Performance Tuner Drift Series [Pre-season tests finished]

That will not happen

BMW tuners call it “Vanos delete”, yes you can remove it.

1 Like

And it happens spontaneously every 200k :wink:

Man still no answer to panels. Can we put on plastic bumpers and hood or not?

You do know you can not change that in a trim alone. Meaning no, you can not, you’re editing the trim, not the stock version of the car.

1 Like

We appear to be talking past each other here. I’ve already said I got the car to pass legality checks and I clearly care because here I am trying to determine what exactly the rules are, so I could make it better.

Would you be willing to divulge an ATT time and 20/250 cornering G that you would consider competitive?

1 Like

Approximate values - 2:10 at ATT, and about 1.2 on both skidpads, with 35-ish drivability and 50-ish wheelspin. That is raw car without fine tuning as in “I have not yet tuned the suspension”

1 Like

Well, I’m pleasantly surprised by those values. I’m down on drivability and wheelspin, but appear to be competitive with time and skidpad. Maybe I’ll end up mid-pack this time instead of taking home last or second to last.

Thanks. Sounds like you need to have more faith in chubby little cars.

Also pretty raw, mind you.

3 Likes

Before vs. After

Tuning yet not complete but it’s more of a David to some Goliaths around here…

8 Likes

Well, @AirJordan, I’m going to borrow your format a bit here to show the dramatic transformation of the 1996 Storm Knight.

From the wild GT-4T to the insane drift car, the Knight is completely transformed, both on the outside and under the hood.

I stuck with the Arc Blue, though I was so tempted to go for a variant of red.

7 Likes

Just to clarify, that’s on sports tires.

1 Like

I’m going to ask 2 stupid questions:

1. I know my car isn’t great, so if I tune it, can I resubmit before the deadline?
  2. (note: I am definitely cheating in this) What units is the “laptime” variable measured in?

To be clear, since corner speed is determined by track time, and I’m assuming that we aren’t attempting to drift these cars at entry speeds past 200km/h, I’d like to caution taking the ATT with a grain of salt: yes, it’s accurate if your car is geared appropriately but I take it that drifts here are taking place on a short tight segment of the road.

That is to say I’ve currently geared my car to a top speed of about 220km/h, which gives it fantastic wheelspin (up to 65-70% lol) but as for whether this is going to make it problematic to score…

Also such great designs here.

ok

I am geared to noticeably less

oh good!

Then of course my point is you probably spend a quarter of the lap in the ATT bouncing off the rev limiter :joy:

3 Likes

Noted. I had it on semi slicks, as you mentioned you were running 365 slicks at 1200kg earlier.

Does lose some time on sports, but still appears to be within limits of what you considered competitive.

Ultimately, this is your challenge and I’m not here to make your life difficult. The plan was to take this car with all its faults and try to get it as high up the order as it can go. If you’d rather I didn’t submit it, I’ll spend my time on something else and you’ll have one less entrant to worry about. Up to you, no hard feelings.

1 Like

Just for shits and giggles limit it to 200kph and see if it’s anywhere near that time. If it’s anywhere close, you’re in.

Threw it back on sports tires and swapped in a 5 speed so it wouldn’t shift four times on every little straight. The suspension isn’t particularly happy about the change to weight redistribution so there’s some time left in that number.

(Before you ask, yes, I got it under 1.5 tons while keeping it safety legal and yes, downforce elements still at zero)

1 Like

Close enough. You’re in

1 Like

running 68.1% wheelspin with over 15 drivability.

i’m gonna crash, or gonna win. no inbetweens.

2 Likes

Since you say “any other box” I have assumed sequential is disallowed. I think many rally cars and the hoonigan and such use stickshift sequentials though, which sort of straddles the line, so can you please confirm?

Along the same line, the rules don’t say you can’t add a turbo to a NA engine. Is that something that’s allowed? It wouldn’t fit in mine, anyway, but if “aftermarket turbo kits” are a thing I could see some people with big engine bays boosting an old 400hp NA to some 1000+ hp in 2016.