The 2020 project car challenge (part 2: Results!)

This car is HEAVILY based on my recent purchase of a 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2005 DURENDAL HAVANA

Big, safe, full-sized car. This was my grandfather’s car that he left to me when he passed. But I already have my own car and I don’t have the space for it.

THE GOOD
Car is currently inspected and runs great! Low miles (109k). Transmission was replaced 800 miles ago. Has a full set of really nice tires on it, as well as snow tires for the rear. Most things work like they should, and it’s a solid car.

THE BAD
Car hasn’t been driven too much lately and the battery has trouble keeping a charge. It may need to be replaced. Climate control is stuck on defroster, no matter what setting you put it on. Passenger side-view mirror seems to be hanging on for dear life. Front right tire has a slow leak.

THE UGLY
Ok… the original paint is pretty oxidized on the roof and trunk. The driver’s front fog light is being held in it’s socket with packing tape. The rear bumper has a pretty big split in it. Also some minor scratches and parking lot dings. That’s the exterior…

My grandfather was a smoker. The leather interior is all there, but it needs a total cleaning. The seats look dirty and greasy, like an old baseball glove. I really don’t know how to clean it, and I don’t want to ruin the leather. It needs a TOTAL cleaning.

This would be a great car for someone with a little know-how (and patience). They made a million of these things, and they’re the same as Armor Briar police cars and taxis. Parts are still readily available and cheap. Asking $2600 obo.

A couple more pics

8 Likes

Beautiful car!

1 Like

Easily the best use of modern fixtures on a classic body I’ve ever seen. Normally I would be averse to such an obvious mismatch between trim and body unlock years, but I’ve grown to like it.

1 Like

Thanks! I know it’s always a risk choosing older bodies, but I was hoping it would work for such a decidedly old-man car.

1 Like

1992 Bogliq Brioche 321B For Sale!

It may look like a clown car, but the joke’s on you if you don’t buy it today!

Price: $2,995

Points of interest: Convertible (!!!), manual gearbox, V6 engine, potential collecter’s item!

Here at Honest Abe’s Imports we only source the best and most fascinating cars from the US; we also do requests!

What we have here is a unique example of a rare lifestyle vehicle from Bogliq USA. Imported into the USA from Japan, the Brioche convertible rolling shell was then fitted with the drivetrain from the US spec Bap Sprint 321S (same chassis but compliant w/ USDM rules). There were about 5k units sent to the US before production switched to the new model, making this version a rarity in the US (heaps were sold in Japan though).

This car was bought by a comic book store proprietor who then painted the car in The Joker (of Batman fame) colours to use as a promotional vehicle. We imported it in 2008 for a local Bogliq enthusiast who just recently traded it in so we know it’s history since arriving in Sweden. If you’re looking to stand out from the crowd then you cannot go wrong with this l’il beauty!

Authenticity notes: If you go inspect the car you’ll find a less than perfect paintjob, some light panel rust, interior is 95% (worn but still intact), roof raises and lowers fine but slower than spec, tyres are cheap and the exhaust is clearly rusty (but no holes… yet!).

3 Likes

are clown themed parts available?

Selling my 1989 Rutherford Sparra with 150k miles. Price $3000 OBO–I can’t carry a carseat in a one-row and don’t have time to maintain it, so it has to go. Mechanical condition is adequate; the chassis and body are in good shape and I replaced the engine and transmission with one out of a low-mileage total about 30k miles ago. This also comes with a boxful of assorted parts–since Rutherford stopped making parts for it I’ve tried to snap up any I come across in case I need them (which has been often; 1980s technology wasn’t up to making such a high-revving engine last at a economy-sport price point).

The Sparra is a storied Marque (at least among fans of obscure sports cars), but some interesting design choices in the 1989 variant made for about the least successful of its revisions. Fitting a mid-engine in such a small chassis made for a tiny engine bay, and getting adequate performance out of a necessarily-small engine compromised efficiency and reliability. That said, it’s a very fun drive–you just can’t find cars under 750kg anymore, and if you haven’t experienced the responsiveness and feedback of such a light car with unassisted steering you’re in for a treat. Absolute performance is mediocre, however; even revving to the skies (and the annoyance of the neighbors) the tiny engine produces less than 100hp. It’s no track car, but if you enjoy driving slow cars fast this could be the car for you.

I expect the present engine/parts supply will last another 100k or so. If you’re up for the project and find an engine small enough you might swap the engine–power and poor engine life are the main issues with the car.

3 Likes

1988 ASB Polka W fire squad car

A piece of Archanan (automotive) history

You’ve all seen it and heard the stories - the Polka by ASB Avto & Tractor was the car that mobilised the masses in Archana. It was available in sedan, wagon, van and pickup truck form, stayed in production from 1948 until the mid-1990s with only minor changes, and was ubiquitous especially in rural Archana, with over 5 million cars sold over its entire lifetime. Except for a brief period in the 1960s and 1970s, it was available solely on the Archanan market until new safety legislation finally forced the end of the production.

This example here is a 1988 Polka Wagon (one of the early models of the final facelift) that was in use in the Archanan Hinterlands as the command car for a local volunteer fire brigade until a couple of years ago and has been sitting in a barn since.

The ladder frame chassis and the body are both in surprisingly good condition, given the notorious lack of rustproofing even in the late Polkas - the dry Hinterlands climate probably helped. The 898cc single carb I4 (20 kW) still runs (sort of) but needs attention - as does the 3 speed automatic and the drum brakes. The interior is at its most basic, worn from over a decade of fire squad service and stripped of all fire squad gear and equipment.

Selling this car for $500 OBO to someone who values this piece of Archanan history (and not just automotive history) and has a plan to either put it on the road again for a good use or preserve it (e.g. as an event or museum car).

2 Likes

Nope, the Swedish importer dumped all the comic book junk when they prepped the car for initial sale in 2008, hahaha!

Nooo! the clown parts

If you’d entered a car built on our SPP… maybe you’d be able to get some GMI made clown parts…

1 Like

It’s the same timeframe so it should have been a rebadged SPP. But I lost all my files, thanks laptop for dying!, so I had to make something from scratch…

So, until 4.2, I will be making quasi-canon cars; after 4.2 I’m going to be VERY busy, hahaha

1 Like

I’m doing a Gen 2 re-design anyway, so I’ll shoot some files over soon. I’d also expect a bunch of new GMI engines once the turbo update is done

1 Like

Ouch. Computer failures suck, and that’s speaking entirely from experience.

1 Like

4.2 is gonna have me horiffically busy… with balance shafts and the turbo update. I’m more intrigued for the superchargers to follow. In GMI lore the St models normally are supercharged (turbo post 2008) and RS cars are turbo with awd. Unless it has a Turbo badge, like a car I’m working on called the Pico, a small car that’s replaced by my entry to this challenge.

3 Likes

I kinda wanna put a V6 into it to get up further in the charts but when I tried, mass wheelspin

@Knugcab Are resubmissions allowed?

No.

2 Likes

Oh okay

THE TRAFIKJOURNALEN OFFICE, JANUARI 2020

-Well, no more 2019 project car then.

-Yeah, apparently there was someone that wanted to buy a bodged together cheap RHD Dickson Basker with a mould smell. Let’s get something else for 2020.

-Where do you think we will find another bodged together cheap RHD Dickson Basker with a mould smell anyway?

-True.

-So, have you found anything interesting while browsing through the classifieds?

-Well, the first candidate is a third generation ITA Cuter, 1982 model year… (@Prium)
bild

-Now stop joking!

-Nah, it is true, if not the whole ad is a joke, but the guy seems to be serious. It appears to be an import from Argentina.

-Probably. Now that would be a cool car, no question about it. Though I have no experience with them.

-Nobody has in Sweden, but rumours say that they were gas hogs but really fun to drive with good driving dynamics.

-Yeah, is it beyond repair though? I can’t imagine that getting spares will be an easy task.

-Seems like it is possible to get a nice car out of it with just some small tweaking. But still enough to write a good series of articles about it.

The ITA Cuter ticks all the right boxes and will be considered as a candidate for the 2020 project car.

-How about the next candidate then?

-A 1988 ASB Polka W. (@AndiD)

bild

-Lol. Please tell me you mean 1958, right?

-Nah, they were produced for like, forever.

-It has an history as an Archanan fire chief car as it looks like. Cool in its own special way, but maybe a bit off for our readers taste.

-It should really get in the right hands, and I am not 100% sure that it is in the hands of us.

The ASB Polka W will not be considered as the 2020 project car for Trafikjournalen, but the ad was passed over to its sister magazine “Kommersiella klassiker”.

-So, the next car then?

-A 1989 Rutherford Sparra. (@Blothorn)

bild

-Oh my god, they were so fun.

-Yeah and they kind of have a special cult following, one of the true analog and manual sports cars, no electric gizmos in the way for true fun.

-The engines were prone to breakdown though, which may or may not make the project more interesting.This one has a low mileage though. I’d say let’s gamble!

-Yes!

The Rutherford Sparra is a fun car that will be interesting to many of the readers and will be considered as the 2020 project car for Trafikjournalen.

-Anything else that seems to be interesting?

-Yes, a Bogliq…

-(gasp)

-…Brioche…

-(GASP!)

-…convertible. (@HighOctaneLove)

bild

-Now that’s something actually. Convertibles on a budget are always interesting. Any drawbacks?

-It is repainted an even uglier shade than Bogliq blue.

-Maybe we can do a cheap repaint as part of the article series. It seems to be kind of sound otherwise.

The Bogliq Brioche will be considered as the 2020 project car since it has some points that can make it an interesting project for the readers.

-Now, if that Bogliq is a POS, do we have any alternatives?

-A 2005 Durendal Havana maybe. (@GassTiresandOil)

bild

-Why not, we haven’t had a yank tank as a project car since like forever, if ever.

-It has some usual “grumpy old man” wear and tear, may be a fun car to have as a project.

-We can always, you know, like…

-Please don’t!

-…make America great again!

-Let’s keep your bad sense of humor out of the project articles then, please!

Since there will always be readers that still are watching Kojak reruns, the Durendal Havana will be considered as the 2020 project car.

-Or maybe we should consider something different after all?

-How about a GMI ZX16? (@LinkLuke)

bild

-Thanks, I hate it.

-Just look at this ad. “Boo hoo, feel sorry for me”

-Looks quite unmolested though, can be about time to save it from that moron.

-An interesting car for it’s era with advanced technology after all. And it is getting rare. But I am a bit skeptical….

The GMI ZX16 will be considered as the 2020 project car despite some doubts.

-Since I am still skeptical about the GMI, do we have something else to check out?

-A freshly imported Sinistra Traville maybe? (@Madrias)

bild

-Traville, well, a bit bland but still an interesting car, kind of a sleeper with lots of interesting technology for an 80s yank.
-Yeah, and maybe an article series could spawn some new interest into the model. Seems to be in a not too bad condition but still some work to do on it.

-We can always visit the dealer, it won’t hurt.

The Sinistra Traville will be considered as the 2020 project car since it is a more interesting car than it first may appear like.

-Many modern classics here, do we have something older?

-A 1961 NAM station wagon maybe? (@Restomod)

-Nah, looks like it has been messed with too much. I don’t get a good impression.

-V8 swapped, cheap so probably some hodge-podge and a rattle canned flat black bonnet. Nah, let’s pass on this one.

The NAM 171W will not be considered as the 2020 project car but the ad was passed on to the sister magazine “V8&Yankee custom magazine”.

-I’m getting tired now, don’t we have enough cars by now?

-Just one more. A Hakumai Crest SX. (@interior)

bild

-OH MY GOD, did they sell more than like, three of them?

-86 hp single cam RWD, it was the perfect hot hatch of the 70s, in 2004.

-They made good track day cars though, with lots of tweaking.

-And that is not really what we are after. It was a truly underrated car in some ways, but it’s mainly forgotten now.

-Honestly, I don’t see lots of reasons to choose this. And besides, look at how old this ad is.

-Yeah, probably already sold, he only forgot to remove the ad I guess.

The Hakumai Crest SX will not be considered as the 2020 project car. Angry e-mails from weebs are probably going to drop in soon because of that decision.

So, the finalists are:
@Madrias
@LinkLuke
@GassTiresandOil
@HighOctaneLove
@Blothorn
@Prium

9 Likes