R.I.P. OpenIV (Nvm the paramedics were finally useful :D)

Well, I am sure many of you guys have seen the news already, but I’ll make a post here for anyone that Hasn’t.

Basically, GTA5’s publisher, Take 2, sent a Cease and Desist letter to the team behind OpenIV, forcing them to stop development. There is a Petition out there if anyone wants a link to it.

EDIT: I found the petition link again

7 Likes

Well that blows, T2 are a bunch of dickheads.

2 Likes

I’m no stranger to the game development process, but i can’t understand why Take Two would make such a move like this. There’s really more to lose then you have to gain.

2 Likes

And the effects are already setting in, Majority of recent steam reviews for GTA 5 are now negative due to this, they’re definitely starting to lose some, question now is, will they still hold their ground, or will the public backlash be too much to handle for them?

Scarily enough, Take Two recently bought Kerbal Space Program. Money hungry lawyers & management not seeing the big picture are one of my pet peeves.

Luckily I don’t personally like to use mods that much, but I can understand why they’re such a big thing.

2 Likes

I just checked the KSP newsfeed and you’re right, on the 31st of may they did. guess pretty soon we can expect KSP to have forced Microtransactions.

1 Like

At least KSP it’s super easy to run an older version.

The game has 0 DRM. You can copy your entire game folder somewhere else and it will always work.

1 Like

I can just imagine the scene:

“Yeah, we would give you this engine, one that is superior to the current one you have, but screw you, you didn’t buy the ultimate super-space micro-DLC, so stick with your little kiddie engine. Oh, what’s that? You’re making mods for KSP? Well, we just implemented the online, which is obviously superior to the single-player, and so we’re going to shut down your mod so everyone switches to the online! Oh, what’s that? Some guy keeps on crashing into your rocket? Well, you can always call technical support. Oh wait, the technical support is unreliable and repetitive, so you’re out of luck. What’s that? You got banned for no reason? Well we don’t care, at least we extracted every last penny from you!”

Might be a bit dramatic or something, but the point is mostly the same: Take Two is going to ruin KSP like they ruined the GTA V modding community. It’s only a matter of time before they put Triple XP packs or whatever to extract more money out of us, then ruin everything else that made KSP a great game. Good on the people for sticking it to them on the GTA V Steam page.

3 Likes

Yeah, you’ll get like 10 % of the science points you’d normally get in career mode, unless you pay $ 9.99 for an upgrade to 50 % or 29.99 for 100 %

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about mods for GTA… but I can safely say that the only reason modding is dead; is because they gave up.

For example; we all know piracy can’t be stopped. Not only are games cracked, but people also run pirate servers to play games. Good example is Battlefield 3. That game does not allow the hosting of servers. EA forces you to rent servers. Well, a lovely little utility allows you to run your own servers and play with others who own the game; legitimately or not. They even have their own server table in that utility for finding games. Oh, and they enabled modding in the game. The rented servers do not allow any alterations to even the game modes; let alone modding.

Modding will not die. Give them some time… someone will step up and do it.

Sure, it may never be quite as convenient as before, nor as legal… but that’s just the way it’s going to be.

I don’t know what will happen to Kerbal with the recent take-over… but it likely will involve more DLC and/or micro-transactions. They are making their first DLC; after all. The game’s had a long run though, and it’s drying up… so it is kind of to be expected that they would make either DLC or a sequel.
I don’t think they will do anything to hurt modding though. I can’t think of a game that’s owed more to mods than Kerbal; nor do I know of a game that has a larger modding community than Kerbal. It will continue; legally or not.

1 Like

what the hell.
The modding community is what keeps GTA IV and V alive, it’s a big mistake to take down openIV

1 Like

I can even think of a few games where mods were all that kept the game alive, such as Spintires, or even SLRR

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty sad that they decided to stop Open IV. I think there are other similar sofwares tho

All i can think of is SparkIV, but that’s for GTA4 only, and I’m not sure if it had any work done to it recently

$9.95 for extra 1000 delta V

3 Likes

Slight bit of extra news to add to this, It’s currently most likely that scripthook is also getting discontinued due to this, and the makers of Menyoo and i believe simple native trainer aswell have also gotten C&D’s

1 Like

Bruh wtf.
Next step is lodging a complaint against vehicle mod makers

1 Like

I do suppose it kind of started. If you try going to GTA4-mods.com (and gtagaming.com), you’ll find the site has been put into archive only mode with a goodbye message to greet you

1 Like

next one is gta-mods.com

you mean GTA5-mods.com? that linked to a survey site…