Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

[quote=“Kev2442”]I like the launcher, as I don’t have to keep Steam in the background (I hate performance waste).
But I think you don’t have to keep it this way.
I think most people not using Steam does so because they simply don’t play online so they’re bothered by Steam offline mode.
So it would be simpler to keep the separate version as an offline one, and focus on the Steam community for online play.[/quote]

I sue my PC for other things besides gaming, I have Steam set to not launch at boot up. If I want to play a game i’ll launch it through a desktop icon or if I want to browse the store / workshop then i’ll launch the steam client.
Once I’m done, If I need to, i’ll just exit the steam client running in the background.
Also it mean I get no steam ads until I close my game or If I go directly into steam, when as I said I’m probably looking for something to buy where an ad is not inappropriate. For me the ads are not intrusive, one click gets rid of the bugger plus you might see something you like, I have.

I think steamworks is the way to go. Not because I don’t like choice, but STEAM only is probably the most convenient way both for the customer and the developer and because the development team is small and they have a huge task ahead of them, all those little things that come from steamworks integration and only one version to worry about will prove very beneficial in the long run. Frankly, I think STEAM/noSTEAM option would either mean a half-assed STEAM integration or a significant delay of the final product and I like neither of those options (worst case scenario - both).

For me it’s not a privacy fact.
I have Steam with a lot of games (380-400 and 80 installed), but I want a separate installation for the games that I love!

For example I have a DRM-FREE or a CLIENT-FREE version of Uplink, Silent Hunter II and I’m thinking to buy a CLIENT-FREE version of Euro Truck Simulator 1.
So I would have the same with Automation.

Plus, If I want a computer with only the games that I love I should be free to choose to download and install only the 3-4-5 installers of the game that interest me.

Don’t troll the other people if you don’t know them, don’t talk about privacy fact or other excuses.

I dont mind having a Steam only version, since its less resource intensive than maintaining two versions.
The only thing I would like to see is that the game, once installed via Steam, doesnt need the Steam client running to be able to start the game itself.

I don’t use steam as I am not a fan of DRM, I think that you would be limiting your play audience by limiting it to just steam, running the steam client just for this one game seems like a pain in the backside, and as others have said some users such as myself like to selectively choose what they install on their machine and have a select number of launchers for the games we love, it really depends on what sort of audience you want to bring to the game, the limited steam environment or having the launcher available for everyone

Limited? There’s an estimated 75 million users of steam.
Even if only .1% of them were interested in automation that would be 75000 users, nearly 3 times the number of current forum members if we use that as an estimate of interest in the game

Option 2: Convert ALL keys to Steam and focus on that platform.

Even though if you fully convert to steam I won’t be able to play the game, I’m fully fine with that. It’s about time I bought the game (Incase you may be wondering, I’m using a mate’s account).

[quote=“maffc”][quote=“Kev2442”]I like the launcher, as I don’t have to keep Steam in the background (I hate performance waste).
But I think you don’t have to keep it this way.
I think most people not using Steam does so because they simply don’t play online so they’re bothered by Steam offline mode.
So it would be simpler to keep the separate version as an offline one, and focus on the Steam community for online play.[/quote]

I sue my PC for other things besides gaming, I have Steam set to not launch at boot up. If I want to play a game i’ll launch it through a desktop icon or if I want to browse the store / workshop then i’ll launch the steam client.
Once I’m done, If I need to, i’ll just exit the steam client running in the background.
Also it mean I get no steam ads until I close my game or If I go directly into steam, when as I said I’m probably looking for something to buy where an ad is not inappropriate. For me the ads are not intrusive, one click gets rid of the bugger plus you might see something you like, I have.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I do.

I think one of the best ways to expand our community would be the Steam family sharing.
Not all games enable this. That would allow friends to try the game easily. And then they’ll buy the game for the multiplayer part.

You could go with option C and retrofit the current launcher to use Steam’s authentication token in lieu of the username/password bit, stripping out the current download mechanism and forum module, then changing the way parameters work so one could launch Automation with command-line parameters matching the available customizations in the launcher in turn including the launcher as an optional but separate startup option. (See ARMA 3; they added a launcher AFTER release as an option in-Steam)

To those complaining about resources, this is 2014, and all PC’s shipped including laptops have at least 4gb inclusive with quad-core laptops costing only $700 USD, and similarly equipped towers the same. Steam in the last year revamped its process model to isolate specific tasks to better take advantage of threading, allowing asynchronous updates if the option is selected in each game’s properties menu. The ram usage has been reduced to 70mb in the last update from 100mb, and if you know anything about threading you’d realize that a paused task is inconsequential to the likes of CPU overhead, even if there are 24 of them. RAM is not indicative of usage depending on the type of allocation as indicated by resource monitor. Shared memory is not more memory used just as free memory is just memory waiting to be used. The overhead of a threaded process is relative to the amount of private structure and duplication involved as well as the frequency in which it occurs in and out of sequence, rather the fact that it simply exists appearing to occupy space and time as to the lay.

The only valid argument I can really hear is compression and bandwidth use as the developers are located in Australia where pervasive internet without fair data caps is not a universal option, though I honestly can’t see how one could hold on to that argument as one that plays games, as it’s just the cost of that luxury. Many people play DayZ Epoch and Overpoch on ARMA 2 OA, which is tremendously more heavy on resources of every kind across the board, and I have never heard anyone I know down under complain about such a notion.

Automation in principle already is incremental in nature, and would require no additional work except learned the use of Steam’s SDK tools to make said patches. As work would then process toward removing unnecessary network functionality from the current launcher, one would realize the only really useful or sought after function that would utilize network code in the launcher would be a multiplayer games list counterpart to a Steamquery API solution. An agreement with Valve would allow rapid integration with its native and widely used server browser, which supports games such as ARMA 3 and Natural Selection 2 as well as Source games. Especially considering that Gamespy is in its grave now, it’s not reasonable to spew conjecture about bucking this upward trend as many are soon to follow.

I for one strongly disbelieve that this venture will set you back further than a week or two so long as you have your ducks in a row, as you already have the launcher in a working state. I can understand one point about this transition being the settings format and idealistic use of Steamworks API to save cloud data, which includes resolution, quality, profile customization and other parameters. From the get-go these should have been initialized after the game was launched, not before as it is currently.

Having programmed my own XML save formats for various tools in the past, I did so knowing by definition they are JSON compatible, unlike traditional binary payloads. But it’s important to note one could still use binary formats encoded as base64 as is a happenstance in common practice, whilst using existing API’s and not making duplication risking further quality issues by bugs, with only modest time spent doing so.

Thank you for your time and continued efforts on the project. To those else, thank you for reading.

Steam is a great way to go. I have Steam, and I like that it updates my game automatically. Also it’s convenient for the developers to add release/patch notes on the front page. Thank you for this glorious game developers! Progress not perfection!

-Skid

Steam is already an amazing option. I have been telling everyone I know about Automation, but they always tell me later that they can’t find it (probably because the name coincides with other things you can Google). Putting the game on Steam means skyrocketing visibility and marketability. Accessibility for future players is a built in feature, and Steam is great for connecting players with other players without the use of dedicated servers. I think it’s a much better idea than having a standalone launcher.

In my opinion Steam only option is the best.
I personally don’t mind Steam “holding” my keys, they are reliable and well organized company. I would trust them anyway as I’ve done with 25 my other games saved on Steam.

This is great advantage to have more time. Making two platforms compatible is really annoying and long process.
Disadvantage of making people create account… Well I think registration is really simple and most of the time they’re servers are running perfectly (I personally use Frankfurt). About safety: as other people mention: do not save credit card info on your profile, that’s all.

My question is, what prevents you from accessing it via Steam. As this may be something we can fix?[/quote]
My Windows computer lacks internet. I can run the launcher via Wine and update that way, but this is unlikely to work with Steam.

I’m sorry but while I am a petrolhead I’m not very proficient with computers.

What would the change to Steam mean compared to today’s straightforward (to me) approach?

Can someone enlighten me?

Steam would most likely be the best option for the majority of players, so that’s what I’ll go with.

STEAM allows you to run the game offline (offline mode had a major rework and finally has been working without issues for a few months/years), you only have to be online when registering the game (which I think is the case even with current launcher, correct me if I’m wrong). There is also an option for the developers to use STEAM only as a store/downloading platform and not use steamworks, so the game works even without launching STEAM (for example older Paradox games like Hearts Of Iron 3), but I think you can’t then use all the steamworks goodies like achievements, cloud saves, workshop, multiplayer etc. There is a reason Paradox moved from that model to full Steamworks integration despite opposition from some hardcore fans.

I voted for the third option since i do not use steam and would not want to open up an account over there. If you dont want to play online would it be an option to get a download of the full version when it is done (non steam/non launcher) and then get patches from the forum?

Just an idea, might still be more work so i do not know if it helps :smiley:

[quote=“Ferrer”]I’m sorry but while I am a petrolhead I’m not very proficient with computers.

What would the change to Steam mean compared to today’s straightforward (to me) approach?

Can someone enlighten me?[/quote]

It’d be similarly straightforward, instead of installing the Automation launcher you’d install the Steam client and there would be a button in there to launch Automation. Patches would happen automatically with no input from you as long as Steam was open. That’s really all that’s much different.

Out of interest, why would you not want to open an account there? Quite a few people seem less willing to create a Steam account than an Automation account and I’d like to know why.