Road Rally - 1952 Corso di Fruinia [FINAL RESULTS]

Unless I misread the stats, 1+2 is lighter than two full size seats.

I did miss that, presumably becuase you sent it when I was downloading your car in the previous message.

One number has already been taken, and I am going to let that car have it because that one actually has the number on the actual car - another reason I missed it on your cars.

A seat is a seat, bucket or bench like.

3 Likes

there wasn’t longer and more complicated names ? :smiley:

2 Likes

Aeros is offering four different vehicles to privateer teams for the Corso di Fruinia, in addition to entering their own factory prototype.

From left to right:

#47 Aeros Jackrabbit (2200-3299cc): 201ci V8 (162 hp, 206 lb-ft) Privateer
#388 Aeros Badger (3300+cc): 387ci V8 (297 hp, 381 lb-ft) Privateer
#62 Aeros S Van (800-1399cc): 85ci boxer 4 (75 hp, 88 lb-ft) Privateer
#114 Aeros Wombat (1400-2199cc): 118ci boxer 6 (115 hp, 115 lb-ft) Privateer
#46 Aeros Shrew (0-799cc): 46ci inline-3 (59 hp, 48 lb-ft) Factory

2 Likes

Well, there is also the Boccaccino Silvanae Berlina Edizione Speciale di Super Lusso, but that is more luxury oriented and heavier :stuck_out_tongue:

Could I get some lore with that, as in where Aeros is produced, what their purpose is, whether or not they were modified for the corso or not and to what extent? Either here or via PM.

Your company thread doesn’t immediately help with that…

Take note, it’s not a critique towards you, because in general and for everyone, none of this is obligatory, but while driving all your cars takes some time, it’s entertaining. The issue comes when you need to process the results in written form and want to write something extra than merely “the car spun.”, "nothing of note happened’, “they lost some time with a technical issue”.

Then some lore helps me to write “The Franco-Italian developed car is progressing well. As with the road going version the handling seems stable and our driving duo Périgaut and Martella do well to balance speed and prudence on the unpaved roads of rural Fruinia. The concerns that were voiced about the home-tuned engine however turned out to be correct, as Martella needs to undertake some emergency repairs halfway through the Fruinian mountains. Despite the reliable base of the factory boxer-4 French engine, the more high strung tune in combination with the frequent steep climbs is taking its toll.”

3 Likes

Ok. So, feel free to choose number for the Marcello.

1 Like

I was lurking in shadows for some time, seeing this event in main page made me think, maybe i should give it a try and get back to Automation forums again.

I’m not yet ready for going fully with huge suitcase called Lore but for now some screens of cars and PM with .car files for event host should be enough for now. (I’m not yet familiar with whole Lore stuff in this forums, so any tips would be helpful on PMs)

First contender:
Lutoza Concept vehicle No. 001
1395cc I4
# 130

Second contender:
Lutoza Concept vehicle No. 002
3.0L V8
# 166

4 Likes

Early 1952, Bramble HQ, Middlesbrough, UK

“Bob, we have a problem.” The person who the sentence was directed at looked up from his own desk.

“What?”

Samuel just turned the official looking letter around;

To Bramble Motors,
     Please finalise your driver lineup for the 1952 Corso di Fruinia within 1 week. Failure to comply will result
in the unconditional retirement of all cars in the Bramble team. This is your last warning.
Love,
The organisers.

“Well, we best get on with it!” Exclaimed Robert, grabbing 6 random files from his desk, “There we go, sorted.”

“…We need 8 people mate.”

Robert just stared at Samuel.

And stared.

And…well, you get the idea.

It’s at this point a secretary walked in, only to blink in confusion at the stare one of the most powerful people in the company gave the other, who just said one word,

“…Bugger”

Team Bramble AKA 4 Countries

In the #93 Condo Sprint;

Name: Seaton Hill
Nationality: N. Irish
This calm and soft-spoken individual is intensely competitive behind the wheel, leading to Bramble entrusting the smallest, and easiest to control car to him. Doesn’t seem to mind too much, as he seems to be able to get anything airborne, including a tank!

Name: Lloyd Collins
Nationality: N. Irish
An adventurer more well known for not dying rather than any driving skill, Lloyd has spent almost a decade in hostile environments, and is hoping his map reading and improvising can help the Condo to a class win.

In the #95 Bramble Bismuth 6;
Name: Alasdair Parks
Nationality: Scottish
This apprentice is probably regretting entering, because nothing says “Don’t screw up” like giving your most powerful car to the youngest team member, and the only one in your employment….
That being said, he has proved himself to be a very precise driver, although time will tell if he can be with this monster.

Name: Ewen Burke
Nationality: Scottish
Ewen is the only person on any Bramble who doesn’t drive a car – He’s more about motorbikes. However, he more than makes up for this by being successful on the bike, with the most skilled fingers in the team – if anyone can fix it, Ewen can.

In the #96 Bramble Envoy;
Names: Tomos and Finn Greenwood
Nationality: Welsh
Ages: 25 and 28 respectively
This brother team are constantly at each other’s throats (Sometimes literally…),but pull through when the going gets tough. They have experience with Brambles – they learnt to drive in a Phoenix, the first Bramble model.

Finally, in the #97 Bramble Bismuth;
Name: Robert ‘Bob’ Chamberlain
Nationality: English
Co-founder of Bramble, Robert is the one with the ideas and the money that meant the company could be born in the first place. It does have to be said that not all his ideas are any good, although he does have flashes of brilliance. Thanks to the Royal Engineers, does know how to survive being stranded in the desert…

Name: Samuel Moore
Nationality: English
The other Co-founder of Bramble, Samuel is the more level headed one, usually in charge of the books and mechanicals of any design. He learnt his trade during WW2, fixing all manner of army vehicles. His ideas regularly work, but don’t have the…’flair’ of his partners.

10 Likes

What do you mean by “total price”? The one under “Margin” in Testing → Markets?

Yes, the market price at 0% mark up.

Thank you for highlighting that. After testing I’ve come up with a scoring system. I should detail it (principle stays the same).

Basically:

• per class: 10-8-6-4-3-2-1 points for best time

• per class: 10-8-6-4-3-2-1 points for best relative value [calculated via (base number - time)/price]; so the fastest time for the cheapest car gets the most points.

• between classes: points given above, in case of draw, fastest time wins.

6 Likes

Giusseppe il Bastardo di Ferrari assembled a rag-tag racing team to help promote his fledgling automobile company. For races, he would travel with 2 race built versions of his G220 Roadster. These differed from the production version, in that they were built on a space frame chassis, and were tuned for rapid acceleration (although quite cheaply made). He entered the Corso di Fruinia, with the hopes that people would see the Giusseppe brand, and buy his cars. While registering, he noticed that there was a category for cars with 799 cc and smaller engines. He told his engineer, Inigo, to hold his spot in line. He purchased a motorcycle from a local shop, and entered the team’s backup car, as #798. He took the 798cc V twin motor from the cycle, but had trouble mating it to the car’s transmission. He modified it, so that the engine headers laid flat, creating a box 4 engine. With 2 cars entered, the Giusseppe team looked like this:

Driver> Francisco Martino … Fruinia
Mechanic> Giovanni Rizzo … Fruinia

Driver> Giusseppe il Bastardo di Ferrari … Italy
Engineer> Inigo Montoya … Spain

Except for the number, both cars look roughly the same.

4 Likes

Following the warm reception of the 1951 Minnie in Latin America, Wisconsin Motors built their first factory in Querataro, Mexico and was considering expanding their lineup in these and other foreign markets. To build prestige and brand awareness, the AeroMouse (RatonAereo) would be their next product, albeit with an engine lineup more conducive to foreign tax laws. The 1952 Corso di Fruinia was a great opportunity to test these new drivetrains on real roads, under the stresses of racing. It was also an opportunity to test and further refine their planned Carrera Panamerica entries. The AeroMouse pioneered WM’s use of a longitudinal fwd layout, a technology that would go on to be used on other WM small car models in the 1950’s. The Carrera Panamerica cars feature a 4WD system adapted from the larger Angler edition Earl, and would go on to compete in Baja racing as well.

RatonAereo #654 is powered by a prototype thin wall Hurricane triple, which would be introduced in a slightly larger form in 1955. This example measues 799cc.

RatonAereo #657 is powered by an experimental boxer 6,known around the shop as the “ProtoPancake”, based on Hurricane internals and valvegear it’s essentially two horizontally opposed triples.

AeroMouse Panamerica #694 is being fielded by Kohlberg Co, another Wisconsin manufacturer under the Cheesehead Holdings banner. It’s powered by a 2.2L flat four adapted from their industrial lawnmower. Conversion to OHV from its previous sidevalve arrangement was engineered by WM.

AeroMouse Panamerica #53140 uses a Meyers OHV V8-60 sourced from a California hot rod shop. This is the chassis currently being developed for the Carrera Panamerica.

AeroMouse Panamerica #53142 is a privateer entry, based on the Panamerica car but fitted with a 303cid Oldsmoburble Rocket V8.

Lore

4 Likes

1400-2199cc class

Bowen Family Automotive Workshop: #28 Bowen mk1 2200 Prototype

Built by brothers Damien and Morgan Bowen, this little sports coupé is their first step into the automotive world. The car uses the engine and gearbox from a wrecked Wolseley 6/80 they managed buy for cheap, and features a hand-crafted aluminium body on a ladder frame chassis. While it may be down on power compared to the competition, the brothers are confident that the carefully tuned handling will be more than enough to compensate.

The Team

Morgan Bowen: The older brother, and the most mechaincally inclined. Did most of the mechanical design and was the one who tracked down the power plant. Will be the navigator.
Damien Bowen: The younger brother, and the most skilled driver. Drove their car to several podiums in local hillclimb events prior to the rally and worked tirelessly to fine-tune the handling. Will be the driver.

The Car

#28 Bowen mk1 2200 Prototype '52
(pictures coming soon :tm: )
Engine:
Modified Morris OHC inline-6: ported and polished cylinder heads; re-sleeved cylinders reducing displacement from 2215cc to 2155cc, reground camshaft, re-cast pistons to accommodate smaller bore and raise compression; custom intake manifold with triple single-barrel carburettors; stainless steel tubular exhaust headers.
Drivetrain:
Modified Morris 4-speed manual with custom gear ratios, open differential.
Chassis:
Ladder frame steel with double a-arms up front, four-link coil-sprung solid axle rear, aluiminium body.

5 Likes

The LSVRT team

798cc LSV Mark RS (Race Special)
Unlike the normal model the rs model has a beefier engine and a added horizontal grille to provide more cooling.

1398cc LSV Mark '‘Nuts’n’Bolts’'
This Mark model is based on the RS Mark, but this special edition was built within a short period of time so most of the car was assembled with visible bolts to save time and resources.

5 Likes

The 1952 Meijer Azure 1398cc #869

Stats:
0-100 km/h: 15,9 s
100-0 km/h: 52,6 m
Top speed: 146 km/h
Weight: 913 kg
Engine: 1398 cc 68 hp S82 12P-RDF

History:
The 1952 Azure 1398cc was purposely build for the 800cc to 1399cc class of the 1952 Rally di Fruinia. The design team went through several engine design but ended up with a reliable enough pushrod V12 making 68hp.
Download:
Meijer Azure - 1398cc.car (21.4 KB)

More info: Old Meijer Thread (Mods please delete) - #10 by TheAlmightyTwingo

3 Likes

BAM Racing

BAM is entering the Rally with three cars, all in almost unchanged production spec in order to prove the sporty yet robust designs. The first ever model, the Paginza, is starting with two different engine configurations: the 2.0 liter and the 2.8 liter inline 6 engines. The Regana obviously is no contender for a win, coming with very heavy and luxurious interior and the large 4.0 liter engine. But it probably has one of the most relaxed drivers inside.

#620 BAM Paginza 620 CS

#628 BAM Paginza 628 C

#640 - BAM Regana 640

Scuderia Cisalpina

The Cisalpina light sports car shed of course takes part in the event on their home turf. Two cars are entered: The first Cisalpina ever from 1950, the 1.4 liter Tipo 50, and the very nimble follow-up model from 1952, the Superleggera 750, which is starting in the smallest class.
The cars are deemed to be sporty enough, so no special preparation for the race has been done.

#50 - Cisalpina Tipo 50

#750 - Cisalpina Superleggera 750

19 Likes

me: * sees that BAM are entering *
me:

11 Likes

Well, here it goes - Eagle Motors (probably soon to be renamed) enters the competition. While right now I don’t have enough time nor cars to establish full lore, I think it’s a good time to at least write about some basics. My company generally focuses on building light sports cars with FF layout and small, high-revving inline engines. As you will soon see, there are some exceptions to that.

#212 - Eagle 202 (class 1400cc to 2199cc)

A fairly balanced car in terms of cost vs performance. This is a rally variant with retuned engine, giving it 30HP more than the stock sports variant. While the high-revving 2.2 I4 SOHC engine packs quite a punch for the car’s weight, it can be easily controlled due to the stable and predictable FF layout. This is the company’s main contender, and also the only car with its number painted on the side due to white paint shortages.

#102 - Eagle 102 (class below 799cc)

A true abomination. Hastily put together using chassis and suspension of a budget offroad truck, body of a city car and a race-spec engine. Insane power output for its class, soft suspension and RWD should prove themselves advantageous on bumpy parts of the stages - especially if dirt or gravel comes into the equasion.

#112 - Eagle 112E (class 800cc to 1399cc)

A very cheap and reliable stock sports car. Medium power output for a 1.4 liter engine, FF layout and low weight. Most likely the safest out of all my entries - won’t crash, won’t break down, won’t get a good time.

#802 - Eagle 802 (class above 3300cc)

This is a stock hyper-performance car. Lots of power and fuel consupmtion rivalling small ships. Inside its long chassis, a true monster is lurking - an inline 6 engine the size of a small city car, and with enough power to move a tank. Is it safe to drive? Most likely not, but 4-wheel drive definitely helps with putting all that power down on the road.

That is all. While Eagle Motors has small chances for a high place in the leaderboard, the company’s engineers hope that all the cars will at least behave as planned and described above.

3 Likes

:thinking: