Tannberg Automobile - TBA

nice Moggy Minor :wink:

1 Like

Even got the colours bang on!

but all jokes aside, these are fantastic vehicles
i wanna be like this when i grow up

The Apolon MK I :weary::ok_hand::droplet:

Mulio

The Mulio is the cheapest car TBA has ever produced. It was aimed at the eastern europe markets during the late 70s and 80s and stayed in production until 2004. It was a cheap and sort of reliable
car, available as compact, sedan and wagon. It was constructed under licence in multiple USSR countries, making it a common car up until today.

Vehicle specs:
Chassis: Monocoque
Drivetrain: FWD
54-57 hp
1099cc I4
Gearbox: 4 speed Manual
Weight: 780-820kg

Mulio wagon

Mulio compact

Mulio sedan

BeamNG LINK

13 Likes

Peak Breeki

2 Likes

Oh man I want that :weary:

Oh yes. I could totally see some forgotten, rotting Mulios in places where time stopped in the 90s… The last two shots are very climatic and realistic. But why frame? Not even real commie cars were that crude.

Ooops, it´s actually a monocoque, its a mistake in the description, thanks for noticing me

3 Likes

It’s…it’s so…basic!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

In poor markets where basic transportation is a top priority, this would have been a very popular car indeed.

The Gladius

The Gladius was TBAs first proper sports car. It was first presented to the public in November 1951 but not sold before February 1953. This was mostly due initial engineering problems concerning the brake setup and suspension tuning. After lengthy testing and working the car was finally ready to be sold.

Also TBAs first factory race car derived from the Gladius. The 1.3 R, which was raced even before the official sales began at the 52’ Corso di Fruina, where it was among the fastest cars in the starting field.

The street version was powered by a 1.6 L Boxer 4 cylinder, producing just short over a hundred bhp. The goal was to create a light and nimble car to tackle small and windy mountain roads.

Vehicle specs:
Chassis: Monocoque
Drivetrain: RWD
105hp @ 5700 RPM
1587cc B4
Gearbox: 4 speed Manual
Weight: 750-760kg
Factory price (1948): 8548$ (0%markup)

Gladius 1.3R

The Gladius was initially developed to have a competitive race and sportscar among the TBA model lineup.
So parallel to the street version, a race version of the Gladius was worked on.
The result was the Gladius 1.3 R which deputed at the 1952 Corso di Fruina and brought TBA the overall Time victory as the fastest car in the field.
Racing Results Corso di Fruina
Needless to say, racing successes and history like that, made the Gladius a rather good sale on the small sports car market up until the early 60s.

The 1.3 R was powered by a 1298cc B6 engine, producing around 125 bhp.
Originally the car was planned to bear a 2.2 L engine, but the brakes were insufficient to support the higher power.
On the early models, due to the lack of potent brakes, the car had to be made heavier on purpose and the poweroutput of the engine a bit lowered. So the early cars could not live fully up to their potential.

8 Likes

Genius MK III

In 1978 the third generation of the Genius was launched. There weren´t too many updates from the last one, mostly the styling. The engine line up was upgraded and reached from 90 bhp base model to a premium model producing 125 bhp.

Genius MK III Coupe with vinyl roof option

Genius MK III Sedan in basic trim with vinyl roof

New for the model year 1979 was the Rally edition. It featured a 2L engine with 160 bhp at 6500 rpm. This was TBA´s strongest I4 engine yet. The whole engine family still dates back to the TwinCam engine from the MK I Genius, launched in 1963.

A 1980 Genius Rally in classic TBA colour scheme.

Genius MK III Rally in action

Vehicle specs:
Chassis: Steel Monocoque
Drivetrain: RWD
90-160hp @ 6000 6500 RPM
1539 - 1989 Inline 4 DOHC-8
Gearbox: 4-5 speed Manual
Weight: 850-960kg

New models coming in at the dealer in fall 1978

7 Likes

Centurion

In 1986 the Centurion was launched. It was not only the deput of the car but also the first appearance of the new 5.0 V12 engine, designed as a successor to the older 5.3L Powerplant.
In the comfort trimmed Centurion it produced up to 314 bhp in the final edition from 1996.

Some period advertisments

6 Likes

Arion MK II

In 1984, the second generation for TBA´s middle class was launched. It was available both as saloon and estate.
The standart engine was a 2.6L V6 producing 160bhp.

More interesting than the base car is probably the Arion V8 R. It derived from the DTM race cars and has not much in common with the base model.
It feautres a 3.5L V8 engine, a stiff suspension setup, different tires, bbs rims and, most important, a huge wing.

6 Likes

Oh hey, basically my brand is called Arion :thinking: Arion Automotive & Racing Co

1 Like

Yes I have already noticed :sweat_smile: , even your logic of car nomenclature is rather similar using a lot of creek (and roman?) mythological names…
I made the Arion as a model a bit before your car company popped up (—>) so I decided to leave the name for this model range.
Good thing you posted all your car model names in your first post. So I can then check and try not to interfere with your names since we both use mostly greek mythological names for the cars.
My name logic is either greek or roman mythology, or roman army terms, like weapons and ranks etc. Your list is very useful, I only think of a new name after I made a car which is then completely random :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

1962 TBA Chimaera

Introduced in 1962, the TBA Chimaera was a car of superlatives. Designed to cross continents in ease and luxury, the car set a new benchmark for Grand Tourers on the european market.
It is the first production model by TBA to feature a V12 engine after the second world war. The newly developed, fully aluminium power plant is the first in a long row of high performance machines.

8 Likes

The Gladius at the 1952 Corso di Fruinia

This is a collection of the stage reports during the race.
Full report to be found under ---->LI NK

Hausmann and Schmied, in a purpose-built Tannberg Gladius 1.3 R. The car has a rear-placed boxer engine with 6-cylinders. With almost 150 claimed horsepower, it is the most powerful in this class. A spectacular finale on paper this.

Despite the inherent imbalance of the engine lay-out, the Tannberg Gladius 1.3 R is being driven impressively hard on the gravel tracks climbing the mountains. Hausmann is doing an absolutely fantastic job in keeping control, although the tuning of the suspension probably has a big role in that.

It is extremely difficult to make speed on the frost-patched surfaces this high through the Passo Senatore, but Hausmann and Schmied are just continuing with their impressive run in the #53 Tannberg Gladius 1.3 R.

Schmied has had no work, and Hausmann is smiling so much he cannot really be considered having worked hard either. It’s just the machine itself that took all the dirt, loose grit, gravel and ice this stage threw at it. Usually we are more in doubt as to who run the best time, but when you arrive early enough to scare the race organisation into rumour of unseen shortcuts and blast past the line at a blistering 200km/h, it’s hard to ignore the Tannberg Gladius 1.3 R for what it is; a winner.

Crowds have gathered around the Tannberg Gladius 1.3 R, which set the best time on the last stage, not only of this class, but of the whole Corso. The little race car gets going quickly, but on the twisty Fruscanian roads the understeer occasionally forms an issue. It’s difficult to gauge how fast the car is globally, as the engine is incredible, but the car needs to slow down seriously for the tight corners, giving it the impression of a less smooth run.

Out of Orta, the Tannberg Gladius 1.3 R yet again impresses on what should be unsuited terrain for a rear-engined, rear-wheel-drive race car. The #53 car gets on the open and paved roads quickly, and then it unleashes all available power. Speeds up to 200 km/h are reached before the car enters the outskirts of Coma.

The spirit at Tannberg Motorsport was very euphoric when the news spread that the overall time standings were being led by the Gladius.
Expectations for the car were high, the company put a lot of money and effort into this, but technical troubles and handling issues kept the project on the edge up to the last days before the start.
Seeing it performing so well, even under these circumstances, makes up for a great relief at the whole Motorsport department.
Stakes are high for the Gladius. With the prototype being presented to the public last year, it would be more than welcome for it to gain some racing successes before the roadgoing version of the car is
launched. There is no better marketing for a sports car than an actual racing history.
The Corso di Fruina is not only the deput for the Gladius, but aswell for its newly developed racing engine, which is planned to be used in different setups and displacements over the coming years.

Despite the euphoria, there is not a minute of rest and celebration before the race is over. The car is well taken care of, expendable parts, fluids and tires are replaced, minor damages repaired.
A breakdown would be fatal so no chances are taken. Hausmann and Schmied are advised to drive carefully and bring the car over the finish line, not pushing it unnecessarily hard and risking an accident since
overall time victory can be achieved with a solid run.

At the front, two distinct groups; one about a minute away, including the Znopresk and the BAF Romulus; the other 2 and a half minutes in the lead with the likes of the Tannberg, Suzume and Corsa.

Tense moment as we almost see a crash from the Tannberg Gladius. A bit squiggly on the breaking and almost turning into a small wall, that would have been a shock for the current leader in terms of time.

Tannberg Automobile Motorsport Report

The whole Team at TBA Motorsport was noticably satisfied by the result of the Corso. No one expected Hausmann and Schmied to take the overall time victory with the Gladius. Initial goal was to come into the top 3 within its class but being actually the quickest car of the whole corso was something no one expected.
What a great start for the just founded TBA Motorsport team and a good marketing for the car which is going to be launched in a street version very soon.

Results:
Time (of cars finishing all stages)
Position Class Car Time
1 800-1399 Tannberg Gladius 1.3 R '52 11h34
2 2200-3299 WM AeroMouse Panamerica Meyers V8 '52 12h10
3 800-1399 Cisalpina Tipo 50 Spyder '50 12h18
4 800-1399 Corsa 1337 Sports '52 12h29
5 3300-… Eagle 802 '52 12h29

5 Likes

Arcus 2.0 & 3.0

In 1973, the Rally di Fruina was back, and so was TBA on the starting line. In order to have a potent race car coming out of TBA’s factory, the Arcus was developed.
It is the spiritual successor to the Gladius, RR layout, boxer engine. For homologation reasons, 500 pieces (excluding the works cars) where sold to the public.
2 cars were entered in the 1973 Rally di Fruina. Both were the fastest cars in their class when it comes to pure laptimes reaching rank 1 and 3.

8 Likes