Solar - A Short Lived Sports Luxury Brand

In 1989 Solar was created when Upward, an American company wanted to expand into the luxury vehicle market.

In 1989 they shipped off their first design the Solar Tide. With a top speed of 130 and a premium luxury interior with expensive leather seats and a high price tag, the Tide was designed to be a car filling the Sports Luxury market of vehicles.

In 1990 the Solar Aero was released. Using a turbocharged Tide engine with an increased 225 hp and AWD, the sporty characteristics along with the wagon body, the Aero proved itself to be a fast luxurious car.

In 1992 the Solar Fire was released. The fastback had a powerful turbocharged 450 hp V6. The car is only 2949 lbs and has a top speed of 180 mph. The powerful engine and light body made this car have a high price tag.

In 1995 the Solar Hunter was released. Originally a joke, a small hatchback with a Fire engine, it became a reality when the turbo was removed for a more reasonable 244 hp. A light weight, and fast engine proved to be good for the RWD manual.

!
!

Light truck monocoque and a 4 speed manual in a sports car, I can see why the brand was short lived. I like the names though. Somehow remind me Pontiac with their “Sun…” and “Fire…” series.