[SCORES RELEASED] Buying a Sporty 5-Door Hatchback Challenge

JHW Solaris S

Fun, Without Shouting About it

8 Likes

12 Accepted Entries so far :slight_smile: Really loving how different each other’s car looks and performs despite given a fairly strict set of rules :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would have sent in the Kunai but even the base model is over the displacement limit, so I can’t enter due to lore restrictions :frowning:

Well in that case make a new trim with an engine variant of fewer ccs or simply make a new motor :wink:

3 Likes

The All-New 2009 Townsend Trinidad GS

Compromise is dead. Driving is back.

Follow the road of your heart.

Townsend. Truly.

*MSRP as shown $21,000 +TTL. Shown in Blueberry Tart Pearl. For more information see your local Townsend retailer.

8 Likes

The SMT NC18 is fast, frugal, agile and affordable. Need we say more?

7 Likes

#EADC 2008 Weasel EcoSport

In 2008, EADC released their new supermini, the EADC Weasel (not to be confused with the 2017 Weasel). The Weasel was the first EADC car to be equipped with their new ‘EcoBlue’ engines, improving performance while keeping fuel use to a minimum. Powered by a small 1.2L i4 iVTAC Turbo DI, the Weasel EcoSport produces 124 HP. All of this power of course is directed to the rear wheels, allowing the car to be thrown around easily, while the aeroSport package keeps the car manoeuvrable in tight corners. In addition, standard seats and basic CD keep the weight down giving the car an impressive mpg of 5.3L/100km. This makes it a perfect city car, and at only AMU $19050 at (50% markup), it is well below your budget of $21000

9 Likes

7 Likes

Reminds me of the Audi A1

2 Likes

Plenty more entrants accepted :slight_smile: This is your final day everybody! Last chance for submissions!

4 Likes

Submissions closed, I won’t be accepting any more entries.
It’s now time for Giannis to comment on the appearance of each car, awarding points, and then time for me to put it all together to see how each car scored and which one won! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

APPEARANCE COMMENTS & POINTS ---------PART ONE----------

The Boqliq Kitten Sport, by @HighOctaneLove
The car looks alright, nothing horrible yet nothing exceptional. Giannis wishes it didn’t feature dual front headlamps, steelies, black handles and black trim but overall it’s alright. 10 out of 20

The TownSend Trinidad GS by @VicVictory

Arches look way too flared, front looks pretty plain rear could do with bigger taillights. Alright looking overall. 9 out of 20

The Centauri Sidewinder by @Nialloftara

Let’s start with the good things about it : The rear looks alright, I like the weird muffler placement and the taillights. Tailgate looks a bit plain perhaps. The front looks like something Giannis would definitely not want to be seen in, he doesn’t like it one bit. He’s kinda scared actually by it. 6 out of 20

The Galt Bijon by @cpufreak101

Now, I’ve gotta start by saying I hate the sealed beams. I see no point in them being used here, just like I see no point in the chrome-tangerine party up front. However, I do believe there’s potential, especially in the rear, and that a less-retro facelift could make the car look a lot better. 10 points out of 20

The Tiga Sportline Active by @8bs

A car that truly does look really different than the rest without looking bad. I like how it’s busy yet it all works somehow. I dislike the different rear door handle and this certain bodystyle, but I think that if all fixtures were carried over to a newer body we’d have a great looking car. 14 out of 20

The GSI Leonidas by @oppositelock

Greek name, Giannis actually has a neighbor named Leonidas. Headlights feel as if they should’ve been positioned higher and the car feels really plain overall. However it doesn’t look bad so I’m giving it a 9 out of 20

The Firefly by @kitswift

Now… this would look awesome if it was in a cartoon or an anime series. Perhaps would also make a great car for the “cars” movie. However a pink colour, an extremely cute face, tires as thin as paper and a huge rear badge won’t cut it. 7 out of 20

The Raziel Classe BL Sport by @f17francesco

A good looking rear that could do with wider lights and a 3rd brake light, a front that combines euro style and an american grille. I overall quite like it, despite its flaws. 12 out of 20

The Erin Merna X 1.8 by @deusexmackia

An incredibly good-looking rear, arch flare on point, a very good looking front end that could in Giannis’ opinion have had a grille that was slightly higher and it would definitely benefit from switching to clear indicators. An overall great design though that Giannis truly likes and scores 18 out of 20

The FOA City XT by @TR8R

Front arches look far more flared than the rear ones, the grilles actually go inside the front lights, huge badges, bad looking rear headlights, bad body choice. I like the wheels and rear grille/exhaust assembly. 8 out of 20

The Smooth Firnge S by @airjordan

Despite the bad body choice and weird rear taillights, Giannis does think he’s pulled it off quite well. Great looking front end despite lacking a badge, good looking rear grille/exhaust assembly. Interesting wheel and colour choice. 11 out of 20

It’s 2:31AM Currently and Giannis will check the rest of the marketing material tomorrow! Stay tuned for the 2nd part!

14 Likes

APPEARANCE COMMENTS & POINTS --------------PART TWO----------------

The OMG SHTF by @one85db

Front looks alright, albeit a bit old looking. Not bad though. As far as the rear is concerned… oh deary me. 9 out of 20

The JHW Solaris S by @johnwaldock
A rather minimalistic design, not too much detail overall. A design that works though and looks good. 12 out of 20

The RGS by @lordvader1

The front, admittedly, is a bit of a mess. The grille/headlight combo not only doesn’t look good but isn’t correctly placed either. I really like the rear taillights and badge though, I believe that if the design of the rear was more detailed it would’ve looked ace. 10 out of 20

The Maesima Prova Tz by @rk38

A car with a very “busy” design, that all works though. Great attention to detail and very good looking overall. Giannis ain’t a huge fan of the squinty “eyes” of the car, however it overall looks really good and realistic! 18 out of 20

The Weasel Ecosport by @doriftodorito

I like the front end design and I believe that the rear could also look good with few touches and changes. However due to the bad car body choice it overall doesn’t look very good and it scores 11 out of 20

The Pace-R by @doncornaldie

Massively flared arches with huge wheel gaps. Tiny headlights and taillights in comparison to the rest of the fixtures and the car body and unnecessarily busy/plain in few areas. Not impressed. 9 out of 20

The QX10 RS by @harizvet1

A rear that looks fairly good and stylish, a front end that looks stylish yet kinda alien. An overall stylish car that needs more work in certain areas. 12 out of 20

The BMW 118i by @marcoalla. Oh wait! It’s actually the BRM 220i

Joking aside, the rear end design is stunning, the side of the car looks good, rim choice is good and lastly a very good looking front end, minus the obviously very BMW-esque vents. 16 out of 20

12 Likes

The Scarab Flare S by @gridghost

A really good looking design that overall works! 14 out of 20

The SMT NC18 by @abg7

If it weren’t for the headlights being so low making it look odd and the rear being so plain, the car would definitely look a lot better. 11 out of 20

9 Likes

After a whole hour of doing math and noting things down on a paper, the scores are here!

@HighOctaneLove : 303.7 - 11th place
@VicVictory : 314.3 - 3rd place
@Nialloftara : 306.0 - 8th place
@cpufreak101 : 319.4 - 2nd place
@8bs : 293.1 - 17th place
@oppositelock : 307.1 - 7th place
@Kitswift : 346.2 - 1st place
@F17Francesco : 298.8 - 14th place
@DeusExMackia : 295.4 - 16th place
@TR8R : 278.6 - 20th place
@AirJordan : 302.7 - 12nd place
@gridghost : 308.1 - 4th place
@abg7 : 302.4 - 13th place
@one85db : 298.2 - 15th place
@JohnWaldock : 292.5 - 18th place
@lordvader1 : 307.2 - 6th place
@rk38 : 259.9 - 21st place
@Dorifto_Dorito : 304.8 - 10th place
@doncornaldie : 292.0 - 19th place
@harizvet1 : 305.3 - 9th place
@MarcoAlla : 309.0 - 5th place

13 Likes

The Winners :

@Kitswift : 346.2 - 1st place

The Winner of this challenge, by a large margin, is @Kitswift, with the Firefly, or CartoonCar as I like to call it, coming in at 346.2 Points. It’s powered by an all-aluminium VVL/VVT/Turbo DOHC 24V V6, of only 1545CCs while producing a staggering figure of 247hp@8500rpm (9200rpm redline) and only consuming 6.28L/100km! As you can imagine, top speed, 0-100km/h and automation track times are equally good, leading us to the winner. The only areas the car didn’t do too good at were Comfort & Design. Still, a really good entrant, that I believe should contact the Betta Design Studios to give it a makeover to be even more competitive.

@cpufreak101 : 319.4 - 2nd place

Coming up at 2nd place, is the Galt Bijon by @cpufreak101. We’ve once again got a 24V VVL VVT Turbo V6, though it’s a 272hp 1643cc unit this time. Consumption is higher, at 1L/100km more than the winner, the 0-100km/h time is higher but top speed is at 253.2km/h, making this car along the three fastest of all 21 entrants! Once again, design isn’t this car’s strong point at all and I’d yet again recommend getting a make over from Centro Stile Betta.

@VicVictory : 314.3 - 3rd place

The last winner is @VicVictory with the TownSend Trinidad GS. Surprisingly, this car managed to be ahead of so many other entrants while being all-motor! It’s powered by a 155hp 1.75 V6 VVL/VVT N/A engine. This car’s strong points are Drivability, Comfort, Prestige and Off-Road. While not exactly a bad looking car, the front is too plain and rear is plain uninspiring. We too would recommend the guys over at TownSend to give CSB a call!

9 Likes

Second, highest I’ve ever gotten before lol

1 Like

Oh. First. I didn’t expect th- I MEAN, nobody could ever beat such an adorable face!

I wish I didn’t have to make the tires so absurdly thin though.

4 Likes

The Worst Entrant :

Unfortunately, despite @rk38 making a great job at the exterior of the Maesima Prova, this Tz model simply didn’t cut it. Its 141hp N/A 1.8 VVL I4 engine didn’t give it the fuel economy figures or performance to suit for the challenge. The engine size was the biggest possible, consumption was almost at the max acceptable, 0-62 was almost at 9 seconds while top speed was just 3km/h over 210km/h. Give it a better engine and a 6speed gearbox and this thing would do far better!

4 Likes

Excellent stuff! Well done to @Kitswift, forgive my ignorance but I think this is the first competition I’ve seen you win? In which case, that’s awesome! If that’s not the case, feel free to lampoon me…

This was a really nice competition @TheMiltos21. We don’t get enough of these score-based competitions anymore, so thanks for hosting one!

3 Likes