So then...the new Top Gear

Well, he better reinvent that dildo instead of using it as it had been before, I mean, good lord, we all know where that’s been!!!

1 Like

The fact that the show started with his smug punchable face going “Tonight on all NEW and IMPROVED” bla bla, and then it went straight to trying to be Clarkson in the intro which now had gasp yellow lines instead of black ones. That is the whole show in a nutshell really.

He said that? Aw no…

Also going down with the guy is the quote:

I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward

I mean, that’s a huge promise for its sheer vagueness to start off. Considering the other things he’s said, about how he has a different personality, how changing the presenters is pretty much a revolution, changing the entire show… he just needs to remember that first and foremost! The audience, of course, coming off the back of the old crew, are definitely not expected to be at all forgiving.

Perhaps I’m sparing the vitriol because I haven’t seen it (and I don’t want to, frankly). But I actually feel kind of bad for Chris Evans.

i’m gonna second @Darkshine5 up.
it’s about the story and the people that interacted with it. it just fits with what i watched just today, and a quote.
“the story and the people is more important than the car” - Moog of mighty car mods.

but sadly i have no access to watching it on bbc directly, so i will have to wait until it shows up elsewhere.
so i’m gonna update this post after finding it and try to watch it at least.

Watched it till the end. I was disappointed.

I do agree that Evans wasn’t likable at all. I was also disappointed Chris Harris wasn’t present. Was curious to see how Matt LeBlanc and Rory Reid would do. Matt did pretty good, Rory, again, wasn’t present.

I can understand they’re going to have a pool of hosts to pick from to each episode, so not all of them will be present in each ep. That’s cool, but they could’ve at least give them all a proper introduction in the first episode.

The star in a reasonably priced rallycross car segment was the lowest point. Pick two random celebrities who don’t have anything in common so you can’t really make a conversation, then just show pictures of their cars and ask the audience which one’s better. You could do that without inviting them in the studio. The segment was always about the interview, the discussion, not about the lap. Just giving them a better car isn’t making the segment better. It appears they’re clueless without Andy Wilman.

Also, no news? for shame.

I hope it gets better, but I’m not holding my breath.

Also, I do agree that Top Gear US is not all that bad.

I don’t believe this amount of criticism is entirely justified. I happened to like the first episode. Will admit that the star in a rallycross car segment was a huge letdown for the same reasons @partario mentioned above. Overall, I think they’re off to a good start.

Also - he said “Welcome to Top Gear, with our all new, improved, audience.” How is that smug? Unless he was being sarcastic… Still - I have no problems with Evans taking a stab (or two) at Clarkson. :stuck_out_tongue: I laughed hard at the catering comment.

1 Like

i wanted to edit my post, but most of my points are already pointed out there^
i genuinely sub-consciously said “wait, that’s it?” when the show ended.

what i found with chris evans not likable is maybe, because of 2 things.

1. like already pointed out before, he seems to half-shout everything he says.
  2. instead of being his own personality and be different, i just see him just trying so hard to mimic most of the things clarkson was doing. and people don’t like him mimicking clarkson, not the person himself. but that’s my speculation.

the rallycross segment was bad, really awkward, feels way to forced. the only + point is, well maybe, rallycross. it’s a refresh compared to just ‘reasonably priced car’ that was really getting old, even when it IS good. but even then, i don’t feel like i’m completely positive on that.

overall, it’s not bad, it’s just, MEH.
and overall, i think they should’ve gone the top gear USA route and completely break away from the old top gear style and format, instead of trying to adapt it to the new host.

i just don’t think it’s going to work with these host, i can’t feel the ‘familiarity’ we all felt with the bum trio.

heck even the top gear USA gave me the feeling like they’re ‘friendly’, as in, they’re actually friend on and off camera. but it’s been a while since i watched top gear USA.

I guess watching the episode independently of the previous top gear it would be more enojayble, but, again that cant be done with Evans constantly referring to the previous hosts.

Maybe he will improve in the next episodes, nothing says he can’t do that.

On a slightly unrelated note, I was watching top gear season 22 the other day in my father in law house, and I get a little embarrassed when he saw me watching it, because for non-watchers the show was a couple of man-child grown men doing goofy things. And that got me thinking, I felt the show lost quality in the last seasons (clarkson was dumber, James more like a grand ma and Richard more like an excited hamster), how many seasons do you think the old top gear would have left before we started complaining?

Judging how many sticks the majority of Clarkson, May, and Hammond internet fans have in their you-know-whats, my guess would be a few years at least.

1 Like

I actually stopped watching TG about 6-7 seasons back. Given how I behave on these forums, I can’t say I’ve exactly grown up. But at the same time, like Sillyworld said, there’s only so much manchild cavorting one can sustain without it devolving into something less magical and altogether more asinine. Maybe my taste in humour changed, and I started demanding something more topical, more political or socially incisive. As a few social justice warrior media commentator types have remarked, there’s only so much commentators of the trio’s demographic can offer… and while defying this seems to be precisely what the success of Top Gear was all about, a not-insignificant portion of viewers probably did yearn for a way for the show to become more… relevant, despite its irreverence.

So is there any way to see it if you’re too cheap to have cable? And while you guys mentioned it, I might check put Top Gear USA.

Have a look at Kodi.tv. And Google exodus for Kodi.

It will help with Grand Tour later in the year too!

Just watched Extra Gear, which was, surprisingly, very good. I think Rory Reid and Chris Harris did a great job presenting it. I suppose they weren’t under as much pressure as Chris Evans, being the ‘lead guy’ of Top Gear.

Also, disregard my last comment about the lack of news segment.

1 Like

Episode 2 is actually way worse than 1.
I also loved the Evans’ quote on “On tonights’ show I am less shouty, and Eddie Jordan doesn’t talk for 1 second” and then he instantly proceeds to shout and never shut up himself.
This is such a massive massive disappointment.

thus. you kinda kill my curiousity to find out if that’s true.

TONIGHT WE KEEP RIPPING OFF AND DISSING THE OLD CREW INSTEAD OF DOING OUR OWN THING.

Tomorrow we complain on twitter how ratings don’t matter in publicly funded tv show land.

5 Likes

If it’s any consolation this weeks’ episode is more boring than that time the trio took 350z, TT and an S2k to north UK. As in PAINFULLY BORING

I liked the SUV comparison bit. The rest of the episode gets a ‘meh’ from me.

I’ll still tune in next week.

Sounds like they’re gearing up for Strategy Number 3 on my list above.

Evans HAS to go.

Le Blanc and Button would be an awesome pairing.