The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

My bad, I didn’t see that despite checking multiple times!

Phale is right; glued aluminium would explain your stats and it’s not good for mass production so, D’oh! Better luck next time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

true. and price would be also my downfall.
as i finished my car pretty early and thought that $19k was generously cheap.
until i saw the competitor posts… no. it wasn’t cheap. i certainly won’t be winning price wise

but then again. we’re all guessing just how much enthusiast car is built per period of time?
it’s certainly is being mass produced, but not as mass produced as a corolla or a civic is it?

also, my car weighs about the same as the real 86. which says something about my choices :stuck_out_tongue:

#####but i just end up curious about that magnesium block engines anyway.

1 Like

After reading the next round of cuts I was shocked to find out that @4LGE’s entry had not been cut earlier despite its glued aluminum chassis, which restricts any car using it to limited rather than full production. I am quite sure it would have been more likely to make the next round of cuts if it had been given dual reverse-flow mufflers.

As was evident in his entry post, Leo loves Toyotas for their everyman averageness (or, in another word, mediocrity). He does not respect them for their sporting prowess, and I guess that explains everything about the entry: the car built was what he thought Toyota was in the habit of building and not what Toyota ought to be building.

We’re down to four entries now, right?

EDIT: [quote=“abg7, post:3667, topic:6447”]
if it had been given dual reverse-flow mufflers.
[/quote]

That’s way overkill. The current exhaust system is kind of broken in that there’s not much advantage in giving dual reverse mufflers over dual baffled. They’re expensive and heavy where the baffled mufflers are cheap and light and if you up the tech a bit, they somehow provide helpful flow regulation that increases midrange torque at minimal expense of horsepower (and if you are encountering a lot of top end flow restriction and you want the last few HP, just use bypass valves, it’s not like you like your neighbours if you’re revving it to 9k on the driveway anyway :joy:).

IIRC the exhaust system will be revamped down the track, to a slider which basically says: softer and more restricted versus sportier and less restricted.

4 Likes

That’s interesting to change it to sliders but makes sense. Do you know if they plan to do the same for interiors? Since it’s a similar issue and sliders would do the same things more or less.

Now to get back on topic I think unless we have any hidden entries you’re right we might be down to the final four entries. HOL is doing a great job with all these reviews so far I’m eager to see where it this all ends up.

Part V - The final Countdown!!!

This is it. The crunch. Three cars, one winner. But who will it be? Read on and all shall be revealed!!! Mwahahahahaaa!!!

GTC Concept II by @Rk38: 4:46.49

This car is great. Fits the brief perfectly. It is styled well, tuned well and smart decisions were made at every step.

AE88 by @strop: 4:38.89

Strop. Says it all really. The AE88 is a car that does it all well, and at a higher level than Rk38’s entry. But the styling is awesome! Strop has fixed the Hachiroku’s designs lack of cohesion with the rest of Toyota’s range and, IMO, the result is fantastic!!! One word: Brilliant!!!

2000GT by @EnryGT5: 4:36.48

Nicely executed styling coated in a handsome shade of blue. As per strop, this car does everything well and improves upon Rk38’s effort. I’m speechless at the quality of this car!

The verdict

Two more stats are required to seperate the three front runners, as I’m not looking for sheer speed but value for money. The first metric chosen was fuel economy. Why? Because everyone cares about how much fuel they burn and this is a clear case of less is more…

GTC-C2: 5.5L/100Km
AE88: 5.9L/100Km
2000GT: 5.7L/100Km

Ah, I hear you say, economy sux ballsack and I wanna go fast! Well here’s the savvy on the 0-100Km/h stats…

GTC-C2: 5.3 sec
AE88: 5.0 sec
2000GT: 5.1 sec

Well, it’s still too close to call and eagle-eyed readers would have seen that the Haruna Downhill was won by the 2000GT so we’re going to use price to seperate the top three and crown a winner. I haven’t harshly judged value for money up to now because I set a too high budget but the build cost is literally what split the three apart for me! So, the prices for the three contenders are…

GTC-C2: $15900 each
AE88: $16000 each
2000GT: $14600 each

So, because the 2000GT is quicker than the GTC-Concept II and is cheaper than the AE88 while being faster down the downhill than both, I declare…

The 2000GT is the winner!:heart_eyes::triumph::heart_eyes:

Congratulations EnryGT5 on a hard fought win and Toyota will be sending around their lawyers shortly to sign the contracts! :sunglasses:

10 Likes

well… clearly. practically is worth an ant’s shit…

all the finalist have <10 practicality??

edit:

sorry if that sounds negative. i’m a litle salty about something irl

As was I! I’ve been at it non-stop from 10AM and I double checked every entry… Turns out I’m human after all!

I hope he drives a RL Hachiroku one day; they’re genuinely entertaining![quote=“koolkei, post:3671, topic:6447”]
well… clearly. practically is worth an ant’s shit…
[/quote]

It’s an artifact of the bodies used. RL those cars’d have plenty of room for stuff! :grin:

#[color=red][alpha]FUCK![/alpha][/color]
#[color=red][alpha]FUCK![/alpha][/color]
The one challenge I could I enter I messed up by forgetting the submission date :sob:
fmkillmeidontwanttobeonthisforumanymore

2 Likes

PM me your car and I’ll do you a “what if”. I’m currently doing one for Phale so, send it in!

3 Likes

I’m not even at home! I can’t send anything in for another 3 hours :cry: you’ll just have to go on without me, there’s always the next round

2 Likes

Wait a minute how did mine end up costing$18,900? In my game, it’s only $15,900 (0% markup)

Edit: It’s been fixed now :stuck_out_tongue:

Congrats to @EnryGT5 for winning with an exceptional value for money and performance package.

Thanks to @HighOctaneLove for hosting this round.

@strop seems like the Aston body wasn’t the right choice in the end. I think I probably focused too much on economy too.

DAT SNIPE EDIT!

Damn good job @EnryGT5. A final base price of 14600… I have but one question.

…how???

I know I put up the tech somewhat fierce in some places, but 14.6k is ridiculous! And to spank my car on the downhill, at that… I’m actually kind of embarrassed by that :sweat_smile: But in a way this was definitely Enry’s home turf, so not that embarrassed!

@ramthecowy poor pepe. First being appropriated by Trumpian nationalists, now this :joy:

@Rk38 Not even, I didn’t see you being dq’ed on grounds of overly long wheelbase! I really don’t know what Enry did to make the car that much cheaper… and I assume the total reliability was well up for it too, right?

Edit: I can’t help but feel a little savoury (not quite salty), because as you may be able to tell, I actually put in a lot of effort into this round but I was absolutely objectively and fairly beaten. But that’s not why I’m feeling savoury, it’s just that somehow, I have a pretty decent track record outside this thread but every time I make a serious tilt at the title on the thread I created, I never make better than 2nd or 3rd :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Merely a typo, your car saved correctly!

I’m looking forward to what the next round brings as well! :grin:

3 Likes

Congratulations to @EnryGT5 on a first win. What will he ask us to build in the next round? By the way, the 2000GT revival he submitted could not have looked better or had a more appropriate name. It may even be developed further into something more extreme according to company lore.

And @ramthecowy please make sure to check the submission deadline next time, and also try to find out what that equates to in your time zone. This also applies to other users, including myself.

1 Like

God I am so disappointed in myself…

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

also the top 3 times pretty much OP, no more room for the NA i guess

Tis the sad reality on the metrics.

I for one welcome our new forced induction overlords.

1 Like

Good old Toyota, going with the lowest bidder :stuck_out_tongue: But seriously, that’s some pretty impressive work @EnryGT5! You’ve got me curious what the stats for the 2000GT are…

2 Likes