[PDC] Political Design Challenge Round 14: Lights, Camera, Action! (The movie premiere is here - i.e. final results are posted)

2010 Régal VT30 TREK

While not the most striking, this very versatile TREK version of the VT30 offers AWD and offroad suspensions and is comfortable both on and off the beaten track. It has enough power with a 6.55 sec 0-100 and 240 kph limited speed thanks to it’s straight six 3.0L E-BOOST turbo developing 280hp. The engine is so smooth that you will never hear or even feel it, and is made to survive a beating.

This crossover in silver champagne looks plain but is dependable and very low maintenance. It’s 5.7 L/100KM fuel economy is good news for anyone with a wallet. The raised stance and progressive spring, with multi-link rear, makes this comfortable over any surface, and can carry quite of a bit knickknacks thanks to it’s humongous boot.

Your plain and boring uncle living in a rural, unasphalted area, can get his hand on this okay car for only $40,900.

Gallery

3 Likes

verge-removebg-preview

Introducing the Edison Verge Sportcross, a ruggedized version of the Verge compact crossover, previously introduced in 2007. This specific model has the 3.6L V6 making 278hp/236lb-ft of torque, all-wheel drive and a 6-speed automatic. It’s finished in Opal Green Metallic with Grey Dynatex interior, and has an MSRP of $44,400.

Gallery

4 Likes

Do you know what “Verge” means in French ? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2010 Archana Motor King Super

$15k of fine Archana supercar
Come buy today
Low price, nice car
SALE!!! Free 4oz vodka included with purchase

3 Likes

The 2010 Mercas-Boretti 402c is a crossover with a throbbing, pulsing V8 heart, AWD, and a pretty nice interior. It can do 0-60 in just over 6 seconds, has a top speed of just under 160mph, and gets 25mpg on top of all of that. Plus, it only costs $37,500- meaning you can buy 12 of them! Think of all the cool things you could do with the two extra cars! You could host a two vehicle demolition derby! You could drive over them with a tank! I mean, none of that is practical, but it would definitely be fun. It’s a car, it has four seats and it drives. Not a lot else to say, to be honest.

6 Likes

Submissions are now closed!

Results coming up soon

Pre-selection

Somewhere in Krongrad

Komrade! Welcome. What brings you to my office? – said the young man, as he appraised the government official standing in front of his desk.

Filming has been delayed once again due to mechanical issues. The government cannot tolerate such delays. We need new vehicles for filming. So here I am.

The young man put on an innocent face. I’m not sure how I can help? - he said.

The government official’s voice raised a little, and his face took on a stern frown: Don’t be coy with me! We all know you have been involved with procuring vehicles for the elite. You can get cars from anywhere in the world. This is a government order. Just get it done! You have two weeks to bring us viable proposals. I’m expecting a stack of car files on my desk.

Do not delay! – the official shouted as he exited the room.

With that order, the young man immediately picked up the phone and dialed his contacts. Two weeks later he had 11 proposals to present – 2 coupes, 3 wagons, 3 SUVs, 1 truck, and 2 vans. The young man included his appraisal of all 11, and gave his recommendation for which car should be procured by the State Studio…

Reviews part one

Арчана Мотор король Супер

@HelloHi

Dear Komrades, I will be honest. I am only including this car to pad the list with another Archanan car, and… it is not good. It is a real oddball and I am not even sure how the engineers came up with this idea to take a “super”-car and make it into an offroader. It’s almost like a failed dune buggy, but without the “buggy” part. In any case, the car does have some strengths that we must consider. Some highlights include a stellar reliability – both the engine and car show remarkable resistance to breaking down. This may seem hard to believe, but it might be true that if there is nothing to break, then nothing will in fact break. The engine is rather simple and under-powered for a medium-sized V6, but is cheap to maintain. Fuel economy is mediocre however, and why does it use 85 octane? Nobody knows. Overall running costs are one of the worst in the pack due to the fact that it only has two seats (the only two-seater in the lineup), meaning that half the crew will have to be working remotely. This is a shame, because otherwise running costs would be very acceptable. Two other highlights are its offroad capabilities, second to none surprisingly, and its upfront costs. We could buy 30 of these! But would it be worth it? The negatives include a spartan interior giving it the absolutely worst comfort of all. It is one of the loudest cars in the list, so it would not be very suitable for natural audio recording during scenes. Environmental resitance is also by far the worst of the pack. It seems that we haven’t figured out how to prevent our steel from rusting in Archana, so even though we’d have 30 cars, they’d all rust away in no-time. The biggest offender of all though, is the car’s abysmal drivability. Perhaps due to the questionable ladder chassis, the offroad oriented suspension and drivetrain, the lack of adequate power steering, it all adds up to being the absolutely worst to drive. We cannot have that. So overall, I cannot recommend this car.

STAG Raider Civil

@Mikonp7

Next up we have a Gasmean dune buggy with four seats, built for the Dalluhan desert. This “car” I only included as a wildcard, to see if it’ll be suitable. It seems an interesting prospect at first: it has really good overall reliability, is fast on its feet with class-leading sportiness, has decent environmental resistance, and upfront costs are reasonable (we could buy 13 of these). It is however powered by a large V8 with ancient technology (OHV?!), leading to by far the worst service costs and poor fuel economy – overall running costs are bottom three. Surprisingly for a buggy, off-road capabilities seem average at best, and drivability is also near the bottom of the pile – only “surpassed” by the Archanan Super-Offroader mentioned above. Oh, and comfort is, understandably, quite poor as well. Komrades, I think this buggy would be a lot of fun to own and looks really cool (I apologize for the Gasmeanism, I got excited for a second), but it doesn’t seem suitable as a well-rounded camera-car.

MAPCO G330 Cab 63-Option

@Th3maldonado

With the two coupes out of the way, let’s take a look at the only Truck in this line-up. Komrades, this Gasmean truck is quintessential Gasmean. Well, with the exception of the suspension – double wishbone fronts and solid axle coils don’t exactly scream Gasmean truck. A large V8 with a slightly outdated OHC2 top is mated to a true off-roading drivetrain, which is. The main highlight of this truck is its stellar environmental resistance, which is not only second to none, but stands head and shoulders above the competition. It looks like when they want to, Gasmea can indeed treat their steel very well. This truck is also among the sportiest in the line-up, even though acceleration is only mediocre. It is also the third quietest of all vehicles, which is certainly very welcome to see after the two loudest reviewed so far. Upfront costs are also very good – we could buy 14 of these – the second most units after the король Супер. So then why would I not recommend this one? It has the worst reliability of all, service costs are pretty high and fuel economy is the worst of the line-up, resulting in the worst overall running costs for this truck. Drivability and comfort are also bottom three, and offroad is nothing more than mediocre. We suspect that this might be due to a wonky suspension set-up, with ultra-stiff sway bars only allowing 3.2 degrees of roll angle. Good for sportiness, but it kills all other stats, unfortunately.

Fraser MPV

@pentiumbased

Next up is our first kombi. Although some claim it’s from some country called “China”, I have not been able to find out where that is… based on the plates, we think it’s actually an import from Fruinia. Not that that matters. Let’s get to the review. Again, let’s start with the good. It is relatively cheap, even factoring in that we have to immediately swap the suspension (this is the only car with a load capacity <800 kg), we can still purchase 11 of them. It is also very cheap to service, and while fuel economy is about average, its running costs are third-best. It is also pretty quiet, solidly in the top half of the pack. Lastly, comfort is above average. Environmental resistance and drivability are about average – nothing bad, but also not stellar. But unfortunately this is where all the good ends… Reliability is just as bad as for the MAPCO truck, it has by far the slowest 0-100 time and very low sportiness overall, it has almost no off-road capabilities compared to the competition. There are also some questionable engineering choices. For example, the engine makes peak power at the red line (6700 RMP), but actual peak power occurs at 8100 RPM. Needless to say, the small-ish I5 engine is very under-powered and poorly set up. The car also suffers from quite a bit of brake fade. Lastly, two aesthetic considerations: the stats indicate five seats in two rows, but the graphics show six seats in three rows. And there is a sunroof, which is a questionable choice for a car that will have something industrial mounted to its roof. I did not consider these in judging, but something to keep in mind in the future for realism sake. Needless to say, despite the car’s few strengths, I cannot recommend this car for future consideration.

Ibis Coyote 4S8

@nightwave

All-right Komrades, let’s take a look at our first SUV on the list. This car arrives on the scene with a bang, with some stellar key stats. The main highlight is its drivability and acceleration, both of which are second to none! These stats certainly make us proud of this Archanan built car, and make me wonder why such a drivetrain was not used in the король Супер… but I digress. This car must be a dream to drive with its huge V8 mated to an automatic AWD drivetrain! Another highlight is the above average sportiness, which is understandable based on its stellar acceleration figures and active sport suspension. Most of the other statistics, however, are only average or slightly below average, unfortunately. The key factors of reliability and running costs are both slightly below average, mostly due to the trim’s reliability and high fuel costs; engine reliability and service costs are about average. Despite having two reverse-flow mufflers, the car is still the third loudest of the bunch, which would mean some disruption of filming. The car does have many of the latest electronic gadgets installed, but in the end it is also fairly expensive – we could only buy 10 of these. Environmental resistance is average, and despite the decked-out premium interior, comfort is slightly below average. Lastly, the car’s off-road capabilities are are bottom three, putting the final nail in its coffin. This car certainly had lots of potential due to its stellar handleability and sporty attitude, but in the end is let down by a few key factors, and cannot be recommended for further consideration.

Hyensu Pardus

@Maverick74

Let’s look at something completely different again – the first minivan on the list, from Fruinia! But is it really Fruinian at heart? Let me explain. This medium-sized van certainly has a Fruinian chassis, but the engine is a moderately sized, mixed-metal, underpowered V6 with an older OHC technology. Not exactly expected specifications. The van is not very fast and has below average acceleration, and has the worst sportiness of all cars considered. Definitely not very Fruinian. Definitely Fruininan, however, are the wings and spoilers on the van. Questionable engineering choice, but very Fruinian indeed. Despite these shortcomings, there are still some good points. Engine reliability is high and trim reliability is also above average. Its service costs and fuel economy combined make running costs above average, and it is not terribly priced – we can get 11 of these. Drivability, off-road capability, environmental resistance, comfort, loudness – all average. In the end, there is really not much to say about this van, just that it is… average. Sportiness aside, there is nothing terribly wrong with it, but also nothing exciting or outstanding. As such, it deserves its place firmly in the midpack in this line-up, but I don’t recommend further consideration.

Edison Verge SportCross AWD

@Vero94773

Next up is the second SUV of the bunch. It’s a fairly generic looking SUV, and could hail from Fruinia, Hetvesia, or Gasmea. It doesn’t matter though, main point is that it is here. Let’s start with the standout highlight and lowlight combined: it is the most comfortable of the bunch, but also the most expensive. Our drive and camera operators would certainly work in comfort and style, but we could only afford ten of these. It seems that in many other ways as well, the Edison is a dichotomy of statistics. It has good engine reliability, but poor trim reliability, decent fuel economy, but below average service costs, good acceleration, but low off-road capabilities, excellent drivability, but poor sportiness. It also just below average in loudness and environmental resistance. So overall, the Edison is also a very average car with some strengths and weaknesses, but overall just not quite good enough to warrant further consideration. Again, not taken into consideration for judging, but the huge double glass roof windows are a questionable choice for this competition. And watch those rear lights decapitating the passangers!

Regal VT30 Trek 2010

@karhgath

Another kombi for your consideration, dear Komrades, and another from our beloved Fatherland Archana. As such, it also has a few questionable engineering choices, but overall it is a decent pick. What is so questionable you ask? Well, for one it combines a fairly straight-forward car suspension and relatively hard set-up (sporty 4.7 degree roll angle) with disconnecting off-road sway bars. Strange. Then it combines a premium interior with a basic CD. Strange. It is also unclear how many seats it actually has – the pictures show a rear bench seat, but the specifications say four seater. Strange. All that strangeness aside, this does have some strong points. For example, its fuel consumption is head and shoulder better than any other car on the list, and even with an average service cost, the total running cost is the best in the field. It has very decent acceleration and sportiness, both above average. And while price isn’t the best, we could still buy 11 of these, so that’s not too bad. This car just missed out on the top three for the reason that every other statistics is just… average. Reliability is average, loudness is average, drivability is average, off-road is average, and environmental resistance and comfort are slightly below average. Overall, this was a very attractive proposition, and truly only barely misses out on being in the top three. It is unfortunate that another Archanan entry will not be further considered.

Dear Komrade – interrupted the old bureaucrat before the young man could go on – I have had just about enough for the day. Is there much more to go through? I cannot listen to more of this car talk…

Only three more! I left the best for last Komrade. - exclaimed the young man enthusiastically.

All right, listen. I grow weary. We will reconvene tomorrow, and I will bring in the big boss to look at the best three. Then we’ll decide.

And with that, the bureaucrat got up and left the room… Our young friend stacked his papers neatly, and prepared for his meeting with the big boss tomorrow….

Into the finals go (in order of submission):

@donutsnail
@S31
@Kyorg

8 Likes

It seems american strategies are actually pretty solid in some areas, though the stiff roll bars are mainly to help keep a stable platform when fully loaded, again my desire for more realistic setups hurt it more than it helped it. Had a minor breakdown building it and trying to improve it but honestly I thought the sportiness was very, very low compared to other cars in the challenge, didn’t expect to be the sportiest, definitely. I am glad the quietness was good, though the driveability and comfrt are surprisingly hard scores. I thought comfort wouldn’t matter too much so abandoned that setup to chase sportiness.

Could we perhaps see how scores were done for this round when the final decisions are made? I’m very curious to see how my car scored overall.

Finals

Still… somewhere in Krongrad

The next day our young Komrade entered the Government Studio Headquarters for the second time. He was a little wearier than the day before, because the “Big Boss” is going to be there this time.

Good morning Komrade! This is the Director General, please have a seat and let’s begin. - began the old bureaucrat unceremoniously.

Without much ado, our young Komrade passed out the last three files, and began his review.

I will review these with you in the order I go a hold of their specifications, so that we are not biased in any way. First up we have…

Final Reviews

Boulder Boundary V8 Touring

@donutsnail

…a very Gasmean SUV. This car screams Gasmea properly. Full ladder chassis, fairly large V8 with decent power (although, it has a tame tuning and could be pushed a lot more), an automatic AWD system and manual locker, lots of driver aids, and a nice suspension. This car seems to tick all the boxes. It has superb reliability figures, especially on the engine side, it is mouse quiet, has better than average service costs, and is more than decently priced – we can get 13 of these! It is also a dream to drive, almost tied for first place in this category. It also excels off-road, and in comfort, despite its simple standard interior. What doesn’t it do? Well, let me tell you, this car has plenty of compromises too! Its fuel economy isn’t the greatest, so combined running cost is only average. It is a heavy beast, so 0-100 acceleration and sportiness suffer with average to slightly below average figures. Environmental resistance is also only middle of the pack. That said, for the price, this is one hell of a unit! And with a tiny bit of engine tuning I bet we can make this car stand out even more.

MAHG Zeta Prestige EcoTurbo '10

@S31

Next on the list, dear Komrades, is the second minivan in this line-up. Yes, a minivan. In the top three. I know what you’re thinking, but please hear me out. We are not looking at an ordinary van here. Although we are not quite sure where this van was produced, we suspect it is Fruinia based on its specifications. It has a large and modern V6 engine, one of only two AlSi in the entire line-up, and one of the few with direct injection. This tech package makes very decent power indeed while still being cheap to maintain and sips fuel, basically tying the lowest running costs in the field. This, however, does not diminish performance: it is THE fastest in the lineup in the 0-100 sprint (5.82 s). It is also the quietest car of the lineup. The van also has superb drivability, and good environmental resistance. It is not all perfect however. Trim reliability and comfort are average. Sportiness and upfront cost are slightly below average - we can only by 11 of these. Where this van falters most, however, is off-road capability, it being the worst of the bunch. If it didn’t have such high scores elsewhere, it wouldn’t even have been considered this high on the list. Lastly, while this is not a huge concern for the camera car, this vehicle seems to have come out of some sci-fi fiction – the looks are definitely progressive, perhaps just a tad too progressive. Also, glued aluminium chassis is straight-up stolen fighter-jet tech and doesn’t seem too realistic for a minivan…

Mercas-Boretti 402c

@Kyorg

I am delighted to share with you the last entry on the list: it is a domestic kombi. The specs for this vehicle were slipped under my door at the very last minute, so it seems our engineers worked until the last minute on it to optimize it. Well, not often is Archanan engineering applauded, but this time I think we did it! It is certainly the best well-rounded Archanan entry with some true highlights. It is a great honour to announce that Archana has indeed discovered proper weather sealing, because this mostly aluminium car has one of the best environmental resistances in the pack – almost exactly the same as the MAHG Zeta in fact. It is also very sporty indeed, having the highest score of any other car in the line-up, which is supported by an excellent 0-100 time. Surprisingly, fuel economy is also decent, but overall running costs only slightly average, as they are hampered by high service costs of the hypermodern AlSi V8 with DOHC4. Upfront cost is good and we can purchase 12 of these. Interestingly, engine and trim reliability of this car is almost identical to the MAHG Zeta – about average. Off-road, drivability, and comfort are all decent, with the latter two above average. The overall package is very attractive indeed.

With that information in hand, the delegates retired to a private meeting room, leaving our young friend alone to wait for their verdict. After a short while, they re-emerged.

We would like to thank you for bringing these cars to us and explaining their strengths and weaknesses. It is obvious to us that there is going to be no perfect car for the task. But we must choose. The top three made this not easy – they are so closely matched. In our estimation, the Mercas-Boretti and MAHG Zeta are basically equals, but the Boulder Boundary just edges them both out. It is just the most versatile and capable vehicle in the bunch, scoring high in all relevant areas, while remaining relatively economical, and only lagging in some of the lesser criteria. Now, if you please, go ahead and contact the manufacturer so we can order these units as soon as possible – filming must resume!

The winner is….

Congratulations:

donutsnail !!

Your car has been converted into the camera car:

And is already on location filming a nostalgic chase scene about “the good old days” when cars could be fixed with a pair of nylons and a hammer.

The final order of the top 5:
1 - donutsnail
2 - S31
3 - Kyorg
4 - karhgath
5 - Vero94773

9 Likes

All right, since the winner and probably most others have already seen the results, here is the spreadsheet for your perusal. Every single stat had a huge spread of scores, which really highlights the dilemma an “all rounder” car causes - everyone optimizes for what they feel is best. In the end, donutsnail optimized best for the stats that really mattered while keeping the other scores quite high too. And as you can see, places 2-4 were very close indeed!

2 Likes

I have an idea for the next PDC round, but it is a departure from what PDC has been so far. The idea is James Bond-style spy/gadget cars, from any era from the early 60s to modern day. But I have a couple iterations on this of varying levels of engagement that I want to gauge interest on before proceeding.

1. the most in-depth version. Entrants submit 2 trims of the car, one with all the weapons/gadgets hidden, and another with them deployed. Entrants also submit what nation’s (real or Automationverse or otherwise fictional allowed) spy agency the car comes from, and a description and/or depiction of the James Bond-esque spy who uses the car. Judging will be subjective based on style, integration of gadgets, and, of a smaller priority how well the car fits it’s nation and spy.

2. the less in-depth version, following the same format as above, but scrapping the parts including the nationality and spy.

3. the most conventional version. Instead of allowing vehicles from any era, specifying a specific year range the car should fall under so that the vehicles are on an even playing field and can be judged not only by subjective appearance but also by stats.

• The full version, any era, including nation and spy, subjectively judged
  • The lessened version, any era, but no specified nation and spy, subjectively judged
  • The era-locked version, with vehicle stats including in judging

0 voters

The poll didn’t garner a ton of results, and I’m not going to be able to dedicate as much time to Automation in the coming weeks, so I’m actually gonna pass this off to the next finisher, @S31

I’ve got ideas but no time to put down on paper!

I let 3rd take commands! @Kyorg