The Automation Gamer Challenge [NEW THREAD]

Talking about being a dick.

3 Likes

I wish I was that good at liveries lol

I mean, we don’t see your entry you know. @Xepy really does a good job on designs and the creativity and patience for liveries.
If you have a said 10/10 Design then why not show it to the rest of us and not downplay others.
I know I’m never going to win any beauty pageants or points on style :stuck_out_tongue:
If this were indeed a beauty pageant, we all just lost now didn’t we.

Very true, everyone’s entitled to an opinion but it doesn’t mean they should share it without a solid base for feedback upon. That’s why I don’t criticise that much because most of the time I think my cars are just gonna get it back :joy: also wd on FWD class. My random added time killed my position in ATAC

I’ll take constructive criticism so I can build even better cars and nicer designs. I did get a lot better on my cars when it came to building. Yet my styling needs more work, but with practice and time and patience, I can create something good. But as you seen in my FWD class for ATAC, I can do a frick tune to Yeet.

I know testing takes a while, but do you have an idea of when results come out?

Hi there

Sorry for it taking so long but i was slapped with working overtime due to foreclosure of the store i’m working at as well as moving in with my girlfriend (the moving was planned, the overtime not so much)

But here goes:

(this will be short and not so sweet)

Looks:

Milae Vertex Touring Car (Pantera BLU #7), 100pts
The Maler 42F-TC, 50pts
Shunga Kaisei, 90pts
FWM Junko TCC Spec, 70pts
Brantan Pegassi RS300, 90pts
Marquez AOSol GTQuatro RacersClub, 90pts
Beifang Yalu 1.5 Cup Car, 80pts

Engineering (and here comes the fun part):

A little introduction… Most of the cars are using Direct Injection and Single point injection, which makes for a severly choked injector, and that means in racing condition, it will probably give in pretty fast as it is being pushed over its limit constantly. This is not good engineering, it’s lazy building.

Only one (Maler 42F-TC, almost 200kg below lowest weight) didn’t really read the brief, so is disqualified.

Milae Vertex Touring Car (Pantera BLU #7):
Frontwheeldrive and 321 hp from a turbocharged 1.5l I4, Good choices all around, tho the quality of the tires is a little over the top. A bit stiff in the suspension department.

Shunga Kaisei:
Frontwheel drive and 403 hp from a turbocharged I4 makes it the most powerful car of the pack.
With a good engine, built from shitty parts, this is the most powerful, tho it will most likely fall apart during a race due to high strain (-5 quality on a lot of parts). And with a weird aero setup and almost stiff rear suspension, it’s going to oversteer.

FWM Junko TCC Spec:
FWD and 261 hp from a turbocharged 1.5 liter I3 is in the lower department of power. With small front brakes with lots of pistons and racepads all around, it’s highly overbraked, the ABS will have to work overtime in this car. It had to much downforce to start with, so it will get some deduction for that too. And the rear suspension is pretty stiff in this car too.

Brantan Pegassi RS300:
RWD and 312 hp from a NA 3.0 liter I6. The first rearwheeldrive car, and a nice one to boot. Staggered tires (210s front and 225s rear) gives it a slightly higher servicecost. Carbon ceramic brakes a slightly over the top and makes the car overbraked. This and the fact that the car has 5 standard seats and an entertainmentsystem, goes to show that it’s not really made for racing, but rather a really sporty familywagon. Active springs and dampers consolidates this.

There are some cars left and i will make some beautyshots as well when i return with the final verdict tomorrow night.

Until then

5 Likes

Is everything ok, @gridghost?

It indeed has been nearly 2 weeks now. We would appreciate some sort of status update at least.

Almost 3 weeks now…should we state some sort of time rule for next round if there is one?

Yeah fr now, if there isn’t an update from gridghost I think we should let someone else host through a poll or something

I’d just let it slip away peacefully in the night, most of the rounds have been the same anyway

Agreed, it all seems to be touring cars or rally cars. No real variety.

Well, it is “games”
Want to give an example where you play as a typical Karen dropping off the kids? yeah. Goodluck. The point of the challenge was to have interesting game designs, something along the lines of reality, but also with enough taste to seem unique to that game.

As stated by the first post:

(I’ll explain the third point a little clearer)
The car needs to be relevant to that challenge scenario, if its inspired by NFS U2 then some sporty hatch with neon underglow would be good. If it’s Colin Mcrae rally then a rally car. It has to look the part.

The end bit is just a cool photoshop rendition of the winning car, and there can be multiple catagories and honestly this is the best part. I love being able to choose what catagory to go for, maybe you cant design high power cars for shit, but a small beater is perfect.

There is no reason for the challenge to die, it’s pretty unique and it’s not the same as CSR, it’s not the same as CSC. It is more specific than CSC because you’re not designing a beleiveable car, it’s for a game. It can be as outlandish as you see fit. So, somebody. Please. Host the next round, lets get this sorted.

3 Likes

My car is technically in the lead of the results released so far and I do have an idea that hasn’t been done yet (very mid 2000s NFS style) . Do note I’m not particularly good at driving in Beam so I won’t continue that if I do host.

I will need some time to get things ready and I will be busy in the early next week so if anyone else has ideas we can put it to a vote or something. Otherwise if people are okay with it I can get something going by next week.

5 Likes

Does the simspons hit & run count as a typical Karen (Marge) dropping off the kids?

Could have an Automation challenge about a fantasy Automation game in which you make a brown ecobox. but at that point it probably would be way too meta-commentative.

Jalopy or MSC style would be nice

LeMons-based restrictive budget mixed-condition racing game.

OR a Destruction Derby game, where cars have to be light, fast, and safe as can be.

AGC 7 - Cops vs. Racers

With another title of the Night Racing League nice and wrapped up this year, for BigBox Studios it was once again time to reach back into their ol big box of ideas for their next title. The publisher had given them a 2 year development cycle, giving them a fair bit of time to develop for their next game. So, do they continue what they’ve been doing, or go down a different route… or perhaps, evolve?

BigBox’s titles had plenty to do with street racing in the past. High stakes, police chases were all part of the deal and for the most part, the player would play as a racer escaping the cops. Sure, there was some multiplayer modes that experimented with using player police chases, but it was never a central focus. Fans often ask if they were to be the cops sometime, it was definitely a popular idea. Perhaps this time, was the time they gave the fans a taste of what the police had to offer.

Initial development was fairly smooth. Much of the driving engine and graphics could just be polished and upgraded for the next title (Night Racing League: Anti Street Racing Division or NRL:ASRD). The map for the new game, the fictional Ashencrest, was also progressing along nicely. However, with the studio usually having the street racer cars, the police side was awfully thin on choices. Just a few cruisers and some “high end” units were made before. There was going to be a lot of designs needed to fill the list to make the police side a fun and varied experience…

Rules and Restrictions

-NRL features many cars, ranging from old to new. Things that are iconic are always wanted, even concept cars that may never see the light of production. Year range therefore will be from 1980s-2012, with 2010+ being concept cars.

-No body type restrictions but sports and supercars are prefered

Production model limits:
Minimum 2 full seats
98 RON fuel
200 ET Engine
200 ET Body

Police variant limits:
Trim year 2012
Minimum 2 full seats
98 RON fuel
200 ET Engine
200 ET Body
Advanced 10s safety

All in all very unrestrictive.

Judging

I will be looking at two cars, one stock variant and one police variant. Both will be judged, with one stock car and one police car to be on the cover. This will be primarily judged on aesthetics, but I will take performance into account as well if there are some strange performance decisions that would not fit the game. Think of it as an 80/20 split. There will be some bias to newer cars (to keep with how 2000s racing game covers were done) but a good design on an older model will definitely work and be considered.

Suggestions and inspiration

As you can tell this one is very much inspired by NFS Hot Pursuit and the like. So here are a few pictures for roughly what I’m looking for:
Pictures

Real cars:

NFS:

Though black and white liveries are to be expected, feel free to experiment. This is a video game afterall!

Submission Guideline

Model name: AGC7- (your forum user name)

Trim name: Your car’s name (Stock/Police)

Engine name: Your engine’s name

Engine trim name: Your engine’s trim

The two cars should be of the same model, different trims

Post a picture of your submitted car in this thread and PM me with your two car files.

No resubmissions, make sure everything is all good before you submit!

All mods are allowed

I will allow submissions from both stable and open beta. Please tell me which version you are on in the PM. I am currently on stable so I will judge entries on stable before Open Beta ones.

Entries open on 00:00 GMT December 16th and close 00:00 GMT December 23rd.

Rules and regs are subject to change but as they are quite open it is unlikely to change.

Goodluck Havefun!

I said mid-2000s but I instead went with your choice of early 2000s or late 2000s...
12 Likes