The BRC is dead... [NEW CHALLENGE DISCUSSION]

More importantly, it’d be more relevant. The classic Porsche 911s were notorious for spinning out at the slightest throttle misapplication, and they didn’t even have an engine output in the three digit kilowatts.

Even race drivers prefer a car that’s easier to control.

[quote=“AshleyBlack”]I think running teams of one, two or even three of the same or different cars from the same company should be allowed if they pass a qualifying round. That way we have only the best cars on the track to have an awesome race. Then if there is one company whose car never qualifies, they can team up with another company.
Also if we run multiple cars from the same company I think it’s be really cool if we have separate classes. One class for all out race cars and another for race versions of our street cars (lets say to meet that requirement the street version must be displayed on our Automationhub page??)[/quote]

I have an AutomationHub page but I don’t think that ANY contest should require cars placed on Automationhub to be “allowed” to compete. Sending the car’s .lua should be the only requirement as too much emphasis is currently being placed on Automationhub which is a third party site (which technically breaches the forum rules). Since AutomationHub charges real money for extra space over the basic allocation, making listing cars there is “forcing” people to use a site that they may not wish to use for financial reasons and will only serve to alienate some participants. I personally feel that it is needless bureaucracy which has no real benefit to the Automation community (users who want to use AutomationHub are already using it) and only serves to provide potential benefit to the creators of AutomationHub.

As for the qualifying cars so that only the “best” cars run; the simulation can handle a lot of entries so IMO that should be the cutoff. When there is over 30 unique entrants per race, that would be the best time to discuss qualifying…

No offense intended but I don’t want to see 3 strop or leonardo clones racing each other, I want to see (at least!) 30 unique players of Automation win, lose and have accidents; all at the same time!!! (Thanks to Der Bayers excellent program!)

None taken. I want to see variety in the field and the element of random chance, “human” error (our driver is a tad erratic, after all), and the potential for anything to happen!

yeah, I meant that qualifying rounds could give the cars their place on the starting grid. So if there’s a max of 30 cars and 31 entries, 1 car wouldn’t make the grid. As for the Automationhub homologation idea, I do see how that could be a problem for some people, but I personally think it’d still be cool to have seperate classes with some sort of homologation requirement for one

[quote=“AshleyBlack”]
yeah, I meant that qualifying rounds could give the cars their place on the starting grid. So if there’s a max of 30 cars and 31 entries, 1 car wouldn’t make the grid. As for the Automationhub homologation idea, I do see how that could be a problem for some people, but I personally think it’d still be cool to have seperate classes with some sort of homologation requirement for one[/quote]

I have no issue with some sort of homologation requirement, just that it should be one based on Automation itself rather than a third party requirement. Usually things like minimum safety and reliability requirements are used to tone down the Krazy-builders (yes strop, I’m looking at you! :stuck_out_tongue: ) and restricting applicable body choices can also go a long way towards a homologation style parity.

I’m all for clone cars when the entrants list isn’t large enough and I personally feel that some sort of roleplay would make this aspect more interesting; as per my previous post a strop backed team locked in a deadly struggle with the leonardo backed team… Some drama would really spice up the action IMO! I just don’t want the older players to be over-represented at the expense of newbies, if that makes any sense :slight_smile:

Since this isn’t about the driving, but rather about the car building, I see no point in having two cars made by the same person. If one was chosen to crash, bad luck, next race you can only do better. Qualifying would be a nice thing, to get cars properly lined up, especially considering how the AI will work.

And no offence taken, HighOctaneLove, it would be pretty boring to see two or three equal cars competing against themselves.

Actually, I’d like to see emissions and safety as the requirements. If you design an unreliable hunk of turbocharged scrap metal you have a good chance of being awarded a DNF anyway.

An emissions requirement stringent enough that you need to do more than just use a three-way cat to get in under it.

[quote=“Sayonara”]
Actually, I’d like to see emissions and safety as the requirements. If you design an unreliable hunk of turbocharged scrap metal you have a good chance of being awarded a DNF anyway.

An emissions requirement stringent enough that you need to do more than just use a three-way cat to get in under it.[/quote]

I don’t see too much the point of emission requirement at the moment. It’s an “arbitrary” value that fill a gap until further game development (tycoon).
Safety it is a more interesting requirement to apply.

In the case of purpose-built race cars, I agree. Who cares about emissions.

When defining what Automation’s equivalent of a “street legal production car” is, though, I think that it’s an excellent benchmark. Emissions standards in real life are one of the major factors that dictate the legality, and therefore availability of a new car in a given market.

Let’s put it this way - emission standards killed the Mazda RX-8 and gave birth to the first turbocharged Ferrari in over two decades.

This is just. Wow.

All of my yes. :smiley:

I kneel before the mighty Martin.

After the BRC 2 is programmed, what kind of regulations will it follow? Will it be about cheap touring cars or more powerful prototypes? And would it be in a modern era or in the glorious past of racing? Or will you ask the community the theme for every edition?

All of those things, one after the other, I’m hoping :stuck_out_tongue:

How about all of the above-mentioned racing options AT THE SAME TIME!!! :stuck_out_tongue: Or even better, let’s send the data back through a wormhole to when Automation first started so that ALL the competitions will have been run using this excellent piece of software genius!!! :ugeek:

Could run multiple classes to allow for more variety and less cars on the track. Some ideas:

BRC Prototype - Purpose-built race cars that adhere to specific limitations (for example maximum power-weight ratio, maximum tire width, RWD only, 2-door only).
Touring, Modified - more restrictions than above, less than below.
Touring, Production - strict “road legal” requirements, whatever those may be.
Vintage & Classic - 25 years or older, and 40 years or older, respectively.

I think it’d be cool to start off in the '60s and then work our way through the ages. It’d be interesting to see how this race series evolves with it’s rules and how the cars evolve to follow these rules and go faster. But that’s just my opinion, I imagine some others might just want to jump straight into the deep (but very fast) end in 2015

I’m sure we can work out a few interesing race formats over all the years. Like always, I want to keep the rules as simple as possible though, like in the original BRC.

In live chat I already offered “licensing” my challenge, so that other people can organise a challenge and just give me the set of lua files and race settings, then I can make the videos over night or something like that.

I was not going to mention that, mainly because I anticipated you might get absolutely flooded with applications! You might have to set requirements for the tournament design and submission…

But that would definitely be an offer I would take up.

Same thing here. Actually, I was just waiting for you, Martin, to go back to the live chat, so we could discuss the terms :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d quite like to see a 12 Hours of Sebring/Bathurst challenge (both very technical tracks with a reputation for being extremely hard on cars) but I suspect that would be considerably less interesting to watch in Automation form than the actual races.

[quote=“Der Bayer”]I’m sure we can work out a few interesing race formats over all the years. Like always, I want to keep the rules as simple as possible though, like in the original BRC.

In live chat I already offered “licensing” my challenge, so that other people can organise a challenge and just give me the set of lua files and race settings, then I can make the videos over night or something like that.[/quote]

[quote=“strop”]I was not going to mention that, mainly because I anticipated you might get absolutely flooded with applications! You might have to set requirements for the tournament design and submission…

But that would definitely be an offer I would take up.[/quote]

Welcome to BSLL 2!!