Some Lighting/Reflections Observations

I know this isn’t high priority but I wanted to make a quick post about this anyway. UE4 Automation looks great and I’ve spent a ton of time in the photo mode, but I think the reflections and colors are holding it back a bit.

Cars tend to lose some of their color in photo mode because the reflections are very strong. You see the sky’s color on the car more than the car’s color in some cases.

This is all (mostly) default settings with partially cloudy skies vs. clear skys. The sky seems to affect the color of everything dramatically and makes the scene darker.
cloudy

The design room looks good (I choose an bland beige because it seemed to be affected more than most colors). The Black Mirror scene is lit like it is in a light grey room when it probably shouldn’t be reflecting much except the light overhead.
mirror

Color Temperature kinda plays into the first point above. With (mostly) default settings except noon clear skies, shooting at 5500k temp (about daylight balance) looks blue like the first image. Temperature has to be set around 7500k to look closer to accurate colors.
noon

These can be worked around with the photo mode settings, but toning the reflections down a bit may help make things easier and make the game look a little better.

Feel free to add more to this below, this was just a quick thing.

10 Likes

I’ve noticed with the huge factory, as it takes a little while to load, that the car will be lit up nicely… but then lose its colours to the blue sky once the reflections come in (along with that vasline camera kind of haze that scene has for some reason).

This has been brought up in Discord but just to have a record, the time of day glitch where you can take a pic before reflections come in shows how strong the reflections in outdoor scenes currently are.

Here’s a normal afternoon pic with no filters or crazy settings.

This is the result of the glitch with the same settings.

Putting them both together with the glitched image at 50% in photoshop gives you this.

While it might not be the perfect amount to reduce it by, imo the reflections on the top of the car look more subtle and realistic, and the shadows under the car and in the environment (like the building in the background) look less like a blue filter. It may make taking pics of cars with certain colors easier to do.

3 Likes

To be honest, I don’t think the reflections are too strong. The colours can sometimes be off, but reflections are strong in real life too…

1 Like

What we need is stronger shadows I guess. Well… darker that is

I agree, I was messing with it a bit more last night and I might add to this when I get home. Also I agree with machalel, but I think with the context of the game’s graphics, they can be toned down a little (maybe not half but still)

Edit: Here’s a better example that shows the shadows using the 50% opacity thing again.

1 Like