Series of guides to increase your Automation skills

We should also get the option to change the size of the valves.

Was that in a Dev update or is that a suggestion?

Iirc it was in a little dev update or a post somewhere, I’ll try to find the source.

1 Like

A lot of the big block era American V8s are oversquare, and they are plenty torquey.

The only reason to intentionally use oversquare at the moment is to increase smoothness (stroke costs more smoothness than bore), and probably (?) in the future to lower centre of gravity in straight and narrow angle V engines, at the cost of more materials instead of PU or ET, and more weight and less compact engine for a given power output (generally speaking). Again, American golden era V8s exemplify this cost-benefit; the relative wealth of the American consumer was best exploited by selling engines with high material cost (physically large, a lot of iron used), but low engineering and production complexities (e.g. OHV), also prioritising comfort (smoothness, low end torque) over weight and size.

2 Likes

What about letting you use a moderate (30-40) cam on a DOHC 16V engine, w/o having to choose between choping the power-curve, spending money on forged internals or taking a reliability penality?

2 Likes

When I say ‘intentionally’ I mean without regard to RPM limits of the internals. E.g., if you are stuck using an I4 and basic internals because of PU/ET limits and smoothness has high importance. That’s a niche case I admit, but I’m sure it exists. Like other players, I go for max stroke first and bore:stroke ratio is a side-effect of other factors, but smoothness is intrinsically worse in undersquare engines when everything else is kept the same, so occasionally it might be beneficial not to go max stroke with low cylinder and/or large capacity engines.

2 Likes

Found a source:

1 Like

Most of them were oversquare, correct. But the fact my 454 is slightly oversquare doesn’t much matter when the stroke is still 4". I should’ve probably specified short stroke. =P