The Car Shopping Round 104 - Time to take the Outback out back

No, it’s not. Economy is distance/ volume used, consumption is volume used/distance, and 3/4 of the world use it.

3 Likes

Aight, let's see here

Hidden Problems

EDIT :
Somewhat, the trim reliability became a liability. In the end, it was really difficult but jey, 2000s right?
It’s seldom, meaning the first time, that I’m the first to submit an ad. Feeling kinky now!

8 Likes

Actually, when you think about it, I often wonder why we don’t use that in the U.S. It was particularly relevant back when gas was $4+ per gallon (and every mfr was making a hybrid version of their car).

Say my daily commute is 100 miles: I’m determining whether I should buy a SUV that gets 15 mpg, or a minivan (at the time) that gets 20 mpg; now also consider that there’s a hybrid version of that same SUV that gets 18 mpg. On the surface, it doesn’t really look like that big a difference between the three. The SUV will consume 6 2/3 gallons, at $4, each and every day; the hybrid version costs $15K more, but uses 1 gallon less per 100 miles every day; and the minivan has a higher annual service cost, but only uses 5 gallons every day. Commuting 210 days a year, you end up spending a lot on gas; but using mpg, there’s extra steps in determining just how much.

2 Likes

Thought I’d have a crack at this one seeing as the scenario is pretty interesting… But god damn the trim PU!

god%20damn%20pU

Also, in the excel doc - the “niche factor” formula is different in the first row causing comparison issues. Is the first row correct (-7)?

=IF((D7/2+ (E7-7) )/1202^(C7/70)>0.1,(D7/2+ (E7-7) )/1202^(C7/70),0.15)
=IF((D8/2+ (E8-5) )/1202^(C8/70)>0.1,(D8/2+ (E8-5) )/1202^(C8/70),0.15)

4 Likes

I’m guessing only the first row is tuned for the calculations of this challenge? Otherwise why would there be only row with a slightly different formula?

I sure as hell hope not! I have 12 cars in that spreadsheet and decide for on in line 8.

Even if it is just for that one row, duplicating the file and pasting the stats of the car from line 8 to line 1 of the new file shouldn’t be that much of a hassle.

True, but I already submitted

1 Like

I’ll have to, with utter regret, scrap this car because I can’t just bring the cost below 12k without sacrificing important figures. Cookies for whoever guesses which car I loosely tried to replicate.

2 Likes

Since it’s not a problem on your end but a because of how the spreadsheet is made, I think carlover would accept a resubmission

2001 AYO NR3

Cheap: Yes
Schport: Yes
Boost: Yes
Econ:Yes
Tofu Delivery: In 25 minutes or your money back

The back

9 Likes

But why would he need to resubmit (only if his price is more than 11k) only the ad price is worong. Or am I missing something?

I’m not saying he needs to. I’m saying that if there’s a reason for him to wanting to resubmit, he probably has an option to do so

1 Like

I didn’t touch that part, so that’s definitely a mistake needing to be addressed. I’ll edit the spreadsheet when I get home.

The formula on the first row of the spreadsheet is the correct one to use.

If you used any other row and submitted your car already, let me know and if the difference causes your car to change price brackets I will allow a resubmission.

4 Likes

Okay, so first thing after turning the key when I get home, is checking my pricing.
If you don’t hear from me again, I’m dead because the stats don’t work.

Also, I wanted to be in the 5000$ league for a private owner car.

Dude I think you’d rather want to add stuff to your car. The first row has the most reduced pricing of all. Relax man

1 Like

my car is approx 400 dollars difference… and considering i had to make loads of sacrifices to get it under 5k, would this also warrant a resubmission?

Anybody up for a half-assed 2003 Subie? Has premium interiors and can plough through snow. Also is faster than OPs Legacy.
Also, @thecarlover Corrosion Res. Steel is not bare steel as you mentioned right? RIGHT?
EDIT: I’ll PM the car to you after you confirm this

We’d like to point out that Hitomoji Motors is a Japanese subsidiary of Vector Motors, thank you

5 Likes

I smell Hyundai Lancer Evo Sti!

Also @kobacrashi I save around 200$, which is nice, but I think I stay with this. Of course, this would give me quite some room for refinement, but it’s also cheaper and he can buy an aftermarket exhaust for the few bucks saved.

2 Likes

Does anybody have the correct excel table?