The best communist cars?

Like this one:

The BYD Qin. Turbo-Petrol+Electric Hybrid car with 200+hp, goes from 0 to 62mph in just about 6 seconds, and the overall package is good with charming aesthetics, too! Apparently the most sold hybrid car in the world, and that even despite it not being offered globally!
BYD also entered these in apparently the toughest rally in China, too. I want one.

1 Like

It isn’t derpy, it’s sad. Original one knew that she was just made to test new tech and will be crushed

1 Like

Tatra’s large sedans spring to mind. The T603 and T613 were genuinely sophisticated cars, with far better built quality than their russian counterparts (it’s part of the reason why these two exist at all), and unique design. The T603 is delightfully 1930 art déco futurism with its zeppelinesque streamliner design, but the Vignale-styled T613 too was a handsome car in its early form, with a superior dual ovehead cam V8 mounted closer to the middle giving it a noticeable edge in terms of driving dynamics.

5 Likes

But it was state approved! Unlike a certain peoples car of the GDR:

4 Likes

And I have a new dream car - Tatra 603… This body has to appear in Automation at some point :slight_smile:

Speaking of Tatra, I feel the T700 fits into the “ugly cars you think look cool” class

5 Likes

Oh yeah, the 603, those looks soo cool! Also, you guys probably never saw this but here’s a ZIL 112 stationed here in Riga Motor Museum.

The first time I’ve seen it from a far I thought it was the 250 or a cobra, my shock to find it’s a Zil was quite immesurable.

6 Likes

rear engined sports car made by AZNP in Czechoslovakia

2 Likes

Nice you mentioned Tatra! When I read up on the Tatra 87, I was amazed to find out that the engine and transmission were made out of magnesium! In the 1930s! Not to speak of it being a rear mounted 3l V8!

Pretty intriguing designs Tatra made, that have apparently also inspired the design of the VW Beetle!

Alright, magnesium blocks should become an option for engines in Automation from the starting times on :stuck_out_tongue:
*Actually, I know the VW Beetle also used magnesium on their engine. However, both the T87 and the Beetle were air-cooled. I suppose the reason why there’s no magnesium block since the 40’s in Automation is because all engines are assumed to be water-cooled, and a water cooled magnesium block may have only been done just that much later?

3 Likes

Is that some kind of race car? Are those pipes exhaust headers or part of the frame?

They were building entire race cars out of the stuff… until they realised that Magnesium sorta combusts.

Here’s a nice little video of the point in time where we realised that Magnesium race cars were a shit idea (NSFW?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEk85gKJN6k

2 Likes

i stand corrected, then.

Is a racecar, and yeah, those are headers. the thing is super loud. They have to drive them on a regular occasion to keep them in working order, so they use the Bikirnieki racetrack which is exactly where the museum is situated. It’s a very cool unmuffled v8 glory of a sound. Burns rubber pretty damn well too.

1 Like

Those were great; functional, capable, practical. Perfect for locations with shitty infrastructure.

Although they still make it for some reason, even though it’s utterly dated by now and the build quality has been crap for over 20 years.

5 Likes

That indicator placement.:rolling_eyes:

“Crapski, they forgot the indicators. Imperialistic saboteurs clearly, kill them all.
Then get some proper Party approved designer to add them.
Make sure he is politically secure, never mind if he can design.
Only decadent Imperialists cares about that” :grin:

They’re nicknamed “eyebrows” in Russia.

Not a car but definitely a vehicle! The Soyuz spacecraft has outlived all competitors and is currently the only game in town if you want to go to space…

Soyuz for the win!

I think the Soviet Union did their best when they made things based on utility. Their off-road vehicles and some of their on-road vehicles were built to withstand far worse than anything a Western car would see. But in every other area the West kicks butt; giving the people what they want as well as what they need tends to have that effect! :grin:

1 Like

People want? Soviet people do not want. The communist party knows what people need, communism provides, comrade.

4 Likes

The best things built by the Soviet Union are things that kill (AK-47, T-34, Mi-24…). If you’re not planning on using it to set somebody on fire, then quality probably isn’t on your priority list.

3 Likes

Is it not obvious?

Comrade nerd has shown that when all the decadent capitalist pigs crash, burn, or blow up, we will rise! Full glory to the motherland! (soviets internally)

6 Likes