Quotex' Design Challenge - Round 1 - "Back to basics" [ON HOLD]

While the Audi 80, BMW 3-Series and 190E are indeed mentioned as example cars, The ones pictured are either the absolute bottom line trim levels, or close to being so.

And can you not refer to the other submissions as “cheap and nasty” whilst uptalking the overengineering of your own car. It’s a dick move. I’ll be the one who gets to review them so i’ll be the judge of that.

3 Likes

I’m not a mod here, but I think anything said further is only going to do more damage, lets just let the challenge play out and not derail the thread further please.

1 Like

On the contrary, the overengineering that is present in my car is quite a bad thing in this instance, the reliability will and has suffered accordingly and the price is a little on the high side even though like the german cars , the rather sub par and half hearted attempt at a car that i presented is the lowest available trim level. alot of the other cars in this challenge seem alot better thought out and far more up to the task than the marketing and engineering misstep i entered.

More pics

23 Likes

The mid-level 1983 BMW 318i had a 1.8L 4 cylinder with a SOHC and 2 valves per cylinder producing 103hp
The top level 1983 Audi 80 GL had a 1.8L 4 cylinder with a SOHC and 2 valves per cylinder producing 89hp
The mid-level Mercedes 190E had a 2.0L 4 cylinder with a SOHC and 2 valves per cylinder producing 122hp
(though the base 190 with a 90hp engine is probably more accurate to this challenge)

None of these cars are cheap and nasty, yet none of them have DOHC or 4 valves. In fact, the only engine that comes to mind in this challenge with 4 valves (SOHC mind you) is a “muck” Ford 1.6 CVH.

3 Likes

i have 3v SOHC. my excuse? honda civic. they have been using em since the 70s. and i am trying to make mind look japanese

1 Like

Edit: The car is actually called the EC16, no idea why I wrote DC16 instead :man_facepalming:

The Car

10 Likes

Other car photos

1 Like

Other Photos

This is the Polski Cossack D1500 Pologne, MY '83, produced by FFSO, descending from a 1967 Cossack D1600/D2000.
This is the export model, meaning that despite the declining build quality of the FFSO factory, the parts for this model were specifically picked not to suck this much to compete with the western automobiles.

10 Likes

Lets try this again, with a legal car body. I’m shite at design though.

THE SUBMISSION HAS CHANGED, PRAY I DON’T ALTER IT ANY FURTHER

what’s the car named? Commodore? Commidore? Commifore?

3 Likes

This. Was gonna do Commadore, but that seemed too similar to… something I remembered at the time. I typoed this ad to death. Seems like something someone who can’t design would do…

Really, whichever spelling you want is fine. I don’t remember if the badging on the car is correct or a “factory defect” either.

Edit: Turns out the wheelbase is too smol. I don’t have access to a PC for quite a while… so… I probably won’t be getting an entry in that’s legal after all.

Okay, last attempt with my only car that can fit this criteria without modding the game to hell and back. For funsies, it’s now got a two way Catalytic Converter, and i’m pretty sure still is one of the most economical cars engines here.

The new 1983 Hakumai Intruder.

(Forgot Wipers but will be fixed in the car file)

5 Likes

No changes were made to the 4th-generation Rigore Angeles since it began production in 1981. In 1983, it remained pretty much the same car it was as it rolled off the line 2 years prior.

More visuals on the European-exclusive base 200 ES model are located below. North American markets would get the 135 ES model, with the slightly larger (2.2 vs 2.0 l) engine.

1983 Rigore Angeles 200 ES

19 Likes

1983 Reduit Støvkost G3

more stuff

7 Likes

1983 Avia Diplomat DX

13 Likes

Sunday Afternoon, the city of Teischelberg…

“Can you grab a cart dear? I forgot to lock the car, so I’ll be right back.”

Liane is out with her mother on a grocery run for tonight’s dinner at the local Maxis Super Store, her GMF Trend is out in the garage for its first annual MOT test, a system introduced earlier this year to make sure all older vehicles are still safe and roadworthy.

“Sure, I’ll go get one.”

Liane grabs a shopping trolley and starts walking towards the entrance of the store. It’s one of the largest stores in the region that sells anything ranging from food to camping equipment and other general goods.

As Liane gets near the Entrance she notices a familiar looking car…

The yellow sedan approaches Liane and rolls down its window. It’s her boss Lars.

He recently bought a YAZ 1500 Deluxe that the A&M staff can use for long-distance trips. It is a facelift of a model that has been in the run since the 60s. And from what Liane has read about it, the thing barely passes safety requirements to be imported into Gallia. But since they’re only just starting out with the Magazine, this is all the new car their budget could buy.

“Afternoon Liane, nice seeing you here. Doing a grocery run as well?”

Lars turns down the radio, it’s playing Mr. Flagio’s “Take a Chance”. He’s really into Modern Disco music, Liane enjoys it a fair bit as well, she actually wanted to grab the new Donna Summer album while she was here.

“Yep, I’m here with my mother to get Ingredients for dinner, and I think I might get some new Records.”

“What’s on the menu then?”

Hutspot, how about you?”

“I’m going to grab some fries with Devlin, I hear you two are getting close to a final selection for the D-segment comparison?”

“Yep, we should be done with our selection next week. Will you be lending us the YAZ?”

“Yeah, it drives like a charm actually, it’s not fast, but it’s reasonably comfortable and not too noisy once you get up to speed. Anyway, I’m probably getting a queue behind me, so I’d best be on my way to meet Devlin. I’ll see you around.”

“Ok, see ya Monday.”

The yellow sedan sputters off, leaving a small plume of smoke behind. Liane goes inside the store to continue her grocery run with her mother…

A Timer has been added to the main post so that you can keep track of the Deadline.

Thanks to everyone who has submitted an entry so far, due to the large amount of entrants and nature of the challenge (and me procrastinating :eyes:) it’s going to take me a while to get to everyone’s entry inspected.

I will be allow post-deadline resubmissions if I can’t get your entry inspected within the deadline, the deadline for doing so will be posted once Inspected all the cars.

Once all the able entrants have passed inspection, I’ll start Judging the designs and write my reviews. You can expect the finals to be out in 1-2 weeks after the deadline has passed. (I’ll be making detailed reviews, hence the delay in results). Before that I’ll make a few posts on the progress of Lianes and Devlins adventure to Fruinia. (AKA Prelims and Bins)

Introducing: The ЯAЗ (YAZ) 1500 DELUXE.

https://streamable.com/hn0uu
The ЯAЗ 1500 Deluxe, optional equipment shown, color: Цитрусовые желтый (Citrus Yellow) w/ Black Pinstriping.

The YAZ 1500 has been the Archanan go-to car for the commuter on a budget since 1967. Having recently undergone a facelift and several safety and powerplant upgrades. It has been cleared for Export to Fruinia and Gallia. The “Deluxe” trim level is meant specifically for Export markets, and Includes additional equipment such as a passenger door mirror, rear seatbelts and an entry-level ROTFUNKT™ stereo AM/FM radio. Optionally, you can further equip the 1500 with Häkka® Rallye-style foglights, aerodynamic front spoiler and a sunroof with low drag visor. The Deluxe starts at DCT 9,600 and can be yours today. Experience the durable and reliable form of transportation that has mobilized Archana for years.

That’s right, a prize car!

A YAZ 1500 Deluxe will be given to the winners in the Design and Engineering category. And you’ll be able to pick from 6 different colors.

Additionally, this car will be entering the challenge as a low-end Benchmark vehicle for the engineering category.

23 Likes

1983 SAV Gaviota 2.0 SX

Available in 2 door coupe, 4 door sedan, and 5 door liftback or estate.

This upper-mid trim SX comes with a 2.0 liter, electronic fuel injection overhead cam flat 4, front disc brakes, 15" alloy wheels, higher quality interior trimmings, and stylish, aerodynamic semi-hidden headlamps.

Photos

18 Likes