Home | Wiki | Discord | Dev Stream | YouTube | Archived Forums | Contact

Taimania Motor CO. - 1952 Zed Mk. I

Taimania is a Japanese Manufacturer founded in 1950 by a young rich man by the name of Hanaki Taimania leaving his parents expectations behind to follow his dream of building a dream vehicular market for Japan. Taimania is a known competitor of Kadett Motor Co. and Blaire Automotive. Taimania is the 12th largest automaker in Japan and growing.

Hanaki Taimania - 1922 - 2005

Current Models

Taimania Delstor (Fullesize SUV)
Taimania Mika (Compact Coupe) (Kei Car from 1950-1962)
Taimania Zed (Midsize Sedan)
Taimania Yonezawa (Fullsize Sedan)
Taimania Saint (MPV)
Taimania Ashton (Midsize SUV (JDM ONLY)
Taimania Ritoruyutiriti/Daimo (Small Pickup)
Taimania Heikin (Crossover SUV)
Taimania Monetsu (Luxury Fullsize Sedan)
Taimania Jinzo (Compact/Offroad SUV (JDM ONLY)
Taimania Keijidosha (Kei Car)
Taimania Ereganto (Luxury Fullsize SUV)
Taimania Oki (Large Pickup)
Taimania Keizai (Hatckback/Compact Sedan)

Defunct Models

Taimania Poni (Muscle Coupe)
Taimania Haitatsu (Utility Van)
Taimania Chita (Sports Coupe)
Taimania Keroguu (Compact Car (JDM ONLY)

(monty python intermission music here)

1950-1962 Taimania Chita Gen1

Taimania wanted something else than just 2 sedans a pickup and a kei car. So they went to design a new car. The product that steamed out the drawing area. The 1950 Taimania Chita. It looked weird at first. Having an incredibly simple design, and despite having a small V8. It made 100hp and 0-60 in about 13-14 seconds.

It didn’t come with a monocoque chassis until 1953 when it started becoming popular. So it first came with a ladder. It had Double Wish Front and Springs in the back. Most likely leafs but since the blue print copies have been lost. We can’t find out. It came with a standard interior, but without a radio. Had Medium Compound tires and was pretty low. Lower than quite a lot of cars from that time.

It wasn’t rear-engined like a lot of cars at the time. So when cars that had sort of the same body came in. Engineers would have to see the Chita first since cars that shared the same body would usually be rear mounted engines. It had a tad bit updating in 1954 with the addition of a radio and sports compound tires. Either than that. It was a basic, pretty popular, affordable sports coupe.

Taimania Motors “Movin’ Right Along”

1950.5-1961 Taimania Mika Gen1

Taimania needed to make a seriously affordable car for the low end market. So they came up with this. The Mika. The Mika comes with a 300cc I3 making 17hp and is literally a moped. It has a top speed of 52-57mph and 0-60 in 999s, but on the bright side you get 25mpg sooo. That’s good right?

A bigger engine wasn’t added until 1951 as well as a monocoque chassis and different springs. It was then that they changed it to a 360cc I5 making up to 25-30hp and a top speed of 70mph. The mpg did get a bit worse at 20mpg and was overall better than the Moped engine.

The Mika was criticized for it’s really small slow engine and poor build quality. They could even make it light. It weighed up to 1098lbs. But eventually got lighter when they lowered the build quality more. They did add a Radio…in 1953 which upped the cost by about 10%. It finally in 1962 that they changed the Mika to a Compact Coupe which gave them the opportunity to introduce the Keijidosha. Since the Mika became a Compact Coupe the Chita started losing sales as the Mika was more sporty and better in overall quality. So by 1975 the Chita was taken off the market.

1950-1960 Taimania Oki Gen1

Taimania needed to make a utility vehicle as they were in high demand especially for post war Japan. Then they shitted out the Taimania Oki. A large pickup truck (by japan standards). It was just a simple bland little Japanese truck.

It was first sold for Military use to help rebuilt Japan at the time. It first came (like every other first gen Taimania’s) with a ladder. But came with a monocoque as standard in 1953. It then came with full coils in 1953.

Trims

H: Short for Hyojun is the baseline trim.
Specs:
: 1.5L I6
: 80hp
0-60: 18s
Towing: 1,900lbs
MPG: 20
MSRP: $1,500.00 ($15,800.00 in inflation)

Y: Short for Yoriyoi. Is the second trim.
Specs:
: 2.0L V8
: 90hp
0-60: 16s
Towing: 2,400lbs
MPG: 17
MSRP: 2,100.00 ($22,100.00 in inflation)

T: Short for Tsumatta. Is the highest trim.
Specs:
: 2.5L V8
: 102hp
0-60: 13s
Towing: 4,050lbs
MPG: 8
MSRP: $2,500.00 ($26,300.00 in inflation)

1950-1961 Taimania Monetsu (Gen 1)

The Monetsu is a Full-sized Luxury Sedan. Made specifically for celebrities in its first several years, making models from 1950-1956 rarer than models from 1957 & onward. Taimania really wanted to go all out on this sedan, but not too much. Having only one trim in its first generation.

It came equipped with a 5.1L V8 making 100hp and 0-60 in 14.5 seconds. The interior wasn’t anything special, just a premium interior with a standard radio as that was what was in their price range at the time. The Monetsu would go on to be a serious collector’s item. With only 525 still existing, and only 3,422 ever built.

1987-1994 Taimania Keizai Mk. II

When the 80s hit Taimania was at a real struggle to stay known. With their competitors Kadett & Blaire getting on top with cheaper/better quality vehicles. Taimania started a plan to make higher-quality cars, than what they did previously from 75-86. They came up with the Keizai Mk.II, a small compact liftback & 3-door hatch.

The Keizai released in late 1986 made originally as a step up from the original Mk. 1 and a rival of the Albatross and Beat. They focused on getting good drivability with good towing/load capacity with a cheaper engine, coupled that with a little simplistic look gave the car a good reputation and giving a fair competition to the Albatross and Beat.

1988-1992 Taimania Keizai Hatchy Mk. 1

The Hatchy is the worse looking yet more higher quality version of the Keizai. This one was the most advertised out of the two. It didn’t work as well as planned with the Hatchy only selling 1,792,450 units for its generation, unlike the liftback which sold 3,120.000 in its generation, though for it’s the second generation they were for conservative with the advertisements. In all the Keizai would fail to beat the Beat (pun intended) and Albatross.

The Keizai only came in two trims. . .

• H - Base Trim
    1.9L I4 Taiman A Engine
    84hp - 100lbs ft torque
    2335lbs
    0-60: 13.4 seconds
  • Comes With:
    Basic cloth interior w/ standard cassette radio
    5-speed Manual Transmission
    Spare Wheel
    Manual Locks & Windows & Seats
    2/1 Piston Solid Disk Brakes
    600/500 Towing/Load Capacity
    Basic Air Conditioning

Price: $7,350.00 (16,600.00 in inflation)

• Y - Highest Trim (now second-lowest trim)
    2.0L I4
    92hp - 107lbs ft torque
    2234lbs
    0-60: 12.2 seconds
  • Comes With:
    Standard cloth interior with w/ standard cassette radio
    Spare Wheel
    Manual Windows & Seats
    2/1 Piston Solid Disk Breaks
    650/590 Towing/Load Capacity
    Power Locks
    Standard Air Conditioning

Price: $7,600.00 (17,200.00 in inflation)

The Hatchy came in two trims. . .

• H - Base Trim
    1.9L I4 Taiman A Engine
    84hp - 100lbs ft torque
    2335lbs
    0-60: 13.4 seconds
  • Comes With:
    Basic cloth interior w/ standard cassette radio
    Spare Wheel
    Manual Locks & Windows & Seats
    2/1 Piston Solid Disk Brakes
    600/500 Towing/Load Capacity
    Basic Air Conditioning

Price: $7,400.00 (16,750.00 in inflation)

• Y - Highest Trim (now second-lowest trim)
    2.0L I4
    92hp - 107lbs ft torque
    2234lbs
    0-60: 12.2 seconds
  • Comes With:
    Standard cloth interior with w/ standard cassette radio
    Spare Wheel
    Manual Windows & Seats
    2/1 Piston Solid Disk Breaks
    650/590 Towing/Load Capacity
    Power Locks
    Standard Air Conditioning

Price: $7,800.00 (17,660.00 in inflation)

Promo Photos:

Taimania Motor CO. ®

Happy New Year from Taimania! See you in the future!

Sub-100 horsepower on the top trim was par for the course in the late '80s/early '90s. Even so, a hot hatch version would have been welcome.

I’m deciding on whether I want to make a rally car version or not, but I gotta finish some things before I do that so if I do decide it might be a bit later. Though to be honest the Hatchy does do pretty decent on Beam, but I think it might be do to it’s relatively small size making it look faster.

1952-1961 Taimania Zed Mk. I

The Zed was the first car Hanaki and his friends ever designed, though he held it back in favor of other vehicles until a small budget family car would be needed in the brand, and by this time Hanaki never really could think of a name for the car…so he just went with Zeddo. That being Zed in Japanese…

The Zed’s designing stood out among the Chita, Oki, Mika, and Monetsu. That being it was the first car designed by Hanaki and that it also had sort of different design cues making it look a little unique from the others. Since the war had ended 7 years prior and people started making babies ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Family cars and pickup trucks were all the rage, so the Zed and Oki quickly became the company’s top seller with a total of 1,415,347 units sold in its first 4 years making it Taimania’s 2nd most quickly sold and most iconic car.

The Zed comes in 1 trim. . .

• H - The base and only trim (circa. 1950-1961)
    2.0L I4 NiniP Engine
    77hp - 100lb-ft
    2024lb
    0-60: 16.6 seconds

• Comes With:
    Basic fabric interior w/ air conditioning
    3-speed Manual Transmission
    Spare Wheel
    Manual Locks, Windows & Seats
    F/R Drum Breaks
    3,250lb Loading Capacity

Price: $900.00 (8,700.00 in Inflation)