Home | Wiki | Live Chat | Dev Stream | YouTube | Archived Forums | Contact

Race Car Showcase

Nobody’s responded to my last post, and I apologize for the shameless double post, but here’s something that, along with the Williams FW14B, ignited my interest in F1 at a very early age: the 1992 Benetton B192.

With conventional suspension, a Cosworth V8 and a manual gearbox, it may have been underpowered and unsophisticated compared to the all-conquering Williams, but it gave Michael Schumacher his first-ever Grand Prix win (the last one ever, in fact, to be claimed by a car with a conventional H-pattern gearbox), more than 25 years ago. And it looks so much better than today’s hybrid monstrosities, with cleaner lines and better proportions overall.

Listen to it and the case for the FIA making natural aspiration mandatory again (no hybrid tech here!) will grow stronger by the second.

Here’s what Schumacher’s teammate at the time - current Sky Sports commentator Martin Brundle - had to say when he drove the car for the first time since retirement:

Surprised that there’s no mid-2000’s GT1 cars

Also this beast of a car

Always loved the sound of the LFA

I like the lines and proportions of early postwar midget racing cars. Imagine going 100mph+, on dirt, in traffic, with no cage. No thanks! Slightly less dangerous than being infantry.
midget%20carMidget-Racer-picmidgetracingmidgetcartraffic

Apologies for the double post, but this just happened and it’s a great story. Danny Thompson, son of motorsports legend Mickey Thompson, set a new record for piston powered vehicles on the salt in his dad’s 50 year old streamliner.

Jalopnik article

90’s JGTC was just the best.

This seems like the best place to mention this. I’ve been a fan of Randy Pobst since back in the Porsche days. I sent him the following PM via Facebook:

Hi Randy! Huge fan. I play this goofy computer game called Automation. It often has design challenges where users test the speed (and other stuffs) of their designs against other people playing the game. I would love it so much if I had your permission to use your name as my “factory driver” without being sued or hurting anynoe’s feelings. It’s a great community that loves cars. And mixes it with some odd gamer storytelling. I promise to never put you into compromising positions, and I will link to you and your sponsors every chance I get. Pretty please? Thanks for your time and consideration; if you say no you have not lost a fan. Much Love!

Greg

p.s. I recently entered a “Goodwood” competition where I used a driver named “Randy Pabst” and described him as “endlessly ebullient”. Everyone knows what I was aiming for… I enjoy so much your passion for motorsport and willingness to share it with all of us.

He replied (today):

Hi, Greg, just found this message. Please Use Randy F Pobst. Have fun and thanks for the kind words!

I am happier than a pig in mud right now. I got a PM from the legendary Randy Pobst! What a great guy. So, please meet my new driver:

Woohoo!!

Since Don Panoz recently passed away, I figured that now would be the right time to pay tribute to him and his company - with the outlandish Panoz Esperante GTR-1. Only one road car was built for the sake of FIA GT Championship homologation, and in fact you’re looking at it right here:

It shared nothing in common with the regular Esperante, except for its front-engined/rear-drive layout, which made it an outlier in a field full of mid-engined European exotics. Here’s the story behind it:

For those curious about its specs and results, check this out:

http://tech-racingcars.wikidot.com/panoz-esperante-gtr-1

As for the race car… I first heard about it in Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, where it was the most expensive car to buy (2 million credits?!), but can also be obtained for free by fully completing all 10 Arcade Mode time trials. So here it is being unleashed on a field of unsuspecting opponents in the game’s first event - the Sunday Cup - right after being acquired as a prize for completing every time trial at the start of the game.

Given that it’s a GT1 car, it should come as no surprise that it is a top-tier race car in this game - and well worth seeking out. The resale value of 500,000 credits is icing on the cake.