Purchasing Department

Yours wasn’t even that high, at only 469 :smile:

Ah, fair enough. I can’t remember what the power was, clearly, and apparently after sending in my truck, I must’ve tweaked the engine or something. My bad.

The first truck to arrive for evaluation was the Znopresk Zanzibar.

Engine: 195hp Direct Injected 4.3L I6
Transmission: 7 speed 4X4
Passengers: 5
Bed: 5 foot

When we looked at the brochure and saw what the engine was rated at we were shocked in the are you kidding me? kind of way. It only puts out 195hp and what a tiny bed. The body is aluminum with steel in important parts like the bed floor. Interior wise the Zanzibar comes with cloth seats and just the most basic radio and information system. But we still had to put it through its paces and see how it handled. For starters we took it around the test range. It handled well with moderate comfort. It was superb at handling any off road issues, way better than needed. Most of the crew have only heard about selectable lockers, we are expecting someone to use them at the wrong time and then complain about the handling. The basic mountain test passed with flying colors, so off to the freeway. The ride was smooth and decent with the engine turning at about 1600rpm it was hardly noticeable and rarely down shifted despite its low power output. The off-road tires made more noise than the engine Now it was time to get mean to it. It was able to handle a 2000lb load without too much difficulty using a little over half of the rear suspension travel, but due to the short box it was hard to get the load centered over the rear axle. So next we put a big 5000lb box trailer on the back. Going down the freeway it spends most of its time in 5th gear at 75mph. Back to the test range to see how well it can handle the slopes. This is where the low power actually slowed us down, it was only able to do 20mph up the north road slope full throttle second gear. We found it easily handled it though if we went into 4low and slowed down to 10mph which is what we do normally even with bigger engines. The engine actually surprised us due to its wide relatively flat power band making 100hp at a manageable 2000 rpm. This truck will fill our needs even with the short bed.

The second truck that came in a few days later was the Ornate Workhorse

Engine: Direct injected 362hp Turbo I6
Transmission: 8 speed AWD
Passengers:2
Bed: 6 foot

Our first impression “This is a car!!” The Ornate Workhorse is what the Australians would call a UTE. Most of the people around here kept calling it an El-Camino. That wasn’t the only thing we found odd, it was also a uni-body, a turbo charged I6 and had an AWD drivetrain. It at least had a slightly longer bed than the Zanzibar. The interior was very basic with only 2 seats and no radio. We had some concerns about whether or not our mechanics would be willing to work on it due to the complexity of the engine systems. With only 7.2 inches of ground clearance we had doubts that it would be enough to handle the terrain. We took it out onto the mountain despite having worries about the ground clearance. The round was pretty fun but very rough, and the engine didn’t come alive until 1800rpm which was pretty easy to get it past that point at least. We figured we would be safe on the roads, when we took it out into the rough its lack of ground clearance and tires that only measure 24” tall became quite apparent as we hung up on just about everything and had to be pulled out a couple of times. If it wasn’t for the fact that it had a fully clad undertray we probably would have had to have it towed back as several customers have found out in the past when they brought a rental out and had to have it towed back due to holes in the oil pan, or smashed steering components. On the freeway at 75mph the engine wasn’t even breathing hard at 2500rpm. When we got back we loaded 2000lbs in the back which bottomed out the rear suspension. What the car er truck thing did excel at was towing. The north road was done easily in second gear at 25mph even without having a low range. On the highway it spends most of its time in 7th gear but will shift from 6th all the way to 8th depending on the wind and terrain. Due to its low ground clearance and light load capacity this truck will not fill our needs.

The third truck coming in the next day was Centauri’s Yosemite

Engine: 203hp Direct injected 5L V6
Transmission: 7 speed 4X4
Passengers 2
Bed 6.5ft

First impressions, Its a bit small, but comes with a Grill guard, winch, and skid-plates, it should take a bit more beating before it starts looking like the rest of the trucks we have. The Yosemite’s interior isn’t extravagant but is at least decent. One thing we liked was that it didn’t come with electronic stability, power slides around the curves should be more fun and more consistent without the computers trying to take over. The drive around the mountain was uneventful though we did have to slide it around a few of the curves. It was capable off road though not near as capable as the Zanzibar. On the freeway the engine turned 3500rpm at 75mph in high gear. The 2000 lb load bottomed out the suspension owing partly to having standard springs, though it should still be able to handle 1500lbs without much problem. Climbing the north road was accomplished at 20mph in high range, though it is suggested to drop to low range and drop the speed to 15mph. On the freeway due to its incredibly low gearing it rarely had to downshift even with the engine spinning at about 3500rpm. Due to the low cargo capacity this truck might not fill our needs.

A couple of days later Gamma’s Nomad WT showed up

Engine: MPFI 3L V6
Transmission: 7 speed AWD
Bed 5 ft

Like the Yosemite this truck comes from the factory with a grill guard and a winch. It has clam shell doors and seating for 5, but a very short bed. The truck was very manageable and quite capable when we left the roads. On the freeway the engine was roaring at 4500rpm at 75mph, its a good thing most of our miles are on the mountain. 2000Lbs slammed the suspension hard onto the frame. With the 5000lb trailer the truck was able to make the north road just over 20mph in second gear though keeping between 15 and 20 in first. The lack of a low range did cause some concern among some of the crew. With the trailer on the freeway we cruised in 6th gear which was rather nerve racking with the engine spinning over 5000rpm. Due to the very low cargo capacity this truck probably will not fill our needs.

thecarlover
Engine: 231HP turbo charged Direct injected 3.8L I6
Transmission:8 speed 4X4
Passengers: 3
Bed: 7ft

A simple single cab truck with a complicated turbo charged engine just what our mechanics are going to love. It does have a good sized bed however. The round around the mountain was pretty un-eventfull, with enough off road capability to get the job done. On the freeway at 75mph the engine turned only 2000rpm. Dropping 2000 lbs into the back made it squat about 3 inches. Pulling the heavy box trailer up the north road was easily done at 20mph in high range first gear. On the freeway it had to drop to 6th gear and 3200rpm. This truck will definitely be able to fill our needs.

f17fancissco

Engine: 193hp Direct injected 3.5L V6
Transmission:7 speed AWD
Bed: 5ft
This time 2 trucks showed up the first of which is the Raziel Classe P comercial, a midsized 4 door short bed with a roof rack and a bunch of lights. The truck came with a VHF comercial band radio and when we contacted them we were told that we could get a UHF radio instead at the same cost. The drive around the mountain was a cinch, this was by far the easiest truck to drive up to this point. At 75mph on the freeway the engine turned about 1600rpm. 2000Lbs sank the back end less than 3 inches. The next test was where things went south for the comercial. To say that the north road is steep is an understatement, it exceeds 20degrees in several places, with a couple of sharp turns and most of the time it is rather bumpy. So its no shame to not be able to make it up while hauling more than its own weight in addition to its own weight. The Classe P comercial made it up, but was not happy about it to say the least. It bogged down to just 5mph on the steeper sections and would barely make it to 10mph on the shallower sections. By the time we got to the top 10 minutes later the check engine light was lit and the transmission temperature was in the red. We decided the testing was at an end and once things cooled off a bit we drove it back down the hill still running but sluggish on the thankfully few uphill grades on the way back to the building. This truck is absolutely not capable of filling our needs.

TR8R
Engine: 233hp MPFI 4.0L V8
Transmission: 5 speed 4X4
Passengers:6
Bed: 4ft
We got back just in time for the second truck of the day to show up, obviously a truck that was meant for us as it bared the name EMRTC1. Lots of lights, grill guard, a winch and our first V8. On the drive around the mountain the EMRTC1 handled well the active suspension smoothing out the bumps real nicely. We just wonder how long the system will hold together on the abuse we dish out every day. So far this was the most capable off road vehicle, not quite as capable as my own Jeep, but it definitely has potential even as something I would own. On the freeway the engine ran at about 3600rpm. The active suspension was easily able to adapt to the 2000lb load. Though the exceptionally small bed made it hard to even get that much into it. On the north road with the trailer it was able to manage 20mph but only in low range. On the freeway with the trailer the transmission was constantly shifting between 4th and 5th with the engine running about 4600rpm in 4th gear. This truck will barely fill our needs due to the small bed.

Madras
Storm Wolf HD 1360
Engine: 469hp Turbo Charged direct injected 7.5L I6
Transmission: 9 speed 4X4
Passengers:5
Bed: 8ft
Finally a TRUCK. A large full size dually, only a V6, but a large turbocharged beast of a V6 with peak torque over 600ft-lb at a mere 2000rpm. We went out enthusiastically in what may now be our favorite truck. It handled decently and its off road capabilities were adequate. When we took it on the freeway the engine hummed along at 2200rpm. Loading 2000lbs into the back didn’t budge it much. Pulling the 5000lb box trailer up the north hill went smoothly, at 25mph in third gear high range, and even made it to 4th on the shallower sections. On the freeway it was able to hold 9th gear even on shallow inclines. This is currently the best truck and will fill our needs quite well.

Oppositelock
GSI Wyoming
Engine: 465hp turbocharged direct injected 6L V8
Transmission: 8speed AWD
Bed: 6ft
Another large truck with a big beefy V8. The only truck that was more fun was the Workhorse, or the Yosemite the latter was just because we enjoyed sliding around the corners. Despite having an AWD setup this truck is quite capable off road. On the freeway the engine chugged right along at 3000rpm which is also its torque peak. The Wyoming was able to handle the 2000lb load without much room to spare. Due to the beefy engine the Wyoming was able to climb the north road in second gear at 25mph. Pulling the trailer on the freeway didn’t even knock it down a gear. This is a very capable truck, and will fill our needs quite well.

HighOctaineLove
Engine: 355hp turbo charged Direct injected 5L I6
Transmission: 9 speed AWD
Passengers:3

The first Bogliq Haulage came in its SUV trim, after a brief discussion on what we consider a truck and after a short wait one was delivered, though in a blue color with the promise that if we awarded the contract to Bogliq that they would come in white. The Haulage is nearly as capable off road as the Wyoming but is a hair more comfortable on its trek around the mountain. Unfortunately when we loaded the Haulage it bottomed out the rear suspension. Hauling the heavy trailer up the hill was done well enough and on the freeway the transmission kept shifting between 7th and 8th. This truck might not fill our needs due to a low cargo capacity.

Awildgerman
Engine: 245hp Turbocharged Direct Injected 3.4L I6
Transmission: 6 speed AWD

The big trucks seem to be coming in all at once. The Artisan is a 4 door 5 seat beast of a truck, with a very advanced, durable and efficient engine EPA rating of 30mpg which is the second best only beat by the Workhorse which is quite amazing for such a large truck. Unfortunately the fuel requirements are beyond what the campus pumps have available. But since it has a full tank and we have the time we might as well see how it performs. Driving around the mountain the Artisan handled well with plenty of capability. At 75mph the engine barely turned 1200rpm. Loading the bed barely budged the suspension. Climbing the north road hill with 5000lbs connected to the back turned into a disaster. The truck just couldn’t do it. It was geared way too high. Things got so bad that we had to back the truck and trailer back down the hill until we could get it turned around. Talk about a pucker factor. This truck will absolutely not fill our needs.

Koolkei
Engine: 471hp Turbo Charged Direct Injected 6L I6
Transmission: 8 speed AWD
Passengers: 4

The next truck is the Scareo, another big beefy truck with a big beefy engine. We just hope that its got better gearing than the one we drove yesterday. Like most of the trucks it handled the trip around the mountain and off road decently enough. Our backsides were happy with the extra quality in the interior as it was the most comfortable truck in the lineup. On the freeway the engine turned 1800rpm , smooth and quiet. 2000Lbs dropped the back end less than 3 inches. The Scareo was able to pull the trailer up the north road at 25mph, on the freeway it dropped a gear to 7th with an regular drops to 6th.
This truck will fill our needs.

Klinardo
Engine: 348hp EFI 7.5L V8
Transmission: 6 speed 4X4
Passengers: 6
And the second truck for the day is the FT225 another large truck with a nice big engine. It was significantly less comfortable than the rest but not near as bad as the Workhorse, our rears are still sore from that one. On the freeway the engine turned about 2500rpm. 2000Lbs bottomed out the suspension. The FT225 pulled the trailer up the hill quite easily. With the trailer on the freeway the transmission dropped to 5th and revved up to 3000-3500. Due to the limited load capacity this truck may not fill our needs.

Phale
Engine: 310hp turbocharged Direct Injected I6
Transmission: 9 speed AWD
Passengers: 4
Bed: 6ft
The third truck of the day and the final entry is the Adenine Reverence. Its a simple sleek looking truck with a decent sized cab, and decent sized bed. The only potential issue we see is that it is rather low to the ground. The Reverence was the best handling truck of the trucks on the mountain. On the Freeway the engine ran about 3500 rpm. The Reverence handled loading 2000lbs into the back without much difficulty. When pulling the trailer up the north road it did have to rev quite high in first gear but made it up the hill as fast as we dared. Pulling the trailer down the freeway dropped it down to 8th gear but still pulled smooth and well under control. Despite being a bit low to the ground this truck should fill our needs.

9 Likes

Memmo: To Swivel chair Sammy

We evaluated all of the trucks, and have a list of the trucks that will get the job done as well as which trucks we prefer.

The Zanzibar, MT12CMB, EMRTC1, HD1360, Wyoming will all fill our needs. Our preference is for the HD1360 as it not only meets our needs but exceeds them in every way.

Zabhawkin

To thecarlover

You have been awarded the contract for 10 MT12CMB trucks for a total of  $208000.
                                   Swivle chair Sammy
5 Likes

The Nomad engine was a I6, not a V6.

I forgot to tune the rear suspensions, I knew it would be my weak spot.

Great challenge, had fun both building the pick-up and reading the results!
Thanks, @Zabhawkin and congratz @thecarlover!

Oh wow, after the reviews I’m surprised my truck ended up on top. This was certainly a fun challenge to do :grin:

The winner was chosen by whether or not the truck filled the needs, then the lowest cost. We actually had a tie between thecarlover and Norman Vauxhall, so the better of the two was chosen.

5 Likes

Well, I knew it was likely to be too expensive, but I’m glad to see that our truck exceeded expectations.

It’s a big brute of a truck, but it’s built for people who need a truck.

Congratulations to @thecarlover for their victory!

Thank you to @Zabhawkin for hosting this challenge. It was an interesting and unique challenge, and had some lightly nerve-wracking moments. I was actually worried at first that I might’ve put in a bit too much truck for what was needed.

Actually, @Zabhawkin , if it wouldn’t be too much of a pain to do, just for curiosity, how does the Storm Wolf’s suspension hold up to 3000 pounds in the bed? At least I know I can label it with 2000 (regarding pounds of capacity) in the retail version comfortably.

1 Like

Ah, that explains it. I figured taking the inexpensive (but not cheap) route was the way to go for a fleet.

Congrats @thecarlover for a well earnt victory!

My submission betrays my lack of knowledge in building American trucks… Thanks @Zabhawkin for the really interesting competition :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well, I’m really happy to arrived second on a completely new market for me.
Thanks for hosting the challenge

I thought about entering this round, but chickened out due to lack of confidence. Congratulations to @thecarlover for winning - and deservedly so!

Gratz @thecarlover

I wish I’d made the rear bigger! :smiley: