Smooth Motor Co

I don’t think I am particularly interested in building a complex weave of lore for my companies, but I think it may help give context and make everything a little more interesting since you get more than just the short blurp.

Charles Lawrence Smoove Motor Co. is an american company interested in building a high quality product for hard working americans. Smoove is a conservative company, some may say its boring, but thats the way our customers like it. If you want weirdness or innovation, go somewhere else. Smoove prefers to build the classic american Sedan, while there are other bodystyles available obviously sedans are the bread and butter.

And because I don’t like lore, I’ll start in 1989 as opposed to 1948.

This is a 1990 Smoove Rapier, a six seater mid size sedan, that took the role of the original Smoove Sabre. The Rapier is at its core an affordable, spacious and comfortable family car. The 1990 Rapier was the first Smoove to be designed using a Windtunnel, with an aerodynamic sloped nosecone, a semi fastback roofline with a large wraparound window (no hatchback tho) and flush fixtures. It was also the first Mainline Smoove to feature fully independent suspension for better ride comfort. The Rapier’s focus on comfort is reflected by its drivetrain, the only available transmission is a 4-speed Overdrive Automatic. The Rapier was also designed with special care to simplifying maintenance and repairs. It is rear wheel driven, and powered by a selection of 2 valve per cylinder, Pushrod Inline 4 cylinder engines between 2.2 and 2.7L of displacement. However all engines are fitted with Multiport Fuel Injection, Turbocharging and balance shafts, which means that these simple OHV engines produce exceptional low end torque and return very reasonable fuel economy paired to the tall geared automatic. There are four trim levels available, a regular Aerosedan, the HFX which is optimized for fuel efficiency, the well equipped, comfortable Special and the slightly sporty Aero GT. The Rapiers qualities make it the most popular Smoove model with over 150.000 Sales annually.

Trim levels
Rapier HFX - 2.2L OHV Turbo I4, 131hp, 165ft-lb, 3120lbs
Rapier Aerosedan - 2.4L OHV Turbo I4, 140hp, 190ft-lb, 3180lbs
Rapier Special - 2.7L OHV Turbo I4, 170hp, 225ft-lb, 3210lbs
Rapier Aero GT - 2.4L High Output OHV I4, 180hp, 220ft-lb, 3200lbs

15 Likes

That is a very very clever rear window, I’m jealous!

4 Likes

Glad you appreciate my effort!

If it weren’t for those turbos, the Rapier would have been too underpowered to live up to its name. Despite not having a smoother six- or eight-cylinder engine available, though, it was definitely comfortable and reliable enough to sell very well indeed.

A V6 would be less fuel efficient and less acessible for maintenance though, and a V8 would simply be too much for what is a post-malaise american midsize sedan.
But there will actually be a more advanced V6 engine available in a facelifted Rapier.

How about an inline-6?

See that wouldn’t be compatible with what existing Lore there is. My company only has an iron block OHV Straight six from the late 60s designed for full-size cars. But the 1993 Sabre has a 3.8L SOHC V6 capable of being adapted to the Rapier.

I’d like to continue my reverse timetraveling with the 1977 Smoove Spectre, the downsized full-size predecessor to the Omega. This bodystyle had a nearly 14 year run until late 1990, with three facelifts and one major revision of the chassis in 1985 for the 1986 model year. This is the 1977 to 1980 version available with a 305 V8, a 350 V8 and a 400 V8.

While the '77 Spectre looked very fresh and modern it was mechanically mostly identical to its predecessor, riding on the same chassis with the same suspension and wheelbase, however the 305 V8 became standard equipment while the 350 engine was now optional. The 427 V8 of the predecessor was dropped and replaced with a 400 V8 that was not available in certain states because of fuel economy. The 3-speed auto transmission had much longer gear ratios than before which killed performance on the 1977 models. Yet still these cars were fairly popular in their time. Nowadays an cheap, underpowered malaise era boat does not receive much love from the general public, many got simply thrown away and were wasted for banger racing etc.

Trim levels (1977-1980)
Spectre 305 - 5.0L V8, 143hp, 230ft-lb, 3946lbs
Spectre 350 - 5.7L V8, 170hp, 275ft-lb, 4048lbs
Spectre 400 - 6.6L V8, 179hp, 340ft-lb, 4260lbs

7 Likes

Smoove began with a military contract for 4x4 1/2-ton trucks, a highly profitable line which continued in the 1950s beside the passenger car line. The highlight of 1950s Smoove Motor Corporation was the 1957-1960 Kingfisher luxury sedan. It was built on the L-Body platform of the Smoove Mainline, but had a boxed X-Member for chassis rigidity to support the 4800lb curb weight. The Kingfisher also had 14" Wheels instead of 15" for an even softer ride. One basic engine available, a 378ci “StratoPower” V8, of which there were two variants, a dual two-barrel carburetor rated at 330hp and 460ft-lb and the triple two-barrel Ultradyne rated at 390hp and 485ft-lb. Both engines had a two-speed Turbomatic transmission.

1957 and 1958 Kingfisher were identical apart from dual headlights on the '58.

2 Likes