Quotex' Design Challenge - Round 1 - "Back to basics" [ON HOLD]

There it is.

I think it’s on the left rear. You see how the bottom light is assymetrical?

Me, I basically put in a CHSML on the package shelf.

@GassTiresandOil The rear side reflectors you have aren’t necessary in Europe, just the USA.

1 Like

Yes, that’s pretty ridiculous even for your top performance trim. The Mercedes 190E turbo, with a 2.3 liter 16 valve made 185hp. I think that was top for this segment. Even (86’) the later E30 M3 only had 192hp. I guess if you count the Maserati BiTurbo, the Italian market S model had 205hp.

remember that most supercars of the day barely broke 300hp

For a contemporary sports car or even a sports sedan, 230 horsepower seems adequate, but in a more modestly priced D-segment family sedan, I reckon it’s way too much. There were many variants of popular models on sale back then that didn’t even have 100 horsepower or more, but such low outputs proved sufficient for the era.

My 100bhp(ish) car does not contain a catalytic converter but has forged internals in the engine, SPEFI and a twin cam , 16valve cylinder head all in a 1998cc block and the power is transferred to the wheels via a FWD 5 speed gearbox etc. etc.

I have a 1.6 liter four cylinder producing 80hp and 95 ft/lbs of torque, giving 27mpg. But I think my car is more large C-segment than D, really

GEC GC3 1.8i

The future of family cars has arrived - and it can be yours from just 15,200 Gallian Ducats.

1 Like

Please. Not every post needs a reply, not every entry needs a review from you. Please remember what I said earlier: Discourse is not Discord. It doesn’t matter whether you can use Discord or not, you really should follow basic forum etiquette here. Please refrain from making multiple posts in a row and please, for the love of all that’s holy, don’t reply to every single new post. Only reply when you really need to.

This thread has reached 150 posts within 6 days and with 9 days left until the deadline - this isn’t a nice place to scroll down due to the amount of unnecessary posting done here, unlike the majority of other challenges on this forum. Seriously, one entrant should not have twice the amount of posts that the creator of the challenge has. I’m not only talking about this thread either.

Discourse has a PM feature, you can use that to decrease the amount of messages on a thread, no one likes a long, boring thread filled with mostly questions and arguments. Please resist your urges to reply to this post, just read carefully to what I said and try to improve your forum posting.

12 Likes

I don’t want to start a conversation about discord where it doesn’t belong, but for the record no one gets banned for “talking or posting too much”. It is usually shitposting, treating people poorly in various ways, or piracy.

So yes, while I post a lot, it is annoying when you want to look back at other cars and you have to scroll through a hell of a lot of messages. If it’s starting to annoy me now, it is a bit OTT now

Thanks for the info. I’m not all that familiar with European rules back then. I guess more lights are better than not enough. And, yes, you have a keen eye. My rear fog light is incorporated into the left taillight assembly.

@patridam @GassTiresandOil @Human89845524

The Rear foglight can be either on the center of the vehicle, or on the Driver’s side. You can also mount them in pairs.

Rear fog lamps
In Europe and other countries adhering to UN Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red “rear fog lamps”, which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be turned on by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to make the vehicle more visible from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candela, which is within the range of a US stop lamp (brake light). Rear fog lamps are not required equipment in the US, but they are permitted and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America. Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Porsche, Saab, and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. Some vehicles from non-European brands which are adaptions of European-market offerings.

Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver’s side of the vehicle’s centreline—whichever side is the prevailing driver’s side in the country in which the vehicle is registered. This is to maximize the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. In many cases, a single reversing lamp is mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle, positionally symmetrical with the rear fog. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle’s centreline.

Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated stop lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the stop lamps’ message when the rear fogs are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with stop lamps, UN Regulation 48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any stop lamp and any rear fog lamp.

Taken from wikipedia’s automotive lighting article.

1 Like

Which side is the driver’s side in Fruinia?

Right, I think?

I’m going by mainland europe so all the cars in my version of Fruinia and Gallia drive on the right side with left hand traffic. I noticed you were one of the few that submitted a Left hand drive car though, which is ok, I’m not going to nitpick about which side the steering wheel is on as long as everything is properly mirrored to reflect it.

so cars drive on the right hand side of the road and the steering wheel is on the left hand side of the automobile , in the manner of france, germany, italy and the like?

Unless you’re driving an asian import, yes. The steering wheel is on the left.

You Know, this forum has a Private Messaging System for such questions.

EDIT: Yes.

So, since my initial entry had a basic interior and that was… strongly discouraged by Quotex, I have gone to the opposite end of the spectrum and am submitting the luxury model of the Eagle line, the 2.0L. It’s no turbocharged BETA Maxx Eagle, but it’s a steal at 15,000 ducats. The newspaper ad still shows the base model, so it’s hidden.

Ad

4 Likes