The 2021 24 hour clunker run (Epilogue part 1)

imma join in hopes of it not requiring about three months of waiting

tho imma probably recycle most of last years team as the brick-Dione is still working

Only track I can think of is Anderstorp
Also count me in

Nah, the new system for breakdowns I am thinking about is partly to make the writeup less heavy and more fun for me, so there will be less risk of the delay from last time. Also, the fact that St1letho was the obvious winner and also banned from the board killed some inspiration for me even if it wasn’t right that it would make everyone else wait for it.

Hmm, Anderstorp. Is there a flying start version of it?

2 Likes

I’m definitely interested; I’ll have to contact VicVictory to see if there’s an Ardent that he’d like me to practice on, hahaha!

2 Likes

One idea could be to look into DerBayer’s Autoverse track pack - there are some shorter and more varied tracks in there.

I found this track pack, which have a model of the Höljes race track, and if I understand this right, the second lap time will represent a lap with a “flying start”, or am I wrong?

Count on Team Racing Stripes entering with a bit of a classic. I’m sure their half-broken-down old Sinistra Traville can turn a few laps since someone rebuilt the engine.

1 Like

Do the cars need to be compliant? Id use my totally not a barebones 00s Japanese Hatchback but ive used that car twice in Trafikjournalen

Well, I can make the Sidewinder V8 fit into that P/W ratio in the Traville, and the lore for the car would still make sense (it’s had a hard life, after all), and 233 horsepower for 2568 pounds comes out to that 0.12 on the Test Track tab. Still more reasonable than the blistering, insane 350 horsepower it had before.

Regarding realism, would it be considered realistic to have ripped the factory intake manifold off and bolted on a carburetor? Otherwise, this engine fails right away due to being over PU budget. Lore-wise, one of the team doesn’t understand computers at all, but he can damn-near build a carburetor from scraps in his sleep, and I disabled the VVT because that’s controlled by the ECU that will no longer be there.

2 Likes

I can maybe look at raising the PU limit by some extent, it is just something I came up with after looking at a couple of test engines. Maybe a bit too harsh if it excludes a bog standard 80s V8 just because it has EFI. You know how it is after the two last rounds though. There is always someone that manages to squeeze a full blown sports car into the ruleset, and I can’t blame anyone that is working within the rules after all, though it kind of hurts the spirit a bit… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Eh, the Sinistra L-series “Sidewinder” V8 is not exactly a bog-standard V8. It’s a 5.2 liter, SOHC-4-Valve, 60-degree V8, mounted transversely in a midsize. I’d say the PU limit is fair. I swapped out the crank and the intake manifold to squeeze this monster engine in under the rules, then detuned the crap out of it.

1 Like

my take on this:

ditch the quality slider rule, as that is already covered by ET (especially the positive limit; the negative one seems much more warranted to avoid minmax)

are we still allowed to run multiple seats/ safety other than none?
i’d like to re-enter last years entry and see how that goes

3 Likes

No $$$ limit? 'cause I started some engineering and am pretty far removed from ‘clunker territory’ already…

Thanks for input. I might add a price limit too, yes, don’t take them as the final rules yet… it was just so much discussion about the price limit the last time so it made the mods delete hundreds of posts…no I am not kidding, hundreds. :flushed: A bit afraid of ending up there again…

1 Like

you could archive the ensuing discussion here, rename this to reflect the rules discussion and move the actual event into a new, clean thread

3 Likes

I second this notion.

As well, COUNT ME IN! :smiley:

I think esp. for the car the limitations to ‘just’ +2 sliders, with prescribed -1 tyres, no safety, entertainment and interior take away a lot of need for PU/ET.

I still don’t want hundreds of posts where 80% of them are just whining from people that can’t make a 959 fit inside the rules. :joy::joy::joy:

My only real concern on a price limit is that the Traville is, other than the V8 engine, meant to be loosely based on a Ford Taurus. (The V8 is the GS-HO, which is a playful mimic of the real V6-powered Taurus SHO.)

I mean, I suppose I could run one of the V6 versions, but… given the crew that will be driving that car, I don’t think the V6 would survive that long.

That is mostly correct. In the ARXL tracks, the first sector is Lap 0, which is the standing start in the start chute, all the way to the start/finish line. The second sector is the flying normal lap, and the final sector is the flying joker lap. Tracks with short first sectors might not allow for a full flying lap time (just a limitation of the game unfortunately), but Holjes is not one of them.

1 Like