Sillymods [Currently frozen WIP]

As far as I can tell, sometimes 3DS Max just does… that. The scale appears correct, but it’s much too small in-game. All I can say is to scale it up until it properly fits the wheelbase of the car it’s based on. 3DS Max will say it’s much bigger than it is, but it should appear properly in the game.

Edit: I should also mention that you’ll need to fill in the back of the car, even though there isn’t any bodywork on the back of the real one. Just get creative to get something functional (maybe a lot of black), and to have a bit of fixture space down there.

1 Like

Progress so far:

Rear end with spaceframe chassis (I didn’t think it through it when modelling)

Rear end with monocoque

Currently, it does 2:20 in the automation test track with +5 aero quality without tuning weighting around 950kg with 240hp and reaches +280 km/h.
It can house an 8 liter undersquare V12.

EDIT: I’m fixing the rear… with something. The body is from a race car so is OP compared to the other bodies in game, should I tone it down?

5 Likes

Make the rear taper down like the longtail 917.

4 Likes

You only need to make something as wide as the chassis. It would be cool to have the full width of the wheels visible from the back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking good. I agree with the others; the rear end needs to be closed up; at least enough to cover the platform/frame. A variant without the hole above the engine would be nice too.

I don’t think it is overpowered. The weight is reasonable since the real one weighed just 800kg with a fibreglass body and a relatively heavy flat-12. The aerodynamics are probably fine too; as the 917 was designed for low drag rather than downforce, and so they had a very high maximum speed… though the late-production engines that reached over 1,000hp played a significant part in that. Try to shove an engine nearing 1,000hp in there. If the top speed doesn’t exceed about 380km/h; you’re good.

So, how about this…

trying to mantain some of the original feel of the car. It needs some adjustments.

That and something more like a ferrari 512M will be variants.

1 Like

Not bad… it looks like a traditional bumper; which no doubt would have been added if Porsche had made a production or homologation version of the 917k. I just don’t know about such an exposed engine for a production car though… not sure if that would have been legalized. A mesh covering it would be nice; but I assume that isn’t possible.

Do you think you could shove a spare tire in there like the real 917k had?

Always made me wonder why a strictly race only vehicle such as the 917k even carried one… but it is fitting for a production version of it.

2 Likes

I would say don’t. It’s a race car :slight_smile: although why would it be OP compared to other race car mods? If people doing challenges will think it’s unfair they will ban it but we should have a body as realistic as possible. OP or not.

BTW great work man, thanks for doing this!

1 Like

If this doesn’t get the Flat/Boxer engines moved up the “get done later” list, i don’t know what will. Heavy brib… i mean donations, maybe.:innocent:

1 Like

Just for reference purposes, here’s a photo of the infamous Porsche 917/20(K) “Pink Pig” from 1971, as raced @ LeMans by Willibert Kahusen and Reinhold Joest. Notice the mandatory rear “valance” panel and the rear stabilizing “Sharkfins” made mandatory by the FIA to cover the drivetrain ancilliaries. (The former addition was not required by the USRRC/IMSA though.)

Here we have the famous winged longdeck variant, complete with its semi-covered rear wheelwells (and driven by the late Pedro Rodriguez [MEX] and Jackie Oliver [GBR]), which apparently made this far more “stable” than the original shortdeck version. The rest, as our elders would say, is history…

Additionally there was a “Street Legal” variant made for rich enthusiasts that differed from the racers in terms of equipment and tuning. (Both of them had turn signals, taillights, sideview mirrors, slightly wider rear wheels and an actual exhaust system, as well as a more compliant suspension setup [as in softer dampening rates and anti-roll bars] for road going use.) Shown here is the first of the “Street '17s” as owned by Count Gregorio Rossi de Montelera of Martini Winery fame.

And the list goes on…and on…and on…

3 Likes

Sorry again for the lacks of update but I just took a break from the project and doing other stuff. I struggled with the rear thing tho the point that the rear part of the mesh ended up wrecked from many changes :sweat_smile: so I just took a break and re-though the mesh. I’m re making it and the rear end will be more traditional, simply because the end of the 917 makes stamping/UV mapping quite difficult (grills or vents cutting holes in other parts of the body).

The long tail will be available, but I’m not sure if I’ll make it right away or after another project.

EDIT: Well, I just gived up and just did the rear end different xD. I just need to skin it, and it’ll be ready hopefully tomorrow.

8 Likes

New car body is in the workshop. The stand alone download will be added later :slight_smile:

3 Likes

AWESOME!

Oh hi
Cool avatar xD

1 Like

I just added the long tail variant and the stand alone download in the OP

6 Likes

I’ve built a car with it, and I have to say it has excellent weight distribution; I got her to handle the way I want from the first try. I usually have to play around quite a bit with mid-engined vehicles, but not this one, so great job there.

The body could use a little more work around the wheel-wells though. The body doesn’t connect to the frame/platform very well and there are gaps you can see through. More importantly, the wheel-wells themselves could use a few more sides to look more rounded.

Thank you for your time and effort.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I actually spend quite the time trying to find the best dynamic balance in my mods (weight boxes, lift and drag coefficient) without been OP.
The rear wheel-well since once originally designed for the 917k shape i didnt made it round enough, but when I change my mind and cover the rear part,I just wanted to finish the mod already without adding new vertices or modifying the flow of the mesh, that’s why it doesn’t look completely round.

I was trying a different way of modeling the car (compared to my 2 previous attempts), which actually affected the overall design (boxy with little curves).
I’ll try to do a more curvy mesh in my next project.

1 Like

AMWEC Commemorative car bodies

So now I’m working in 2 WIP, for an upcoming event (the AMWEC series).
Last time, only 2 bodies were really competitive (the large mclaren and the modern large vanilla coupe) so I’m modeling 2 more bodies,

As now, there is a missing link in the evolution of racing bodies in game, currently we have:
60s felgen exotic → my 70s race car → the 80s group C vanilla body → my 90s GT1 → ??? → 10sVMO’s LMP1.
So to fill the 2000s void I’m making a mash between a Lola-Aston Martin B09/60 and a Cadillac northstar LMP. I’ll publish a picture until I have the mesh working in game :slight_smile:
(If you don’t like the idea of another race car… well, just don’t use it ._ . )

The other project is based on the 2016 Ford GT body

12 Likes

I’m not usually too fond of race-cars, but I agree, for some challenges, we do need more variety. And I can’t believe I’m gonna say this, but we need a supercar that isn’t obviously a McLaren for modern times.

Both of those are good projects, and while I’m biased against Mid Engines, I respect that they are needed to fill in gaps.

1 Like

Progress of the Lola/northstar LMP
Only skinning left to do :slight_smile:

7 Likes