threw two of the good windshield scrapers in the back along with some jugs of windshield wiper fluid.”
James: “Oh, good! Then we should be good to go once the carb warms up.”

They all get in the wagon, Charles in the driver’s seat, ready to drive to the start of their journey.

“Whooo-hooo!” cries Charles, as they do doughnuts in the snowy parking lot before they leave. James and Nathan are starting to warm up to Charles’ “fun car”.

[Section about seeing other teams’ cars tldr: The Pit Stop crew took a good look.]

The beginning of the race (near Cap Tourmente National Park?) The team made it to the start in time, and are excited to get going

Charles: “Well, here we are! And here we go!” With the excitement of the journey ahead of them, Charles gets a little too aggressive leaving Cap Tournmente. The car first starts plowing forward in a corner, then with a heavy foot Charles over corrects and sends the car spinning into a snow bank, lightly kissing a tree with the front right fender.

Nathan: “Ow! Would you please…”
“… Be more careful!” finishes James.
Charles: “Oo,” he gets out of the car, engine still running, “I don’t think I hurt it too much.” He’s still riding the excitement rush of the start, and now his adrenaline is adding to that.
The other two get out to take a gander at the damage.

James: “Well, looks like just a dent.”
Nathan: “Than we should be ok, right?” Rubs his head lightly.
James: “Hey Charles, you think you could back it up onto the road.”
Charles: “Uh, I’ll try. Sure it will!”

Miraculously, the car is not stuck and they are able to get it back onto the road without further incident.

The Pit Stop team gets to the waypoint, the Museum of Civilization, and leaves the parking lot the same way they left the hotel’s, with doughnuts.

Miles: 56 (+56)
Fuel 3/4 Tank
MR: 0 (+0)
FT: 0 (+0)

6 Likes

Team Shitbox Brothers - Start of the race.

Day 0: Rendezvous.

(You know the drill, any dialogue said by Ana or Alejandro, read it in a thick Spanish accent).

Ana steers the car, making sure it doesn’t slide too much on the ice, as they navigate their way through the first few kilometres of the race.

Alejandro: Nice start there!

Ana: Yeah, I can definitely see why you swapped the engine. Now this is power…and reliable power!

Ana shifts into fourth gear.

Alejandro: Doesn’t look like our pace is ba- wait, are these the Vandals and that granny’s team from last time?

Ana: Must’ve broken down or something. Already being helped. Only stop if nobody’s helping the broken down team, remember.

Alejandro: Right, that was the plan, yes. Anyway, this thing pulls, and pulls! Surprised with it. Definitely worth swapping into the car. By the way, I brought a whole new list of synths. High speed themed this time, let me play one.

Alejandro browsed through the playlist, looking for this one. Ana then took a quick glance at the rear view mirror, just an “oh no” barely escaping her lips.

Alejandro: What’s wrong? Oh crap, the Jager is on our tail.

Ana: That so? Let’s see if they can keep the pace up then.

Ana pressed the gas slightly, carefully, just to give it that extra power to get the Jager out of the line of sight. The throttle bodies roared as the Enemigo was pushed towards Montreal.

Morale: +1 (here we go!)
Fatigue: 0 (we have just started)

@Awildgermanappears it’s on you.

6 Likes

@Mr.Computah

Team Two Mothertrucking Idiots

Music

“Credit where credit is due, this engine does not want to die. It actually has been more reliable after being converted into a five cylinder.”

[In thick russian accent] “SNORE

“Already?.. OI WAKE UP!” -slaps face-

[In thick russian accent] “Blyat what time is it”

“Time to test out our amazing floppy disc satnav you lazy Gopnik”

[In thick russian accent] “Oh yeah this is going to be brilliant, just let me find the right disc”

-grabs stack of floppy discs-

[In thick russian accent] “This is going to take years, we’ll need to change discs like four times just to get to the next waypoint… but it’ll be worth it anyway, maybe some of the roads are still the same as they were 27 years ago.

FOUND IT!”

“Only took you four minutes”

[In thick russian accent] “It’ll take a lot longer to process the route”

“Word”

-a few minutes later-

[In thick russian accent] “By all things holy it still works!?! How and Why? I thought the Nav satellite burned up on reentry back in 2009?”

“I believe there still is a backup in space”

[In thick russian accent] “Cyka blyat with this we’re unstoppable, factory satnav in a '91 Jager. No matter what happens next we have won regardless.”

“If the car stays in one piece”

[In thick russian accent] “Legend has it a Jager will run like shit earlier than most cars, but once it runs like shit it’ll run like shit far longer than most cars run at all”

“I want to believe, then again we’re doing quite well atm, not that far off the leaders”

[In thick russian accent] “I spy some of our competitors in the distance, get closer so we can use drafting to conserve fuel”

"I thought this car had full time cylinder deactivation?

[In thick russian accent] “Man Jager were ahead of their time with this one”

“'Murica.

Hey that looks like the brown truck thing has had a puncture?”

[In thick russian accent] “Suckers. Should’ve brought a better car. At least Los Tapas Loco seem to be running well, now get drafting.”

“Seems like they’re accelerating. Must be scared of our 4000lb Yolo missile in their rear view mirror. Should I keep on tailing?”

[In thick russian accent] “Nah, the trans won’t kick down into third. Plus it’ll waste our fuel. Just let them waste theirs.”

“That seems reasonable”

Morale: +1 (working early 1990s Satnav)

7 Likes