Rock of Ages (edit)

This competition is fairly straight forward. You’re give a body and and engine of two completely different eras to put together. The winners will be chosen on looks and race time.

So your great uncle Ned died, and for reasons known only to him, he decides to bequeath to you what’s left of his truck. Now, what it is, noone is really sure, but we do know it’s from 1943, and has no engine or gearbox. Unfortunately, you is broke. Like. So deep in debt you can’t afford to pay attention.

What you do have, however, is a blown engine from a '94 Honda Civic Si. Which is a D16Z6. So you must build a 1.6L 4 cylinder engine to match those specs. Which has a bore and stroke of 75 x 90 mm respectively. (2.95 x 3.54 in)

You will be aloud to to do any level of tuning to this engine that any broke high school kid can do. So bolt on exhausts and intake. Maybe even ripping out the Rev-Limiter.

The body must remain as close to stock as you think looks the part. No after-market suspension, and it must be made of steel.

I really hope to turn this into a series, so any input will be appreciated. Entry cut-off is Jan 30th at noon.

EDIT: Shit you guys whine a lot.

How about this. Assuming you built the engine to proper stock specs, using only tubular exhaust, it should come to about $816. Do whatever mods you want as long as it doesn’t exceed $1000.

The vehicle itself should total under $8k (no mark up) when built. lets give you another $1k to tweak and mod.

No quality sliders.

So we can choose any truck body from 1943? if so does that include Barth bodies and SUV type bodies?

No Barth or Rear engines, It must at least SEEM realistic.

It would be easier for us competitors if you supplied the base engine. I don’t know what a D16Z6 has for stock vvl/vvt or compression or general fuel system, so if you just supplied a base engine and said “change these” or “don’t change these” That would make it a bit smoother I think.

3 Likes

At least provide more specs for the engine.

Edit: What is considered aftermarket suspension? Are we building in 1943 because that will affect things like tire availability and sizes? I don’t know any place today that sells tires from 1943 so it seems a modern tire replacement is in order.

Edit 2: Honda Civic SI engine is transversely mounted and the transmission would not work in a RWD, so what transmission specs should we use?

What kind of broke high school student has the money to have engine mounts and such custom made for putting a civic engine into a 1940’s pickup? what kind of broke high school student has money for an engine swap or any custom work done on their car for that matter. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@lukerules117 Ever heard of the show called Roadkill?

2 Likes

Even the roadkill guys spend quite a bit of money and they have sponsors to help provide their equipment.

True, but it’s still built on the premise of a cheap thrill that’s held together with zip ties

Either way I know a hs student who has worked his butt off to get a $8,000 truck (partial loan to help of course), but on top of that, he has been working on it himself. He took a grinder to some rust on the frame, got that off, then coated all the exposed underbelly with some black rust-oleum, cleaned up the exterior, cleaned up the rims, and is generally doing what you’d expect a good car crafter or hot rodder to do: Take car of a vehicle and make it their own.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe the kid is in a vocational technical mechanics program where he can use this opportunity for a learning experience and get free help and make his own parts. Still, the premise is weak at best.

So I know nothing about honda engines so here are the specs from wiki

D16 series engines (1.6 liter)

Bore and Stroke: 75.0 × 90.0 mm (2.95 x 3.54 in)
Displacement: 1,590 cc (97 cu in)

Found in:

September 1989 – 1992 Honda CRX (European market)
    Bore and Stroke: see D16 Series Engines
    Displacement: see D16 Series Engines
    Compression: 9.5:1
    Power: 124 PS (91 kW; 122 hp) at 6,800 rpm[15]
    Torque: 14.3 kg·m (140 N·m; 103 lb·ft) at 5,700 rpm[15]
    Valvetrain: DOHC, four valves per cylinder
    Cam Gear: 34 tooth
    Fuel Control: OBD-0 PGM-FI
    Head Code: P7
    Piston Code: PM7
    ECU Code: PM7
    Clutch Kit: 210 mm disk

now a few more things like what kind of suspension does the chassis have?
What exactly is the budget?
What exactly is the transmission to be used as there is not much info available on RWD d16 engine conversions.
Any minimum stats needed to achieve?
what racetrack will you be taking times from?
how do you want the cars to be named?
what year are we building this to as obviously a modern engine cannot be made in 1943?

What exactly does this mean? Can you afford dyno tuning to re-calibrate or
is there a set amount of timing and fuel ratio,camshaft setting (ie can we replace the standard camshaft with a hotter item) to be used with only intake and exhaust modifications?

can we use quality sliders?

2 Likes

D16Z6
SOHC VTEC

Found in
1992–1995 Honda Civic Si
1992–1995 Honda Civic EX, EX-V
1992–1995 Honda Civic ESi (European Market)
1993–1995 Honda Del Sol Si (US)
1993–1996 Honda Del Sol ESi (European)
Bore and Stroke: 75 x 90
Displacement: 1590 cc
Rod Length: 137 mm
Rod Ratio: 1.52~
Compression: 9.2:1
Power: 125 bhp (92 kW, 125 PS) at 6,600 rpm
Torque: 106 lb·ft (14.7 kg/m, 144 Nm) at 5,200 rpm
Volumetric Efficiency: 87.68%
Redline: 7,200 rpm
Fuel cut: over 7,400 rpm
VTEC switchover: 4,800 rpm
Fuel control: OBD-1 PGM-FI
Head code: P08
ECU code: P28

P08 head, picture from eBay:

3 Likes

Cant you provide an export of the engine mate?!

1 Like

Figured I might try to make the engine, so far: torque 1000rpm too early, and 6Kw short…SOHC + VVL/VVT
Shifting VVT later, peak moves too late.

1 Like

What happens when u remove vvl?

@lukerules117 You would be surprised to find what you can do with a grinder, welder and a pile of scrap metal.

@Darkshine5 Historically the trucks of that era had solid/leaf in the rear and Ibeam leaf front(not in game yet).

What kind of broke high school student gets himself a 1940s truck and a Civic engine at all when you can have an NA Miata and a turbo kit? :joy:

Well any teen with a honda civic and who inherited a 1940’s truck? And what kind of teen would have the money to A) buy a turbo kit B) buy whatever else is needed to make the engine actually work and not kill itself from the boost C) the money or tools and skill required to install those things and then finally have it dyno tuned so it doesn’t kill itself

@Zabhawkin And you would be surprised how hard it is to turn scrap metal into something useful.

@findRED19 Yes, I have heard of road kill and I’m sure they have plenty of parts custom made for their builds and use equipment that costs more than a house. If you want a cheap thrill held together by zip ties in the form of a car you’d be better off getting some cheap used car and driving that, or if you want something more high end and purpose built you could buy a car that already is pretty much modified how you want it to be. either way would probably be cheaper.

And while I’m no expert there is a big difference between cleaning up a car and an engine swap.

1 Like

You must have totally skipped over the part where I talked about him actually using tools to clean rust off the frame.

Either way, He would do an engine swap if his current one blows up, or gets mangled in a crash. He’s talked about it, and I don’t doubt him.

No I didn’t but there is a big difference between using a grinder to get rid of dust and fabricating engine mounts and then swapping and engine in