Real-Life Engine Recreations

If you’re going to add to this thread you should show the stats for the engine. Otherwise anyone looking at them won’t know what they are or what they’re supposed to be.

Just got MSI afterburner so I can actually take screenshots.

Here is le 360 Modena as seen in the 1999-2005 Ferrari Modena, Spider and Challenge Stradale. 3600cc flatpane v8

The intake isn’t the same, HOWEVER I put the weaker intake on to keep the power realistic. With the compression ratio and power band I needed It would have been rated much higher then its real life counterpart.

Some advice for you if you want to do accurate recreations:

Check Automobile-catalogue.com for accurate information.
PS and HP aren’t the same.
Increase valve-train quality to make torque come earlier.
If you go to the engines folder (My Documents, Automation, Engines), you can find the engine file and upload it the forum with the upload attachment button.

2002 Chevy LS6 (from a 2002 Chevy C5 Corvette Z06)

This recreation makes half a Nm too much torque and at 100 rpm too early, also it has slight reliability problems due to it’s real-life counterpart’s hypereutectic pistons being beyond what the game considers possible. I had the exact same problem with the LS7’s pistons and here’s a link to a Chevy crate engine site confirming the LS7 has hypereutectic pistons: chevrolet.com/performance/cr … s/ls7.html #IndividualQualitySlidersForBottomEndParts
Back to this recreation, the real thing most likely has a forged steel crank just like the LS7 and I-beam rather than H-beam conrods but I left it as is because that’s the way this recreation has been for months! I’m also unsure if the real thing has long tube headers and high-flow cats like my recreation has.
2002 Chevy LS6Rev1.lua (41.7 KB)

Announcement: Be sure that whenever the big update comes I (although maybe on a new account) will make the LS family of engines as soon as I possibly can and upload them, I mean I’ve already made all the LS engines (except the LS9 and LSA for what should be obvious reasons) but I’m quite sure the next big update will make now current build engines incompatible. I’ll start with the LS7 out of tradition (which BTW I’ve read doesn’t share the same block as the other LS engines), then move to the LS1, LS3 and the rest I recon I’ll do all in one post.

2014 Chevy LTG (from… I don’t know!)

Power comes 400 rpm too late and torque is meant to be flat between 3,000 to 4,600 rpm so… I kinda failed completely there… but the amounts are right!

I saw this new engine on Chevy’s website and felt like giving it ago, I have no idea what pistons, turbo size or inter-cooler (if any) it has so this is bound to be an unrealistic recreation. In fact who am I kidding? Of course it’s an unrealistic recreation, the real thing has a Twin-scroll turbocharger which isn’t even in the game yet! Anyway take it if you want, I felt excited enough to make this engine after I saw it was a DOHC 4 valve per cylinder engine.

Link for specs: chevrolet.com/performance/cr … inder.html
#IndividualQualitySlidersForBottomEndParts

2014 Chevy LTGRev0.lua (69.3 KB)

you made a Ferrari engine without twin intakes? Blasphemy!

As for the update, one advantage of the engine designer being on lock down is that the engine files work after updates. I have engines from last year that still load up.

[quote=“nialloftara”]you made a Ferrari engine without twin intakes? Blasphemy!

As for the update, one advantage of the engine designer being on lock down is that the engine files work after updates. I have engines from last year that still load up.[/quote]

If you’re talking about my Ferrari engine recreation then I did use twin throttle bodies, or if you’re talking about np1993’s then he went one step beyond and gave it throttle per cylinder just like what the picture of the real engine he also showed had. Now if you meant np1993 didn’t use performance intake (which would have showed twin air boxes and intake pipes) then I suppose you have a point, although np1993 has given his reasoning for using a standard intake. If you’d like me to try that engine to see if I can get any closer, let me know and I certainly will.

I also don’t get why you felt the need to tell me why (some) updates make old engines incompatible since I already knew and wasn’t even vaguely complaining about it.

The twin intake was towards np1993 and was meant as a joke next time I’ll use a little face :laughing: to make that clearer. As for mentioning the engine files in the update you’ve got a pretty popular thread here with over 2500 views, and just wanted it pointed out that unless there is a major overhaul of the engine designer, which isn’t predicted for at least a year, all our engine files will likely be safe. No stress dude, you’ve spent time building all these and I thought you’d be happy knowing there’s a really high chance of them still working after the update.

I think you’re wrong about the next update dude, with the whole engine families thing especially the max bore and stroke part of it there’s an extremely high chance the engines wont work after the update. Now I could be wrong about the next update including the engine families feature but I certainly don’t think it will take them over a year to introduce it, it already exists in the beta as shown in the Dev’s YouTube channel and it should only be a matter of weeks maybe a month before it’s made public.

And since you gave no word on if you wanted me to have a go at the Tipo F121 (360 Modena engine) I’ll just assume you don’t unless you reply saying otherwise.

Yes, the next update will have everything reset, the changes to the general structures is just too large, just as you point out. Also, we can’t invest time in making things compatible, that takes too much time away from development.

Good job on the Ecotec!!

Your 272 hp LTG Ecotec is from a Cadillac ATS and CTS, FYI. Specifically, the torque curve on yours is from the CTS, as seen below.

It also is used in the Chevy Malibu and Buick Regal, both at 259 hp.

[quote=“07CobaltGirl”]Good job on the Ecotec!!

Your 272 hp LTG Ecotec is from a Cadillac ATS and CTS, FYI. Specifically, the torque curve on yours is from the CTS, as seen below.

It also is used in the Chevy Malibu and Buick Regal, both at 259 hp.[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know what model that engine’s from, but would you by any chance know what pistons it has? I automatically assumed it had hypereutectic because that’s what every modern Chevy engine seems to have (with the one and only 21st century exception I can think of being the LS9) but with it being a Cadillac engine I could be wrong. With forged pistons, my LTG recreation would probably have only a quarter of it’s current production units.

GM says “lightweight cast aluminum”…

Even though the engines are unrelated, according to GM, the previous generation Ecotec turbos used low-friction cast pistons.

edit: As far as the production units are concerned, don’t worry about it. GM has “tech pool” that you don’t have in sandbox.

I can’t tell you about the LTG, as it is new and not much detailed information is available yet. It is a Gen III Ecotec. I can tell you, Gen II Ecotec engines used low-friction cast aluminum pistons, and it probably extends to the Gen III, as slim jim already noted. Gen II included the 2007 L61 (2.2L) (which I have), the LAP (2008+ 2.2L), the LE5 (2.4L), the LNF (2.0L Turbo), and the LE9/LAF/LEA (2.4L) here in the US. There are also others used in other countries and a few hybrids which aren’t worth mention. The LNF also has forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods, and is the primary predecessor to the LTG.

Well that’s worrying news, as is with Hypereutectic pistons my LTG recreation has +13 quality on the bottom end so going to low-friction cast will encounter reliability issues for sure. I’d be very happy to try one of those Gen II EcoTec engines you mentioned if you like, if so it’d be a great help if you could post the specs of the desired engine.

[quote=“Slim Jim”]GM says “lightweight cast aluminum”…

Even though the engines are unrelated, according to GM, the previous generation Ecotec turbos used low-friction cast pistons.

edit: As far as the production units are concerned, don’t worry about it. GM has “tech pool” that you don’t have in sandbox.[/quote]

While it is correct that GM would have a “tech pool” we’re talking about near maxed out pistons and in the case of the LS6, LS2, LS7, LS3 and LT1 beyond maxed out pistons (especially in the case of the LS7). Anyway thanks for the info.

The only really interesting one is the LNF. The LE5 isn’t bad either though. It won’t let me paste from automobile-catalog.com, so I’ll post what I can here.

LNF was used in 2009-10 Cobalt SS Coupes and Sedans, and 2009-11 HHR.

Block: Aluminum 4-cylinder
Head: Aluminum DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, VVT
Bore: 86mm
Stroke: 86mm
Displacement: 1998cc
Bottom End: Forged crank/rods, low-friction aluminum cast pistons
Exhaust: 2.5"
Fuel: Direct Injection
Power: 260hp @ 5300rpm
Torque: 260tq @ 2000rpm
Torque Curve: automobile-catalog.com/curve … coupe.html

None of this sounds super impressive, but this car cost under $25k and held a class record on the Nurburgring for a short time and turns a factory 1/4 mile time under 14s on relatively small 225/40R18 tires. I tried to make it work out myself, but could either match the RPM range or the power/torque range, but never really both at the same time. It’s a twin-scroll turbocharger, which might be the issue.

Yeah it would be the lack of a twin-scroll turbocharger, a twin-scroll turbocharger can change between two A/R ratios giving it the benefits of both low A/R early spool up and high A/R power. Anyway I’ll give it ago and see if I can get the right amount of power at the right rpm for according to a cobalt dedicated forum site, the LNF electronically adjusts it’s boost in order to maintain a steady 260 foot-pounds of torque.

Edit: Here it is, not a good recreation but it does make the right amount of power at the right rpm. If what’s said at cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf … si-120726/ is true about the LNF controlling it’s boost to make sure it never exceeds 260 foot-pounds of torque, then sadly we wouldn’t even be able to recreate it even with twin-scroll turbochargers.
2008 Chevy LNFRev0.lua (65 KB)

2012 Ford Coyote Road Runner (from a 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302):

Sorry if you think I’ve been uploading too many engines lately but… THIS RECREATION IS PERFECT!!! At least according to my favorite car specs source, automobile-catalog.com

Actually it could be argued that isn’t true, after taking another look at the specs of the 2012 Boss 302 on automobile-catalog it does indeed say it started production in 2011. But whatever I’ve already made the recreation twice and closed the game, also it’s early in the morning for me so I should really be getting some sleep now.

Now when I said I’ve recreated this engine twice, I’m making a reference to when I made it with my friend for the video on our YouTube channel. I was the “friend” who started the recreation in that video and after having a second crack at the engine on mine own at my house it would seem letting Corvette6317 himself take over was a mistake, anyway here’s a link to that recreation video if you wanna check it out: youtube.com/watch?v=5xWRhth … esjeBLCzaw

2012 Ford Boss 302Rev1.lua (46.7 KB)

1977 Porsche M28 (from a European spec 1977 Porsche 928)

Power comes 50 rpm too late and torque comes 100 rpm too late.
1977 Porsche 928 Engine (Euro)Rev0.lua (39.7 KB)

Remember the LT5? It was in production from 1989 to 1995 and remains (to my knowledge) the only non-OHV engine in a production corvette, why is that? Well I’ve heard Chevrolet thinks OHV is better than (D)OHC because of reasons such as OHV engines having a lower center of gravity and it’s more compact allowing them to fit a higher displacement engine in the same engine bay. Whatever the true reason is I recon it’s time they made another LT5 DOHC NA monster, perhaps one like this:2016 Chevy LT5Rev1.lua (46.3 KB)

Made with the same bore and stroke as the classic 454 big block, this thing makes a decent 103.4 HP per litre.

On the other hand if you want a recreation of the old LT5, here’s an old one I made ages ago:1993 Chevy LT5Rev1.lua (45.9 KB)It’s not all that accurate and that’s partly because I was building it according to these specs: thevettenet.com/corvette_specs.php?year=1993

Unlike automobile-catalog which claims the LT5 redlines at 6,300 rpm thevettenet claims it redlines all the way at 7,100 rpm, meaning I couldn’t lower the valve-train quality (without valve-float occurring) like I needed to do in order to make the power come earlier and the torque later. Both sites agree power comes at 5,800 (compared to my recreation’s 6,200) however they disagree on where the torque comes, automobile-catalog says 5,200 while thevettenet says 4,800 (compared to my recreation’s 3,900).