The 2018 Summer Automation Collector Car Auction Challenge (AUCTION CHALLENGE HAS ENDED, THANK YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATING!)

All the money from previous auctions is gone. Really, I had to; one of the reasons why things got so out of hand was that there was just too much money chasing around not enough merchandise.

The catalogue will be the same as last time. If you want to send four pics of each car go ahead, but at least two per car is appreciated!

Also, I will be publishing a quick guide for sellers about what makes a strong auction lot and what doesn’t. To tide you all over until then, I will say this much; this is a beauty contest first and foremost. Cars with obvious care and attention going into their design sold far better on average than rush jobs…quality is far more important than quantity!

12 Likes

I understand why each bidder now gets a limited number of snipe bids - they were so common in the previous auction that it felt unfair at times. Hopefully this second auction won’t be as rife with them.

2 Likes
18 Likes

So You Want to Auction Your Car? A Quick Guide to How The Auction Works

Based on the previous auction, the cars that were successful could be divided into two different categories; cars that sold for considerably more than their estimated value, and cars that sold for large dollar values - there was no crossover whatsoever between the cars that beat their estimate by the largest amount, and the cars that sold for the highest dollar values. Both of these categories had some distinct characteristics:

Highest Percentage Over Estimated Value

• Generally low list price
  • Usually low to very low prestige (but not always)
  • More of an everyday or working type of vehicle (family cars, work trucks, etc)
  • Typically very carefully designed, with good style and thoughtful use of fixtures

Highest Dollar Value

• Fairly high list price (though not always the case)
  • Average to high prestige
  • Tended toward older designs (early 1970s and older especially)
  • Very carefully designed, with good styling and thoughtful use of fixtures

You will notice that in both categories that the cars that did well were very carefully designed and were well-styled. As I mentioned earlier, This is a design competition in essence, and it should come as no surprise that the best performing cars were the best to look at!

With that, here are some things to avoid for any prospective sellers:

• Modern cars tended not to sell for much more than their estimated value (unless they were helped along or were very special in some way)
  • Race cars were a real wildcard; some sold very well, others sold very poorly
  • Cars with haphazard or careless design and fixture use tended not to generate much excitement in the bidding process

Hopefully this gives you all some insight into what makes for a good auction lot and what doesn’t!

20 Likes

OK, with two weeks left before the auction lot submission deadline, here’s what we have so far:

Auction Stats
Total Bidders 10
Total Auction Lots 26
Total Estimated Value $6.515 million

Keep the cars coming in - and if you don’t want to submit a car, you’re always welcome to sign up as a bidder - we always need more bidders!

11 Likes

Coming up for sale in this auction will be this restored 1938 ACA Corona.

Information on the car’s origin can be found here

The car has been painstakingly restored by 75 y/o Jeremiah Woodard, after he found it hidden away in a barn under a tarp in 2007.

After 10 years the car was fully restored using spare refurbished parts as well as brand new custom fabricated parts, made to specification to ensure authenticity.

Now as Jeremiah reaches 76, he fears that he will no longer be able to enjoy the car and feels that it should belong to a new owner, willing to look after such a rare car.

And with only 2100 of these cars ever being made during the period 1938-1942 and 1946-1948, this is indeed almost a one of a kind.

22 Likes

It is a rare moment in history as, for the first time in 21 years, the Evanham Collection is about to lose a vehicle. After business Entrepreneur Michael Evanham started the collection, he has gathered over 400 cars into his huge museum, ranging from the bizarre SpaceDragon Minibus to the Beautifully crafted Sakura Dutchess 25x.

Here, however, we see the legacy that started Bramhalls rise into the history books as one of Britain’s Great Automotive manufacturers. The Firenza Super S.

This particular model is Production No. 2, and was the first Super S sold on the market. It has shown itself to be one of the most beloved cars ever produced by Bramhall. In fact Michael Evanham, the founder of the collection, had taken this exact model to goodwood on several occasions despite a lack of factory support from Bramhall (Who didn’t start officially attending Goodwood until 2005).

As it stands this car has laid out a legacy with its beauty and finesse, and now it will be up for sale at this years ACC Auction.

8 Likes

There are four days remaining to submit auction lots; this is the rundown of where we stand:

Auction Stats
Total Bidders 18
Total Auction Lots 39
Total Estimated Value $12.200 million

Keep the cars coming in - and if you don’t want to submit a car, you’re always welcome to sign up as a bidder - we need more bidders!

15 Likes

1984 FAAL Tetra TDC - One (and a half) owner, ALL ORIGINAL

QUIRK CLASSICS SàRL, Molsheim, is auctioning a wonderful find: A pristine condition, all original FAAL Tetra Tour De Corse.

Only 200 cars built and sold in early 1984 as a Group B homologation special, the Tetra TDC was the pinnacle of the Tetra lineup, even after the Evo 4 went on sale in 1988. Four colours were offered: Noir de Jais, Gris Titane, Blanc Banquise and Rouge Ardent, and 50 cars of each colour were made. The engine was a toned down version of the race variant of the 255R21 engine, a 2141cc SOHC-4V turbocharged 5 cylinder. In the TDC, it made 275hp at all 4 wheels through FAAL’s soon to be famous TETRA AWD system. The race engines pushed more than 650hp in their latest versions.

This particular model is Blanc Banquise, which is the most sought after colour due to the actual rally cars having a white base. It belonged to Stanislas Barilloux, entrepreneur from the Vosges region of France, who initially bought it new as an investment, but ended up falling in love with it. Letting it sleep in the arranged living room. Detailing it every month. He drove it regulary for 24 years. Week-end summer cruises, local car shows, the occasional mountain pass. He clocked 72000km, until his health degraded and he was more or less forced to lock the car in his living room in 2008, only able to watch it without driving until his death in 2014.

That’s when QUIRK CLASSICS SàRL acquired the car, lucky for the CEO being a friend of Stanislas. And what a car it was. Not a single bit of rust. Not a dent. Not a paint chip. The car really had been cared for. The service book notified of regular 5000km oil changes at the nearest FAAL dealership, and everything was original.

QUIRK CLASSICS SàRL kept everything as it was and gave it the little shine it lost over the years back. Deep washing of every single part of the engine bay and chassis. Repainting of chassis parts. Every single gasket of the engine changed. Rebuild of the original turbo. Of course, not a single mile has been driven by the people of QUIRK CLASSICS SàRL in the four years they owned it. The original 1984 license plates and yellow headlights are still mounted on the car, despite the SIV registration being done in 2014.

The original safety triangle, full size spare, jack, first aid kit and owner manual (within pouch) and everything that came with the car when new, including the certificate of authenticity, are there.

Extra pics

9 Likes

Devil’s Rods is proud to announce the Desert Car replica from AutoTrackmania will be here!

12 Likes

How long do I have? I’ll probably send the entries in a few hours.

6 hours and 5 minutes as of now.

OOF. Get that entry going Conan! I can’t wait to see the brochure tho.

I’ve just registered as a bidder, and submitted quite a few entries.

my lot’s will be flying in ASAP HOLD THE GODDAMN BOAT

I might have one more lot for you. If I can get it loaded.

Wait I thought that’s what happenned anyway when you won an auction :o

The deadline for auction lots has now passed. Interested bidders can continue to register. All lots that have been received at this point will still be processed.

The auction catalogue will take some time to finish; expect it in the next couple of days.

19 Likes

At the expense of a double post, here are the stats for the auction, now that we have all the lots in:

Auction Stats
Total Bidders 29
Total Auction Lots 92
Total Estimated Value $20.685 million

With 92 lots in this auction, we will be auctioning off five lots per auction cycle (36 hours) for a total of four weeks.

15 Likes

Damn I didn’t have the time recently to send you my other cars. I’ll get more next time then haha