Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

[quote=“CNSpots1”]I had to vote no towards moving entirely to Steam.

I’ve heard enough stories, as well as once knew someone who lost their entire $200+ steam Library over a false cheating accusation, their account was terminated, and when they contacted Steam’s support in an attempt to fix the situation, they got “Not our problem” in response.

[/quote]

You dont lose your library, only get banned from official steam multiplayer… I call shenanigans.

Right. Then how about this: if you want multiplayer get your steam key today, if you don’t want steam you can use this non-steam-no-multiplayer version. No one can say you didn’t give them choice and if you’ll also make promise to look into getting on other platforms like GOG there shouldn’t be too much problem (well people will always complain). Of course option to turn that no-multiplayer version into steam key would remain, you know in case you’d end up sticking to steam only or someone changes their mind.

[quote=“CNSpots1”]I had to vote no towards moving entirely to Steam.

I also have my concerns on the funding… For instance, how is purchasing going to be effected by steam? Will you guys be losing a percentage of the revenue? Or will the prices have to be hiked up to insure that steam gets their cash out of the situation. [/quote]

Prices will be the same, though they will rise $5, at some point, as per the preorder discount noted on the buy page here.

Steam does take a cut, but they’ll also get us infront of a much much larger audience and handle all the hosting/distribution, I’d be extremely surprised if we didn’t make a lot more money by being on Steam.

Regarding losing your game library, I’m not sure what can be done about that, that’s one of the problems with Digital Distribution I guess… though it seems to be a lot worse with things like Direct2Drive

Right. Then how about this: if you want multiplayer get your steam key today, if you don’t want steam you can use this non-steam-no-multiplayer version. No one can say you didn’t give them choice and if you’ll also make promise to look into getting on other platforms like GOG there shouldn’t be too much problem (well people will always complain). Of course option to turn that no-multiplayer version into steam key would remain, you know in case you’d end up sticking to steam only or someone changes their mind.[/quote]

That’s still maintaining two different and seperate versions of an entire game, that’s really time and effort intensive for a small team to do.

Steam, hands down. If a PC game wants to be taken seriously, it needs to be on Steam. Every day it’s not on Steam is lost sales. I’ve known lots of people who are waiting for it to get on Steam, even though I have told them they will get a Steam key when it gets on Steam.

So yeah, the game needs to be on Steam, ASAP.

Getting the game onto steam is going to be better for visibility, and for the company, than just the stand-alone game launcher. Steam’s great, I use it all the time and it’s probably one of the few big services on the internet that hasn’t screwed people over in any way so far. And sure it would help development not to maintain two different ways to access the game, but in the long run I think the right answer is to have both. Having all of your eggs in one basket is a bad idea in general. Unless, for reasons unknown, the stand-alone launcher is going to take a large effort to maintain, having both would please people who for whatever reason can’t or don’t want to use Steam.

[quote=“WildKarrde”]Steam, hands down. If a PC game wants to be taken seriously, it needs to be on Steam. Every day it’s not on Steam is lost sales. I’ve known lots of people who are waiting for it to get on Steam, even though I have told them they will get a Steam key when it gets on Steam.

So yeah, the game needs to be on Steam, ASAP.[/quote]

Oh, there is no question over that, the question is if it should be Steam ONLY.

If it’s really that much work, one thought that comes to mind is sort of the reverse of the common sense approach but… what if, after becoming successful on Steam, automation plays catch-up with the stand-alone installer at a later date? That way you can focus on the important stuff now, and have a fallback plan for the future.

If it’s really that much work, one thought that comes to mind is sort of the reverse of the common sense approach but… what if, after becoming successful on Steam, automation plays catch-up with the stand-alone installer at a later date? That way you can focus on the important stuff now, and have a fallback plan for the future.[/quote]

I can’t really work out the justification for the huge amount of work it’d require, and it’d have non-steam players left years behind most likely.

I vote for the launcher itself is maintained at least to open it because I do not have internet on the computer I use automation. I have no problem using steam to update the game because whenever I download it from another computer. excuse my English, use a translator because I do not speak English, only Spanish. greetings from Argentina

I like the idea of being independent BUT, having all your resources focused on the game itself is a better choice, less headache for you guys, a better game for all of us and more sales for you,which means more capital for more miatas and game improvement. The only “bad” thing will be see the game on a summer sale for 75%less than what i paid.

Option 2: steam all the way

Steam all the way, easier to access games, better reach into the gaming community, more people will see the game so possibly more purchases,

Steam only in my opinion, can always bring out a stand alone launcher later once the game is completed or something, but focus on the important stuff now like just finishing the game to a high standard

I think that you guys should do the steam platform because I’m sure that almost everyone has a steam account. And if you don’t have one its not a big deal to get steam, plus I think it’s important for the team to focus on one platform.

Definitely Steam.

Steam. Simple as that.

Even though I pre-purchased, I haven’t followed this game for a long time simply because it hasn’t been available to me on Steam. I hate having separate launchers for every thing. Definitely a +1 to Steam for me.

I like the launcher, as I don’t have to keep Steam in the background (I hate performance waste).
But I think you don’t have to keep it this way.
I think most people not using Steam does so because they simply don’t play online so they’re bothered by Steam offline mode.
So it would be simpler to keep the separate version as an offline one, and focus on the Steam community for online play.

As long as I don’t have to buy the game again I’m all for a steam version.

Steam all the way had steam for about 4 years if not longer never had a single issue!