The Car Shopping Round 130 - Retail Therapy

edited it in as the first bullet point, as you are the furthest up in the thread

also added the posts below mine to the fire

2 Likes

2020 RCM Hudson 2500 CSV Borealis

Get a heavy duty truck like a real man. 6.3L V8, full leather interior, and offroad package included. $66,000 MSRP.

7 Likes

Submissions are now closed! I have entries from:

@Vena.Sera423
@variationofvariables
@yangx2
@nightwave
@Xepy
@DoctorNarfy
@Dorifto_Dorito
@Urke101
@vero94773
@SenseiB12
@Falling_Comet
@OME
@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
@Fletchyboy100
@Mikonp7
@GassTiresandOil
@Regenfrosch
@On3CherryShake
@Knugcab
@Riley
@Tzuyu_main & @Ryan93
@Jaimz
@Spot
@Elizipeazie
@Lazar
@Aaron.W
@GROOV3ST3R
@mat1476 & @mcp928
@vouge
@thecarlover
@MagikarpDrowned & @AMuteCrypt

let me know if you submitted and I missed you.

13 Likes

Because I have no creativity for a truck brand I’m digging up a corspe of a former light truck maker

Presenting for your consumption!

The New 2020 International Roadstar 1000 Series Pickup Trucks!

After a 45 year hiatus, International is now releasing a new line of light duty trucks.

At the top of the 1000 line sits your chariot to freedom, the Roadstar 1035. Equipped with our new gasoline fueled Red Diamond 450 Cubic Inch V8, the 1035 offers best in class power and torque*. We didn’t forget about getting that power to the ground either all 1035 trucks are equipped with a heavy duty 8 speed New Process automatic transmission and transfer case.

Providing unmatched comfort and reliability, the Roadstar is the most refined truck in its class.

1 Like

Gallery

THE TRUCK YOU ALWAYS WANTED.

When nothing can stop you, you’re given permission to stop at nothing to reach your end zone. Go as far as you dream, then go beyond. Forea Atacama is purpose-built to take you to your next adventure with all your toys in tow.

Atacama is the truck that never compromises, for the driver who doesn’t either. You want power? The available V6 offers 276 horsepower and 251 lb.-ft of torque. Are you ready to leave roads behind? Atacama FRD sport is the truck built to dominate the off-road tracks, all while being sophisticated on the road.

16 Likes

Due to the severe issues with the most recent update, reviews will be postponed.

18 Likes

I had planned on spacing these out, but instead you’re getting the 1st and 2nd rounds of binnings in one.

CSR 130 Eliminations Round 1

These trucks were unable make Darren stop thinking about his ex wife at first glance. At least not in a good way.

@Jaimz Franklin Marshall XTrailWay Executive

This unusual shape rocks a 5 valve per cylinder twin turbo 3 liter V6 with hefty lag, among the lowest HP and torque figures, and among the lowest reliability scores in test, not helped by it’s use of hydropnuematic suspension. On the positive side, its massive wheel/tire combo and solid axle suspension front and rear give excellent offroad capability, despite road-oriented tires.

@Regenfrosch Albula Motors Sylvan

Powered by a 6 liter twin turbo flat 6 making a wholly unimpressive 281 hp at it’s 4900 rpm redline. Despite the underwhelming turbocharged engine, fuel economy is an also unimpressive 15.9 mpg, not helped by it’s hydropnuematic suspension. It’s stats are OK, but Darren isn’t a fan of the 4 seat interior or staggered tire widths.

@Knugcab IP Taiga

A mostly reasonable truck, with quite good value for money, but with questionable styling and rock hard suspension that gives 2nd worst-in-test comfort. The fact that it’s a 4 year old truck doesn’t help either.

@GassTiresandOil Armor Anvil Scout

This compact retro truck is hiding a dark and expensive secret: It’s body is made of carbon fiber. The overall price isn’t as sky high as you’d expect given that information, but still high for it’s size, and the truck suffers from poor comfort.

@Spot International RoadStar

International is back, and with a truck that’s just alright. The IH and International logos are nice touches but the rest of the truck is a bit dull and the headlights are triggering Darren’s arachnophobia. Mechanically it’s all reasonable choices, but it doesn’t excel.

@Urke101 Canyon U54 MasterCab Platinum

A unibody chassis, in a truck this big? REEEEEE
The front end is nicely styled, but the rest of the truck doesn’t live up to the nice first impression the grill makes. The 5.3 liter, 5 valve per cylinder turbo V8 makes good power, but is a bit laggy and gives the truck among the worst reliability scores in the test, not helped by it’s hydropnumatic suspension. Despite the fancy suspension, it also is one of the least impressive offroad, and runs staggered tire widths.

@Fletchyboy100 Brantan Mountaineer ZL4

This truck, while not necessarily ugly, looks straight out of 2005, not 2020. Despite it’s large size and HD diesel engine, it’s on an LT mono chassis, and has individual rear seats instead of the rear bench Darren prefers.

@SenseiB12 Crusoe Bronto Extreme Edition

The stylists went all out on the details on this truck. Some work, like the badged running boards, and some don’t, like the 10 side exit exhaust pipes that will undoubtably be damaged the first time it heads offroad. Due to the angle and placement of the headlights ends up looking bored or sad rather than angry. 8.5 liters of V10 in this midsized truck is a brave choice, as are 6 piston calipers on both axles. The truck scores OK, but reliability is poor and the price pegs the budget.

@nightwave Staier J100

like the Brantan, a truck that isn’t ugly, but feels outdated for 2020. It’s a reasonable truck, with no odd engineering choices that aren’t to Darren’s liking, but lacks comfort and pegs the top of the budget.

Eliminations Round 2:

These trucks intrigued Darren, but didn’t warrant a closer look after a little research.

@Mikonp7 Stag Squadron Helious

The absolute madlad, he actually did it.
So, despite looking like a big rig, this is the smallest truck submitted. This cursed body has a wheelbase and overall length in compact truck territory and an overall width about a foot and half narrower than a conventional pickup truck. Needless to say, comfort and safety suffer. Its use of an LT mono with MacPherson struts and hydropnuematic suspension are not what you’d expect looking at it. But you’d also not expect it to be so small. This optical illusion of a truck will go no further.

@Lazar INANIS GREAT MOO V8

Another absolute madlad.
This impressive Liberian recreation of the INNIS seems not meant for the American market. With a torquey turbo 4, manual transmission, dual bench interior, nonvariable hydraulic power steering, and negative quality abound, this massive truck comes in as the cheapest entry by a long margin, and while not without merit its stats are predictably poor.

@OME Alaska Grizzly

This truck looks brilliant from the front, and has the best looking interior, hands down. However, the rear end doesn’t quite match the level of excellence set elsewhere, with awkward exhaust placement, non-wraparound taillamps, and a rear bumper that looks like an afterthought.
In terms of tech, this full size truck makes too many unconventional choices for Darren’s taste, such as LT Mono chassis, fully independent suspension, staggered tire widths, and the 4 seat interior. While supremely comfortable, this truck also is one of the least reliable and most expensive to run.

@Riley Zephorus U450

A cute, fun retro-styled truck. However, truck is a relative term here: while LT mono isn’t unforgivable given the truck’s small size, the fully independent suspension gives Darren pause, as do the staggered tire widths. Despite the multilink independent rear suspension, its stats don’t excel, and the price is high for it’s size.

@vero94773 Edison HD250 Rebellion

A lot of time went into the details of the styling on this truck, and the overall appearance is mostly good. Not all of it works well though; he bumper and grille share a common theme that remind me of a latticed fence, and the grille’s thick outline but narrow width create a face that looks like it’s puckering up to give an uninvited kiss, which is a bit triggering for Darren right now. It’s close to looking great, but needs some tweaking. Also, given the truck’s power, you’d expect a more militant aggressive demeanor rather than more conventional chrome-heavy detailing.
That power? Just shy of 700 hp. In the end, it’s really too much for this truck; every stat suffers for it, the running costs especially.

@DoctorNarfy Shromet Adirondack Red Dawn Edition

Don’t let Shromet’s low quality photography fool you; this is actually not a bad looking truck. However, this midsize suffers from the same primary issue as the Edison: Power over everything. 580 hp isn’t the earth shattering 693 of the last truck, but it’s still more than this smaller, lighter truck can reasonably use, and it’s stats suffer for it, particularly in reliability. Safety is also worst in test besides the STAG.

24 Likes

I’ll cop to a low comfort score, but there’s no way in hell I sent you a truck made of carbon fiber. I just checked my save file and it’s corrosion resistant steel like I intended. I’m sure Automation did something when I sent it to you (I’ve seen weirder things). Doesn’t change the comfort score though.

That’s what you get for giving payload too high of a priority for a poser, I guess. :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah, even after submitting it I still thought it gave off too many “2000 Chevy Silverado” vibes but I wasn’t really sure how to fix it. And comfort has always been my Achilles heel.

On the upside, the streak continues… Yay?

Corrosion resistant doesn’t exist in the current Open Beta; it’s all treated steel now. That’s why it switched to CF.

1 Like

Oh, that’s good to know. Well, at least that explains it. Thanks!

Noooo! I thought that a lack of stand-out visuals would be my downfall, but instead it stood out too close to the ground!

Wrong thread lmao thanks discourse

1 Like

Round 3:

@GROOV3ST3R Griffin Workman 3500HD Beast Pack

A great looking beast of a truck riding on solid axles at both ends. Darren likey. Unfortunately it’s not riding on a ladder frame, surprising given it’s size and 3500 moniker. It’s huge, DOHC, 7 liter turbo 6 makes 577 hp and 821.3 lbft of torque; the biggest torque figure in test; while still getting over 20 mpg, which is quite impressive. Unfortunately, that engine also gives this truck poor marks for reliability and running costs, and make driving the truck difficult.

@Dorifto_Dorito ACA Stateline HD Peacemaker Edition.

The ACA is damn gorgeous. One of Darren’s favorites, without a doubt, with aggressive, muscular overtones that incorporates a lot of curves and angles that all compliment each other nicely. Unfortunately, the truck doesn’t quite live up to the looks, with low comfort, poor reliability, brake issues, and no standout stats to make up for them.

@Aaron.W Tanaka Biome HD Diamond

Once again, another gorgeous truck. This truck comes across as a more classy option than many of it’s aggressive rivals. Unfortunately this truck is held back by a couple factors; a 60 degree turbo V8 that lacks reliability and is expensive to run, and poor drivability partially due to the use of very narrow tires. With the price also at the top of the budget, Darren’s crossing this one off the list.

@Vena.Sera423 FWM Ranier T150

Another straightforward approach, not quite as pretty as the last two entrants but still a good looking truck. Quite a bit cheaper than the last two, the long, low slung Ranier makes no effort at off road pretentions, and focuses elsewhere, with good drivability and excellent reliability. Unfortunately for the Ranier, while a mostly compelling truck, it’s on-road manners don’t exceed those of trucks that offer more comfort and better offroad capabilities.

@variationofvariables Bayside Megalodon 6x6

A very unique approach; this 6x6 based on a compact truck will make an indelible first impression wherever Darren takes it, and is exceptionally comfortable. It is held back by only small factors; it’s 4 seat interior and poor reliability scores, but with tough competition and pushing the top of the budget, this one’s crossed off the list.

@Elizipeazie Moover T2500

The biggest boi. This hulking beast of a truck was the largest entry submitted, and also sports the most cylinders. It’s turbocharged V12, while relatively modest in displacement, is buttery smooth, reliable, but brings expensive maintenance costs. It’s a comfortable, luxurious machine inside, and while the huge size hinders drivability, this behemoth still excels offroad. Unfortunately for the Moover, this compelling package is held back most by it’s appearance, which just doesn’t excite Darren.

Congrats to the Finalists:

@yangx2
@Xepy
@Falling_Comet
@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
@On3CherryShake
@Tzuyu_main & @Ryan93
@mat1476 & @mcp928
@vouge
@thecarlover
@MagikarpDrowned & @AMuteCrypt

Darren will see your trucks in person and go for a few test drives in the next installment.

28 Likes

Congrats to finalists, tough competition this round. I totally missed that it wasn’t a ladder chassis xD oh well, lessons learned.

Damn I was confident with this one but oh well. I thought my gas mileage would of been the deathnail. Congrats to the finalists. If the Innis wins, we Riot :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

CSR130 Finals

With a good idea of which trucks to go see, Darren starts looking to test drive those that made the short list.

Nearest dealer to him is a Piedmont dealer, where he goes to check out a C1 Amarillo.

Given the truck’s high price, a cool $78,000, he’s not looking at the truck for long before he’s approach by an eager salesman. “These are very advanced” the salesman begins, “twin turbo, 32 valve V8, active suspension, unibody construction…” Darren shoots the salesman a look. “I don’t think you’ve got your facts right son, these are a real truck.” The salesman looks nervous, and acquiesces. Darren, now unsure, gets underneath the truck to take a look, and indeed, finds the truck is a monocoque. Pissed off that he was wrong, Darren calls the salesman a liar and storms off. He decides not to look at any more trucks today.

huh?

I made a whoopsie on this one. Under the chassis tab, I had entered that this truck was using a ladder frame, with DW front and Solid Coil rear. I must have carried this cell over from another truck, as looking at the truck again for the finals, I see that it is an LT mono, with MacPherson struts and solid coil rear. A ladder frame is much preferred, and once that is properly taken into account, this truck falls a bit down the leaderboard.

Next weekend, begins his search again. He’s test driving a pair of big American Heavy Duties, the DMC Savannah 9100 and the Innis Cheif Tillamook OT General Patton Edition.

DMC is a newcomer to the pickup game, but they have already made a big splash in the industry for their incredibly affordable prices. This DMC comes in at just $51,400, undercutting other heavy duty trucks by tens of
thousands of dollars. It’s value for money is undeniable. That doesn’t come without any cost though, as it’s maintenance costs are high, and reliability records are less than stellar. On first impression, the DMC is a nice looking truck, with handsome, straightforward styling. But when compared to the Innis, it seems demure, and just a little dated. Dated is also a good term to describe the DMC’s engine. 500 horsepower is a strong figure, but it’s a disappointing figure when it takes a massive 9.1 liters of V10 to get it. Fuel economy is expectedly poor at 11.4 MPG, but it as least a decently reliable engine. There are some features of this tuck Darren doesn’t like, such as the fancy hydropnuematic suspension and 4 seat interior. Compelling on paper, but in the flesh Darren sidesteps the DMC dealer and heads to test drive the Innis instead.

Unlike DMC, Innis is a known quantity in the truck game. Perhaps too known; it seems to be the target other trucks take aim at in their advertising. One look at Cheif Tillamook OT and it’s easy to see why though; the boxy machine looks mean, just a few bits of chrome away from looking like it was meant for military service. It’s 7 liter, turbodiesel I6 produces similar power to the DMC’s V10, and 100 ft lbs of torque more. That, combined with the weight savings of some aluminum panels, makes the Innis outperform the DMC in a straight line. Really, across the board, the Innis outperforms; it’s not as nice around town, as you’d expect with a solid front axle and proper leaf springs out back, but everywhere else, it’s got the DMC’s number. It’s far more capable offroad, and has as luxurious an interior and as advanced an infotainment system as you can find in a pickup truck. The Innis provides a good baseline for the rest of the trucks to be compared to.

Next weekend, another pair of heavy duty trucks. The RCM Hudson 2500 CSV Borealis, and the Seikatsu 25K HR4 HL.

First up, the Hudson. The RCM makes a good first impression, with smart, angular lines that give the impression of a Tonka truck made full size. With the Borealis package, they are impressively capable offroad; despite 35" tires and independent front suspension to compared to the Innis’ 37s and solid front axle, it trounces the Innis. Part of that comes from it’s suspension; the disconnectable sway bars are to Darren’s liking, but the hydropneumatic suspension is something Darren doesn’t understand, and therefore, doesn’t like. Reliability ratings for the truck aren’t great. Stepping in to the truck for the test drive, the interior is only a little behind the Innis in quality, and the spaceman suspension makes for a more comfortable ride. Getting on the throttle the engine is a bit of a disappointment. The 6.3L SOHC 32 valve V8 makes 394 HP and 423 lbft of torque, but with these figures the heavy truck feels quite sluggish. Disappointing too, then, that the truck gets just 10.5 MPG. Comfort and offroad capability are the RCM’s strong suits, but will they be enough?

Maybe the Seikatsu can make this decision easier. This Japanese beast comes from a long line of Seikatsu trucks that have made quite the impression on the US market for many decades. This 25K HR4 HL certainly impresses on paper; offroad capabilities are as good as it gets with 37" tires, and manual locking diffs, reliability ratings are rock solid, and safety ratings are best in class. Looks are no less impressive; bulky and aggressive, and just a few curves in the fascia to break things up. Of all the trucks, this is Darren’s favorite to look at. Getting behind the wheel for the test drive, the big beast is a bit of a handful for regular driving, but the interior is comfortable and of high quality, but not quite as up to date as the RCM and Innis. The 7L DOHC 32 valve V8 makes 450 hp and 483 lbft of torque, which move the truck smartly, if not briskly. The overall experience is a good one, and with cheaper running costs than the Hudson too, this Seikatsu gets the nod between these two, and sets the bar high for the other trucks going forward.

The following weekend, Darren checks out the a pair of midsized trucks on his list, the Edelgard Springald SIEGE and Forea Atacama FRD Sport

These two midsized trucks use more modern, monocoque construction; not Darren’s liking, but he deemed it acceptable for a midsized truck.

The Forea is, to some extent, a small fish in a big pond. Compared to the rest of Darren’s shortlist, the Atacama is smaller, less luxurious, and less powerful. Coming in at a mere $41,400, though, the value for money is impressive and have made this a strong seller. The value doesn’t stop at the purchase price either, the simple truck provides cheap running costs and great fuel mileage. The styling is handsome, well detailed and confident, with a hint of aggression; Darren’s a fan. While the 3.6L DOHC 24 valve V6 isn’t known for reliability, it makes a sufficient 274 hp and 255 lbft of torque, enough to move this truck along only a little bit slower than the Seikatsu. It’s not all positives for the truck though; safety ratings are poor, and it’s offroad capabilities are hindered by 31" road-oriented tires. With a cost of less than 2/3rds of most of the competition, it’s tempting nonetheless.

The Edelgard may be a midsized truck, but it’s a got a big heart; a 6 liter pushrod V8 making 371 hp and 395 lb ft of torque. The makes it the quickest truck yet, but surprisingly only a little faster than the Innis. With 33" offroad and air suspension, it’s formidable offroad. The interior is not as fancy as the full sizes seen so far, but is nice nonetheless. It’s a good looker as well, aggressive without overdoing it. Reliabilty ratings are all stellar too. That all sounds great, so where’s the catch? $65,900. An eyewatering $24,500 more than the budget Forea, and well into full-size territory. A tough pill to swallow. Is it worth it? Darren’s got a few more trucks to get a bit more perspective.

Three more trucks to go. Two relatively conventional Americans, and a wildcard option.

The wildcard option is Suisei’s Yama Sharyo G5, a civilian pickup version of a proven Japanese military vehicle. Similar in overal size to the other half tons, it sports a larger cabin and a smaller bed, and that cabin is decked out; the truck may look old on the outside, but the interior is as modern and luxurious as you’ll find in any truck. It’s the most comfortable truck Darren’s ever sat in by a wide margin. Despite that, it’s price is compelling; $65,500, about the same as the smaller and less luxurious Edelgard. Power comes a 5 liter turbo I6, DOHC with 24 valves, producing 430hp and 501 lbft of torque, moving the truck relatively quickly and returning just shy of 20 MPG. Darren walks away very impressed with this one, but isn’t enamored with fairly soft reliability ratings and the use of staggered tire sizes.

Warren’s XLT200 6.2 Pro4 on the other hand, might be the most normal truck Darren’s looking at. It too comes to compelling price less than the Edelgard, and a V8 nearly identical in spec too. In this bigger truck, it doesn’t have the same get up and go, and fuel economy is on the low side. The exterior is very nicely styled, and with chrome abound, it makes a good, luxurious first impression. The interior, though, is less luxurious than anything Darren’s test driven so far, bar the Forea. The Warren’s test drive leaves little impression on Darren, it’s maybe too straightforward; it does everything well, but also doesn’t excel or stand out. Combined with Darren’s distaste for hydropneumatic suspensions, Darren can safely take this one off the list.

The Rolland 2500XT Fremont Thunder Edition is on the pricey side, but compared to the Warren, it feels like a better version of the same truck. A bit nicer to drive, safer, better offroad, and fast, nearly as fast as the Innis and Edelgard. Safer too. The Rolland looks great too, a nice combination of aggressive and rounded. It’s an impressively well rounded machine, But at $10,000 more than the last two, more even than the larger, more luxurious Seikatsu and Innis, value for money is not it’s forte.

Darren’s got a lot of thinking to do.

Results

Congratulations to @Tzuyu_main and @Ryan93, Darren has decided on the Seikatsu 25K XR4 HL.

The big Seikatsu has won Darren’s heart, in a way only his wife… nevermind, no need to bring up bad memories. Excellent styling, excellent comfort, excellent reliability, excellent off road capabilities, high safety, and even affordable running costs. Darren has never felt so masculine.

Top 10
  1. Seikatsu 25K XR4 HL @Tzuyu_main & @Ryan93
  2. Innis Cheif Tillamook OT General Patton Edition @yangx2
  3. Rolland 2500XT Fremont Thunder Edition @On3CherryShake
  4. Suisei Yama Sharyo @Falling_Comet
  5. Edelgard Springald SEIGE @Xepy
  6. Forea Atacama FRD Sport @vouge
  7. RCM Hudson 2500 CSV Borealis @thecarlover
  8. Warren XLT200 6.2 Pro4 @mat1476 & @mcp928
  9. DMC Savannah 9100 @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
  10. FWM Ranier T150 @Vena.Sera423 (promoted thanks to the Piedmont’s demotion)
25 Likes

And deservedly so - I thought the big white Innis would win, but something came along and stole its thunder by somehow outperforming it in many key aspects.

Anyway, this was the best round you have ever hosted - even more so than CSR 121, and it sets the bar very high for CSR 131.