Replica vs Real world emission taxes

There have been several competitions (CSR and the like) on the forum using spreadsheets to work out tax brackets/rates/classes and stuff, so, I have a question for those of you living in Europe (I’m assuming there are a LOT of you). With any replicas you’ve made, have you compared them to IRL and seen if they end up being taxed similarly? I am curious, as some of you are VERY good at the engineering part of this game.

1 Like

It very, very, very much depends on the country and era. The car taxes in Europe depend (or used to) on engine displacement, power, cylinder count, bore, emissions and probably other things, all in various ways. All I can say for sure is about Polish taxes, and those are pretty straightforward and have always been, AFAIK - everything over 2.0 gets much higher sales tax (23% VAT + 18,6% excise vs 23+3,1), and that’s all, we don’t have road taxes here or anything like that. Since quite recently hybrids (including those laughable mild ones…) are exempt from increased excise or don’t have it at all, I’m not sure.

So, yeah, my replica is taxed exactly the same, and I guess it would be in most of Europe - the engine has exactly the same dimensions and power.

PS Oh, yeah, and there’s the insurance, usually higher for engines over 2.0 too, but those calculations aren’t published, so there’s no way to really know how those work.

He’s right, Belgians, Britishs and Frenchs (the 3 examples I know) have very different way to tax cars.

In some european countries it’s a yearly tax, some only at purchase, some both depending on the case.

For the french, 20%VAT for the first purchase to a dealer, pay a premium depending on the emission based on a scale that changes every year, then you have to pay for the roadtax which depends on the fiscal power of the car which has a relation to the actual power of the engine rated in CV (chevaux hence the Citroen 2CV), Then you’re done until you sell it or you bin it.

If your car’s emissions are above a certain limit you have a yearly tax depending on another scale…

The fiscal power used to be simple to calculate, bore,stroke,number of cylinders and revs under a certain weight.

In 1998 it depended on emissions like this:

PF = (CO2 / 45) + (P / 40) *1,6

Légende
PF = Fiscal Power
CO2 = Carbon Dioxide emissions (gr/Km)
P = Engine power in kW (1 ch = 0,736 kW)

Now it depends only on the power of the engine

Source:https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheval_fiscal

2 Likes

I know, that’s what made me ask. I was looking at this https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/CO2-based_motor_vehicle_taxes_EU-2019.pdf.
I’m so glad those “rules” don’t exist in Australia, yet… with my 4.0L using 16L/100Km, I’d be broke before I got to work.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

In France you wouldn’t be able to afford a GT86!

30K€ purchase price + 20K€ of taxes :rofl:

At the current exchange rate, that’s $81K AUD. Quite a bit more than I make in a year.

50K is 2.5 times what I make in a year :rofl: