Realism Challenge 5- Super Economy Car

so where is my entry…[quote=“CamKerman, post:147, topic:16590”]
(well most of them anyway, some cars did not install correctly and thus were missing 75% of their engine)
[/quote]

If this is the case why were the competitors not advised earlier as this is a problem on your end not ours!? this is the second time that you have not completed the challenge rather you half arsed it not happy at all. especially when the car entered has had 6+ hours of time spent on it. This is twice you have pulled this dude, was it just my car or were there others that you didn’t bother to review or contact entrants especially with such a long deadline set.

4 Likes

Well, I do sincerely apologise for anyone whos car did not get reviewed in this challenge, I was a fault on my part, copying files does get frustrating, anyway, the next challenge will be starting in a few hours.

Sure thing! Here you go mate

@abg7 Our designs were actually quite similar I also used a 2.4 litre turbo four. Although I didn’t have all wheel drive and my design was a little more basic chassis and suspension setup.

3 Likes

Your engine was 1cc bigger than the Harris

In short, while I threw in the kitchen sink with the Sparrow R, @Rk38 went for a more back-to-basics approach - the cost saved gave him the win.

And judging by the recent renaming of this thread, we will leave behind the relative sanity of mass-market stuff and head for the stratosphere in the next challenge. :slight_smile:

Also, with the amount of leeway we are about to be given, I have several ideas for my next entry. I am not sure right now whether to use eight or twelve cylinders - either engine configuration seems equally tempting right now, turbocharged or not.

Finally, I am currently assuming that we will build our cars in the current year (2016) unless @CamKerman tells us otherwise - building a classic grand tourer is an intriguing prospect for us.

And now, for the 3rd challenge, you must build a fast and luxurious GT car.
It must:
Have no less than 8 cylinders
Not have forced induction
Have an engine no smaller than 4997cc
Have a Premium/sport (quality +5) or Luxury interior
Have a 50% markup
Have less than 5 seats
It can (new section hype):
Have 4 doors
Have both XP and FP V8s (XP preferable)
You Must-
Naming is the same as the other 2 challenges, but the number is 3 (example- Real Challenge 3–insert-name-here-
The maximum cost is $120,000
Model year 2013-2016 for current models,1990-2005 for older models and 1951-1972 for restored (Restored models will receive 1.5x bonus to match the performance of current models) models
Good Luck, the deadline is 25th August!
Oh btw- this is the model entry

1 Like

Right up my sleeve. Normal aspiration (a nod to old-school enthusiasts), >5 liters with at least 8 cylinders, <5 seats, sub-120k with a 50% markup… As an expert in building high-end cars I should have little trouble with this, but I would like to see others give it their all as well - only five cars were successfully submitted in the previous round.

Also, must the entrants all be front-engined, rear-drive? And what fuel types are required for modern entries? Unless we are told otherwise, I will use 95 octane If I decide to submit a modern GT, which I am most comfortable with.

this[quote=“CamKerman, post:157, topic:16590”]
Have both XP and FP V8s (XP preferable)
[/quote]

and this

contradicts…

did you mean V8 only?

I think he meant he’s allowing any type of crank in the V8s, but is also allowing V12s.

Exactly

I used 95 Octane in my model entry (see rule post) with a 6.5l V12

Count me in for this. I have a few entries that could be good entrants

I have updated the rules, you can now build Viper esque cars from 1990-2005 if you so wish (the model entry is a 2002)

1 Like

Is hand made acceptable for interior?

I don’t think so, but a luxury interior can be used. Premium and sport interiors require +5 quality or more.

Now here is my entry, the NMC Python GTS. As the first entrant to submit a vehicle I have thrown down the gauntlet with this insane offering of mine:

The GTS is the flagship version of NMC’s all-alloy grand tourer, the Python. A high-quality luxury interior and entertainment suite allow its two occupants to cross whole continents in comfort, and a well-sorted suspension setup with semi-active dampers and sway bars combines a compliant ride with excellent roadholding.

Under the hood of the GTS is a dry-sumped 7.2-liter normally aspirated V12 with a magnesium block and aluminum/silicon heads. Developing 766 bhp at 7800 rpm, and with a redline of 8200 rpm, this monster of an engine powers the rear wheels through a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox and electronic LSD. A fat torque curve makes for effortless cruising, and active aero keeps the car planted on the ground at any speed.

With a top speed of 220 mph, an 0-60 mph time of exactly four seconds, 1.29g of lateral acceleration and near-perfect 49.5/50.5 weight distribution, the Python GTS disguises its near-two-ton kerb weight very easily. A lap time of 1:14.43 around the Airfield Track is to be expected even from such a heavy car, but 7:29.43 around the Green Hell is surprisingly fast for something of its size and is genuine proof of its breadth of ability.

Even at an estimated price of $73050 with markups the NMC Python GTS is still well under the $120k cost limit, and pound for pound is definitely one of the best, if not the best, grand tourers on the market.

This vehicle was created using the current stable release and runs on 95 octane unleaded, which is the highest grade of fuel commonly available in Fruinia, allowing it to be sold there, despite high running costs due to its high-displacement engine. Due to its extreme performance, it also easily qualifies as both a supercar and a hypercar. A wide range of exterior and interior colors is available; the car shown here is finished in Imperial Crimson, a deep metallic red, although customers can even specify their own color combinations at extra cost, right down to the paint finish and interior material types.

Note: unlike @koolkei, I did not misspell Python; this will help avoid any confusion between a luxury grand tourer and a four-cylinder compact.

1 Like

Presenting the 1990 Bogliq Envoy GT!!!

Fast, powerful and stylish, the Envoy GT was built to take a driver and their 3 passengers wherever they wanted without compromise. As with most Bogliq models, the Envoy hasn’t sacrificed driver involvement for convenience, with the Envoy packing a rifle-bolt smooth 5 speed manual.

The Envoy GT also used less fuel than most of its competitors as Bogliq’s ethos is to maximise the levels of fun derived from every drop of petrol. This is why the Envoy is tuned for 95RON; decent availability and relative cheapness compared to the far more exotic 98RON just made available made it a no-brainer!

As for handling prowess?

The Envoy GT weighed under 1700kg and had nearly 500Kw so it was going to be fast, but when the Envoy achieved an 8 minute lap of the Green Hell, Bogliq’s engineers were ecstatic! No-one expected the bad boy from behind the Iron Curtain to do so well…

And what did this magical mix of speed, refinement and handling cost?

$75900 driveaway :heart_eyes:

A lot for a Bogliq but a small sum to own a piece of Bogliq automotive history! :sunglasses:

Buy better, buy Bogliq!

1 Like

who ever said i misspelled it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@CamKerman Do you think you could either update the OP, or link the new rule set in the OP?

I’ve got one of my production cars ready, all depends on whether hand made interior is acceptable or not.

Your car is called Phyton, not Python - I remember the Fighter variant as the overall winner of the ARTC (American Road Trip Challenge), hosted by @asdren.

If a hand made interior (as proposed by @BobLoblaw) is not permitted, just go with a luxury interior as I and @HighOctaneLove did. For the record, my Python GTS is, somewhat surprisingly, better value for money than the Envoy, with a 21st century interior and infotainment suite, and also a superior performer overall, as well as being slightly cheaper to boot.

Also, until I realized the point of this challenge, I also considered submitting a cheaper, lighter version of the Python, the Clubsport R, with a fixed manually adjustable rear wing, powered by a six-liter cross-plane V8 and fitted with a six-speed manual gearbox and conventional mechanical LSD. However, although this version was more reliable, I doubt it would have been as effective as the one I submitted due to the emphasis on comfort and prestige required for this challenge, and wouldn’t have been as fast anyway:

I believe @HighOctaneLove went for SOHC for cost and reliability reasons, but my newer and smaller direct-injected DOHC engine redlines a whole 1300 rpm later - not surprising since a quarter-century separates these engines. But an 8-minute time around the Green Hell must have been incredible by 1990 standards, although the negative downforce on your entry must have made it feel very scary indeed. And my PM to @CamKerman only contained the V12-powered GTS - the V8-powered, manual transmission-equipped Clubsport R, with its sport interior (+5 quality as stipulated by the rules) is not part of the export file I sent to him, although if this contest were about building FIA GT3 homologation specials the Clubsport R would have been preferable due to its track-focused nature, but that’s not the be-all and end-all of this challenge, so twelve cylinders it was for my submission.

In addition, I used 95RON unleaded for the same reason as @HighOctaneLove - if I had gone for 91RON regular fuel, I would have had to sacrifice some power and economy by decreasing the compression ratio, and although regular unleaded is widely available in Archana, I doubt any customers there would be able to afford the Python GTS at the $73K post-markup price. Conversely, choosing 98RON super unleaded would have allowed me to increase the compression ratio even further, thus improving economy and output, but this high-octane fuel is only commonplace in Gasmea, hence my decision to stick with 95RON premium fuel.