Reveal: This Post
Specs

1992 Horizon ll -
Reveal
Specs

1994 Solar-
Reveal
Specs

An enthusiast’s dream, the 1990 Teller Horizon is a stripped-down, 7.4 liter V8 sporting roadster aiming to offer one of the most spectacular driving experiences on public roads. With a quarter mile time roughly a tenth over 13 seconds, a top speed exceeding 180 miles per hour, and cornering capabilities over 1 lateral G, the Horizon is here to prove that American sports cars are no longer a punchline.

The Horizon is all about the driving experience. Its equipped with a 5 speed manual transmission, as you might expect, but you’ll also find no driver assists here, not even power steering. You better enjoy the roar of a loud V8, because there is no way to play your favorite tunes inside of the Horizon, and don’t expect this car to be well suited to long, relaxed cruises. The seats are designed to be lightweight and hold your body in place during hard cornering, not to be comfortable. The inside of a Horizon may look much sexier than your average commuter car, but it’s about as cozy as the 1960s roadsters it takes inspiration from. That soft top isn’t going to keep out much noise, either. Besides, this isn’t a car for sitting on the highway holding a steady speed for hours on end or commuting to work in, this is a car for driving, and when you’re focused on driving you couldn’t care less about plushy leather seats and a smooth, quiet ride, right? There’s plenty of performance on tap in this car, make use of it, that’s where the enjoyment is.

No overhead cam? No problem. The Horizon’s undersquare “Superblock” V8 generates about 400 horsepower while weighing a little over 500 pounds. Despite the Superblock’s huge displacement figure, it’s small enough to fit behind the front wheels of the Horizon, granting it an impressive 50.5F/49.5R weight distribution. To top it all off, the Superblock exceeds 400 ft. lbs. of torque for almost its entire rev range and hovers above 460 ft. lbs. from about 2000 RPM all the way up until a few hundred RPM shy of the rev limiter. Step on the gas and you’ll take off, there’s no time wasted waiting for the engine to rev up and reach its power band.

Top down, wind blowing your through your hair, gliding through bends with an elegance usually assorted with European cars, and then rocketing down straights with the speed and thundering exhaust note American cars are known for, it’s hard to come by a car like this these days. If you’re ready to have the time of your life on the road, give Teller Performance a call. It’s about time you learned what pure, unadulterated driving feels like.

(Read Detailed Specs Here)

3 Likes

This is a proper muscle car, reminiscent of the early SRT Vipers and TVR Griffiths, with performance to match. What will you build next?

2 Likes

You’ll have to wait and see :stuck_out_tongue:.

A 7.4L V8 in the 90s! I’ll Take It!

Honestly though, your advertising pitch sold me on it. I want one now, even if I think the tail light treatment is a little funny.

1 Like

man this would be the perfect car to test against my Cassowary models 7.4L v8 you say…how about 8.1L mwhahahahahah

What valve configuration did you use for the Horizon? I’m not sure if it’s an HSV-style overhead-valve or AMG-style quad-cam V8 (I went with the former when I designed my own early-90s muscle car), but 400 bhp was a lot of power a quarter-century ago, to the point where the Horizon might be more likely to be considered an actual supercar.

It’s an overhead valve V8. Definitely makes a lot of power for the era, and it does so with a pretty tame tune. If I really wanted to I could get it to churn out an extra 10-20 horsepower just by upping the fuel mixture and giving the cam a little tweak, but that didn’t fit with the goals I had for this iteration of the Horizon. I’ll be posting some more information about the car and its engine soon.

I haven’t quite decided what I’m going to do next with this company, but one of the possibilities might be even crazier than that ;). We may have a displacement war on our hands.

I’m glad you liked it :smile:.

Teller Horizon Details

7405cc OHV EFI 16V V8 Crossplane
Bore & Stroke : 4.031" / 4.425"
Performance Index: 286.5
Throttle Response: 39.2
Loudness: 62.2
Smoothness:50.4
Reliability: 61.5
Required Cooling: 342.0 kJ/s
Weight: 517.8 lbs
Size: 24.922" x 21.688" x 22.546"
Service Costs: $1863.37 per year
Emissions: 656
Economy: 18.08% - 0.699 lb/(hph)

Type: 2 Door / 2 Seat Sport Roadster
Wheelbase & Length: 8’4" / 14`1"
Chassis: Steel Space Frame / Aluminum Panels
Drivetrain: Longitudinal RWD (Geared LSD)
Gearbox: 5 Gear Single Clutch Manual
Suspension: Double Wishbone (F) / Double Wishbone (R) (Standard Springs with Gas Mono-Tube Dampers and Passive Sway Bars)
Wheels: Sports Compound Road 265/45R17 (F) / 285/40R17 (R) with Magnesium rims
Brakes: 2 Piston 300mm Vented Disc (F) / 1 Piston 220mm Vented Disc (R)
Weight: 3256.6 lbs

Top Speed: 183.5 mph
Weight Distribution: 50.5 F / 49.5 R
Aerodynamic Eff.: 7.7 ft. squared
Braking (62 mph - 0): 107’ 1"
Quarter Mile: 13.14s @ 117 mph
Standing km: 23.10s @ 149 mph

Acceleration (0-62 mph): 5.0
Acceleration (50 mph - 75 mph): 2.5
Cornering Small Skidpad: 1.15g @ 33.6 mph
Cornering Large Skidpad: 1.09g @ 115.7 mph
Downforce Front: -115.2 lbs @ 124.3 mph
Downforce Rear: -116.7 lbs @ 124.3 mph
Max. Roll Angle: 3.19 degrees

Drivability: 30.5
Sportiness: 49.4
Comfort: 5.0
Prestige: 41.4
Safety: 27.9
Total Cost: 8377.40
Production Units: 82.73

Practicality: 22.8
Utility: 14.4
Offroad: 7.9
Avg. Reliability: 73.8
Economy: 14.3 mpg
Emissions: 1077.9

Fuel Type: Super - 93.1
Environmental Resistance: 66.41
Material Cost: $6929.59
Passenger Space: 2139 L
Cargo Volume: 356 L
Engineering Time: 188.35

1 Like

Coming Soon

3 Likes

From the look of things, your next car will most likely have a straight-six under its hood. But will it be more affordable than the Horizon?

Edit: I am now certain it will have twice as many cylinders as I expected. In other words, it will be powered by a V12.

Straight six? Look a little closer. This little devil is a rejected proposal for the original Horizon brought back from the dead. It’s going to be quite the machine.

That is a very very loud car. I’m not sure you could even sell the thing.

Baffled mufflers don’t drop much power, are cheap, and light, and are reasonably quiet. You should really strap them on and improve comfort while you’re at it.

Omitting the mufflers (or using a single straight-through one) is only required on race cars. Road cars must be quieter as you pointed out. If I had been the one building the Horizon, I would have used a pair of reverse-flow mufflers, which are quieter and less restrictive than baffled ones; those advantages negate their extra cost and weight in my opinion.

Also, although the Horizon uses a tube frame, why is such a chassis type actually heavier than a monocoque made of the same material in the current stable and beta builds?

I seem to recall in a Let’s Play or maybe a Dev update Killrob said that around 60 loudness is a good number for sportiness, so I aimed for that with this car. I like to imagine the Horizon is around Jaguar F Type R levels of volume, but maybe I don’t understand this game’s loudness scale. This car is supposed to be a primitive, aggressive brute compared to the competition, so I feel like the absurd loudness and terrible comfort fits.

Dual reverse-flows? This isn’t a luxury car, haha.

I think the confusion with tube frame chassis is that there are modern chassis referred to as space frames which actually have more in common with a unibody than a tubular frame. Real, old school tubular frames are a bit heavier, but they can be assembled using simpler tools. I felt it fit the lower tech theme of the Horizon better.

Edit: Oh, you meant one reverse flow on each pipe? Still a bit too quiet for what I was going for.

What’s that you say? The Horizon isn’t fast enough for you? Some of the crazier folks at Teller sympathize with you. The Horizon is a fast car, for sure, but come on. A hard top coupe would surely be lighter and sport lower drag, and why did they stop at 7.4 liters? There’s plenty of room for more engine on that thing’s chassis. The Horizon is already crazy, but why not go even crazier? Convertibles are fun, sure, and there’s nothing else quite like that V8 rumble, but you know what else is fun? Going very, VERY fast. In fact, Teller was working on an even faster Horizion before they scrapped it for the one you know today. Fortunately for you, they were tempted by the magic 200 miles per hour mark that their competitors were now approaching and even exceeding. If other people were doing it, why couldn’t they? It’d be a shame for all of that research and development to go to waste, after all. They could have road-ready examples out there long before they could develop a completely new car as well. It was just too tempting. Enter the 1992 Teller Horizon ll, it’s time to get serious.

This isn’t just a coupe variant of the Horizon with familiar, but quirkier looks. Under the hood of the Horizon ll is an 8.6 liter V12, dubbed the Hyperblock, cranking out a staggering 500 horsepower. That’s nearly 100 more horses than what’s on tap in the Horizon. Combine that with an aerodynamic undertray and the Horizon ll’s sleek hard top and you have yourself a machine capable of hitting 213 miles per hour. How many cars out there can hit that kind of speed without all kinds of space-age valvetrain technology or forced induction? Not many. A single cam, some push rods, and a heap of glorious displacement does the job just fine, and just the like the Horizon’s Superblock you’ll have a very wide power band at your disposal. How does a quarter mile time in the neighborhood of 12.5 seconds sound to you? 0-60 in under 5 seconds? You want speed? Here’s your speed, and we’re giving it to you without complex all-wheel drive systems or a motor stuck behind you.

Don’t forget that this car is a HORIZON, which means you’ll be getting one of the rawest, purest driving experiences out there. There may not be a V8 in front of you anymore, but the clear, smooth growl of a massive, low-revving V12 is nothing to sneeze at either, especially with its liberal exhaust system keeping much of the beast’s sonic glory intact. Power steering, ABS, and traction control aren’t available for the Horizon ll, granting the driver complete control over the vehicle. We aren’t ones to water down the fun with computers. Needless to say, a car this fast without driver assists can be VERY dangerous, which is why potential buyers will have to be evaluated and required to attend training courses provided by Teller Performance themselves before they are able to purchase and own a Horizon ll.

It doesn’t get much better than this as far as we’re concerned. 8.6 liters, 500 horsepower, rear wheel drive, we’re here to deliver the goods. This is pure angst and fury on four wheels. This thing has BALLS. So what are you waiting for? Give us a call to schedule your evaluation.

5 Likes

Really? I’m glad you said that, haha. This car is supposed to be very arrogant.

1 Like

You have a real hard on for the first gen Viper do you?

Not that it’s a bad thing in any way. :snake: :muscle:

2 Likes

Haha. I may open up another company to get some other ideas out there, but I wanted to inject a ridiculous, OHV-loving, brute force kind of sports car company into this forum (and yes, I love the Viper), so here we are.

3 Likes

The V12 version also has an overhead-valve engine, which is a bold choice, but one that fits the car’s old-school nature. The Horizon II also brings to mind the Cerbera Speed 12, simply because it’s one of the nuttiest supercars I have ever seen.

1 Like