Retro Racing Game Appreciation Thread

Quick Update: started playing PGR4’s campaign from scratch last night & I’m already about half way through. I’m either extremely good at it or I have too much time on my hands, not sure which but likely the latter.

3 Likes

Are you playing it on an Xbox 360? I still have my disc copy of the game, but I haven’t seen a functional Xbox 360 in years.

Pro Am. To be really fair, racing games was ALWAYS the weak spot of the NES (even Sega and home computers of the time did them better), and very few NES games regardless of category can be played today just for pure fun rather than nostalgia, but I can still play Pro Am to beat countless of hours just for fun. A somewhat forgotten masterpiece IMO.

3 Likes

Oh man, that was one of the earliest racing games I’ve ever played. I still find myself humming the theme song for it.

1 Like

Yes I am. Great fun, I’m playing on a 360 slim

Yeah, y’all can tell my age with this one.

No lie, this game made me grow hair on my chest. The later races was utter chest pains; however, it started the growth for my crazy ass reflexes.

The only Burnout game that I haven’t beaten yet. That F1 grand prix made me hang up the sticks. I need to go back and beat this.

2 Likes

The game I started gaming (and my car adiction) with. Pretty nice simulator even though my younger self couldn´t stay on track for long enough. There´s also the Colin McRae videogames, pretty good stuff.

3 Likes

One of the best intros of the early 90s, and the game that made me fall in love with the Esprit as a kid! Still want one, of course…

3 Likes

Re-Volt_Coverart

Here’s another of my favorites: Revolt.
It was a R/C car racing game that sucked up many hours of my youth.

2 Likes

It may not have been the best racing game, but it’s quite fun and the soundtrack and the enviroments are still one of the most memorable that I’ve seen in any game.

1 Like

Basically one of my childhood games! A crazy one, very arcady (as it was an arcade game that got ported lol)

With these next two, you might be able to tell what generation I’m from with this array :smile:

3 Likes

The Davilex Racer series as a whole (London/Europe/USA/A2/Autobahn Racer, plus the Police/Destruction Madness spin-offs) wasn’t very good, if I’m honest, but at least it wasn’t a total trainwreck, thanks to some great track designs and environments.

As for you @Maverick74, I have to agree on this one:

It was the same for me, although due to 32-bit console hardware limitations, it was best experienced in PC game format (unless you have the mobile version, of course - I know such a port exists). But no matter which version you were playing, it not only had a track creator/editor, but also a killer techno soundtrack reminiscent of Ridge Racer or Wipeout - and this was my favorite song from the whole game:

Speaking of Re-Volt, its sequel, RC Revenge, especially the PS2 port (which bore the Pro subtitle) is also a genuinely good game in its own right - here’s some footage in case you haven’t heard about it:

Stop the press: @Aruna you have every reason to love TDU2 as much as I do. Even more expansive than the original, it wasn’t great at launch, but has been saved by fan-made patches and mods such as the Autopack. I still prefer the first game, though, especially after it too received a fan-made mod of its own, simply called Platinum:

And now that Kylotonn is developing a third game, titled Solar Crown, now might be a great time to revisit either of the first two games - preferably with said mods installed - to remind us what was almost lost forever when original developers Eden Studios closed down a few years ago. Now that I have managed to think about it, the reason becomes a lot clearer:

Eden did exactly that with TDU 2 by omitting entire manufacturers that had been present in the first game, or at least some of their more memorable vehicles (presumably due to licensing issues) - but as I have stated before, modders have managed to put them back in. An example is the A80 Toyota Supra Turbo, whose manufacturer wasn’t in the game to begin with:

The Lamborghini Aventador also wasn’t initially present either, but it too has finally been reintroduced through modding to the relief of the fanbase:

And the Ferrari F12 also didn’t make the cut even as DLC, due to the game’s lack of initial success - although yet again, a fan-made mod has added it to the game’s growing list of vehicles:

Let’s hope that in the years following its release, Solar Crown also receives plenty of attention from modders, hopefully filling any holes in its car list - if they exist at all.

2 Likes

I just hope and pray they do not mess things up, like how when EA tried to make NFS 2015 a throwback to older games.

I couldn’t leave this one unmentioned, even if this is probably pushing the limits of what could be considered retro

1 Like

That game was the successor to PGR4 in a way, I’m yet to try it tbh

As a fellow TDU2 lover, I agree completely. TDU2 is getting a Platinum-style mod called TDU World very soon too, which will revive multiplayer, improve the physics and add an expansive car pack of its own! It is supposed to release in Q1 of this year and supposedly is still on schedule to do so. The TDU franchise was something special we haven’t seen the likes of since, can’t wait for what TDU Solar Crown has to bring!

2 Likes

There hasn’t been a new PGR since 2007, and I have proposed a reason why: shortly after the release of PGR4, Microsoft sold Bizarre Creations, the developers of the series ever since the very beginning, to Activision, and since no other developer owned by Microsoft at the time could do what they did, it killed the franchise stone dead right there and then. Worse yet, after the sale, Activision began meddling so much in Bizarre’s development processes that they drained the life out of the studio in a matter of months.

To their credit, Bizarre did manage to come up with a spiritual successor to PGR. The resulting game, titled Blur, was basically PGR with Mario Kart-esque weapons thrown in. However, it sold very poorly - and it wasn’t due to poor quality, but bad timing, as this article recounts in vivid detail:

https://www.gtplanet.net/undeserved-failure-split-second-blur-modnation-racers/

To make matters worse, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2010 managed to do everything that Blur did, only better, thereby making it seem old hat by comparison, despite Activision beating EA to the punch by a few months. Combined with the tragic failure of 007: Blood Stone, it led to the closure of Bizarre Creations, taking a proposed sequel to Blur - which would have been even crazier by introducing the ability to drive up buildings(!) - with it.

As for the game itself, it’s an underrated gem, and one that deserves more attention. Here’s some gameplay footage for those who have not played or even heard of it yet:

3 Likes

I felt that Driveclub was the closest spiritual successor to PGR4. That said, I didn’t try the game until years after release when it was like a $5 game, but playing it on “realistic” handling, plus the selection of cars and locations, felt very much like PGR4.

3 Likes

I bought it recently and while it doesn’t quite capture the same magic or passion within me as PGR4, it’s definitely a solid game and is the closest a game has come to capturing that magic since Forza Horizon 2 probably

2 Likes