PSA: Patch to avoid Wannacry

As you may know, A recent massive cyber attack has already damaged hundred thousands of computers.It is horrifying because causing a lot of troubles to the society and a lot of important data. To prevent your precious computer properties and maybe your hard-works from being encrypted and destroyed by the ransomwares. Microsoft has release a new patch for several versions of Windows to prevent more computers being infected. Please check if your computer is patched, and update your windows if necessary.

5 Likes

Luckily the spread of this has stopped unless a new version gets made.

Much appreciated. As an update defector; this is very useful for me… assuming there is nothing but an immunization patch against that piece of ransomware in that update. I’ve decided to trust it on the principle of choosing the lesser of two evils; potentially losing Win7 instead of potentially losing everything.

I wear a tin-foil cap when it comes to updates; especially for aging operating systems.

I hope that ransomware itself wasn’t created with the purpose of moving people onto Win10. That would be a new low.

1 Like

Search “nerdgasm wannacry” on YouTube. He explains about the patching.

1 Like

Good’Ol Jerry Berg, great guy.

That being said, do heed this warning as new version of wannacry is out in the wild that no longer has the domain kill switch in it.

I know about this, my windows PC is still out of service though, so I kinda just watched this blow over from a Linux laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like