Performance Tuner Drift Series [Pre-season tests finished]

Dont worry im doing the same :smile:

May I wonder why you think it to be a LOL Build?

Are we not allowed to have some creativity over using the same 2 and 4 door cars?

Iā€™m just trying to have a bit of fun.

Because a big truck or van isnā€™t realistically going to beat an aerodynamic, proper sportier car?
Squid just said they are a waste of time, which to be honest they are.

But a ute is a pickup. That very well could qualify. Older compact pickups do get used for these things as well. I figure the viability of it will entirely depend on the bodystyle and overall design, so it makes sense to allow it as long as itā€™s ā€œreasonably competitive.ā€

3 Likes

They are still going to have garbage weight distribution and probably aerodynamics.

Aerodynamics arenā€™t nearly as important on drift cars as most race cars. A small pickupā€™s weight distribution isnā€™t too different from a stripped out sedan or wagon, just like a van (think Holden Sandman style) is really not all that different either. Japanā€™s got the dajiban drifting (large American vans) and that looks proper fun. Granted something that big wonā€™t be able to compete with more ā€œtypicalā€ drift cars, but thatā€™s not so say other alternatives wonā€™t.

If that is the case, why do D1 and Formula Drift cars have such outrageous aero sets? Why do aftermarket companies spend so much time making drift specific aero kits?

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying aero isnā€™t important at all, just not as much as other types of racing. To the point that a properly designed pickup/van could very well stand a chance, as opposed to a typical track race. I havenā€™t tried any builds like that, so I could be wrong about the viability of it, but I donā€™t see why they might not be at least fairly competitive.

In the end itā€™s up to Squidhead, I just donā€™t see why a competitive entry should be refused just because itā€™s unconventional.

I agree, aero IS important, but here we canā€™t use aero at the cars, so here it isnā€™t so important.

I can see where heā€™s coming from though, the last time he had a performance tuner time attack competition, there was a minivan and a bone stock hatchback in the field against highly tuned cars.

Fun to see perform for meme value but Iā€™m sure the host gets tired of it very quickly.

3 Likes

Considering that was my minivan, and we werenā€™t allowed to change transmissions or engines, Iā€™d say I did decently with my 385 horsepower, automatic-powered, NA-because-turbos-wouldnā€™t-fit minivan in a competition where you couldnā€™t piss without hitting a thousand-horsepower car.

But then again, this is Automation, where 4-digit sports cars are the normal thing and FR sedans with less than 400 horsepower just donā€™t exist.

So again, Iā€™m stuck dragging shit out of the dark ages because I, too, fell in the trap of adding more power and invalidated pretty much my entire lineup. So Iā€™m stuck with something one-year-newer than my 1995 minivan.

Guess Iā€™m just lining up to get my ass kicked again.

True. I think there isnā€™t a problem to make different cars when they have a minimum of competitiveness,

This is a mistake I wonā€™t make, my companyā€™s lineup will have no more then 600hp. I like to make small and light cars or +/- luxurious ones with room for performance improvement.

I spent far too much time on that game

I very loosely feel your pain being unable to enter absolutely anything from my main company into any contest with power limits. Which was why I then made a contest with a minimum Power limit :joy:

2 Likes

Automation does not simulate aero while going sideways, simply because it does not simulate going sideways. As Iā€™ve already posted the formulas for point scoring you will find that speed around a track is one of the factors in this, meaning at least PART of the score will depend on how fast your car is around the track., in which case a brick of a van would have worse chances than a coupe. Chosing an ā€œunconventional carā€ is all fine and dandy, till the spot where we find out the body is completely useless against the other cars that were provided and I have to do the extra work for your personal ā€œlolā€. I hope this explains why

#VANS AND PICKUP TRUCKS ARE BANNED FOR THE TIME BEING
Coupe, Sedan, and Estate bodies only. Weā€™re investigating the issue

i WILL however make a deal with you. If you really wish to run a minivan or a pickup truck then sure, build one and send it in. If it fails to qualify in the top third of the lineup in the first round, then the car gets instantly banned from the rest of the competition, and you wonā€™t get in on any of the action in the remaining 5 races of the season. Sound fair?

3 Likes

Iā€™m still debating whether or not to make something for this challenge, and I wasnā€™t actually thinking of designing a pickup or van for it. It was pure speculation, I know Vri wants to enter a truck, but I still think it can be possible to have something that works. Yes, a perfectly tuned truck will be slower than a perfectly tuned car, but there are certainly going to be many entries without the best of tuning to that something unconventional remains competitive.

Iā€™m all for testing and seeing how these body styles perform, and if you decide that they should not compete if they simply canā€™t hold up to the competition, then thatā€™s fair. Any body style I may use will be based on its competitive nature rather than for the ā€œlolā€ of it.

Sounds fair, since there is no real fun to have a ā€˜lolā€™ entry.
I wanted to use the Nomad Sport, a pickup that I used at the DRC and that Iā€™m sure is as competitive as a small coupe, but have 23hp more then allowed for the stock, so I wonā€™t use it this time.

If you can make one compete against one of these

Be my guest

2 Likes

Or against one of these :wink:

Ok, I stopped.

1 Like