Question on unreal update

Using different Block and Head materials
Brucemation on: The restrictiveness of the families system

I’ll be back with more

So, you’ve quoted two articles, one of which is debating the merits of aluminum vs iron (And make no mistake, almost universally across the board, aluminum tends to the preferred option; It’s lighter and doesn’t rust), which has absolutely no bearing on what I suggested. The other is kind’ve rambling, but begins by asking for the same thing I am - more options regarding what constitutes an engine family.

So, while you can find all the threads you want, I’ll bring this back to what was asked for: Make the god damn variants allow for more stuff than displacement differences.

The only things that you can’t change on a varaint are material and head type. I’m not sure what “more” you’re after. We know you can (in some real-world cases) “sohc to dohc”, but the devs have said that’ll mess with the manufacturing bonus system they have in place. I may well be wrong, and feel free to correct me if I am, but that’s what I read/heard.

…Material and head type would be a good start. Was also the impression internals couldn’t be changed either (So if you used forged pistons in one, you used forged pistons in all of them), but I haven’t played in a week or so, so I may be incorrect.

On top of that, what was suggested was logical - they more extensively you changed an engine, the less of a bonus retained for being in a family. I stand by my support of that suggestion.

I can confirm this is false, all the internal materials (as in pistons, conrods, and crankshaft) can be changed with variants

2 Likes

It’s worth to add that we will also be able to exchange crossplane and flatplane cranks in V8s in Unreal.

2 Likes

Appreciate the correction! Like I said, haven’t had a chance to play in a little while.